The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 12:20:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Newport County Sept 14th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newport County Sept 14th  (Read 6308 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2019, 02:05:46 am »

Do you get many English ales down under?
Not really, Guinness and Boddingtons is about it from our way(given Guinness is Irish obviously). I have even resorted to occasionally drinking Mythos which you can get as well. You’ll have to ask Cat if you want a critique of the local beer, he’s probably tried the lot? Anyway, enough of that what about my spot on prediction???
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2019, 07:31:02 am »

Not really, Guinness and Boddingtons is about it from our way(given Guinness is Irish obviously). I have even resorted to occasionally drinking Mythos which you can get as well. You’ll have to ask Cat if you want a critique of the local beer, he’s probably tried the lot? Anyway, enough of that what about my spot on prediction???
To be like the octopus who predicted the World Cup a few years ago we need your Stevenage prediction?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Athena

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2019, 07:36:06 am »

Would like to nominate Newport's sub Jermine Matt for the 'Most Pointless Sending off at Sixfields Ever' award. Came on with half an hour to go, offered nothing and then got himself cautioned for a second ridiculous foul on Martin and his total inability to stop mouthing at the referee. He then deliberately fouled Goode but moved away quickly to prevent any bother and I could not but help thinking he had learn his lesson from his previous caution. But no, he was not to be denied, another pointless foul on Turnbull in a non threatening position and off he went. What did all that achieve? If I was his manager he would be in for a very hard time from me. Still he was absolute rubbish as a player so I can't think he will be missed whilst suspended. Anyway, good win with plenty of positives, it all made for a pleasant afternoon.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2019, 08:05:15 am »

I’ve got a lot of respect for Flynn (not so much for his diamonds reject assistant Hatswell who spent most of the game desperately trying to get Turnbull sent off) but for him to say that “the first goal was a definite foul” and then the way they both carried on after the second goal making out that their diving number 10 had been fouled smacked of clutching at straws.
Report Spam   Logged
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2019, 10:25:46 am »

Another really good home performance again, we totally nullified any sort of threat and made them look really ordinary. Didn't look anywhere near a top 2 team, so hats off to KC and the players for such an accomplished afternoons work. Everybody played well, Goode is going to become a real fans favourite, the captaincy has really matured him into a very good defender. A special mention also for Turnbull, who not only had an excellent game , kept his cool despite being targeted when on his yellow card. Need to back this up with a result Tuesday and things will be looking up and we will be gaining some momentum.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2019, 10:36:33 am »

Have to say, in all honesty I wasn’t that excited when we re-signed Charlie Goode but he has been outstanding in the 8 games so far. Leads the team so well and his reading of the game is brilliant. Looks a bit stronger this year too. If we can keep him and Turnbull fit for most of the season I can see us being very difficult to beat at times. I can’t even remember Newport having a single shot on target yesterday. It’s going to be a case of whether we can consistently use the ball well and regularly produce that quality in the final third.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2019, 10:54:49 am »

A very good all-round performance yesterday, we looked solid and very well organised. Williams doing a lot of unselfish work up front, its good to see him getting (if you'll pardon the pun) a good run in the starting 11. There's some decent teams in this division this season, Bradford, Plymouth, Salford etc. There seemed to be a very good vibe around Sixfields (at long last) yesterday, the team looked a lot more confident and also looked a very tight knitted group. With us (fans) doing our bit as well, it could a very enjoyable season.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2019, 11:24:36 am »

To be like the octopus who predicted the World Cup a few years ago we need your Stevenage prediction?
Happy to oblige Manny, we’ll definitely score 4, possibly concede 1, and I’ve only got 2 legs.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2019, 12:09:16 pm »

To echo others thoughts about the match, yesterday was an excellent all-round team performance. I was actually more impressed with it than I was the showing against Plymouth, which though no doubt also excellent, was much down to the way we pressed them and our overall work-rate which was outstanding. I was skeptical if we could produce performances like that week-in-week-out, which is why I was even more pleased with the manner in which we played yesterday as I came away feeling we could play like that consistently rather than how we set out to play in the Argyle game.

Goode and Turnbull were both outstanding, but my MOTM was Adams who I thought had a great game. Harriman looked good and Lines is growing in confidence and influence, which is great to see. I also liked the look of Kaja, who despite a couple of miss-hit crosses/shots looked quick and dangerous. Overall very promising signs from him! Everyone put in good performances though and the team really feels like it's knitting together well, with a good spirit amongst the players looking evident.

My pre-season optimism has returned and I'm believing again that a top 7 finish is possible. There is a nice run of fixtures coming up, so hopefully from here the team can put a run together and start to climb up the table. Great stuff all round!

Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2019, 21:13:22 pm »

Nope, its about more than the three points for me....that's all!

As said before  “If you want entertainment, you could go out and get a bunch of clowns. If obtaining pleasure from matches is the only concern, then you could get rid of all the coaches and let the players go out and get on with it.”
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2019, 22:00:39 pm »

As said before  “If you want entertainment, you could go out and get a bunch of clowns. If obtaining pleasure from matches is the only concern, then you could get rid of all the coaches and let the players go out and get on with it.”
Do you find clowns entertaining then?
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2019, 23:20:36 pm »

Happy to oblige Manny, we’ll definitely score 4, possibly concede 1, and I’ve only got 2 legs.

That rout of yours is starting to become chronic, I fear.  I recommend a trip to your doc asap.  I would hate for it to become something debilitating.

Wishing you good health & happiness.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2019, 01:45:03 am »

I’ve seen enough, so I’ll be the first to chuck my cards on the table. With Turnbull in the holding role, Wharton and Goode at the back and Willo up top, this is already proving to be a formidable spine to the team. Keep them all firing and fit and if Adams also plays consistently well we will make the playoffs absolute minimum. Feel free to give me a kicking, but I know I’m right. What do you think about that then?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:47:43 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2019, 06:18:46 am »

I’ve seen enough, so I’ll be the first to chuck my cards on the table. With Turnbull in the holding role, Wharton and Goode at the back and Willo up top, this is already proving to be a formidable spine to the team. Keep them all firing and fit and if Adams also plays consistently well we will make the playoffs absolute minimum. Feel free to give me a kicking, but I know I’m right. What do you think about that then?

Having witnessed Col U away I’d say you’ve had an epiphany !!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2019, 07:46:10 am »

So refreshing to see us being more successful without having to lump it to a big man in the side .
I am not sure where that would leave us if Williams got injured or how that reflects on the Summer recruitment but pleased with the progression .
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2019, 10:08:09 am »

I agree on the Goode comment mentioned earlier, he really has exceeded my expectations so far this season. The back 4 as it was yesterday with Turnbull in front of them looks very solid. If we could bring McCormack in next to Turnbull that would be such a solid base moving forward.

Hopefully McWilliams is ok as he was excellent when he was on the pitch, really looks to be taking another step in terms of his ability on the ball.

Not trying to find a negative for the sake of it, but I cant recall seeing a target man striker as menacing in appearance as Smith who plays with such little aggression. Hes shouting at his team mates a lot and hes an absolute unit but he dosnt go up for headers with any conviction, dosnt back into the CB's to bully them etc, hopefully he can develop as we need cover for Williams.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2019, 14:14:03 pm »

I agree on the Goode comment mentioned earlier, he really has exceeded my expectations so far this season. The back 4 as it was yesterday with Turnbull in front of them looks very solid. If we could bring McCormack in next to Turnbull that would be such a solid base moving forward.

Hopefully McWilliams is ok as he was excellent when he was on the pitch, really looks to be taking another step in terms of his ability on the ball.

Not trying to find a negative for the sake of it, but I cant recall seeing a target man striker as menacing in appearance as Smith who plays with such little aggression. Hes shouting at his team mates a lot and hes an absolute unit but he dosnt go up for headers with any conviction, dosnt back into the CB's to bully them etc, hopefully he can develop as we need cover for Williams.

Agreed and also a mention for Hoskins who got so much more right with an end product this game - I don’t think the comments on Smith are overly negative, rather reasonable observation - for me he is neither in the right place at the right time and his first touch is frankly poor - hopefully he will improve but Williams and Olivier are currently far ahead of him in respect to contribution and goal scoring potential.

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2019, 08:07:47 am »

Based on the Walsall game, the problem with McCormack is his lack of mobility really hinders the team in terms of getting upfield quickly to put pressure on the opponent.

This energy is what Watson / McWilliams / Pollock all offer alongside Lines.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: