The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:29:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stevenage away

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stevenage away  (Read 7428 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2019, 11:27:17 am »

This was laughable. Not a chance was there anywhere near 2,400 home fans.

I thought that we had about the 450-500 mark, the stand is a 1400 seater and there were quite a few covered.
Irrespective, a good turn out that produced a good noise.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2019, 11:39:06 am »

Quote from KC
“ we took an extra touch and people came in short to supply a pass to “
In other words - wallop it son and you lot chase after the f****r....
Today’s training - watch the rugby World Cup !
Keep on trucking lads

Jeez mate, you need to turn it in - we’re fully aware that you don’t like Curle or his style of play but you don’t need to constantly go on about it. The consensus from most who were there is that they enjoyed and appreciated the steely, backs to the wall performance - no it wasn’t particularly pleasing on the eye but we won the game and are on a bit of a run and confidence will hopefully be boosted. We’ve also got to bear in mind that we are without Watson who was arguably our best player until he got injured and McCormack who if/when fully fit should be an asset. On the subject of Harry Smith, another whom you seem to have taken against, can’t we put his red card down to inexperience coupled with the elation of having opened his account a few minutes before? Whenever he’s been on the pitch he’s had his shirt ripped which shows that it works both ways.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2019, 11:50:15 am »

Quote from KC
“ we took an extra touch and people came in short to supply a pass to “
In other words - wallop it son and you lot chase after the f****r....
Today’s training - watch the rugby World Cup !
Keep on trucking lads

just wanted to check - it was 0-0 at half time, and then he changed the tactics and we won 1-0 and his half time sub scored the winner?! is that right?!

i suppose he didnt want to say that turnbull was slowing the game down too much when he had the ball.

the pundits thoughts spurs were overplaying and too slow on the ball last night, but i doubt people are bemoaning Poch for it.

they said the same about arsenal too as they squandered their lead at watford.

not sure the plymouth fans would have gone home from sixfields happy with a 3-1 loss either, as at least they overplayed it at the back.

you dont get promotion for looking pretty, you get it for the most points come the end of the season - if every now and then we get them with a performance like this then we should be happy. i'll take the performances at home against plymouth and newport if away from home we are digging in when needed and picking up points.

i am still waiting on the stats regarding harry smith being a "walking sending off every time he plays" as well if you have time.

thanks
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2019, 11:58:40 am »

KCs comments about the referee in the Chron sum the situation up perfectly for me. He said (in summary) that applying the law by dishing out soft yellow cards early in the game then leaves nowhere to go later on when things heat up a bit. Curle suggested that he wished our nemesis would learn a bit from this and use a more common sense approach and let the game flow a bit more.

Not sure whether that's ever going to happen though!

Which ones were the 'soft' early yellow cards?  21', 25', 38' or 41'?  Or do we stop having yellow cards in the first half?
All four were fully justified and mandatory.
That was despite he issued the first he had provided verbal warnings to a number of players from both sides that could have attracted cautions.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:20 pm »

I appreciate I'm in the minority here but to give the point of view from Breakespeare is that if a player deliberately commits a foul then he's a definite candidate for a yellow or red card. Clumsy and miss-timed tackles can be forgiven but if you deliberately foul a player then you shouldn't be allowed to complain about the level of punishment. It was the same with hand balls and 'professional' fouls back in the day.
Cynical and deliberate tackles should be eradicated from football.

If you are referring to the Smith incident then that conclusion is wrong as the second incident was not a deliberate foul with an attempt to injure player. It was mistimed perhaps but not malicious. What is cynical is the behaviour of the Stevenage players including the 'tackled' player.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2019, 13:23:01 pm »

just wanted to check - it was 0-0 at half time, and then he changed the tactics and we won 1-0 and his half time sub scored the winner?! is that right?!

i suppose he didnt want to say that turnbull was slowing the game down too much when he had the ball.

thanks

I thought that Turnbull was subbed as he was booked and looked likely to receive another? Well that was the conclusion from learned fans near me!
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2019, 13:27:52 pm »

I thought that Turnbull was subbed as he was booked and looked likely to receive another? Well that was the conclusion from learned fans near me!

Formation change to 4-4-2 with McWilliams dropping more defensive, showed the tactical change.
A good move by KC which would have probably created even more goals until the red card.
Report Spam   Logged

1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2019, 17:53:02 pm »

So now in addition to KC you now add Smith as a target for your unprincipled comments.

To be honest Evers, I personally agree with what B&S says here. I've no agenda against anyone at all.
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2019, 17:55:53 pm »

Which ones were the 'soft' early yellow cards?  21', 25', 38' or 41'?  Or do we stop having yellow cards in the first half?
All four were fully justified and mandatory.
That was despite he issued the first he had provided verbal warnings to a number of players from both sides that could have attracted cautions.

Sorry, was just paraphrasing what KC said to the Chron?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2019, 18:43:04 pm »

Sorry, was just paraphrasing what KC said to the Chron?

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2019, 21:58:28 pm »

If you are referring to the Smith incident then that conclusion is wrong as the second incident was not a deliberate foul with an attempt to injure player. It was mistimed perhaps but not malicious. What is cynical is the behaviour of the Stevenage players including the 'tackled' player.

I wasn’t referring to any particular incident, just that deliberate fouls including body checks should all be candidates for cards. A simple free kick can often be beneficial to the team that commits the foul. It must be virtually the only sport where breaking the rules can gain an advantage.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2019, 22:52:14 pm »

To be honest Evers, I personally agree with what B&S says here. I've no agenda against anyone at all.
Thank you ‘71.
I have no agenda either but do expect a level of skill when I pay to watch a football match
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2019, 23:09:35 pm »

Jeez mate, you need to turn it in - we’re fully aware that you don’t like Curle or his style of play but you don’t need to constantly go on about it. The consensus from most who were there is that they enjoyed and appreciated the steely, backs to the wall performance - no it wasn’t particularly pleasing on the eye but we won the game and are on a bit of a run and confidence will hopefully be boosted. We’ve also got to bear in mind that we are without Watson who was arguably our best player until he got injured and McCormack who if/when fully fit should be an asset. On the subject of Harry Smith, another whom you seem to have taken against, can’t we put his red card down to inexperience coupled with the elation of having opened his account a few minutes before? Whenever he’s been on the pitch he’s had his shirt ripped which shows that it works both ways.
Sorry Irchy . I do respect your views and your well balanced posts .
Of course I am happy we are getting results and building momentum. I just get frustrated with the standard of football we seem to aspire to .
I take on board your comments and will try and go along with it !
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2019, 13:14:48 pm »

Sorry Irchy . I do respect your views and your well balanced posts .
Of course I am happy we are getting results and building momentum. I just get frustrated with the standard of football we seem to aspire to .
I take on board your comments and will try and go along with it !

No worries mate, apologies if it came across as hostile. I think we’d all love to see us playing expansive, attacking football but at the moment I think we’re starting to build some foundations and hopefully we’ll be able to improve from there. The last 2 home performances have been really enjoyable and hopefully tomorrow will be a continuation.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2019, 09:27:26 am »

Thank you ‘71.
I have no agenda either but do expect a level of skill when I pay to watch a football match

Bet you a fiver we will see another ‘told you so’ at the earliest p.m! You have strong form on KC. Bet you are all in a tremble with anticipation.
Report Spam   Logged

ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2019, 10:16:11 am »

Bet you a fiver we will see another ‘told you so’ at the earliest p.m! You have strong form on KC. Bet you are all in a tremble with anticipation.

Ooh er, missus!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: