The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:41:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Squad Appraisal for Next Season

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squad Appraisal for Next Season  (Read 6571 times)
threeinabed

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 12:08:19 pm »

I would get rid of Hoskins as well but I don’t think that’s likely bearing in mind he started nearly every game for KC .

quite a few did - but they arent here anymore, or will be replaced by the new signings.
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 12:18:47 pm »

Little Sam is O.K. as a squad player, but he'll probably be released at the end of his contract. No need to pay him off to hasten his departure.
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 14:10:08 pm »

I think there will be three more signings , providing Waters , Powell and Bunney leave .
That makes a squad of 18 senior players and the young lads promoted last year will complete the squad .

Technically, isn't Powell already off our books? He's not with us unless he signs the deal on offer.

In my opinion, it's a shame Bunney isn't able to settle down here, as I reckon he would be an excellent fit in how this squad is shaping up.

Got that bit of extra pace too, which it looks like we are still lacking a bit.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 14:16:21 pm »

Little Sam is O.K. as a squad player, but he'll probably be released at the end of his contract. No need to pay him off to hasten his departure.

My last sight of SH was at Oldham where he played well and scored a great goal.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 14:16:33 pm »

Bunney might well be on quite big wages because he came in on the Chinese
Promise .
I doubt he will return here

Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 14:17:49 pm »

Goalkeeper

It appears that Arnold will be our new No.1 with Cornell as back-up. I suspect Cornell may get some game time as our cup keeper as he's been quite good at saving penalties and Bradley Lashley may stick around the squad until Christmas before being loaned out to get some experience.

ACTION: None

Centre Backs

It seems KC is set on playing a back 3 and we are currently a little light in this department. A lot of talk about Pierre moving on however we should get some decent money for him to fund an adequate replacement. I'm happy with Turnbull on the left-hand side of 3. I think Jay Williams will stay around the squad and play a bit more than last season. Having watched him at Cheltenham, I think Ryan Hughes might benefit from a stint out on loan as I don’t think he’s quite ready for the first team.

ACTION: Replace Pierre if he leaves, sign a right-sided centre back and possibly a utility player who can play across any of the defensive positions.

Right Wing Back

There’s been some talk about Nicky Adams excelling in this position last season and it will be interesting to see how KC utilises him. I think Shaun McWilliams would do a decent job there and of course Cam McWilliams provides further back up.

ACTION: I don’t envisage any further transfer activity in this position.

Left Wing Back

I think Joe Martin will nail down this position although his recent fitness issues might mean we need to back-up in this position (unless Turnbull can cover). I didn’t see much of George Cox last season to judge but KC was happy to have him around the squad even when injured so I guess a younger player would be a sensible understudy

ACTION: Sign an understudy to Martin (possibly a youngster in on loan)

Defensive Midfield

A welcome sight for us to sign our first defensive midfielder since Jason Taylor. At 35 I think we’ll have to manage him and if we can get him to play in 70-80% of our league games we’ll be competitive.

ACTION: A DM is a bit of luxury at this level, so I don’t think there’ll be further signings in this position

Central Midfield

I think Chris Lines will be a starter with either Watson, Pollock or Shaun McWilliams alongside.

ACTION: I would have preferred the balance of having a left footer in central midfield someone in the Danny Rose mould, but I don’t think we’ll see any further movement in this position.

Right Wing

I’m not sure how much KC plans to utilise wingers next season but it’s always good to have a little bit of pace / trickery on the wing even if only as impact substitutes. As will are still lumbered with Hoskins, I guess he will take up this role in the squad. I’m hoping to see a bit more of Sean Whaler this season who might get some game time in the cup competitions

Left Wing

I think much depends on whether Daniel Powell stays or goes for this position. Personally, would be happy to see him leave and I think we can find a better replacement who at least seems half interested. I’d like to see more of Morgan Roberts who again might have a chance of some minutes in the cup games.

ACTION: Sign a left sided winger / attacking player

Attacking Midfield

A lot seems to be resting of Matty Warburton’s shoulders in this position to bring some creativity to the side. One thing he will benefit from is having some battle-hardened League 2 pros alongside him to win the battles and allow him space to flourish. Always a bit of a **** taking someone from down the leagues, and I hope this one comes off.

Strikers

I think Harry Smith will be leading the line-up top on his own and he should get plenty of chances with players like Adams and Lines supplying crosses. I don’t think either Andy Williams or Morias are in KC’s plans, but they could both be useful squad players over the course of a season. I doubt either would be happy with that and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some further movement in this position.

ACTION: Replace either Andy Williams or Morias if they leave

At centre back, Ryan Hughes is good enough and played more games on loan than any other youth player. I expect either Ryan or Jay to start in this position next season, but it would be imprudent to throw them both in together. They are different types of CB. At RB we need another player for me. Attacking midfield, I think Scott can cover here. It's a more natural position for him than holding midfield. Look a bit light on the left. Maybe a utility left-sided player. The other thing to factor in is how the squad start pre-season. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a young player will force himself into the reckoning that we're not even thinking about at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 14:19:10 pm »

Agree with most of your analysis.

I can still see another 5-6 players coming in, more if there are further departures, which wouldn't surprise me.

Likely incomings: RB, CB, LB, 2 Attacking MF, LW.

GK: Cornell, Arnold
RB: New Signing, C.McWilliams
LB: Martin, New Signing
CB: Pierre, Turnbull, J.Williams, New Signing
MF: McCormack, Watson, Lines, McWilliams, Pollock
AM: Warburton, New Signing, New Signing
RW/LW: Adams, New Signing
FW: Smith, Williams, Morias, Hoskins

plus Roberts and Whaler to continue to pick up experience on the fringes of the squad.

That makes a squad of 26 which I think would be about right.

5 or 6 new players on top of those signed upto Thursday - you are winding us up you naughty boy.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 14:32:35 pm »

There will be 18 players plus the 7 under 23s that will have a specific coach
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 14:48:57 pm »

Who are the 7? I'm guessing not S.McWilliams and Pollock/Roberts?
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 15:10:29 pm »

Got that bit of extra pace too, which it looks like we are still lacking a bit.

bunney?!

seriously?!

Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 15:11:02 pm »

I think there will be three more signings , providing Waters , Powell and Bunney leave .
That makes a squad of 18 senior players and the young lads promoted last year will complete the squad .

Yet you've previously said you believe there will be 2 centre-backs coming in, which you now state is dependent on 2 attacking players and a wing back moving on.

If Bunney goes we will need second LB, if Powell does not sign then we will need another wide player. Add your 2 CB's and we're up to 4 already.

I still think 5 more in is very possible.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 15:13:32 pm »

Who are the 7? I'm guessing not S.McWilliams and Pollock/Roberts?

S.McWilliams, Pollock, Whaler, Roberts, J.Williams, C.McWilliams, ?

Possibly a stretch to put S.McWilliams in as one of the 7.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 15:18:20 pm »

S.McWilliams, Pollock, Whaler, Roberts, J.Williams, C.McWilliams, ?

Possibly a stretch to put S.McWilliams in as one of the 7.

Ryan Hughes & Jack Newell plus all you mention except Shaun McWilliams.

Bradley Lashley also, but he'll be working with the goalkeeper coach.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 15:33:12 pm »

Yet you've previously said you believe there will be 2 centre-backs coming in, which you now state is dependent on 2 attacking players and a wing back moving on.

If Bunney goes we will need second LB, if Powell does not sign then we will need another wide player. Add your 2 CB's and we're up to 4 already.

I still think 5 more in is very possible.

I don’t know who is specifically coming in or in what positions but I do know it’s 18 plus 7
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 15:57:15 pm »

I don’t know who is specifically coming in or in what positions but I do know it’s 18 plus 7

We currently have a squad of 23 plus Waters & Bunney.

Cornell, Arnold, Lashley; C. McWilliams, Martin, Pierre, Turnbull, Hughes, J.Williams; S.McWilliams, Pollock, Newell, Lines, Watson, McCormack; Whaler, Roberts, Adams, Warburton; Hoskins, A.Williams, Morias, Smith.

So, only 2 needed? Couple of centre halves possibly. One that can cover right back (Goode?) and one that can cover left back - however Turnbull can already do this role.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 16:45:20 pm »

bunney?!

seriously?!

Bunney pace......hahahahhahhhhhaaaahhhahahahahah
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2995

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 16:50:52 pm »

We currently have a squad of 23 plus Waters & Bunney.

Cornell, Arnold, Lashley; C. McWilliams, Martin, Pierre, Turnbull, Hughes, J.Williams; S.McWilliams, Pollock, Newell, Lines, Watson, McCormack; Whaler, Roberts, Adams, Warburton; Hoskins, A.Williams, Morias, Smith.

So, only 2 needed? Couple of centre halves possibly. One that can cover right back (Goode?) and one that can cover left back - however Turnbull can already do this role.
I think your assumption is exactly right , although I’m not sure Lashley was included in the 25 because that makes 8 youngsters not 7. I think there will be 3 more new players coming in providing Bunney and Waters go. We have very few full back options and no pace down the left currently.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 21:03:47 pm »

Ryan Hughes & Jack Newell plus all you mention except Shaun McWilliams.

Bradley Lashley also, but he'll be working with the goalkeeper coach.
Whaler isn't one of the 7. He's a year older.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 21:46:31 pm »

Whaler isn't one of the 7. He's a year older.
I would think he will be part of that development group though .
If 3 of the 7 come through as first team regulars , it would be a real success.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 21:52:26 pm »

I would think he will be part of that development group though .
If 3 of the 7 come through as first team regulars , it would be a real success.
I agree, but personally, I think more of the 7 will be successful professionally.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: