The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:52:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Swindon Town (a)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon Town (a)  (Read 6443 times)
Irchy cob

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2019, 14:45:19 pm »

I don’t think this would work because you have two left footed centre halves together . The opposition centre forward would just push them onto their right foot and cut out the supply to the right wing .
On a separate note , it looks like we will be a more effective team away from home again this season than at home because we have such limited attacking threat. This is going to put enormous pressure on Curle and the players at Sixfields . We have to play with more freedom to get the home fans behind the team .

Unless we bring any more attacking additions in before the deadline (I still hope against hope that KC might have some irons in the fire).
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2019, 14:49:27 pm »

Not unless anyone leaves
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2019, 14:51:25 pm »

According to the BBC they only had two attempts on target all game Evers....
So Clarence , was our goal a goalkeeping error last night ?
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2019, 14:53:08 pm »

I don’t think this would work because you have two left footed centre halves together . The opposition centre forward would just push them onto their right foot and cut out the supply to the right wing .On a separate note , it looks like we will be a more effective team away from home again this season than at home because we have such limited attacking threat. This is going to put enormous pressure on Curle and the players at Sixfields . We have to play with more freedom to get the home fans behind the team .

I don't think is much of an issue in practice. I think it's unrealistic to think that a centre forward is going to be marking a centre half so tightly that he can only ever use his weaker foot.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2019, 14:54:16 pm »

Unless we bring any more attacking additions in before the deadline (I still hope against hope that KC might have some irons in the fire).
In some ways I hope he has options but then in others , it would be good to keep Morias , Bunney and even Waters . Without stating the blindingly obvious , it depends on who was coming in .
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2019, 15:11:19 pm »

I liked the determination last night - first half pretty equal and until the last 10 mins I think we edged it.
Second half on possession, play and chances was them clearly on top and frankly I was waiting for the goal to be conceded.

Williams the hero and I like the look of Oliver again - sorry to say but still not impressed with Bunny, whilst I like McWilliams and think he has a bright future he needs some guidance on the mistakes he is making. Hoskins in my opinion is becoming even less effective this season and continues with no end result but not even scaring defenders.

Overall a stolen 2 points and with the same determination we will pick up points but for me a long way off a top 3 spot.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2019, 15:24:54 pm »

With this result, Curle has added confirmation to what he demonstrated last season: he has enough gamemanship and nous to set up a team to grind out results at this level, especially when playing away from home.

Under the circumstances, against a decent side and with confidence low following a rough start, it was absolutely the correct approach (although the goal was obviously extremely fortuitous).

However, the jury is till massively out on whether he can guide us to anything more than a mid-table finish.

We are clearly someway off being a coherent, fluent side with the capacity to get in behind or hurt teams in open play. Despite their lack of cutting edge, Swindon looked a cut above in these respects. The 'square-peg-in-round-hole' factor within the 4-5-1 was enormous with Hoskins and Watson appearing to play as out-and-out wingers, Adams appearing to operate in a deeper central midfield role and Turnbull playing, admittedly excellently, as a defensive midfielder.

The one player we desperately need is a left-sided attacking midfielder/winger. Signing one would allow us to play 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and to avoid such a predictable reliance on Adams' crossing.

Williams and Lines should keep their places - they brought much needed experience and nous. I would keep McWilliams at right back and give him a run of games there. He's good as long as he doesn't try to overcomplicate things.

The main problem with Hoskins is his decision making. If he can somehow be coached to think a bit more and show more composure before deciding whether to pass, cross or shoot then we might still have a player on our hands. Until then though, he needs some genuine competition in the form of the aforementioned left-sided midfielder.

Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2019, 15:34:21 pm »

Of course there isn’t, maybe my comment is ambiguous but that does not excuse you for manipulating the comment to suit your argument. Williams anticipation made the goal and Deepcut’s analysis is welcome.

How have I 'manipulated' your comment? It was actually meant to be a little tongue in cheek riposte, but the way you worded your comment did make it seem like that was the point you were trying to make.

Acknowledging that Williams was offside doesn't detract from his excellent play in taking the chance, surely you can understand that?
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2019, 15:52:51 pm »

Not unless anyone leaves

It’s always amazing how the closer the window gets the more chance there is of finding a few £ down the back of the sofa! I agree with others in that we are desperate for an attacking left side player - Hallam Hope would have been perfect (out of our price range) or the guy from Hamilton that we were after. Failing that someone decent on loan - Ricky Holmes anyone?!
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2019, 15:53:26 pm »

Your opinion on where Goode should play is spot on; certainly after his display in the central role last night. KC appeared to play 4 at the back last night with Turnbull operating as defensive midfield; to say it worked is an understatement. McWilliams played ok with some decent exhibition of skills displayed but a little inconsistent. Bunney was a given a hard time by their right winger but even so stuck to it with a determined display. Is he the right man for the job? - Jury is out for me.
Midfield 4 were good and in spite of recent criticism were creative as that is were the goal came from. You need a well placed VAR to decide if it was off side or not. Try freezing the Video panes to reach an objective view. The real problems lie with the forwards  as Williams who performed heroically last night often goes AWOL in games; after all he just scored 10/12 goals last season and any more maybe beyond his scope. When Wharton was replaced last night was aghast it was Walters who came on - after a few moments I could the appreciate KC's reasoning. Walters has pace and keeps running a la Williams and Walters contributions in the last 20 minutes should not be underestimated.
Hope these POV help Grin

Roll Eyes As I mentioned in a post on another thread, where you had written off Williams as just a '10 goal a season merchant', he scored 13 in the league last season in 2400 minutes of play, that's 1 goal in just over every 180 minutes of game time. So far this season he has scored 1 in 147 minutes of game time. Considering during his time here he often hasn't received the best of service into him, I'd say his record is pretty good.
Report Spam   Logged
the_nosk

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2019, 15:54:24 pm »

The C&E says the linesman didnt think watson had touched the ball - which if true, is beyond inadequate!

You would also have seen that teh C&E says - Who cares - it was a goal, would your rather it was chalked off to back up your statement that 'we played terrible'. Incidentally, how you can you reach that conclusion from listening to BBC Northampton from 90 miles away?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2019, 16:10:56 pm »

Same as our other goal this season... started by a long hoof from Cornell

Most of the 345 there appreciated the long down field clearances from Cornell; particularly when they lead to goals. Great touch by Watson - fooled everybody there!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2019, 16:34:07 pm »

How have I 'manipulated' your comment? It was actually meant to be a little tongue in cheek riposte, but the way you worded your comment did make it seem like that was the point you were trying to make.

Acknowledging that Williams was offside doesn't detract from his excellent play in taking the chance, surely you can understand that?

Never try tongue in cheek riposte on here - well put it this way I don't think it is for you. Never questioned Williams excellent goal and superb ability to anticipate the sublime pass from Watson. Please note the comments on the offside from the two people who took the trouble to analyse the 'non' off side decision. At least their analysis makes for interesting reading.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2019, 16:38:41 pm »

I don’t think this would work because you have two left footed centre halves together . The opposition centre forward would just push them onto their right foot and cut out the supply to the right wing .
On a separate note , it looks like we will be a more effective team away from home again this season than at home because we have such limited attacking threat. This is going to put enormous pressure on Curle and the players at Sixfields . We have to play with more freedom to get the home fans behind the team .

I take your point, but as i said previously, it was not so much about the personnel i put in the back four, and more about the fact i wanted fullbacks playing behind natural wide players on the correct side of the pitch. Goode could come into the middle and Mcwilliams at RB or hall-Johnson there when fit.

Curle currently seems to have no issue playing the right footed (attacking midfielder/winger/in the hole striker/none of the above) Hoskins at left wing back. So two left footed centre backs certainly doesn't seem as bad as that.
Report Spam   Logged
guest216

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2019, 17:08:23 pm »

How many teams actually have a left-footed CB? Maybe 5%? Playing two with the same dominant foot seems an non-issue really, there's no real tactical disadvantage.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2019, 17:46:24 pm »

Good to get our first three points. We competed well last night but still desperately lack creativity. However, let's hope the win gives the players the confidence to get on a run.

I liked Turnbull as a defensive midfielder (as I did last season) and agree that Goode and Wharton are a very solid central defensive pair. I think Hall-Johnson will become our right back when fit. Despite an apparently poor game against Walsall (didn't see it) he played well against Port Vale. I don't like McWilliams at right-back. Although he has good moments he makes a lot of mistakes and will cost us a goal sooner rather than later in that position.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2019, 18:06:58 pm »

Not been picked up on here, or indeed by the commentators on anywhere I've seen on twitter...

10 minutes in, Hoskin's spun his man, got cynically fouled and the defender was rightly booked. IF he hadn't of been brought down, all he had to do was roll the ball about 10 yards sideways to a completely unmarked (Williams I think) who was around 18 yards from goal, and not a defender within 5 yards of him. Even Hoskins may have just about managed that, although we cant rule out a smashed cross 50 foot in the air!  Grin

What I saying is, what comes round goes round. Our goal, for me, evened things up.

As for the performance, proper Atkins-eque. As Bungle said, it was exactly the right approach given the situation we were in before kick off.

We now have, I believe, the right amount of points to justify performances. We deserved to beat Walsall in the same way that Swindon maybe should have won last night. The other two league games, the results probably matched the performances.

The next few games could go anyway, that's football for you. Very pleased for Curle (In particular), he's been hammered a lot in recent times and by many since he came through the doors. Lets hope we can kick on at Colchester. Looking forward to it!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2019, 18:13:43 pm »

Roll Eyes As I mentioned in a post on another thread, where you had written off Williams as just a '10 goal a season merchant', he scored 13 in the league last season in 2400 minutes of play, that's 1 goal in just over every 180 minutes of game time. So far this season he has scored 1 in 147 minutes of game time. Considering during his time here he often hasn't received the best of service into him, I'd say his record is pretty good.
Blimey , you really can’t analyse football on statistics alone .
It’s not a science to that degree .
You have to look at the submersive qualities like commitment , winning mentality , team spirit and determination .
Are you an accountant by any chance ?
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2019, 18:56:31 pm »

Most of the 345 there appreciated the long down field clearances from Cornell; particularly when they lead to goals. Great touch by Watson - fooled everybody there!

Not getting this? It was a hoof by one of the defenders.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2019, 21:06:20 pm »

Not getting this? It was a hoof by one of the defenders.
I didn't appreciate it...going to the toilet at the time and thought they'd scored with the roar!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: