The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 05:14:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Col U (a) 24/08

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Col U (a) 24/08  (Read 7924 times)
guest1269

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2019, 08:03:38 am »

As it seems with a great many posters on this forum, you might want to look up the word 'context' in a dictionary.

In all seriousness I don't think Drilling was suggesting the 3 saves by Cornell automatically meant he could hold his own in a promotion side - simply he did what was required of him in one game so clearly if he reproduces that form in the majority of games he could be number one in a promotion side - so as you rightly say it's all about context  Wink

My frustration is we look a million mile away from a promotion side and as oft repeated here Cornell may not be the best keeper in the division but way down on our list of issues to resolve.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:45 am »

Just a slight change on the subject, did anyone else pay an extra £2 for a seat in the section nearer the middle only to find that Colchester didn't open that section, we were all in the end section. I think a few of us should be due a refund !!
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:23 am »

In all seriousness I don't think Drilling was suggesting the 3 saves by Cornell automatically meant he could hold his own in a promotion side - simply he did what was required of him in one game so clearly if he reproduces that form in the majority of games he could be number one in a promotion side - so as you rightly say it's all about context  Wink

My frustration is we look a million mile away from a promotion side and as oft repeated here Cornell may not be the best keeper in the division but way down on our list of issues to resolve.

Cornell is down the list of our issues to solve for the first time in 12 months, if for no other reason than we have signed a 'keeper who Cornell was dropped for in the second game. However he then got injured, else I wager Cornell would have been warming the bench the last few games and possibly indefinitely.

He's also down the list of issues because whilst over the summer Curle has brought in some good players he has ultimately managed to build a wholly unbalanced squad which lacks pace, width, creativity and therefore also goals.

We have only scored 1 goal in open play in 5 matches and that came from a hoof-ball and shouldn't have stood anyway! It was obvious from the first game that while we were set up as difficult to break down, chances and goals were going to be at a premium and so it has proved.

I struggle to see us picking up a win over the next 4 matches because of this, which will likely leave us in the bottom two with a fifth of the season gone and nothing but a relegation scrap on the cards. At least we'll have something to play for I guess!
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2019, 10:05:11 am »

Cornell is down the list of our issues to solve for the first time in 12 months, if for no other reason than we have signed a 'keeper who Cornell was dropped for in the second game. However he then got injured, else I wager Cornell would have been warming the bench the last few games and possibly indefinitely.

He's also down the list of issues because whilst over the summer Curle has brought in some good players he has ultimately managed to build a wholly unbalanced squad which lacks pace, width, creativity and therefore also goals.

We have only scored 1 goal in open play in 5 matches and that came from a hoof-ball and shouldn't have stood anyway! It was obvious from the first game that while we were set up as difficult to break down, chances and goals were going to be at a premium and so it has proved.

I struggle to see us picking up a win over the next 4 matches because of this, which will likely leave us in the bottom two with a fifth of the season gone and nothing but a relegation scrap on the cards. At least we'll have something to play for I guess!

Yep - we agree & no dictionary required  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2019, 10:06:42 am »

Cornell had what I call a normal goalkeeping game, routine saves and stood no chance with the pen.
Is he a good goalkeeper NO. Is he our worst player No, that’s how bad this squad is and combined with Curles disastrous tactics we are now looking like relegation fodder AGAIN.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2019, 10:35:17 am »

Cornell had what I call a normal goalkeeping game, routine saves and stood no chance with the pen.
Is he a good goalkeeper NO. Is he our worst player No, that’s how bad this squad is and combined with Curles disastrous tactics we are now looking like relegation fodder AGAIN.

Looks like Bolton may well be kicked out of the league too, so no teams from L2 would be relegated if they and Bury don't survive the end of the week. Safe for another year...
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2019, 10:41:01 am »

That's what I would call setting the bar very low.  NTFC has to be much better than that but the sad fact is we are not.  The question on every supporter's mind should be WHY?!!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2019, 12:44:44 pm »

Looks like Bolton may well be kicked out of the league too, so no teams from L2 would be relegated if they and Bury don't survive the end of the week. Safe for another year...
I really hope that both Bury and Bolton survive, purely for their fans.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest1269

« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2019, 13:18:40 pm »

Agreed and quite frankly if we stay up as a consequence of these two clubs going out of business I think my days of support under the current administration and management are finished - ffs we have had a credible budget and despite the dross being served we still have gates of 2-3 times clubs that are doing better than us not to mention a catchment area 5-10 times that of some clubs.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2019, 15:02:31 pm »

If it comes to it and there are no relegations from this league then we can play totally open football and to hell with it. The problem is despite pre-season optimism we don't have very good players and we have an unimaginative manager.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2019, 16:09:48 pm »

I agree in principle, but when Wilder was rumoured to be leaving, and linked with the Bolton job, whe had quite a few obnoxious Trotters on here, telling us what a massive club they where, how they had players like Jay Jay Okacha, their days in Europe, and we would never reach those heights. Clearly they were correct, but theres no need to rub your snout in it. I do feel for both sets of fans, just a little less for Bolton.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2019, 16:51:20 pm »

I agree in principle, but when Wilder was rumoured to be leaving, and linked with the Bolton job, whe had quite a few obnoxious Trotters on here, telling us what a massive club they where, how they had players like Jay Jay Okacha, their days in Europe, and we would never reach those heights. Clearly they were correct, but theres no need to rub your snout in it. I do feel for both sets of fans, just a little less for Bolton.

Strange one, with all their turmoil you’d think there was the need for the fans to get behind the club, yet on Saturday they recorded their lowest ever league attendance at the Reebok/Macron or whatever it is now. Just 5,454 turned up....and I bet a fair few of those were away fans.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2019, 17:06:19 pm »

The problem is despite pre-season optimism we don't have very good players and we have an unimaginative manager.

I think the players want to play football but the manager wants to hoof to the big man and hope for a lucky break.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2019, 17:12:58 pm »

Cannot disagree.

Last season it was not his side so could put up with the excuse we have to play a certain way as that's the quality of side we have. This season it's his squad and the attraction is even less. Did he deliberately sign players to fit this current style? If so say so because it's boring, poor quality and not worth the cost. If that is the summit if our ambitions it's time to count me ou. It's time I found some alternative entertainment in a Saturday. This week it was umpiring a Northants league division 11. Infinitely preferable.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2019, 17:49:15 pm »

IF they are BOTH kicked out I hope we play 3 or 4 younger players in EVERY match because at least they will learn and improve not like the current team!!!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2019, 19:52:02 pm »

Not correct one of his saves was good if not two. You ought to get to the occasional away game sometime.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2019, 20:30:32 pm »

I know last season form shouldn't totally come into play, but since we beat Newport at home making that four wins in a row, we've played 14 league games. We've won 3, drawn 5 and lost 6. There isn't really any excuse for this poor start because Curle identified his targets and signed the bulk of them very early in the summer. I'd be stunned if he lasts to the end of September if things don't improve sharpish.
Prepare to be stunned
Report Spam   Logged
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2019, 20:35:32 pm »

This is the problem with having a negative manager. Occasionally you will sh*t house an away win like we did on Tuesday and they get away with it.

When they don't get results, it's terrible. Lose to Plymouth and Bradford, 4 points from 7 and I'd say that is Curletains. See what I did there?

Yeah I did. It was embarrassingly pathetic.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2019, 20:59:26 pm »

Yeah I did. It was embarrassingly pathetic.

You seem in a worse mood than me!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3293

« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2019, 21:06:14 pm »

We're rubbish.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: