The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:20:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Swansea City (a)- League Cup First Round- 13/8/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swansea City (a)- League Cup First Round- 13/8/19  (Read 10412 times)
runningcobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2019, 14:00:50 pm »

I saw the highlights on I follow and Sean McWilliams really lays into Roberts whilst still on his knees

I also noticed this straight away, which I found strange because if I remember right, when McWilliams was first coming onto the scene, I remember him coming on as a sub, giving the ball away with his first touch and the other team scoring. Think it was Fleetwood at home.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2019, 14:14:38 pm »

On the Curle issue (berating players who have made mistakes) we need to remember that he was brought in by KT to get tough on the players.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2019, 14:25:12 pm »

Your argument appears so one sided. From the videos Roberts skied the ball; Cornell came out to challenge for the ball as he clearly saw the danger Roll Eyes Hindsight is your main stay argument. I will not comment on the validity of Cornell’s actions but prefer to heed of those there!

did those there see something different to what is being shown on TV then?!

this really is a conspiracy.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2019, 14:27:07 pm »

On the Curle issue (berating players who have made mistakes) we need to remember that he was brought in by KT to get tough on the players.

which i think are those he kicked out the door!?

a youngster trying to make his way in the game possibly doesnt need the same treatment?!

although in curle we trust.

no promotions to date......................
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 14:35:11 pm »

which i think are those he kicked out the door!?

a youngster trying to make his way in the game possibly doesnt need the same treatment?!

although in curle we trust.

no promotions to date......................

I’m not a big fan of berating any player (especially a youngster) for making a mistake but it’s not tiddlywinks and the argument kind of stumbles when another youngster and presumably his mate (Sean McWilliams) is one of the first to dig him out. It’s probably one of those where if you were a colleague who had defended well and put your body on the line for the previous 79 minutes it would be very frustrating to concede such a soft goal. In any case I wouldn’t be heaping all the blame on Roberts as Cornell went a bit kamikaze if you ask me.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2019, 14:58:46 pm »

I’m not a big fan of berating any player (especially a youngster) for making a mistake but it’s not tiddlywinks and the argument kind of stumbles when another youngster and presumably his mate (Sean McWilliams) is one of the first to dig him out. It’s probably one of those where if you were a colleague who had defended well and put your body on the line for the previous 79 minutes it would be very frustrating to concede such a soft goal. In any case I wouldn’t be heaping all the blame on Roberts as Cornell went a bit kamikaze if you ask me.

Correct - it was a miss kick by the youngster - unfortunate but shouldn’t be wearing a badge of shame for it other than an initial (understandable) reaction from a couple of players on our side.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2019, 15:01:55 pm »

Absolute nonsense. I'm not even sure you believe that yourself, it's a ridiculous statement.

I keep seeing on here posters excusing Cornell with the 'just a League 2 keeper' argument, but never putting forward such a defense of any of our outfield players.

Cornell is badly at fault for the first two goals. The defence restricted Swansea to no more than a couple of 'meaningful' attempts on target prior to the first goal, which regardless of the initial bad clearance, wouldn't have been scored if Cornell had simply done his job in goal. Simply put, the first goal was scored when there was not even a 'meaningful' chance for Swansea.

The second is simply poor 'keeping. This would be considered poor 'keeping in the National League.

The stats show that Cornell was in the bottom few performing goalkeepers in League 2 last season and the two mistakes last night are simply more additions to his long list of glaring errors, and are indicative of why his stats are so poor.
The usual standard of verbose ramblings from Clarence who I think once read a book on football coaching.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2019, 15:43:19 pm »

If only you could were KC’s  keeper coach.....if only Roll Eyes Hindsight rules!

A well-thought out, reasoned response.

I'll take this as a sign that you know my post is spot on.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2019, 15:45:43 pm »

The usual standard of verbose ramblings from Clarence who I think once read a book on football coaching.

The usual pithy insult from board-police and self-appointed 'Hotel End football expert' B&S when he is challenged on one of his statements opinions.

I'll take your response as an indication you know I'm spot on with my post as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 15:51:23 pm by ClarenceInDefence » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2019, 15:46:32 pm »

Correct - it was a miss kick by the youngster - unfortunate but shouldn’t be wearing a badge of shame for it other than an initial (understandable) reaction from a couple of players on our side.

Didn't Curle say that last season there was a bad luck attitude at the club? In other words a player makes a mistake and the other players say "bad luck old boy". The player then makes another mistake and on and on we go.

If someone makes a mistake they need to know about it so hopefully it doesn't happen again, all good teams have that must do better attitude.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2019, 15:50:17 pm »

Didn't Curle say that last season there was a bad luck attitude at the club?In other words a player makes a mistake and the other players say "bad luck old boy". The player then makes another mistake and on and on we go.

If someone makes a mistake they need to know about it so hopefully it doesn't happen again, all good teams have that must do better attitude.

Exactly - Cornell, a keeper with almost the worst shots saves percentage in the division, won player of the season because of that attitude!
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2019, 15:52:33 pm »

The stats show that Cornell was in the bottom few performing goalkeepers in League 2 last season and the two mistakes last night are simply more additions to his long list of glaring errors, and are indicative of why his stats are so poor.

Where are stats available on League 2 keepers? Would be genuinely interested to see them. Agree that Cornell was partially at fault for first goal and should have done better with second goal last night, having seen highlights, but I also think that people are very quick to jump on the mistakes he makes, which are, in my opinion no more frequent than many of our more highly rated goalkeepers of the past. Didn't have a great game last night overall, but I think you would have to go back quite a few games to find anything similar from him.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2019, 16:03:46 pm »

A well-thought out, reasoned response.

I'll take this as a sign that you know my post is spot on.

Dream on - you speak for all man kind!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2019, 16:07:30 pm »

I also noticed this straight away, which I found strange because if I remember right, when McWilliams was first coming onto the scene, I remember him coming on as a sub, giving the ball away with his first touch and the other team scoring. Think it was Fleetwood at home.

What actually did SMc say to him ; like a few others they all heard word for word Roll Eyes  ....?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3063

« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2019, 16:22:07 pm »

Official attendance at last nights game was 8058 although it doesn't state how many Cobblers fans were at the game, this is from the Swansea City website. However, on the NTFC website it says the attendance was not confirmed  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
canvey cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2019, 17:15:12 pm »

I'd take a quess at about 300 cobblers!!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2019, 17:17:01 pm »

Exactly - Cornell, a keeper with almost the worst shots saves percentage in the division, won player of the season because of that attitude!
“ the worst shot / saves percentage in the division “ ?
Who says so ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2019, 17:37:41 pm »

Where are stats available on League 2 keepers? Would be genuinely interested to see them. Agree that Cornell was partially at fault for first goal and should have done better with second goal last night, having seen highlights, but I also think that people are very quick to jump on the mistakes he makes, which are, in my opinion no more frequent than many of our more highly rated goalkeepers of the past. Didn't have a great game last night overall, but I think you would have to go back quite a few games to find anything similar from him.
According to footstats (sorry, I cant do the link) there was 494 attempts at our goal last season. 180 of those were deemed on target with 63 resulting in goals.
Clarence has latched on to the ratio of on target shots to goals I think to come to his conclusion that Cornell is crap. I prefer to judge with my eyes.
B/s.  We conceded 3.91 shots on target per game av and 1.37 goals per match last season. Whether or not that amounts to the worst ratio in the division im not sure, there is no column for that, but I'm guessing Clarence might have extrapolated that ( unless the figures are evident elsewhere) in his desire to crucify Cornell.
Question for anyone. Does a blocked (by outfield player) on target shot count as an on target shot for statistical purposes?
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2019, 17:55:23 pm »

“ the worst shot / saves percentage in the division “ ?
Who says so ?

To reiterate, I said 'almost' the worst.

Link:

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots_perc
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2019, 17:55:45 pm »

According to footstats (sorry, I cant do the link) there was 494 attempts at our goal last season. 180 of those were deemed on target with 63 resulting in goals.
Clarence has latched on to the ratio of on target shots to goals I think to come to his conclusion that Cornell is crap. I prefer to judge with my eyes.
B/s.  We conceded 3.91 shots on target per game av and 1.37 goals per match last season. Whether or not that amounts to the worst ratio in the division im not sure, there is no column for that, but I'm guessing Clarence might have extrapolated that ( unless the figures are evident elsewhere) in his desire to crucify Cornell.
Question for anyone. Does a blocked (by outfield player) on target shot count as an on target shot for statistical purposes?
Thank you .
As usual , dubious statistics manipulated to suit an argument that was weak in the first place .
Under the same terms of judgement , their keeper should have saved our goal because it was close to his body and Arnold should have claimed the corner that resulted in the goal last Saturday since it was in his 6 yard area .
Where’s Sylvester Stallone when you need him ?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: