The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:22:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Where did it all go wrong

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did it all go wrong  (Read 4788 times)
Grove

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« on: September 13, 2019, 19:29:55 pm »

What ever happened to this once great messageboard, there were some great discussions in the past on here, yearly trips away and awards for the players, always someone on line with banter aplenty, has it been killed by facebook and twitter, has it been killed by pests who post on here , or is it just the general apathy that currently surrounds our club ?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 21:00:58 pm »

I'm sick and tired of reading the same old búlls*** from people with no clue about the financial implications of running a football club, but an agenda against the current owners.
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 21:18:26 pm »

It's very rare to discuss the football side without personal agendas against the manager or owners overtaking the discussion. Following the Cobblers and talking Cobblers should be a release from the every day struggles and stresses of life.
Let's enjoy it for what it is. I'm going tomorrow with an ex-work friend who is making his first visit to Sixfields, or the "new ground" as he called it. He lives in Banbury which is where I work. His Mum is from Northampton and still lives here. He's really looking forward to the match, I hope the team can deliver on the pitch and he wants to return. Incidentally his brother used to cycle from Banbury to the County Ground in the sixties. This all may sound a bit pointless but it's better than bickering about the East Stand or KC's cv.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 21:34:44 pm »

To be honest I just skim read most threads now. Most of them just descend into a morass of repetitive bleating about Thomas, redevelopment & catchment areas from certain people and relentless squabbling and attempts to police the board from another regular poster.

It does get a bit boring and with little to get excited about on the pitch most weeks there's even less reason to come on here to engage with anyone. You can kind of see why a lot of people don't bother at all anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 22:05:55 pm »

There you go Ian. There’s your answer.

Whether you run a football club. Try to help out on here. Or just try to sell a few Cobblers towels, they’ll try to crush any ounce of optimism you have out of you...

When we did all those great things you mentioned, we were no worse, or better off football wise. We were just supporters. Some of us still are.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 22:14:40 pm »

This question pops up every now and then....

Combination of all the factors already mentioned....a lot of people have been turned off by the bickering and opinionated, plus the not so opinionated!

Other football clubs still have thriving messageboards, I remember when we had 4 on the go at the same time. Facebook has taken over to a degree but it seems like the football fans of northampton are just not engaged any more.

Apathy reigns!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 22:22:22 pm »

What ever happened to this once great messageboard, there were some great discussions in the past on here, yearly trips away and awards for the players, always someone on line with banter aplenty, has it been killed by facebook and twitter, has it been killed by pests who post on here , or is it just the general apathy that currently surrounds our club ?

There are groups of supporters who post on here, who do one of the following:

1) Shout down others.
2) Desire failure for the club
3) Desire failure of the manager
4) Desire failure of certain players
5) Are abusive and offensive in responding to others' posts
6) Prevent anyone else from posting their thoughts due to their oppressive behaviour.

Get rid of the regular c@nts, and let this Board flourish.

The guilty folk will look in their mirrors and say "It can't be me, it must be that other f@cker".

Constructive discussion is brilliant.  Such a shame this board full of sh1t-heads.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 23:21:10 pm »

Get rid of the regular c@nts, and let this Board flourish.

The guilty folk will look in their mirrors and say "It can't be me, it must be that other f@cker".

Constructive discussion is brilliant.  Such a shame this board full of sh1t-heads.

That sounds like a good idea...
It wouldn't surprise me if those you describe aren't aware of the number of previous posters, now absent, who see them as belonging to one or more of those groups.  They probably also don't realise how they have dragged the board down to the level described in this short thread, therefore ruining it for the others who just want to discuss football.
If they* were removed, I would guess that at least 60% of the current regular 'contributors' would disappear.
(*They would be those that we receive the most complaints about.)
Would those numbers be replaced/frequented by the absentees who would like the board to return to something similar or resembling its original form?   
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 02:58:39 am »

Is this about me?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Tom

View Profile
Search Mobile User Apple User
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 06:51:20 am »

I think there are a few things that I think contribute:

Everyone gets on everyone else's back- We're here to discuss stuff, but often it descends into petty arguments - can't even count the number of times I've seen a thread and just gone "not worth getting involved".

Negativity - I frequently check out other teams forums before/after games and they almost always have a much more positive vibe, we seem to just complain on here, complain about the board, the club, the players...it's hard for people to get involved or excited about that.

Dated software - this site isn't up to date with latest forum software, it's kind of awful to use - I mean no offense to anyone by saying this, but you compare it to others and it's just a fact.

Thread Merging - This might be personal preference but this is the first forum I've used regularly where topics are merged together so broadly - things like new signings all in one thread, every reference to the redevelopment in one thread etc leading to topics with 25k replies which is just totally unreadable - I personally prefer the approach of new news (new signing, new development) = new thread which most forums go with.

I get the need for some organisation, but to me it just goes to far and actually discourages discussion. If you were a new user, would you jump into a thread with 25k results? or would you rather jump into one with 20 that's about some recent development? This also makes the forum seem much less active having the same topics there every time you visit & no new ones. How many people see a new post and then think "oh just another redevelopment post, probably just two people having a go at each other again - nothing to see here" when it could be something new or interesting.

Social - Social has taken over, it used to be that i'd come on here and see a thread about a new signing and that'd be the first I knew about it, but now that has been taken by social - I guess that could partly tie into the last comment - I'd be more likely to share "Welcome X player" thread than "Summer Transfers" - and it'd be more likely to be clicked if shared too.

Just a few thoughts

Report Spam   Logged

singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 06:58:09 am »

Is this about me?

Did you really have to ask  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 08:31:12 am »

Some people who frequent this board with numerous identities and different personas spoil it for the majority, with the sole purpose to wind people up.
If the mods can see the MAC address, you’ll see my point.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 09:10:24 am »

Fairly simple, most threads end up in the same arguments about things off the pitch and petty name calling or the inevitable "do you even go to games".

Love it when people can actually debate about different footballing opinions, but often it's just "X player is s***" or "did you can to X team away" rather than factual discussion.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 12:42:42 pm »

Nothing to add here as last posters have summed it up nicely - but just to add a couple of comments

1) I have never understood why people have to refer to others as twats etc for having an opinion - I shouldn’t react but I’m afraid sometimes do. In this polarised society don’t people realise starting a reply with “Good/interesting point - however...... “  is actually going to make people take an interest in an alternative view.
2) Mind blowing repetition of the same thing.
3) Being shot down for valid intelligent observation of something that isn’t good.
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 14:10:20 pm »

I take full responsibility.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 14:25:45 pm »

I think it's because we stopped beating the teams below us, losing to the ones above and never hitting the predicted 57 points....
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 15:41:48 pm »

It hasnt been the same since redletter left
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 16:42:08 pm »

I would say that repetitive negative messages about players and management is the biggest problem! Not always easy to police!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest216

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 16:49:44 pm »

Football forums have always been full of bickering and nitpicking, any suggestion otherwise is just rose tinted glasses.

It's the rise of social media and the preference of centralised discussion. Every message board I used to visit has similarly wound down in the last few years, nothing unique about this place.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 18:01:56 pm »

Some people who frequent this board with numerous identities and different personas spoil it for the majority, with the sole purpose to wind people up.
If the mods can see the MAC address, you’ll see my point.

He who smelt it dealt it.
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: