The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 15:08:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Bradford City (a) 07.09.19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bradford City (a) 07.09.19  (Read 7463 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2019, 11:53:42 am »

Just had a run through the Bradford messageboard........pretty surprisingly they were less than complimentary about us.

Keith Curle is as bad as Parky for a one eyed view of proceedings. How about their entire team time wasting from the word go. How the keeper wasn’t booked? It was a concerted effort by multiple players to delay play. Which was his game plan. At least their time wasting bit themselves by the end. You got what’s you deserved. Jack.
#347Smartmart, Yesterday at 7:19 PM

Sounds like a manager who knows he lost the game through his poor tactical decisions.
#359bantam2708, Yesterday at 7:40 PM

Northampton were poor. Set up for the point, got the goal and just tried to shut up shop and waste as much time as possible. Typical Keith Curle side.
#382Frank Castle, Yesterday at 8:28 PM

At least we helped to end this little run of theirs though.....

t's not all just about the performance... that was the first time in two and a half years we've come from behind to win a game. Two and a half years. I'll happily just take a show of bottle and go from there
#432Doodle, 30 minutes ago

To be fair, that's probably how I would have seen it if I was sat in their end as well...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2019, 15:36:00 pm »

Just had a run through the Bradford messageboard........pretty surprisingly they were less than complimentary about us.

Keith Curle is as bad as Parky for a one eyed view of proceedings. How about their entire team time wasting from the word go. How the keeper wasn’t booked? It was a concerted effort by multiple players to delay play. Which was his game plan. At least their time wasting bit themselves by the end. You got what’s you deserved. Jack.
#347Smartmart, Yesterday at 7:19 PM

Sounds like a manager who knows he lost the game through his poor tactical decisions.
#359bantam2708, Yesterday at 7:40 PM

Northampton were poor. Set up for the point, got the goal and just tried to shut up shop and waste as much time as possible. Typical Keith Curle side.
#382Frank Castle, Yesterday at 8:28 PM

At least we helped to end this little run of theirs though.....

t's not all just about the performance... that was the first time in two and a half years we've come from behind to win a game. Two and a half years. I'll happily just take a show of bottle and go from there
#432Doodle, 30 minutes ago

Typical patronising comments from them!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2019, 15:38:03 pm »

To be fair, that's probably how I would have seen it if I was sat in their end as well...

Perhaps he was trying to 'win ugly' rather than a glorious defeat. It didn't work out but that how it seems on here, the tactics are only as good as the result.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2019, 15:44:49 pm »

I am not disputing anything that has been said, but we had 3 great chances to score in the second half. If we had taken 1 of them this board would probably look different. Had we have taken all 3 it definitely would.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2019, 15:50:04 pm »

I am not disputing anything that has been said, but we had 3 great chances to score in the second half. If we had taken 1 of them this board would probably look different. Had we have taken all 3 it definitely would.
Exactly, despite Bradfords dominance, their keeper had to make the more telling saves.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 15:53:38 pm by sixfields starling » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2019, 20:28:54 pm »

Perhaps he was trying to 'win ugly' rather than a glorious defeat. It didn't work out but that how it seems on here, the tactics are only as good as the result.

Head up Larry - dont let the negative ones get you down
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2019, 20:32:14 pm »

.................................................... I hope you are as equally vocal if you turn out to be wrong.

Not a chance CC not a chance - keep your head up and don't let the negative ones get you down!
Report Spam   Logged

EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2019, 20:33:18 pm »

We played for a smash and grab win at Bradford and tried to hang on to what we had 2nd half. Fair enough, lots of teams do it. If we played like we did against Plymouth every week we could take yesterdays result, but add it to the performances of most of the last three seasons and optimism flies out the window.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2019, 21:29:56 pm »

I think that regarding this I do have a bit of sympathy. If we had tried to take the game to Bradford and lost it could have been argued that we shut up shop? With hindsight obviously it didn’t work, but I think in our position at the time many managers would have done the same? This is especially relevant in our case as we definitely have the personnel to defend a lead. Whilst I think Curle has made his fair share of errors in the past I personally feel this is not one of them? Additionally as I said previously we still created chances to win the game so it could also be argued that our inability to take them led to our downfall as much as anything? On that I also have a bit of sympathy with Oliver, the lad did everything right only to be denied by a cracking save. So all up I just think the criticism is a bit harsh this time?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2019, 22:30:04 pm »

I think that regarding this I do have a bit of sympathy. If we had tried to take the game to Bradford and lost it could have been argued that we shut up shop? With hindsight obviously it didn’t work, but I think in our position at the time many managers would have done the same? This is especially relevant in our case as we definitely have the personnel to defend a lead. Whilst I think Curle has made his fair share of errors in the past I personally feel this is not one of them? Additionally as I said previously we still created chances to win the game so it could also be argued that our inability to take them led to our downfall as much as anything? On that I also have a bit of sympathy with Oliver, the lad did everything right only to be denied by a cracking save. So all up I just think the criticism is a bit harsh this time?

Good little article Melly! Talk about hindsight criticism; the opinions of supporters actually there I can understand but the armchair critics particularly from the more vociferous seem to have some kind of dooms day agenda on KC/Team. Some critical opinions are  actually constructive and make for a good read.
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2019, 09:06:15 am »

At the end of the day , we are an average side and will always play in a smash and grab style away from home . I’m not sure we have the players to absorb pressure and run down the clock against the better teams but it’s the way it will continue.
It’s at home we have the issues. Plymouth gave us space to play and not many division 2 teams will replicate that. If the manager continues to play attrition football at Sixfields as he has done throughout last season and the beginning of this , then we will be in trouble and my view is that it will end in him getting the sack.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2019, 10:35:53 am »

The game was screaming out for a pacey attacker and Billy waters was not the answer, right at the end of the game he had the chance to go down the line and deliver a ball and he bottled it and came backwards. Had we had someone with pace and a bit of conviction we could have punished them on 2-3 occasions and it would have looked like a tactical master class.

I saw an over dependence on Nicky Adams to carry the ball forward, and I have never seen him as that type of winger. You need to work the ball out to him to deliver quality into the box , not depend on him to out pace defenders when breaking.

From what I have heard Kaja is rapid, and we can only hope that he has the confidence and conviction to make the most of the scenarios that Adams, Hoskins and Mcwilliams Fluffed in the 2nd half or these smash and grab away tactics are going to be incredibly frustrating to watch.

As other have said we opted to sit very deep which just invited pressure and made an equaliser and then winner look and feel inevitable. It might have been a better option to move Turnbull into midfield when the 3rd centre back came on rather than go three at the back. To give some protection and attempt to break attacks down before crosses came into the box. 
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2019, 11:11:38 am »

The game was screaming out for a pacey attacker and Billy waters was not the answer, right at the end of the game he had the chance to go down the line and deliver a ball and he bottled it and came backwards. Had we had someone with pace and a bit of conviction we could have punished them on 2-3 occasions and it would have looked like a tactical master class.

I saw an over dependence on Nicky Adams to carry the ball forward, and I have never seen him as that type of winger. You need to work the ball out to him to deliver quality into the box , not depend on him to out pace defenders when breaking.

From what I have heard Kaja is rapid, and we can only hope that he has the confidence and conviction to make the most of the scenarios that Adams, Hoskins and Mcwilliams Fluffed in the 2nd half or these smash and grab away tactics are going to be incredibly frustrating to watch.

As other have said we opted to sit very deep which just invited pressure and made an equaliser and then winner look and feel inevitable. It might have been a better option to move Turnbull into midfield when the 3rd centre back came on rather than go three at the back. To give some protection and attempt to break attacks down before crosses came into the box. 

Some good points/observations here👍
Report Spam   Logged

crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2019, 11:18:14 am »

Agree with a lot of this. I don't think KC did much wrong at all. When he was making the substitutions, there weren't many people voicing their disdain at the time. Even if you look on this thread, people weren’t criticising the subs until after we’d lost. Typical nonsensical hindsight criticism. It’s also funny how some of the people on here were criticising the Kaja signing when it was announced, yet they are now all of a sudden hammering KC for not bringing him on as if he was going to be the messiah that would get us the three points  Huh? Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2019, 11:48:12 am »

I don't think KC did much wrong at all. When he was making the substitutions, there weren't many people voicing their disdain at the time. Even if you look on this thread, people weren’t criticising the subs until after we’d lost. Typical nonsensical hindsight criticism.
You , obviously, weren't sitting anywhere near me because virtually everyone disagreed with the timing of Williams going off and replacing an "out ball" in Adams for another defender. The problem I've got with the second half tactics is that even when you clear the ball, because there is no one up the pitch, it inevitably comes straight back in. Sam Hoskins and Billy Waters were not going to win defensive headers, so why not push them up the pitch, giving us a 50/50 chance of clearing the ball to one of our players as opposed to the 100% guarantee of it coming straight back ?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2019, 11:48:48 am »

Agree with a lot of this. I don't think KC did much wrong at all. When he was making the substitutions, there weren't many people voicing their disdain at the time. Even if you look on this thread, people weren’t criticising the subs until after we’d lost. Typical nonsensical hindsight criticism. It’s also funny how some of the people on here were criticising the Kaja signing when it was announced, yet they are now all of a sudden hammering KC for not bringing him on as if he was going to be the messiah that would get us the three points  Huh? Roll Eyes

I criticised the Wharton for Adams substitution at the time (73 mins), it pushed the back five onto the penalty spot whilst removing a forward threat that allowed Bradford 20+ minutes to commit all in their pursuit of an equaliser and eventual winner.  Which they did in the 77th and 88th minutes.
It wasn't hindsight from this callsign.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2019, 12:33:05 pm »

I criticised the Wharton for Adams substitution at the time (73 mins), it pushed the back five onto the penalty spot whilst removing a forward threat that allowed Bradford 20+ minutes to commit all in their pursuit of an equaliser and eventual winner.  Which they did in the 77th and 88th minutes.

Agreed,

The issue was not the numbers in the box or the centre backs ability to defend the balls into the box. The issue was the lack of an out ball and stopping it coming straight back. In Curle's defence Ollie was winning more and was laying balls off but we were so deep breaks were running out of steam before they were even a threat.

Wharton coming on could have worked as he a bit better on the ball than the other two and would of increased the chance of us picking one of our players out when clearing out lines. That would have freed up Turnbull to try and gain a foothold in midfield.
Report Spam   Logged

crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2019, 13:03:38 pm »

I can agree with the Wharton one, and in an earlier post I did say that this was the change that KC probably got wrong. But had the two chances we had gone in, it would have been deemed a masterclass. Fine margins I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2019, 13:10:51 pm »

You , obviously, weren't sitting anywhere near me because virtually everyone disagreed with the timing of Williams going off and replacing an "out ball" in Adams for another defender. The problem I've got with the second half tactics is that even when you clear the ball, because there is no one up the pitch, it inevitably comes straight back in. Sam Hoskins and Billy Waters were not going to win defensive headers, so why not push them up the pitch, giving us a 50/50 chance of clearing the ball to one of our players as opposed to the 100% guarantee of it coming straight back ?

Well it must have been fairly quiet murmurs because usually our fans aren't afraid to be extremely vocal on Curle. I agree with you on the tactics point, you always need an out ball. But the players have got to take some blame. They kept giving the ball away time and time again. The more experienced players in the squad needed to manage the game better. You have experienced players for that exact reason. Last week when we beat Plymouth everyone was raving about how good Turnbull, Hoskins, Adams, Goode etc played but this week its all KC's fault. It works both ways. When we win its because of how good our players were or the opposition giving us more space but when we lose its KC's fault. Not saying you personally, but many on here.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2019, 13:44:12 pm »

Didn't go to the game, but thought I'd comment on our form so far.

After our first 3 matches of the season, we had a tough run of 5 games: Swindon, Colchester, Plymouth, Bradford and Newport. A draw against Newport would give us 7 points from these 5 matches, IMO an encouraging return considering all (bar maybe Colchester) will likely finish in the top 7 this season.

The losses in the first two home matches however have been the most damaging so far. Even a win against a poor Macclesfield side would have seen us on 10 points which would have been a solid start to the season.

Our next 8-9 matches after Newport are IMO much more favourable and it will be our return from these fixtures that will indicate whether we will do well this season or not.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: