The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:54:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Newport County Sept 14th

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newport County Sept 14th  (Read 6194 times)
crazycobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 09:59:13 am »

It always baffles me how we generally always seem to be playing catch up to teams like Newport County. Since they've come into the football league they've hardly struggled. With an average home gate of around 3000 a week they've managed to put some decent squads together over the years and had a few close calls with the playoffs. The more I see certain teams do well the more I think there is something wrong with the club, something deep-rooted which pre-dates both the current coaching staff and ownership.

Anyway, onto Saturday. Will be a tricky one against a side who I imagine will be full of confidence. Expecting Jamille Matt to be a real handful, always been quite impressed by him whenever I've seen him play. Think Newport will be well coached and very difficult to break down. Having said that, our performance levels seem to go up a bit when we're expected to struggle.

1-1, Willo to net again.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 10:07:42 am »

You don’t miss an opportunity to enlighten all on your personal view of the manager. If the side plays well you have a very grudging appraisal of the Manager. After a period of time you lose credibility with your repetitive mantra. Of course you are entitled to an opinion but to mislead many on here with your persistent negative views suggests you are not a bona fide supporter but somebody with a grudge against current NTFC staff/management.
I’m not going to get into a personal, boring dispute with you Evers but I can assure you I have no grudge at all with the staff or management at the football club ! I have close friends at the club and also regularly stand up for KT in some situations but not all . I also often praise players, like we all do.
I am not keen on KC or his methods but have no grudge and want him to succeed .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 10:46:17 am »

You don’t miss an opportunity to enlighten all on your personal view of the manager. If the side plays well you have a very grudging appraisal of the Manager. After a period of time you lose credibility with your repetitive mantra. Of course you are entitled to an opinion but to mislead many on here with your persistent negative views suggests you are not a bona fide supporter but somebody with a grudge against current NTFC staff/management.

Why do you feel it necessary to judge everyone? If somebody comes on here with 'persistently negative views' then that is up to them. It doesn't stop you presenting persistently positive views if you want. More often than not your posts concern your views on the legitimacy of individuals posting an opinion if it doesn't correspond with your own. If they did it would make it a very boring place to visit. My humble suggestion would be that you express your opinions on the thread title without following fascistic tendencies.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 11:35:01 am »

It always baffles me how we generally always seem to be playing catch up to teams like Newport County. Since they've come into the football league they've hardly struggled. With an average home gate of around 3000 a week they've managed to put some decent squads together over the years and had a few close calls with the playoffs. The more I see certain teams do well the more I think there is something wrong with the club, something deep-rooted which pre-dates both the current coaching staff and ownership.

I hope some people take note that Newport are owned by their Supporters Trust, proving it can work. The only team above them in League 2, Exeter City, are also Trust owned ! They both get smaller gates than us, food for thought ?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 12:08:19 pm »

I hope some people take note that Newport are owned by their Supporters Trust, proving it can work. The only team above them in League 2, Exeter City, are also Trust owned ! They both get smaller gates than us, food for thought ?  Wink

It's a good point - however I suggest the malcontents would soon be asking for more than just a well run club flirting with promotion and occasionally achieving L1 status.

Personally I think a Trust/Fan owned club can work in the lower divisions but looking at the ridiculous wages in Championship and above is not going to work at that level.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 12:42:43 pm »

Why do you feel it necessary to judge everyone? If somebody comes on here with 'persistently negative views' then that is up to them. It doesn't stop you presenting persistently positive views if you want. More often than not your posts concern your views on the legitimacy of individuals posting an opinion if it doesn't correspond with your own. If they did it would make it a very boring place to visit. My humble suggestion would be that you express your opinions on the thread title without following fascistic tendencies.

I am not judging anybody which by your ad hoc comments is something you are adept at! I also do not persist in pointless positive views particularly in the current climate. You are merely engaging in a narrative which suits your personal agenda. I too have an opinion and am entitled to question those who persistently criticise the club/manager and staff. The operative word here is ‘persistently’ ; of course the persistent ones are entitled to do this ; as I or you can do.
On a more serious note you use the word ‘fascistic’ which I utterly deplore and strongly reject. Under the circumstances please withdraw that accusation which is totally unfounded and certainly not in the spirit of this forum.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:52:59 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 12:55:16 pm »

That’s a very good point well made .
Someone earlier in the thread referred to why we seem to continually under perform against our peers . It’s worth considering our main shareholders live abroad most of the time these days and see things from a distance. In a fan owned club , it is lived and breathed .
I’m no great advocate of the model but you have to say there are benefits .
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 13:11:45 pm »

It's a good point - however I suggest the malcontents would soon be asking for more than just a well run club flirting with promotion and occasionally achieving L1 status.But that is all we have ever been for the last 50 years, but sometime not well run

Personally I think a Trust/Fan owned club can work in the lower divisions but looking at the ridiculous wages in Championship and above is not going to work at that level. It does become a whole new ball game at Championship level, but Burton stayed there for a couple of years. They are a much smaller club than us, but very well run

Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 13:15:38 pm »

That’s a very good point well made .
Someone earlier in the thread referred to why we seem to continually under perform against our peers . It’s worth considering our main shareholders live abroad most of the time these days and see things from a distance. In a fan owned club , it is lived and breathed .
I’m no great advocate of the model but you have to say there are benefits .

Which brings us back full circle and begs the question is anything progressing behind the scenes with the trust as it’s gone very quiet over the last few weeks? Things at the club seem to be in stasis both on and off the pitch. I like the suggestion of of Director of Football who would oversee all things particularly in terms of player recruitment which means that the constant merry go round of new managers coming in and being lumbered with other people’s signings might be avoided.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 19:11:34 pm »

Which brings us back full circle and begs the question is anything progressing behind the scenes with the trust as it’s gone very quiet over the last few weeks? Things at the club seem to be in stasis both on and off the pitch. I like the suggestion of of Director of Football who would oversee all things particularly in terms of player recruitment which means that the constant merry go round of new managers coming in and being lumbered with other people’s signings might be avoided.

Bit of a pipe dream that but use of stasis why not in limbo, inactivity or even equilibrium :
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 19:15:35 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 22:49:34 pm »

Whilst true you can also argue that we have never been relegated out of the football league either. I think that’s quite an achievement in this day and age? Whilst I am not suggesting this is the ultimate standard to attain for the club, my view is that we are currently performing slightly above par? As I said not something to be totally content with, but perhaps worth considering in the context of a discussion regarding the performance of the club in recent years?

By the way, 2-0 to us, but only if Turnbull plays the holding role?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 22:55:16 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 22:58:02 pm »

people don't give the Welsh enough credit for inventing the condom it's just a shame they didn't take it out of the sheep first
It has always puzzled me why they called it New South Wales here in Oz? I’ve just had an epiphany.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
phil_in_npton

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 04:55:19 am »

Good Morning Cobblers fans!

I thought I’d best pop in and say hello! However as it’s 05.30 in the morning I might get in and out without being noticed! Obviously this is one of the highlights of my season as my team play here in Northampton, where I live. I don’t remember seeing County win at Sixfields though so expectations are somewhat cautious despite current form of both sides.
I’ve only seen Newport once this season, first game of the season, we let in two goals, we haven’t conceded since. I guess I’m going to jinx that record then!
We seem to be playing quite aggressively these days, chasing lost causes and challenging hard in 50/50 situations ( also in 40/60 ones too unfortunately!)
We all thought losing key players, mostly defensive, would set us back this season but Mike Flynn has recruited well.
Mike Flynn is the key to our current success, and our undoing this weekend could well be as a result of all the speculation of his possible leaving for the Lincoln job. We know it’s going to happen sooner or later but it will be a big loss when it does.
All in all I’ll settle for a draw today, that way it keeps my old mam happy too, big Cobblers fan and will be listening at home. Five of us attending from the Northampton branch of the Newport County Supporters Club, whatever the result today I wish the Cobblers improved fortunes for the rest of the season!

Phil in Northampton

Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 09:31:41 am »

This has got to be a wind up? Grin
20 years of almost all struggling L2 football, unable to progress due to poor infrastructure. Our gates are barely  2% catchment,  one of the smallest in professional European football and you reckon we're slightly performing above par?
This is the kind of 5hite Thomas used to come out with, but even he has now reeled it in!
Can't you just pin this somewhere on your profile? Reckon it will save you hours in finger work
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 10:00:37 am »

For Melbourne to make the comment that he thinks we have performed slightly above par demonstrates that successive owners of the club have been allowed by supporters to set ambitions so woefully low.  Beds is right on this aspect but it doesn't only apply to the Thomas era. 

Burnley is a reasonable example of what can be achieved at a club that represents a town about 25% the size of Northampton in population terms.  Not so many years ago it was a few minutes from losing its EFL place. Now it commands a place in the Premier League. The reason is it has learned from its mistakes and has good owners, all locally born and Burnley supporters, and good management appointed by the current board.  Contra NTFC with its main owner who has made an appearance at about 3 matches in fast approaching 4 years and his front "football man" who turns up at the club a couple of times a month.  Managerial appointments (only 5!) during their tenure have been awful with the jury currently out on KC.  Small wonder that we find ourselves in 18th position in the basement division. 

Tomorrow we host supporters owned Newport who sit 2nd in the table with debt free supporters owned Exeter at the top.  The conventional privately ltd company owned business model isn’t working at NTFC but I fear it will take a financial crisis to change things.   
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 10:32:13 am »

For Melbourne to make the comment that he thinks we have performed slightly above par demonstrates that successive owners of the club have been allowed by supporters to set ambitions so woefully low.  Beds is right on this aspect but it doesn't only apply to the Thomas era. 

Burnley is a reasonable example of what can be achieved at a club that represents a town about 25% the size of Northampton in population terms.  Not so many years ago it was a few minutes from losing its EFL place. Now it commands a place in the Premier League. The reason is it has learned from its mistakes and has good owners, all locally born and Burnley supporters, and good management appointed by the current board.  Contra NTFC with its main owner who has made an appearance at about 3 matches in fast approaching 4 years and his front "football man" who turns up at the club a couple of times a month.  Managerial appointments (only 5!) during their tenure have been awful with the jury currently out on KC.  Small wonder that we find ourselves in 18th position in the basement division. 

Tomorrow we host supporters owned Newport who sit 2nd in the table with debt free supporters owned Exeter at the top.  The conventional privately ltd company owned business model isn’t working at NTFC but I fear it will take a financial crisis to change things.   

So, any update on the Trust masterplan? Seems very quiet after the initial fanfair...

All well & good stating what should happen but what is actually happening behind the scenes? I'm a lifetime Trust member & have heard nowt!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:25 am »

Continue this discussion on the ReDev thread please...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2019, 11:53:57 am »

Good Morning Cobblers fans!

I thought I’d best pop in and say hello! However as it’s 05.30 in the morning I might get in and out without being noticed! Obviously this is one of the highlights of my season as my team play here in Northampton, where I live. I don’t remember seeing County win at Sixfields though so expectations are somewhat cautious despite current form of both sides.
I’ve only seen Newport once this season, first game of the season, we let in two goals, we haven’t conceded since. I guess I’m going to jinx that record then!
We seem to be playing quite aggressively these days, chasing lost causes and challenging hard in 50/50 situations ( also in 40/60 ones too unfortunately!)
We all thought losing key players, mostly defensive, would set us back this season but Mike Flynn has recruited well.
Mike Flynn is the key to our current success, and our undoing this weekend could well be as a result of all the speculation of his possible leaving for the Lincoln job. We know it’s going to happen sooner or later but it will be a big loss when it does.
All in all I’ll settle for a draw today, that way it keeps my old mam happy too, big Cobblers fan and will be listening at home. Five of us attending from the Northampton branch of the Newport County Supporters Club, whatever the result today I wish the Cobblers improved fortunes for the rest of the season!

Phil in Northampton

That’s not what you said on Exiles Forum Grin Cool
Report Spam   Logged

phil_in_npton

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2019, 14:31:18 pm »

Good Afternoon Everbrite!

Not sure which bit you may be referring to? My guess is the score line, in which case on a one off visit you may be confused. You see , every game I have £1 with Ladbrokes on Newport winning 4-0 hence in all my Exiles Grandstand pre match comments I predict 4-0, regardless of my real thoughts based on form etc. It’s just a tongue in cheek running joke. To illustrate this here are my comments copied from our forum prior to the Port Vale game.     

4-0 is my preferred score today, a nice 66/1 will pay for next weeks tickets at Sixfields

I hope that explains the difference!

Phil in Northampton

Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2019, 16:23:30 pm »

You remind me of the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. No substance in your predictions; a one way negative opinion on the Manager and end up forecasting a victory in a difficult fixture. Seems to me you are torn between supporting the team and the negative obsession you have with the current Manager.
And you remind me of the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland. A morbidly obese man who likes to wear women's clothes..

Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: