The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 04:59:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Our much debated goalkeeper

Poll
Question: Does KC need a new jigsaw piece in goal?
We need a new first choice keeper - 29 (50.9%)
Cornell's good enough, Spend the money elsewhere - 28 (49.1%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our much debated goalkeeper  (Read 5763 times)
guest2995

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2019, 22:48:23 pm »

What do you mean?
You seem to me someone that just watches the goal highlights and has no real experience of the game .
I bet you have never played have you ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2019, 07:45:52 am »

Oh no here we go. Not only do you have to go to every game but you also have to have played the game to at least Championship level, refereed for no less than 7 seasons at professional level, been a Chairman of at least 4 clubs (including one Scottish), studied coaching under Bill Shankly and served in the Sixfields Tavern behind the bar under Mick McManus to offer an opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2019, 08:40:06 am »

Your preamble is simply incorrect - the point it helps to be actually at a game. You have a very biased opinion and you go to extraordinary lengths to prove your point. Plenty of supporters don’t necessarily go to all the games but still offer a perfectly reasonable point of view. Have another think about the defences contribution to your perceived myriad of mistakes by Cornell. 

Last season I criticised certain defenders (Buchanan and Taylor mainly) just as much a I criticised Cornell. However their failings don't mitigate the goalkeeping mistakes made in the examples I listed.

But OK, let's have a closer look at our dreadful defence in terms of stats.

Last season our defence restricted the opposition to a total of 179 goal attempts on target.

Cornell was beaten 63 times from 179 saves he had to make. So Cornell was beaten on average once for every 2.8 shots in which he had to save.

Mansfield had the best defence in the league with only 41 conceded. Over the 46 matches their defence restricted the opposition to 165 attempts on target.

So Mansfield's GK(s) were beaten 41 times from 165 attempts on goal. An average of 1 goal conceded for every 4 attempt on target.

Cobblers conceded over 50% more goals than Mansfield, despite restricting the opposition to less than 10% more attempts on target.

These stats indicate that Mansfield's defence (the meanest in the division) didn't protect their 'keeper(s) much more than Cobblers' defence (17th worst in the league) protected theirs. Interesting stuff!
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2019, 08:47:47 am »

The usual spin presented as clear cut fact by Clarence . So much of what you say is dubious at best but is articulated as though it were clear evidence.
Name me a goalkeeper in any league who can be free of any type of blame throughout a season. Let alone one in division 2.
Cornell had a decent first full season and deserved both credit and his place .

You're right, every goalkeeper is liable to mistakes, just not that many.

I agree that Cornell deserves credit, he was thrown in at the deep end showed good character throughout the season. I don't blame Cornell or remotely dislike him. My ire is mostly saved for Austin for not bringing in a first choice/stronger competition over the summer much like his failure to bring in a left back to replace the outgoing Bunney. Both were terrible mistakes.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2019, 08:56:59 am »

‘A tad harsh methinks’  - do I detect some gentle sarcasm? As for Clarence after reading his analysis of our goal keeper; so full of angst that he has got 11 Cornell’s on the pitch! Then he calls that fair minded opinion 😳

Point out the examples I list where you think Cornell wasn't at fault.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2019, 08:58:14 am »

You seem to me someone that just watches the goal highlights and has no real experience of the game .
I bet you have never played have you ?

Really, how very dare you. I'll have you know I'm proficient at FIFA '18 at semi-pro level and play every week.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2019, 10:18:59 am »

Oh no here we go. Not only do you have to go to every game but you also have to have played the game to at least Championship level, refereed for no less than 7 seasons at professional level, been a Chairman of at least 4 clubs (including one Scottish), studied coaching under Bill Shankly and served in the Sixfields Tavern behind the bar under Mick McManus to offer an opinion.

Bit simplistic ; who says you have to go to every game ?  Cornell’s ott critics seem to rely on videos!  The fairest comment seems to come from those who are unable to attend on regular basis. Opinions based on bigotry and abusive comments are hardly opinions?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 10:36:58 am »

Point out the examples I list where you think Cornell wasn't at fault.

I don’t have to; you do it? Better still give some time and analyses on those actions which prevented goals. Doing this will reflect on you having at last a reputation as a fair minded supporter. 

Amended :  didnt realize that Clarence was a youngster!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 13:44:06 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 11:08:13 am »

I don’t have to; you do it? Better still give some time and analyses on those actions which prevented goals. Doing this will reflect on you having at last a reputation as a fair minded supporter.  I take your boast of having fifa credentials and semi pro too with a pinch of salt. If this was the case you would have some sympathy for Cornell as pro”s stick together.

You are aware that FIFA 18 is what is known as a "video game", something very popular with the yoof of today?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2019, 11:15:25 am »

You are aware that FIFA 18 is what is known as a "video game", something very popular with the yoof of today?

Thanks no idea - typical Clarence always misleading🐝😎
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 12:35:37 pm »

Grin

Did make me chuckle this!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 13:14:19 pm »

Grin

Did make me chuckle this!

Absolutely no idea Drilling - good job you are into computer games!
Who did you vote for?
Report Spam   Logged

guest3086

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 17:18:25 pm »

Bit simplistic ; who says you have to go to every game ?  Cornell’s ott critics seem to rely on videos!  The fairest comment seems to come from those who are unable to attend on regular basis. Opinions based on bigotry and abusive comments are hardly opinions?

I am sorry to inform you that 'opinions based on bigotry' are in fact still opinions. As for 'the fairest comment seems to come from those who are unable to attend on a regular basis' is an odd statement for you to make isn't it?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 21:38:16 pm »

I am sorry to inform you that 'opinions based on bigotry' are in fact still opinions. As for 'the fairest comment seems to come from those who are unable to attend on a regular basis' is an odd statement for you to make isn't it?

Due to various mishaps I missed quite a few games last season particularly Nov to Jan. If you feel that bigoted and abusive comments on players is a respectable and/or acceptable form of comment that's a pretty sad way of expressing an 'opinion'. Still ......
Report Spam   Logged

ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2019, 09:46:00 am »

Due to various mishaps I missed quite a few games last season particularly Nov to Jan. If you feel that bigoted and abusive comments on players is a respectable and/or acceptable form of comment that's a pretty sad way of expressing an 'opinion'. Still ......

From earlier comments by you it seems you think my opinions on Cornell are 'bigoted' and 'abusive', unless I'm mistaken?

If I'm not mistaken then in what way are my observations of Cornell's shortcoming's expressed in a bigoted or abusive manner?

I was asked about saves Cornell had made and I made a post highlighting that the opposition only managed 14 more shots on our goal last season than they did against Mansfield, who conceded over 50% less goals than us. What are your thoughts on those stats, considering your views on our 'dreadful' defence?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:49:41 am by ClarenceInDefence » Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2019, 11:04:48 am »

From earlier comments by you it seems you think my opinions on Cornell are 'bigoted' and 'abusive', unless I'm mistaken?

Don't worry CID, Evers labels all opinions that are not in line with their own as:

Bias, Bigoted, Abusive, Racist, Sexist etc. (delete as applicable)

He simply can't comprehend that people genuinely hold opinions that differ to his, so he must label them in a negative way.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2019, 12:37:33 pm »

Absolutely no idea Drilling - good job you are into computer games!
Who did you vote for?

Im not into computer games, just young enough to have been into computer games!  Grin

I 'voted' to spend the £ elsewhere. I'm in support of KC's new goal keeper signing mind; I can see the reasoning's; he will either get the shirt or Cornell may well improve still further.

I like Cornell. I've stated a few times previously, that I've gone full circle. A year ago, thought he was useless. But last season, I thought he was very decent most of the time.

As some others have stated, he does have weaknesses, saving 'long range low shots' being one of them. But his reading of the game is outstanding, the amount of goals/one on ones he's saved by charging out of his area has escaped a lot of peoples attentions.  His distribution I think is also rather decent most of the time.

Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2019, 12:52:20 pm »

Im not into computer games, just young enough to have been into computer games!  Grin

I 'voted' to spend the £ elsewhere. I'm in support of KC's new goal keeper signing mind; I can see the reasoning's; he will either get the shirt or Cornell may well improve still further.

I like Cornell. I've stated a few times previously, that I've gone full circle. A year ago, thought he was useless. But last season, I thought he was very decent most of the time.

As some others have stated, he does have weaknesses, saving 'long range low shots' being one of them. But his reading of the game is outstanding, the amount of goals/one on ones he's saved by charging out of his area has escaped a lot of peoples attentions.  His distribution I think is also rather decent most of the time.

i agree with the strengths you highlight, i think he is a good close range, reaction shot stopper and he handles one on ones well. I would add to the weaknesses that he certainly doesn't come out to claim enough crosses. one on ones he does well, but aerial cross collections, not so much.

I also don't like the speed of his distribution, its far too slow. but this could be tactics and instructions from the manager rather than a Cornell weakness.

Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2019, 13:06:01 pm »

I also don't like the speed of his distribution, its far too slow. but this could be tactics and instructions from the manager rather than a Cornell weakness.

Curle lost his rag with Cornell on the touchline several times last season, seemingly for exactly this.
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2019, 13:26:45 pm »

Curle lost his rag with Cornell on the touchline several times last season, seemingly for exactly this.

maybe it is down to Cornell then. The south section of the west stand were audibly frustrated on several occasions last year when we were trailing at home and Cornell was extremely slow to distribute and get the game flowing again.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: