The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:23:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

NEWS: Pierre sold to Shrewsbury Town

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEWS: Pierre sold to Shrewsbury Town  (Read 6856 times)
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 08:51:56 am »

Disappointing news, but there was always a chance he would be leaving us this summer.

While he was deservedly our player of the season last year, I believe that no-one at this level is irreplaceable and I trust Curle to use any fee received plus the likely high wages freed up by his departure to bring in a strong replacement and also strengthen other areas.
Report Spam   Logged
LawfordCob

View Profile
Level 4 Fifth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 08:52:00 am »

Agreed, we were all hoping that it wouldn't happen but it was almost inevitable that he wouldn't be a Cobblers player this coming season.  It was just a case of when he/they decided where to and when he would go.  Hopefully the fee is sufficient to bring in an appropriate replacement.  Has de ligt confirmed his move to Juve yet?

Who will be the skipper for the 2019/20 season?

Alan McCormack?
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 09:12:34 am »

Gutted to see him go as he was excellent last season and it seemed like he and KC got along very well. Don’t believe anyone is irreplaceable at this level though and at least the deal has been done early enough for us to hopefully find a good replacement.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 09:50:03 am »

Really hope we go back 4 not back 5 next season
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 09:50:27 am »

He is a life-long supporter doing his bit to expose the failings of our owners. 

But havent these owners been lauded over the last month for the great support they showed KC in bringing new players?
Or maybe the Pierre money has already been spent on bringing the new players in?
I guess its watch this space....
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 10:02:03 am »

Gutted he has gone but here is my 2 pence,

• Undisclosed Fee - If you cant work out why you would not tell your rivals and suppliers how much money you have to burn then I would suggest never going into business.
  • Late announcement - Its not like we have proven that we can be rational with bad news, so why wouldn't you attempt to soften the blow.
  • Lack of ambition - We have made 9 signings and its not even June, Lets see who else comes in.
  • Keeping him against his wishes - Surely we don't need anymore proof after Crooks and Van Veen that keeping players against their will does not really work out a lot of the time.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:04:29 am by Gen.Disorda » Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 10:19:27 am »

Not the greatest move in the world but I suppose Pierre benefits financially and so do the club if we got a fee.
Shows you not many , if any quality clubs were interested though .
We now need three more centre halves in my view .
The good thing about it is that Curle can get the balance of player right . The bad thing is that there is a lot of work to do , particularly if we are playing three at the back .
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 10:28:41 am »

But havent these owners been lauded over the last month for the great support they showed KC in bringing new players?
Or maybe the Pierre money has already been spent on bringing the new players in?
I guess its watch this space....

Not lauded by me.  Our owners are culpable for us being to L2 with their botched managerial appointments resulting in relegation and a consequent reduction in the budget with the inevitable selling off the few pieces of "silver" left in our possession.  In fact, this summer has been a case of one in one out. Pierre leaving has been on the cards for some time.  All we can hope is that KC has got it right with his signings.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 10:52:26 am »

Firstly, gutted he has left. A very fine player.

BUT. And I always try and look at it from the players perspective as well as the club. Would I have left/would I have sold? Yes and Yes...

Pierre is 26, 27 in February. Approaching the peak of his career. Throughout his career he has played all of his football in the bottom league bar one season, a season when he got injured around November time and his team ultimately got relegated.

Pierre has always excelled in league 2. He won Wycombe's player of the year, and also Northampton's. He has starred for two sides at this level, and has never really had the chance in league 1 or above due to injury and circumstances.

He's got one year left on his contract. Is he a natural leader, or just a very decent player? Id say the latter. For the team to progress, for him to progress, Id argue that he needed to leave. On both counts. If he'd stayed, we'd have compromised ourselves by effectively demoting him from captain because some of the new signings look more captains material to me. And Id hazard a guess that a proper leader in his position (someone like Sean Dyche or Clarke Carlise) is needed. Hopefully, his place in the squad together with a rebalance of the wage budget will give KC the opportunity to bring one, or maybe even two of those 'types' in. We shall find out soon.

A progressive club at our level, should in my opinion spend its big bucks (wages wise) on players with a potential significant sell on values or older players with good attitudes who will help those younger members of the squad along the way. Pierre kind of sits bang in the middle. Where we have gone wrong in the past is flogging players too quick...Bradley Johnson, Luke Chambers, Ivan Toney, Michael Jacobs are all prime examples. We should have paid them more, kept them for a bit longer, and then reaped the rewards both on the pitch and in the bank. Think Peterborough. The previous regime would seemingly take the first offer each and every time.

Other than the quick sale of Ricky Holmes, and despite my reservations about our current owners, where I will support them 100% is when it comes to selling players. This time last year, they resisted offers for Crookes (in particular), in the hope we would be challenging near the top of the division. This time round, they have gone full circle. A big clear out, anyone who doesn't want to be here for whatever reason has been moved on or is being moved on...clearing the way for a group of players who are fully committed to the cause to kick start things for us again.

Best of luck to Pierre. I hope his replacement/s don't water down my expectations of a good forthcoming season.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:54:21 am by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 10:57:48 am »

• Undisclosed Fee - If you cant work out why you would not tell your rivals and suppliers how much money you have to burn then I would suggest never going into business.
I always bat this one back with the fact that clubs know we have some money, just because they don't know how much, doesn't make any difference! They might speculate we got 200k when we only got 100k (for example) and jack their prices up accordingly. There is (IMO) no benefit to be gained from keeping transfer fees undisclosed in this way
  • Late announcement - Its not like we have proven that we can be rational with bad news, so why wouldn't you attempt to soften the blow.
We all get to find out eventually, and discuss it at length whenever it is announced, so timing doesn't really come into it!
  • Lack of ambition - We have made 9 signings and its not even June, Lets see who else comes in.
We have also lost 12 players since the end of the season. Big turnover out is going to equal a big turnover in too.
  • Keeping him against his wishes - Surely we don't need anymore proof after Crooks and Van Veen that keeping players against their will does not really work out a lot of the time.
I agree with this one! The move to Shrewsbury was mooted at least six weeks ago, I guess time has passed where other clubs could have come in....but they didn't (at least with an offer to satisfy the club) so off he goes with our best wishes
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
El Carnicero

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 11:04:23 am »

I doubt we'll land someone quite as prolific, but that's not my number one concern when looking for a central defender.

His goals were the primary reason that he ever-so-slightly stood out above the rest, hence the POTY Award in another disappointing season. Replaceable with plenty of time to spare.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 11:14:47 am »

Pierre was certainly good for us but I wouldn’t say he was outstanding .
Shrewsbury / Wycombe / ourselves are his level.
He definitely lacks concentration at times but is a man mountain .
It’s not the same as losing Ricky Holmes put it that way
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 14:43:53 pm »

Pierre was certainly good for us but I wouldn’t say he was outstanding .
Shrewsbury / Wycombe / ourselves are his level.
He definitely lacks concentration at times but is a man mountain .
It’s not the same as losing Ricky Holmes put it that way

It's clearly not the same as losing Ricky Holmes but that's more due to their respective positions. It's easier to find a competent centre back than a player capable of carving open the opposition. Having said that, I'm very sorry to see Pierre go. He was a VERY good centre back at L2 level. Dominant and powerful in defence, makes surging runs forward, scores goals and even has a bit of skill. If he gets a full season I'm sure he'll prove to be one of the best centre backs in L1 as well.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 15:39:02 pm »

Any hope of a sell-on clause in the move just in case?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 15:45:36 pm »

Any hope of a sell-on clause in the move just in case?

Undisclosed  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 19:15:55 pm »

No, of course you can't keep a player beyond his wishes, the two you have named (Crooks and Van Veen) are testimony
 to this.
However, disappointed he hasn't gone to (I believe) his deserved level - the Championship... and thus, almost certainly a higher 'undisclosed' fee!
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2019, 07:38:47 am »

I always bat this one back with the fact that clubs know we have some money, just because they don't know how much, doesn't make any difference! They might speculate we got 200k when we only got 100k (for example) and jack their prices up accordingly. There is (IMO) no benefit to be gained from keeping transfer fees undisclosed in this way
Agree with this, especially at our level, maybe if history is anything to go by it’s more likely that the club don’t want to upset the fans with how little they got for its best player.
Report Spam   Logged
andy scouse

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 08:14:57 am »

This transfer is the worst kept secret on the planet.As soon as last seasonwas over it was odds on Pierre was on his way just like lastseasonwith Crooks and VonVeen.Too many people  contributing to this site need to get real and smell the coffee.The Cobblers have been and always will be a selling club-fact.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2019, 08:57:51 am »

This transfer is the worst kept secret on the planet.As soon as last seasonwas over it was odds on Pierre was on his way just like lastseasonwith Crooks and VonVeen.Too many people  contributing to this site need to get real and smell the coffee.The Cobblers have been and always will be a selling club-fact.
With the exception of about 5 or 6 clubs in the world every club is a selling club, it’s about selling players at the right time and maximising the money we get when selling players. Two things we are a lot worse at than many teams in our league
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 10:56:02 am »

With the exception of about 5 or 6 clubs in the world every club is a selling club, it’s about selling players at the right time and maximising the money we get when selling players. Two things we are a lot worse at than many teams in our league
This is 100% true, Luton have just sold a promising full back for an alleged £8M. Our promising young players usually go for a couple of hundred thousand.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: