The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:33:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Our much debated goalkeeper

Poll
Question: Does KC need a new jigsaw piece in goal?
We need a new first choice keeper - 29 (50.9%)
Cornell's good enough, Spend the money elsewhere - 28 (49.1%)
Total Voters: 53

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our much debated goalkeeper  (Read 5676 times)
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 13:58:58 pm »

Im not into computer games, just young enough to have been into computer games!  Grin

I 'voted' to spend the £ elsewhere. I'm in support of KC's new goal keeper signing mind; I can see the reasoning's; he will either get the shirt or Cornell may well improve still further.

I like Cornell. I've stated a few times previously, that I've gone full circle. A year ago, thought he was useless. But last season, I thought he was very decent most of the time.

As some others have stated, he does have weaknesses, saving 'long range low shots' being one of them. But his reading of the game is outstanding, the amount of goals/one on ones he's saved by charging out of his area has escaped a lot of peoples attentions.  His distribution I think is also rather decent most of the time.

I voted 'yes' but this poll was set-up before the new keeper was signed. I'm satisfied now that Curle has bought in his own man and that he will at the very least provide tougher competition for the jersey.

Not sure I agree with your estimation of Cornell's ability to read the game though, in fact I would say it's one of his weaknesses. I think he has a strong tendency to rush out way too easily. Sometimes he does this and beats the attacker to the ball, kicking it into touch but there really wasn't enough danger for him to have to do that and it would have been dealt with by the defence anyway.

I think Cornell is an adequate number 2 at this level but with some obvious weaknesses. However he's still got time in his career to improve on certain parts of his game, especially the above.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 14:06:25 pm »

i agree with the strengths you highlight, i think he is a good close range, reaction shot stopper and he handles one on ones well. I would add to the weaknesses that he certainly doesn't come out to claim enough crosses. one on ones he does well, but aerial cross collections, not so much.

I also don't like the speed of his distribution, its far too slow. but this could be tactics and instructions from the manager rather than a Cornell weakness.

At this level I think Cornell is a solid close-range shot-stopper with decent reflexes, who has a strong character and adequate distribution.

His weaknesses are on coming for crosses, commanding his area and his reading of the game. I think his long-range shot-stopping is below average for this level as well.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 19:40:32 pm »

At this level I think Cornell is a solid close-range shot-stopper with decent reflexes, who has a strong character and adequate distribution.

His weaknesses are on coming for crosses, commanding his area and his reading of the game. I think his long-range shot-stopping is below average for this level as well.

Clearly you both were not at the Yeovil game were he made first class save from shot well outside the area.
I would say his weakness is covering wide angled shots but having criticised him for that v Bury I was promptly admonished by fellow fan who said he had no chance. I think the problem is your perceived inaccurate criticism most of which is unfair and generally unsubstantiated. I would suggest you have not allowed any lateral thinking which maybe due to your personality.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 20:39:03 pm »

Clearly you both were not at the Yeovil game were he made first class save from shot well outside the area.
I would say his weakness is covering wide angled shots but having criticised him for that v Bury I was promptly admonished by fellow fan who said he had no chance. I think the problem is your perceived inaccurate criticism most of which is unfair and generally unsubstantiated. I would suggest you have not allowed any lateral thinking which maybe due to your personality.

Where did I say he had never made a good save from a shot from outside the area? Does having an opinion that this is one of his weaknesses mean that every long-ranger on-target goes in? Hoskins scored a 30 yard screamer against Oldham but you'd hardly call scoring long-range screamers one of his strong points would you?

They really need a crying-out-loud-laughing-emoji to sum up my feelings for the rest of your post! I suggest you look up the meaning of projection Evers.  Wink

I'm still waiting for your answer to the stats I posted comparing the shots on target to conceded ratio for Mansfield's 'keeper(s) and those for Cornell btw.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 21:21:12 pm »

Where did I say he had never made a good save from a shot from outside the area? Does having an opinion that this is one of his weaknesses mean that every long-ranger on-target goes in? Hoskins scored a 30 yard screamer against Oldham but you'd hardly call scoring long-range screamers one of his strong points would you?

They really need a crying-out-loud-laughing-emoji to sum up my feelings for the rest of your post! I suggest you look up the meaning of projection Evers.  Wink

I'm still waiting for your answer to the stats I posted comparing the shots on target to conceded ratio for Mansfield's 'keeper(s) and those for Cornell btw.
Did you compare the strike to score ratio of the goalscorers who netted against Mansfield with those who scored against us Clarence?
Those offered chances by our defence might be better statistical goalscorers than those offered chances by the Mansfield defence.
If you want to employ statistics as an answer to everything, that is.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 22:08:16 pm »

Your comments in bold - no idea how you came to that conclusion(s)?  Why bring Hoskins into the argument? Are you telling me you rely on emoji's Grin  ?

Nobody in their right mind is going to challenge your stats - they are merely a psychological projection you employ to safe guard your absurd
theories on Cornell.  Simply give the guy a break don't look for perceived errors all the time - and then spend two days on meaningless presentation of obscure facts.
Report Spam   Logged

threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 06:51:03 am »

I think Cornell is an adequate number 2 at this level

a polite way of saying he isn't good enough for this level
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 10:36:49 am »

My opinion is based on attending many games last season, and try to disprove my analysis of Cornell's strengths and weaknesses with a single incident from a single game as evidence.

By your own logic...i attended more games than you did last season so my opinion is superior to yours anyway Evers, end of discussion.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2019, 18:42:49 pm »

My opinion is based on attending many games last season, and try to disprove my analysis of Cornell's strengths and weaknesses with a single incident from a single game as evidence.

By your own logic...i attended more games than you did last season so my opinion is superior to yours anyway Evers, end of discussion.

As usual you base your argument on false logic! For the last time I repeat once again ; I appreciate any comments and it is irrelevant whether a fan goes or not. I don’t like repetitive abusive comments on Cornell and Hoskins. These comments more often than not are unfair, false and opportunistic.
I hope you get my drift  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2019, 19:50:10 pm »

I appreciate any comments and it is irrelevant whether a fan goes or not.
I have a funny feeling, that this comment may come back to bite you.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2019, 20:51:04 pm »

I have a funny feeling, that this comment may come back to bite you.

Me too as by your comment you appear to have missed the point Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: