The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:23:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Arsenal U21s (h) EFL Trophy 27/8

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arsenal U21s (h) EFL Trophy 27/8  (Read 4428 times)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2019, 20:44:36 pm »

We're the greatest penalty takers in the world!!!
plagiarism
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
guest1269

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2019, 21:06:18 pm »

Ok so strange opposition therefore difficult to make too many conclusions but overall I felt our passing and attacking ideas were a definite improvement.
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2019, 21:16:37 pm »

Is it just me, or does the name of the Gooners lad who was red carded remind anyone else of The Wombles?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3293

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2019, 21:29:02 pm »

The post match interview with Curle is a new level of utter tripe.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2019, 22:15:48 pm »

There is more tripe written on here with Feelgood excelling. As for the game; credits to Hoskins with a great goal, decent crowd too, the new goalie looks and played in a confident manner with some good saves. Waters played well particularly 2nd half. Warburton played his part but not quite at the races. The reality is that we should have won before any penalties as we dominated a lot of the game especially 2nd half. Lines came on late so had no real input in the game; unless he was the geezer who passed to Hoskins who scored with a wonderful strike. At times the Arsenal youngsters were out fought and somewhat easily knocked off the ball. Some of their passing was woeful how many times did they pass the ball out of play?
If only they could have played with the same determination last Saturday; Waters in the second half was twisting and turning to great effect. The downside was our finishing and the creation of chances is still evident but overall the performance was decent riposte to that dreadful display at Colchester. I suppose the fact that we won gaining 2 points and against such illustrious opponents is no mean feat. However Arsenal were a disappointment and not a patch on Southampton or WBA last year. I never found the first half such utter dross as one pundit put it. I would say that those who so proudly stayed away missed a decent result. Special praise for KC who picked the right team, brought his subs on when it mattered and clearly motivated his team; they wanted to win.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 22:18:06 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2019, 22:18:40 pm »

What part? It sounded generally reasonable to me.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2019, 22:33:15 pm »

Agree, he mentioned the old microwave session & getting the ball below the bar again  Roll Eyes

Doesn't help that no probing questions are ever asked, such as are you replacing Morias & getting in a proper left winger!!!

Tbf Waters ran his little legs off tonight but he's not the answer, same goes for Bunney...
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2019, 23:52:23 pm »

There is more tripe written on here with Feelgood excelling.
thats funny coming from you Cecil  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
guest3264

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2019, 05:32:23 am »

I thought the only player to look good for Arsenal was Nathan Tormey who was exactly the left footed attacker we are screaming out for.......Loan???

Waters and Bunney, McWilliams and Hoskins (Yes he did, at last, have a good game!) linked well to give us a degree of threat! Personally I believe Bunney has to play further forward.

Did Curle tell the media we would play some youngsters?...................Pollock only! A missed opportunity to play Jay Williams and Morgan Roberts. How else can they improve and be judged.
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2019, 06:13:39 am »

An enjoyable game. Agree about Bunney, much more effective further forward, still a liability at left back, he was AWOK for their goal. Hoskins scored a good goal but prior to that had produced little. Thought Waters did really well, some nice turns, strong on the ball and put in a good shift. Smith totally ineffective again, that worries me! Agree about their flank players that’s what you call pace and we have none of that in the team
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2019, 06:38:22 am »

An enjoyable game. Agree about Bunney, much more effective further forward, still a liability at left back, he was AWOK for their goal. Hoskins scored a good goal but prior to that had produced little. Thought Waters did really well, some nice turns, strong on the ball and put in a good shift. Smith totally ineffective again, that worries me! Agree about their flank players that’s what you call pace and we have none of that in the team

Agreed, Waters MOM for me,
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2019, 06:51:28 am »

You’re right about Smith, he was poor again
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2019, 07:29:47 am »

So Bunney looked better in a more advanced position ?? Well well well what a pleasant surprise . Who would have thought ........
Warburton and Smith need to start turning up though .
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2019, 07:45:32 am »

So Bunney looked better in a more advanced position ?? Well well well what a pleasant surprise . Who would have thought ........
Warburton and Smith need to start turning up though .

warburton has to be given time - first season as a pro footballer - no different to being a youngster learning his trade.

but smith - should be more useful.
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2019, 08:01:46 am »

First half was pretty boring to be honest. Apart from a couple of Hoskins interceptions there was little purpose to the attack. It looked like KC played a 4-2-3-1 with Hoskins, Warburton and Waters behind Smith. However Smith was totally isolated and totally ineffective. Warburton sitting far too deep, he is not going to score many playing in this position. No real concerted pressure on the Arsenal goal, no high pressing game, and no real attempts at goal from what I can remember. Going purely from the shirt numbers I suspect this wasn't Arsenal's strongest U-21 by any means. Second half showed a little more purpose but still not really testing their keeper.

Superb goal from Hoskins who overall looked our best attacking threat and was instrumental in drawing the foul that saw their man get sent off. Pollock was disappointing in central midfield 2 but then this probably is not his best position. Watson was tidy on the ball but no great ball-winner. Waters showed good purpose and played better 2nd half. When Lines came on he started passing the ball about to good intent and we definitely played better as a result. Combined with a McCormack or Shaun in central midfield he still could be our best option but I doubt there's 90 minutes to be had from him.

Bunney a decent enough player who can cross a ball, could play left midfield but is a liability at left back. It seems neither he nor Martin is going to be the answer there.  Goode and Turnbull solid enough in the centre and the goalie did well. Shaun McWilliams was O.K. at RB but as many are tired of saying this is not his best position.

Smith is no Marc Richards, Williams is a goalscorer but does get caught on the ball a bit and lacks pace, so I not sure who should be the focus of our attack at the moment. Oliver has pace, is good in the air, and set up the chance for Hoskins at the death last night, so maybe deserves a chance on Saturday.

Adams and hopefully Wharton will be back for Saturday but KC is still no nearer finding his strongest eleven.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 15:06:40 pm by Joes Sweet Left Foot » Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2019, 09:13:51 am »

You’re right about Smith, he was poor again

Huge disappointment so far - still it’s a long season
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2019, 11:42:53 am »

Bit harsh on Hoskins who I thought was our main threat last night. He did some good interceptions first half . Bunney's mistake for their goal and not overall impressed by him. Thought their right winger ran around a lot and reminded me of Hoskins! Their guy who scored was good and had pace.

nb Hoskins was so poor at Colchester that would happily see him dropped - for ever.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:17:15 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Parklands Cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2019, 12:16:13 pm »

Agree entirely with Joes left foot review of the game.
Report Spam   Logged
observer1

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2019, 12:37:52 pm »

Switched off totally for their goal, completely unmarked. That's 10 home games in a row without a clean sheet now.

Of all the new signings Oliver continues to catch the eye. Another good performance from him, hope he continues to improve.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2019, 13:00:08 pm »

That was 50 years ago and still at School so I went. Remember Tebbut and Yeomans. They had a centre half called Fotheringay who we signed.

casual error there!

Responding to Evers comments regarding the Jan 4 1958 FA Cup 3rd Round defeat of Arsenal;

21,344 there. The place must have been heaving ! I assume most would have got to the ground by foot or bus. Abington must have been alive with humanity. God knows what the noise was like when the Cobblers scored.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: