The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 15:19:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Creepy Crawley 21st September

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creepy Crawley 21st September  (Read 5052 times)
guest3338

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2019, 22:58:26 pm »

Apologies R, the message was 2 to Northampton vrs Crawley. Having touched base again with my “informant” the actual message was 2-2 Northampton vrs Crawley apologies once again whilst I get the hang of this.
It takes a while to get the fine tuning right Mr C.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC87

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Apple User Level 4
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2019, 00:10:24 am »

Due to the conditions, we were not able to do our pressing game, and we gave Crawley far too much time and space to play.
Our second goal was class .... And for most of the game Williams struggled upfront on his own - we looked a different team when Oliver came on to support him.

what conditions were they then
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2019, 07:12:38 am »

You'll always take 7 points from 9 so I won't moan too much about chucking 2 points away yesterday. I thought we played some good stuff and looked very comfortable defensively until Oliver came on. That's not a dig at him at all, it's just the slight change of shape that came with the substitution meant we were very narrow in midfield with no one protecting the full backs at all. The first Crawley goal I think was mostly down to that, although the time allowed to pick the (very good) finish was also criminal. I think Curle fixed the formation problem when Kaja came on for Williams but then we sat back too much in the last 10 or 15 minutes. If only the second penalty had gone in...
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2019, 07:15:15 am »

Just a few random observations after watching the highlights: our first penalty was never a penalty, it looked more like a foul to them if anything. I thought we possibly “scored too early” and slightly sat on the lead, the midfield dropped too deep at times leaving Williams exposed - he ran himself into the ground. I don’t know if it’s the case but it almost looked as if we possibly relaxed when they took their best/most dangerous player (Lubala) off, letting the sub onto his right foot for the first. It’s a shame for the equaliser that warburton got turned far too easily in the box but I suppose that’s the danger in coming on so late and having to pick up the pace immediately. On a side note, I noticed Steve Morison in the west stand - I know he’s a local lad but it’s a bit strange as Shrewsbury had a game - he was sitting next to mick harford who I assume was scouting Lubala for Luton.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2019, 08:35:09 am »

The highlights show how badly we tired . For the first goal ,players were struggling to close down from the beginning of the move. As soon as Adams went off we were exposed down our right side and Harriman had little protection .
The change of shape with the subs really didn’t help us at all .
It’s harsh to be critical though - I thought we played well overall.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2019, 08:48:36 am »

what conditions were they then

It was hot 25/27c - did you not notice?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2019, 08:50:53 am »

Been at the sherry again  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2019, 09:45:01 am »

Replacing Lines with Warburton was not a very clever move by Curle - striker for midfielder. Williams needs to stop trying to arm grapple with defenders and concentrate on trying to win the header. He’ll get more fouls that way. Oliver is much better at winning the ball.
Report Spam   Logged
Martin

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2019, 10:00:43 am »

In my opinion the problem yet again was with the substitutions. At 2-0 we should have brought on some extra strength in midfield but using Scott Pollock instead of Kaja. Williams has put in a good shift but should have stayed on the pitch. I had no problem with Oliver replacing Adams who I still think is underperforming. The changes that should have been made should therefore have been Oliver for Adams and Pollock for Lines and these should both have happened on about 70 minutes. If a final change was really necessary it should have been a bit earlier than the 88th minute and Warburton certainly wouldn't have been my choice. I would have preferred Jay Williams who could add some defensive strength to help us see the game out. Warburton is pretty lightweight and at that stage you need someone who can put in a tackle.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2019, 10:36:04 am »

I said it after the first game of the season, and I stick by it, we are not as fit as we should be. I know it was hot yesterday, but it was hot for Crawley as well. I know it could be the way we are playing, certainly so in Williams' case, but we seem knackered after 75 minutes and let in late goals as a result.
Report Spam   Logged
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2019, 10:58:09 am »

Another decent performance yesterday, shame about conceding at the death, it’s always hard to take, especially the manner of the goal as well. McWilliams was easily MOM in my eyes , an energetic, tackling display capped with a fine goal , scouts will be watching in abundance if he has a good run in the team and doesn’t get injured. Although it should have been 9 points from 9, like has been said ,most would have accepted 7 from 9. If we are going to progress up the league, the next 3 games are all winnable against teams struggling, 7 from 9 though would put us in a good position to have a successful season.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2019, 13:02:34 pm »

Semi decent crowd who were clearly expecting more! As for Crawley thought they were very ordinary with misplaced passes a plenty. Late PS why is the North Stand so poorly attended for the last two home games.
Pity Lines missed the penalty straight at the goalie with a weak shot compared with the first. Defensively ok until the last 20 mins. Big lesson from Crawley who never gave up and who went searching for goals which were not necessarily there. Why on earth we had to surrender the midfield as we did in the last 20 mins.  Personally I thought that Lines had a so so game seemed to go awol at times. Turnbull was quiet with one or two good moments. No big drives from him which has been such a feature in recent games. Very disappointed by Harriman who back tracked more quickly than Monty Python on judgement day when faced by their winger. Inevitable goal followed. Should Cornell have saved it based on his current form - probably not? Certainly the second goal should have been avoided; a result of timid defending in the last quarter. To be quite honest Williams gives me the abdabs; he showed what he can do with a dribble into their penalty area (2nd half) and it took 3 players to dispossess him. Why cant he do this more often? He also needs to be bolder when trying to win headers - after all he is 6' plus! True he did win some headers but was not closely challenged.
Hoskins was Sammy - bit of a bridesmaid although I thought McW was more worthy of MOM accolade. Adams still over hits some of his crosses. About time McC was fit and ready for action too; we are definitely missing Watson with his upfield drives. Can appreciate Lines sub' if it was Warburton can understand if it was made to give impetus to a tiring midfield.
For Morecambe would draft in McC and push Turnbull further upfield and replaces Harriman with McW! Certainly bring in Smith together with Williams to terrorize a shaky Morecambe defence....I hope!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 13:13:25 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2019, 13:14:42 pm »

It was hot 25/27c - did you not notice?
so we're playing a type of football that we are unable up play for around a third of the season?
Handy.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2019, 13:19:35 pm »

so we're playing a type of football that we are unable up play for around a third of the season?
Handy.

A third of a season? Christ Climate change has taken a hold!
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2019, 13:20:26 pm »

Another decent performance yesterday, shame about conceding at the death, it’s always hard to take, especially the manner of the goal as well. McWilliams was easily MOM in my eyes , an energetic, tackling display capped with a fine goal , scouts will be watching in abundance if he has a good run in the team and doesn’t get injured. Although it should have been 9 points from 9, like has been said ,most would have accepted 7 from 9. If we are going to progress up the league, the next 3 games are all winnable against teams struggling, 7 from 9 though would put us in a good position to have a successful season.

Totally agree. I thought that was Seans best ever game for us and that was before he scored.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2019, 13:44:07 pm »

Late PS why is the North Stand so poorly attended for the last two home games.

You get a better view from the East.

Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2019, 15:02:47 pm »

I agree Harriman didn't get much protection for the last 15 mins, but got to say it. I thought their left-winger had him on toast. I really think Harriman went to pieces, he didn't no whether to go tight on him, he didn't show him down the line once, the lad just cut inside every time. It was an accident waiting happen and it did! Still got to say 7 points from a possible 9 in a week is a very decent return.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2019, 15:50:26 pm »

I think Harriman is suffering late on due to the lack of a proper pre-season but will keep improving.

Yet again Hoskins had 3 shots and ALL 3 were off target but his general play has improved.

Williams, Oliver and Smith are too similar and we are suffering because we have no pacey athletic forward to stretch a defence.

We are improving but I would like to see more game time, from the bench, for our youngsters like Pollock and Roberts!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2019, 16:07:20 pm »

Semi decent crowd who were clearly expecting more! As for Crawley thought they were very ordinary with misplaced passes a plenty. Late PS why is the North Stand so poorly attended for the last two home games.
Pity Lines missed the penalty straight at the goalie with a weak shot compared with the first. Defensively ok until the last 20 mins. Big lesson from Crawley who never gave up and who went searching for goals which were not necessarily there. Why on earth we had to surrender the midfield as we did in the last 20 mins.  Personally I thought that Lines had a so so game seemed to go awol at times. Turnbull was quiet with one or two good moments. No big drives from him which has been such a feature in recent games. Very disappointed by Harriman who back tracked more quickly than Monty Python on judgement day when faced by their winger. Inevitable goal followed. Should Cornell have saved it based on his current form - probably not? Certainly the second goal should have been avoided; a result of timid defending in the last quarter. To be quite honest Williams gives me the abdabs; he showed what he can do with a dribble into their penalty area (2nd half) and it took 3 players to dispossess him. Why cant he do this more often? He also needs to be bolder when trying to win headers - after all he is 6' plus! True he did win some headers but was not closely challenged.
Hoskins was Sammy - bit of a bridesmaid although I thought McW was more worthy of MOM accolade. Adams still over hits some of his crosses. About time McC was fit and ready for action too; we are definitely missing Watson with his upfield drives. Can appreciate Lines sub' if it was Warburton can understand if it was made to give impetus to a tiring midfield.
For Morecambe would draft in McC and push Turnbull further upfield and replaces Harriman with McW! Certainly bring in Smith together with Williams to terrorize a shaky Morecambe defence....I hope!
Just the first sentence I'm responding to;
Absolutely gutted coming out of the ground yesterday - felt of course like a defeat! Did think though, Crawley were very good. Fast, physical (if not a little dirty at times) and on reflection, a draw about the right result on balance of play if not outright chances.
Thought Harriman did well, linking up with Adams.

Also, regarding the North Stand - credit where due, first time in a while outsinging the Upper West and maintaining throughout.
Put that down to it being Dan's birthday and consumption of whisky playing its part!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2019, 16:26:05 pm »

You get a better view from the East.

Wink
And the West. There is nothing to stop people changing stands these days, so as long as we aren’t playing in front of sellouts there are plenty of seats free in the West.
£249 for a North Stand season ticket and spend most of the season in the West or East.....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: