The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:13:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Swansea City (a)- League Cup First Round- 13/8/19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swansea City (a)- League Cup First Round- 13/8/19  (Read 10404 times)
sixfields starling

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2019, 18:05:35 pm »

Enjoyed the game last night, decent enough performance, although didn’t really get many balls into the box apart from the goal. Warburton , McWilliams and Wharton all had excellent games. Possibly a little harsh on Cornell , as up until the goal had pulled of some fine saves, think he just thought he could make it and was caught out. Shame as we matched a decent championship club for most of the game. I’m not too disappointed yet , may be after Saturday if we lose though, as think we are getting there slowly.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2019, 18:10:59 pm »

According to footstats (sorry, I cant do the link) there was 494 attempts at our goal last season. 180 of those were deemed on target with 63 resulting in goals.
Clarence has latched on to the ratio of on target shots to goals I think to come to his conclusion that Cornell is crap. I prefer to judge with my eyes.
B/s.  We conceded 3.91 shots on target per game av and 1.37 goals per match last season. Whether or not that amounts to the worst ratio in the division im not sure, there is no column for that, but I'm guessing Clarence might have extrapolated that ( unless the figures are evident elsewhere) in his desire to crucify Cornell.
Question for anyone. Does a blocked (by outfield player) on target shot count as an on target shot for statistical purposes?

I base my opinions on what I see as well. Seeing these stats at the end of the season only reinforces my opinion, they do not form it.

We had the joint 8th best record for shots on target against last season, but had the 17th worst goals conceded record.

Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2019, 18:13:39 pm »

No-ones really commented on the third goal.

Proof that league two players aren't mentally switched on enough for zonal marking can be seen if you focus on the reactions of our eight outfield players in and around the six yard box, versus the movement of the Swansea players.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2019, 18:25:18 pm »

Thank you .
As usual , dubious statistics manipulated to suit an argument that was weak in the first place .
Under the same terms of judgement , their keeper should have saved our goal because it was close to his body and Arnold should have claimed the corner that resulted in the goal last Saturday since it was in his 6 yard area .
Where’s Sylvester Stallone when you need him ?

Dubious statistics? Manipulated? How so? Hmmmm, you're not spouting nonsense again are you?

What does the goal on Saturday have to do with it? The two goals are not comparable. Nice try though (pats B&S on the head).  Grin

Ask yourself: Does Ayew put the ball in the net in that situation if Cornell stays on his line?

Your trying to ignore the points in my original post by making snide jokes just confirms again that you know my points are bang on.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2019, 18:36:12 pm »

Cornell is sh1t
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2019, 18:58:29 pm »

Dubious statistics? Manipulated? How so? Hmmmm, you're not spouting nonsense again are you?

What does the goal on Saturday have to do with it? The two goals are not comparable. Nice try though (pats B&S on the head).  Grin

Ask yourself: Does Ayew put the ball in the net in that situation if Cornell stays on his line?

Your trying to ignore the points in my original post by making snide jokes just confirms again that you know my points are bang on.

You attract attention by your incessant effors to damage Cornell's reputation. He is a an NTFC player so deserves some element of support even loyalty. Your main support on here comes from some expert Keyboard Warriors several of whom use profame and abusive language to illustrate their message. You need to attract more reasonable and credible support which at the moment you are not doing.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2019, 19:01:47 pm »

Enjoyed the game last night, decent enough performance, although didn’t really get many balls into the box apart from the goal. Warburton , McWilliams and Wharton all had excellent games. Possibly a little harsh on Cornell , as up until the goal had pulled of some fine saves, think he just thought he could make it and was caught out. Shame as we matched a decent championship club for most of the game. I’m not too disappointed yet , may be after Saturday if we lose though, as think we are getting there slowly.

All I can say is well done for going puts us sofa sitters to shame.
Report Spam   Logged

guest2677

« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2019, 19:05:48 pm »

I base my opinions on what I see as well. Seeing these stats at the end of the season only reinforces my opinion, they do not form it.

We had the joint 8th best record for shots on target against last season, but had the 17th worst goals conceded record.

Ok, so you might also recognize the paradox? That is, that there's plenty of evidence (the first 75mins last night for example) that Cornell is quite a good shot stopper.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2019, 19:20:09 pm »

Ok, so you might also recognize the paradox? That is, that there's plenty of evidence (the first 75mins last night for example) that Cornell is quite a good shot stopper.

Exactly, for all the good he does in games it is constantly un-done by an error which costs us a goal, or two as it was last night. He's too much of a liability and if the pro-Cornell people out there can't see that then I despair.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2019, 19:22:57 pm »

No obsession as you put it.  You miss the point as posting controversial comments when actually not present leaves your judgement ‘slightly’ suspect. By all means express yr opinions whether there or not. Just be prepared to face contrary opinions. It’s hard I know!
Its sometimes, so hard not to laugh!
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2019, 19:39:14 pm »

Clarence is so far up the proverbial that any reasoned opinion is ignored.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2019, 19:43:52 pm »

Exactly - Cornell, a keeper with almost the worst shots saves percentage in the division, won player of the season because of that attitude!

Your losing it - you have departed from any reality on Cornell. Apart from the fact that we are down to only One keeper contender for the team sheet. Would not risk Lashly with critics like you around.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2019, 19:47:40 pm »

Exactly, for all the good he does in games it is constantly un-done by an error which costs us a goal, or two as it was last night. He's too much of a liability and if the pro-Cornell people out there can't see that then I despair.

It's not every game Einstein - if you think all the pro Cornell people out there agree with you then think again. 
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2019, 19:51:41 pm »

did those there see something different to what is being shown on TV then?!

this really is a conspiracy.

Try looking at the Swansea Official Site Video which gives interesting perspective on the equalizer. Not completely sure if their Blonde Headed
striker took Cornell out ; certainly looked a bit like that! Have a look.
Report Spam   Logged

just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2019, 19:53:31 pm »

It's not every game Einstein - if you think all the pro Cornell people out there agree with you then think again. 

Why put words in my mouth? Never said it was every game. His errors have resulted in far more goals than any other Cobbler goalkeeper that I can rememeber. It's like talking to a brick wall you you and B&S; in your eyes he can do no wrong! His rash decision making and usual poor attempts at saving long distance shots once again un-did his good work yesterday. We will never progress as a club with a liability in goal. Just hope Arnold's injury isn't serious.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2019, 20:00:15 pm »

Clarence is so far up the proverbial that any reasoned opinion is ignored.
He also manipulates selective statistics to suit his argument and presents them as a hardened case , whilst constantly basing his judgements on what seems to be a very limited knowledge of football.
I’m retiring from this thread because it has become personal and boring for others
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2019, 20:56:19 pm »

You are not kidding its boring and I think I have read only about a quarter of the posts.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2019, 21:44:42 pm »

Why put words in my mouth? Never said it was every game. His errors have resulted in far more goals than any other Cobbler goalkeeper that I can rememeber. It's like talking to a brick wall you you and B&S; in your eyes he can do no wrong! His rash decision making and usual poor attempts at saving long distance shots once again un-did his good work yesterday. We will never progress as a club with a liability in goal. Just hope Arnold's injury isn't serious.

You infered it was every game! Some of your comments are mere assumptions.  Cornell is not a top L2 keeper; I rate him and Arnold on same level playing field, if anything I prefer Arnold as the no 1. He did not make a rash decision which led to the first damaging goal; yes he made a decision to limit the damage done by Roberts, it did not pay off. You have 'made yr mind up' on Cornell which is fair enough but your last two penultimate sentences are sheer vindictive comments to shore up your opinion. Take a look at Swansea Official Match Video  it shows the goals from a different perspective; did the blond Striker take out Cornell?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 21:46:24 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2019, 08:10:36 am »

He also manipulates selective statistics to suit his argument and presents them as a hardened case , whilst constantly basing his judgements on what seems to be a very limited knowledge of football.
I’m retiring from this thread because it has become personal and boring for others

"i'm wrong" would have covered it - rather than the melodramatic post.
Report Spam   Logged
andy scouse

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2019, 08:35:09 am »

Interesting to see the vultures are gathering ready to swoop on Curle.Reminds me  of Wilder's last season at Sixfields when similar managerial rumblings occurred after losing a home game to Plymouth and then losing at Newcastle in the League Cup and seeing Ricky Holmes hobbling up the West Stand as a spectator and then after that the rest is history including the turn around  crunch home game against Oxford when Taylor got sent off and we won one nil .

Positives from the media about the Swansea game appear to the performances of Warburton, Turnbull, and Watson, negatives appear to be set piece failings again and question marks over Cornell. My take on Cornell is that like Peter Gleasure of old he is a good shot stopper but he has weakness on long distance shots and coming for crosses. In my book Cornell is a run of the mill Div 2 stopper nothing more nothing less.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: