The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:29:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Sheffield Wednesday Pre-season

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheffield Wednesday Pre-season  (Read 6752 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2019, 20:28:55 pm »

Not quite sure what people were expecting here looking at the quality Wednesday put out?
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2019, 20:33:41 pm »

Not quite sure what people were expecting here looking at the quality Wednesday put out?

I agree - looking at their attacking options they have no excuses not to be there or thereabouts this season, it’s a bit disappointing though at this stage to be looking thin on the ground and players playing out of position. It would be quite nice if James heneghan started being a journalist and asked KC a few a questions about the nature of the injuries and where we are on bringing more quality in.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2019, 20:34:15 pm »

There are only 2 sensible pre-season fixtures this year 'Cov' and 'Franchise' - the others are positively negative (if that is possible).
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2019, 20:36:23 pm »

Didn’t go so not going to judge, but Wednesday will have had quality, they’re a decent outfit two divisions above.
For us, I would expect a decent performance, lots of effort, did we get that??

Team selection and formation sounded a bit strange, more square pegs? A few players missing who have not yet featured despite a pre season and a fitness camp abroad, and a trialist striker on the bench who doesn’t get a mention in the report...did he get on?

Still early days.....more quality to come on Saturday....!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2019, 20:38:22 pm »

Didn’t go so not going to judge, but Wednesday will have had quality, they’re a decent outfit two divisions above.
For us, I would expect a decent performance, lots of effort, did we get that??

Team selection and formation sounded a bit strange, more square pegs? A few players missing who have not yet featured despite a pre season and a fitness camp abroad, and a trialist striker on the bench who doesn’t get a mention in the report...did he get on?

Still early days.....more quality to come on Saturday....!
Apart from the first few mins and the last it was pretty poor, and whatever the question is Bunney isn’t the answer
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2019, 21:06:37 pm »

I agree - looking at their attacking options they have no excuses not to be there or thereabouts this season, it’s a bit disappointing though at this stage to be looking thin on the ground and players playing out of position. It would be quite nice if James heneghan started being a journalist and asked KC a few a questions about the nature of the injuries and where we are on bringing more quality in.

I agree as well, the gulf in standard between an established Championship side and League 2 is simply massive. Having said that though, I still don't think Wednesday are good enough to even break into the top 10 this season.

Curle still needs to bring in a replacement for Pierre and a right back at minimum. I think we'll see that as well as another attacking midfielder, possibly a left sided one.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2019, 21:14:23 pm »

Are you at the game?
Yep . You ?
I know the players are getting to know each other and it’s only the 4th game against a Sheffield Wednesday side that didn’t break sweat but ....
There was virtually nothing in that game that was a positive .
No shots , all over the place defensively , didn’t know what on Earth was going on defending corners , players out of position and no threat.
Lines was ok , Roberts had one decent run and Bunney showed he can pass the ball at least . That was it
Things can only get better
Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2019, 21:20:55 pm »

Funny how when we play a side 2 divisions below us we all expect to win the game comfortably by 3 or 4 goals to nil. Yet when we come up against a side 2 divisions above we aren't happy when they do the same to us.
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2019, 21:26:30 pm »

I agree as well, the gulf in standard between an established Championship side and League 2 is simply massive. Having said that though, I still don't think Wednesday are good enough to even break into the top 10 this season.

Curle still needs to bring in a replacement for Pierre and a right back at minimum. I think we'll see that as well as another attacking midfielder, possibly a left sided one.

I don’t suppose anyone knows if their left winger - Kadeem Harris - is a first team regular or might he be available on loan, sounds just what we need - pace and left sided?!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2019, 21:30:12 pm »

Funny how when we play a side 2 divisions below us we all expect to win the game comfortably by 3 or 4 goals to nil. Yet when we come up against a side 2 divisions above we aren't happy when they do the same to us.
They strolled that and we looked like we had no clue . It’s not just the result .
It’s early days though . Let’s hope the team selection and performance was a blip.
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2019, 21:31:00 pm »

Very good point Sir.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2019, 21:35:45 pm »

If Wednesday do this to us on Tuesday what will United do to us on Saturday?
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2019, 21:45:28 pm »

I was at the game and had no idea Robbie Simpson was on the bench, he certainly didn't come on. As for the match we were completely outclassed by a much better team from 2 divisions above us, and frankly I cannot even begin to imagine what Curle will glean from that. Their left winger second half ripped us apart, and in Barry Bannon they had a wise old head who just passed the ball around well, the sort of player we need. That Forestieri never changes though, dived all over the place and I thought McWilliams for the most part played him well.

There will need to be a big improvement Saturday if the same thing isn't going to happen again. Curle also needs to come clean on the injuries - if MCormack and Goode are injured then we must have signed them that way as neither of them have done sod all to get injured.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3293

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2019, 21:49:45 pm »

Pretty sure you can pick up injuries 24/7.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2019, 21:53:47 pm »

Why was a triallist on the bench only to not even feature in the game? What was gained by that?

Missing tonight were Goode, Hall-Johnson, McCormack, Hoskins, Morais and Waters along with Whaler, Camron McWilliams and Lashley.

Damn...I've just noticed Hoskins wasn't involved...its no wonder we lost!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2019, 22:16:25 pm »

If we play that centre back combination on Saturday and defend zonally standing still again , we could lose 10.0 .
Get a proper centre half in there that can stand his ground and play Adams at RWB and Bunney LWB.
Kick Smith up the *rse and play MacWilliams alongside Lines in centre mid if McCormack isn’t fit .
Sack off Yebli and bring in Williams .
Then we might stand a chance
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2019, 22:42:08 pm »

KC confirmed after the game that Morias is available for transfer. Slightly disappointed as think he could do a job in this league if kept fit. He offers something different to what we have.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2019, 23:00:05 pm »

They strolled that and we looked like we had no clue . It’s not just the result .
It’s early days though . Let’s hope the team selection and performance was a blip.

I see you are sharpening your hatchett already. Sheffield Wed played like they had been playing together for over a month. We made the mistake of treating it like a training game which of course suited them. The service to Smith and Oliver was very poor and we ended up hoofing it upto them which of course did not work either. I thought the midfield was poor, no bite and no workaholic like their number 10. Things got a little worse when most of the youngsters came on 2nd halfwho were out thought and certainly out tackled. Only Lines played with any sort of conviction in our midfield; he is not a ball winner. We lacked that ability to win the ball on any consistent basis.. Thought the goalkeeper should have done better with Forresteiri(?) goal and also with the penalty. His clearances were just a boot upfield to nobody in particular. Watson was anonymous, Bunny never really showed as an attacking left back. We definitely lacked a Pierre type replacement. The two young players at right back and centreback played ok handling their opposite numbers pretty well. The main problem was that we were so easily outplayed in midfield; we lacked any sort of pace on the right. I can remember the encouraging performance aginst Leicester in season 2015/16 a few years ago who then went onto win the league whilst we won the L2 title. I would say that Curle learned a lot about his teams performance tonight and unless he brings in better (and fit) players in PDQ we may struggle.., again.
Not a very encouraging evening.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 23:10:31 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Lukey

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2019, 23:16:28 pm »

I still don't think Wednesday are good enough to even break into the top 10 this season.

With the talent in that squad? if Steve Bruce had taken over earlier they would have breezed into the top 10, they lost 3 games from 18,

They should be in the play offs come the end of the year at the minimum.
Report Spam   Logged

Prejudice cannot be hidden,
Arrogance for the color of skin.
Its ugly head is here again
Racism is lurking within.

"Cynthia BuhainBaello"
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2019, 23:36:37 pm »

I don’t suppose anyone knows if their left winger - Kadeem Harris - is a first team regular or might he be available on loan, sounds just what we need - pace and left sided?!

Signed for them last week on a free after being released by Cardiff City

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/kadeem-harris-signs-for-wednesday/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: