The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 02:07:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Walsall 3rd August

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walsall 3rd August  (Read 12623 times)
Clarity

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2019, 18:39:16 pm »

Chris Lines, Reece Right Back, not good enough.

Sam Hoskins **** awful.
Our right back was properly useless! He must have been bought as cover not first choice
Report Spam   Logged
guest3293

« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2019, 18:45:27 pm »

Our right back was properly useless! He must have been bought as cover not first choice

We was atrocious.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2019, 18:46:58 pm »

Chris Lines, Reece Right Back, not good enough.

Sam Hoskins **** awful.

Be surprised if anyone manages to disagree with this. Our three worst performers definitely.

Lines was a big disappointment today for me and never got into the game. I’m still very confident that he will be a big player for us this season, but a debut to forget. I guess he was against his former manager who probably knew exactly how to nullify him.

I think the lack of pace is a huge concern and additions are still needed before the end of this month. Apart from Adams, we had zero creativity.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest2995

« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2019, 18:53:54 pm »

Zonal marking will kill us .
We looked awful in pre season defending corners and it cost us the game today .
Furthermore , if Hoskins is in our best eleven we have issues .
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2019, 19:00:01 pm »

Zonal marking will kill us .
We looked awful in pre season defending corners and it cost us the game today .
Furthermore , if Hoskins is in our best eleven we have issues .

I tend to agree on both but I can’t see Curle changing the zonal marking - I think Hoskins will be in and out.
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2019, 19:03:11 pm »

Same old, same old, here we go again.

Sums it up perfectly !

It was crying out for somebody like Morias to come on, but we all know where he was.

Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2019, 19:14:36 pm »

Of course opinions will differ but my take was absolute lack of quality- totally reliant on one player to provide that which he did occasionally but combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping stopped any result.

Along with KC totally ridiculous persistance to stick with zonal marking Cornell has to take a significant responsibility for the goal - ffs either stay on your line (and it would have been an easy save) or command your box - he did niether!

Very very early days but very disappointing.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2019, 19:30:19 pm »

The "highlight" is up. Pretty pathic Sky only offer 13 seconds for the whole match.

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11776963/northampton-0-1-walsall
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2019, 19:50:40 pm »

Some valid points made, but the bottom line is that if we had taken our chances this would all be reading differently as a general rule. There are definitely some deficiencies and some didn’t perform but we created enough to destroy Walsall at a canter. Chance after chance was ballooned over the bar. FFS just hit the target somebody at some point in our future?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2019, 21:56:43 pm »

Sums it up perfectly !

It was crying out for somebody like Morias to come on, but we all know where he was.

Should have won; Walsall were dead in last 20 mins. Saved by their goalkeeper who made 3 or 4 good saves. Midfield to slow and Hoskins offers same old same old. No pace up front and we lack again a finisher! Overall not a dicouraging display but easy to see the misfits and Morais has to be an option. Sammo said we had enough chances in the last 20 mins to win and with Walsall out on their feet. Decent crowd today.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 21:58:17 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2019, 22:03:09 pm »

Didn't see today's game, and it's too early for alarm bells but I seem to remember we lost 1-0 at home to Lincoln on the first day of last season having created a lot of chances. From what I've read that sounds a lot like today and we all know what happened at the start of last season. I'm hoping it won't happen this year, but I'm concerned that we have started another season struggling to find the back of the net.
Report Spam   Logged
Morleyhill

View Profile
Level 4 100 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2019, 22:50:23 pm »

Reece Hall-Johnson was very poor.
Having Hoskins and Cornell as first choices is not ideal after a summer of rebuilding.
Certainly don’t think it’s all doom and gloom though Nicky Adams sent over sufficient quality crosses to get something from the game and better finishing or a poorer stopper than the Walsall keeper would have put a totally different spin on things.
As it stands I still think we are mid table bound a little higher than last year but short of a play off place barring any unexpected major coup before the window closes.
Report Spam   Logged
AbingtonCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2019, 08:14:10 am »

Why does Sam Hoskins always get picked.

I watched him in the Sheffield United game and I have never seen a player so uninterested.

He would miss an open goal from 5 yards.

Keith Curle is a clown.  He is that knowledgeable that he thought Chris Wilders league winning team was poor.

Hope this is not another seasons of underachieving.  He has no excuse after signing a whole new squad.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2019, 09:30:06 am »

Didn't see today's game, and it's too early for alarm bells but I seem to remember we lost 1-0 at home to Lincoln on the first day of last season having created a lot of chances. From what I've read that sounds a lot like today and we all know what happened at the start of last season. I'm hoping it won't happen this year, but I'm concerned that we have started another season struggling to find the back of the net.

If this side had turned out against that Lincoln side, they would have tore us a new ****. Still early days, but very, very uninspiring. We could have played until midnight and still failed to score. Hoskins is taking all the flack (as is usual), but there were far worse players than him on that pitch. As for the lad at r/back: he looked like he'd have struggled at UCL level. Really poor.

ETA: And all of this against a bang average looking Walsall side.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2019, 09:47:05 am »

I think we were unlucky not to get anything out of the match, but it was a poor goal to concede, you HAVE to be able to defend set pieces in League 2.
The thing that worried me most was how one dimensional we were, get it up in the air to Smith and if that doesn't work, get it up in the air to Smith. I'm certainly not blaming Smith, he won a very good percentage of headers but we needed someone playing off him, someone quick and who knows where the goal is. If Port Vale had a scout there, all he needs to report is "Double mark Nicky Adams, then they have no creativity"
    I think its now time to play Shaun McWilliams in midfield for the next 20 matches, 2 years ago he looked a great prospect but last year he played a game in midfield, next game he was right back and then he was left out for 6 games. Give him a constant run in his best position and see if he can push on from his form 2 years ago.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2019, 12:03:49 pm »

Mediocre.
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2019, 12:17:47 pm »

A club going NOWHERE off the field has almost no chance of going anywhere on the pitch.

A club (and it's fans) going through the motions.

It surprises me so many of you think it will be any different.

Back of the net post made me laugh, he is so anti the trust / fans being more involved, scoffed at my suggestion of a medium term plan (for the team to develop players) if it meant finishing 18th for a season or two, then 'happily' predicts a low / mid table finish prediction. !

Well we are already lower table, with no goals, no points, no entertainment value and no plans. Welcome to another season of KT / DB & Northampton Town Football Club.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2019, 12:39:49 pm »

A club going NOWHERE off the field has almost no chance of going anywhere on the pitch.
Back of the net post made me laugh, he is so anti the trust / fans being more involved, scoffed at my suggestion of a medium term plan (for the team to develop players) if it meant finishing 18th for a season or two, then 'happily' predicts a low / mid table finish prediction. !
Well we are already lower table, with no goals, no points, no entertainment value and no plans. Welcome to another season of KT / DB & Northampton Town Football Club.
So what did you think to the game itself?
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2019, 14:34:51 pm »

There are two different things going on there though, aren't there? You were advocating not spending money to develop youth players, as a result of which you (quite rightly) said we'd finish lower down the table.

The manager has been supported by KT/DB in getting the players he wanted this summer, or at least says he has. My prediction is based upon the way the manager has invested those funds.

Owner's provision of funds. Manager's use of those funds. Two different things. The ownership model is actually irrelevant in this debate, beyond the fact the manager would be likely to have less cash to play with in a fan-owned model.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2019, 16:03:41 pm »

Get a grip.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: