The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:21:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Keyboard experts?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keyboard experts?  (Read 2126 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 12:46:30 pm »

Agreed - but very much a one off & a bit like Leicester winning the Prem

McHammer is right though - getting out of this very poor league next year, whilst certainly not nailed on, is a real possibility - but it will need more than what we currently have to stay there - whilst I'm not going down the Bed's route it is an inescapable fact we have never had that extended plan to stay a level higher and for me does need a more holistic approach both on and off the pitch.

Not quite sure about your claim of a one-off a la Leicester. The Wembley game against Grimsby was our second consecutive appearance (I believe); we then repeated that exploit against Bradford a decade later. Even allowing for the losses; to my mind these appearances are hardly one off events. I don't think MCH is right at all and he maybe at odds with some Forum posters against his suggestion "we are not ready". If we have the opportunity of clawing our way back to League One we should take it? There is no guarantee we will gain promotion next season. Players may go and if the volatility of this board is a barometer it does not take much for the calls for KC head to surface.  Wonder if the supporters of Wrexham, Stockport, Kidderminster , Chesterfield and more recently Bristol Rovers,Oxford and Grimsby would agree with MCH proposal?  This is merely my response (even opinion) to your post and hope it is taken as such.

E&OE.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 15:25:33 pm »

As for players performing better this season than last.  Well maybe that's because it's a division lower and there is a big gap in quality of opposition.

I Going to have to be a lot more enjoyable and easy on the eye style next season though if we are going to achieve anything and win back some of the disappearing punters.

Not sure I agree with either of these comments. The same players only accrued 7 points in 10 games in this division under a different manager earlier this season, so it's not just being a division lower or the quality of the opposition that makes players perform better.

Not sure it needs to be easier on the eye to get out of this division either. Lincoln play the same way that we are starting to play and they should get out of the division comfortably this season.

As to players performing this season better than last, I wouldn't agree with that. Pierre was good last season but was injured around October/November onward and  we badly missed him; Turnbull only joined in January and did OK in the limited number of games he played; Foley was never given a decent run of games in the side; O'Toole hasn't been any better this season than last, ditto Hoskins IMO. I agree that Powell and Buchanan have been much better in this recent run however.

I've maintained all season that the squad we have is good enough for a top 7 spot, even following the battering away to Mansfield before Austin's dismissal. From here a play-off spot is well achievable.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 15:56:40 pm »

As to players performing this season better than last, I wouldn't agree with that. Pierre was good last season but was injured around October/November onward and  we badly missed him; Turnbull only joined in January and did OK in the limited number of games he played; Foley was never given a decent run of games in the side; O'Toole hasn't been any better this season than last, ditto Hoskins IMO. I agree that Powell and Buchanan have been much better in this recent run however.

I've maintained all season that the squad we have is good enough for a top 7 spot, even following the battering away to Mansfield before Austin's dismissal. From here a play-off spot is well achievable.

Two Q's Clarence : where have you been over the past few weeks? The other one is are 'we good enough to achieve making the play offs'. Don't just say yes merely to support your prediction but an in depth analysis preferably after Saturday's result?
Report Spam   Logged

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 21:19:17 pm »

Not quite sure about your claim of a one-off a la Leicester. The Wembley game against Grimsby was our second consecutive appearance (I believe); we then repeated that exploit against Bradford a decade later. Even allowing for the losses; to my mind these appearances are hardly one off events. I don't think MCH is right at all and he maybe at odds with some Forum posters against his suggestion "we are not ready". If we have the opportunity of clawing our way back to League One we should take it? There is no guarantee we will gain promotion next season. Players may go and if the volatility of this board is a barometer it does not take much for the calls for KC head to surface.  Wonder if the supporters of Wrexham, Stockport, Kidderminster , Chesterfield and more recently Bristol Rovers,Oxford and Grimsby would agree with MCH proposal?  This is merely my response (even opinion) to your post and hope it is taken as such.

E&OE.
HE MEANT A POOR SIDE IN TERMS OF THE QUALITY IT HAD GETTING TO WITHIN ONE GAME OF THE SECOND HIGHEST LEAGUE IN THE LAND ---- NOT A TEAM GETTING TO THE PLAY OFF FINAL. SIX TEAMS DO IT EVERY SEASON.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 21:20:49 pm by The 12th Marquis of Sixfields » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 01:05:32 am »

.......................................NOT A TEAM GETTING TO THE PLAY OFF FINAL. SIX TEAMS DO IT EVERY SEASON.

You cannot make a successful argument where the comments expressed are subjective.For instance the assertion made that the Cobblers were lacking in quality is entirely subjective. Cobblerswatch also expressed the opinion that our appearance at Wembley was a one off when it wasn't. Generally poor sides don't make it to the play off finals.  On the situation where MCH concluded that the Cobblers were not good enough to go up and would be better served to get their house in order by next season and then go for it. I merely disagreed ; should the side find themselves in a potential Play Off situation they would I hope make a decent fist of it. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:19:31 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 19:05:43 pm »

Two Q's Clarence : where have you been over the past few weeks? The other one is are 'we good enough to achieve making the play offs'. Don't just say yes merely to support your prediction but an in depth analysis preferably after Saturday's result?

I haven't posted in a while but with no reason in particular Evers, just took a bit of a break.

As to my prediction of the team being good enough for the play-offs, my reasons are much the same as they have been all season.

1. Many on here have said that our squad wasn't good enough as it was the same bunch of players that took us down last season. I didn't and don't agree with this as many of the squad who were here last season didn't have a particularly big part to play in our relegation (Taylor and Buchs were the only players in the squad who started over 20 - I think - matches last season.)
2. Under Austin I believed we were massively under-achieving and were in a false position, and that this was largely due to Austin's mismanagement. Turnbull hardly featured under Austin and Pierre also found himself left out at times when he should have been first name on the team sheet. Austin intimated in interviews that players who weren't being picked 'hadn't done enough in training' to warrant a place in the team, even though the team were playing poorly. I always felt this was madness and frankly, incompetence. This has cost us dearly this season.
3. I've always believed at the start of the season we had a good number of players who are capable off playing at a higher level: Turnbull, Pierre, Foley, O'Toole, Morias, Williams, Crooks and KVV. If Curle had been in charge with these players from the start of the season I have maintained since he was appointed we would have been sitting comfortably in the play-off positions several months ago.
4. Since then we have lost Crooks and VV, but have bought in Goode and Sordell who I also feel are good enough to play at a higher level. The other loan signings (particularly Powell) look good and have improved us. Factor in the emergence of Bridge and improvement in form of a few players (Powell, Buchs and Taylor) and overall I think we are stronger now than we were at the start of the season.
5. This division lacks quality. Bar 2-3 teams I have seen nothing to make me think anybody else is better than us. I predicted when KC took over we wouldn't lose many more games this season if for nothing else that we would be difficult to beat. This has proved correct as we have only lost 5 league matches in 28 since he arrived. Only the top 3 have lost less games than us this season and it wouldn't surprise me if we lost no more than 1 other game in the remaining matches.
6. Our run-in looks decent, we really have nothing to fear. Many of the teams above us have to play each other so they will drop points.
7. With 8 games unbeaten we are building momentum at just the right time. I actually think we will get stronger as the season draws to a close, as the team will continue to grow in confidence and we are still to get Morias back into the squad. I also fancy Sordell to make a bigger impact than he has so far.

All things considered I think we have a great chance of nicking one of the last two spots. I expect it to go down to the last  couple of matches whatever happens.
Report Spam   Logged
Lukey

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 13:29:30 pm »

Jordan Archer (Millwall) got selected for the Scotland squad!!!

Does that count? I mean looking at Scotland's performance the other evening against a team who would struggle in the conference... And Scotland lost to them, I wouldn't say a Scotland call up means you are a good player.

All in all, football is about opinions and that's why club forums get so many posters because it sparks for a great debate... Sometimes.

If a Cobblers fan says a player was rubbish, I'm sure he or she is referring to when the players was at Sixyfields, we see it all the time where a players moves and flourishes in a team with 10 new teammates around him, maybe they play to his strengths, but that doesn't change the fact that he might have been rubbish when he was here - thus meaning they are accurately describing their rating of a player at that period.
Report Spam   Logged

Prejudice cannot be hidden,
Arrogance for the color of skin.
Its ugly head is here again
Racism is lurking within.

"Cynthia BuhainBaello"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: