The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 21:26:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Leyton Orient - 5th October

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leyton Orient - 5th October  (Read 6596 times)
Dan

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2019, 14:17:03 pm »

One thing that did surprise me was the booing to William's being subbed. He was as crap as Smith.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2019, 14:24:25 pm »

One thing that did surprise me was the booing to William's being subbed. He was as crap as Smith.

He had a poor game, but there's always a chance he can grab a goal, chasing an equaliser at home and take off two strikers, which include your top scorer, and only bring one on? Bizarre decision and the boos weren't out of place at all.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2019, 15:15:37 pm »

We were very poor yesterday, no doubt about it. KC identified the problems in his post match interview but as usual attached no blame to himself. Of course he is not on the pitch to make the tackles or score the goals, but a lacklustre performance is a reflection of on the management as well as the players, and he NEVER takes the blame for anything. Orient were much more up for it. Our forwards seemed to be fouled regularly without a whisper of complaint to the referee when the Orient players were in his face for any kind of challenge. That's the fighting attitude you need when you're not playing well and it wasn't there yesterday. Why not? Charlie Goode's absence is the kind of thing that can happen to any team and cannot be used as an excuse.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2019, 16:52:54 pm »

He could play two defensive midfielders in a two man 'pivot'.

When everyone is fit I'd like to see this set-up:

Arnold

Hall-Johnson  Goode  Wharton  Harriman

McCormack  Turnbull

Kaja          Watson         Adams

Williams

SUBS: Oliver, Lines, Warburton, Hoskins, Martin, McWilliams, Pollock, Cornell

The full-backs would get licence to push forward in this set-up, while I think Kaja, Watson and Adams are would be our best 3 attacking midfielders/wingers.

Smith shouldn't be anywhere near the 18 at the moment, while Hoskins and McWilliams aren't good enough, though Hoskins would still make the bench. Lines needs a period out of the XI as well.
So you would drop Cornell ..... probably our most in form player after Goode ?
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2019, 18:53:27 pm »

I called the McWilliams sub 15 minutes before it happened, but Lines should have been taken off as well instead of Williams. Curle should have made the subs at least 10 minutes earlier, if not at least 1 at half-time as it was obvious nothing was working. He got it badly wrong yesterday.

Curly should definitely have made changes at half time and it hardly mattered who he took off, apart from Wharton and Cornell everybody else was atrocious.
Isn't Wharton one of those waste of space loan players?
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2019, 19:21:47 pm »

We were poor yesterday and once again the subs were baffling.
Since
Looking at some of the new players in the squad yesterday, they really haven't lived up to the expectations, have they?

Harriman - I seem to remember he said something about being the best full back in the squad. If he really thinks that he's delusional; he's barely the best full back in the squad.

Hall-Johnson - not really fair to judge him on yesterday when out of position, but he's pretty ordinary.

Wharton - pretty good so far.

Martin - bang average.

Adams - still not up to speed yet.

Lines - I've seen him a good few times in the past and rate him as I've seen him dictate play. He's yet to do that for us, but in fairness it must be hard to dictate anything when the ball is sailing over your head 90% of the time.

Smith - the biggest disappointment so far. When it was said that we were about to sign a big striker, I thought "I really hope it's that lad from Macclesfield...." and lo and behold it was. He caused us all sorts of problems but I've yet to see him make any use of his physicality to good advantage.

Oliver - got to be worth a start as he looks a far better option than Smith right now.

McCormack- god knows, but looked ok in a brief cameo yesterday.

Warburton - we all love a bit of romance and a player plucked from non league is a bit Roy of the Rovers, isn't it? I really wanted him to come good and on his debut he showed real promise. He's gone downhill since then and yet yesterday he looked like he'd won a competition to be there.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
andy scouse

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2019, 06:01:05 am »

Quite fitting really that James Brophy should score the winner as the last time he played at Sixfields against the Cobblers was for Swindon when Edinburgh was our manager and although we beat them on the night he gave us the run around and I am sure Edinburgh remembered this performance which may have influenced him signing him for the Os. As I can only comment on the Cobblers from afar in Scouseland the issue as I see it for where the Cobblers will end up this season rests on our ability to core more goals per game and kill teams off. Williams still seems to be our best hope in this respect, all the other alternatives in the shape of Hoskins, Smith, and Oliver have so far lived up to their previous track records elsewhere and not shown the ability to put the ball in the net on a regular basis.
Report Spam   Logged
Macc Cobbler

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2019, 06:30:58 am »

Warburton - we all love a bit of romance and a player plucked from non league is a bit Roy of the Rovers, isn't it? I really wanted him to come good and on his debut he showed real promise. He's gone downhill since then and yet yesterday he looked like he'd won a competition to be there.

Really feel for Warburton.
Looks like the confidence has been really knocked out of him.

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2019, 06:46:36 am »

Really feel for Warburton.
Looks like the confidence has been really knocked out of him.

Agree, he was put in the starting line up too early without the opportunity of a league 'apprenticeship'. He is now, like someone else described him, looking like a competition winner having probably lost some of his confidence in those early games.
There's a massive difference between National league and the fourth division which cannot always be bridged on (potential) ability alone.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2995

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2019, 07:44:11 am »

We were poor yesterday and once again the subs were baffling.
Since
Looking at some of the new players in the squad yesterday, they really haven't lived up to the expectations, have they?

Harriman - I seem to remember he said something about being the best full back in the squad. If he really thinks that he's delusional; he's barely the best full back in the squad.

Hall-Johnson - not really fair to judge him on yesterday when out of position, but he's pretty ordinary.

Wharton - pretty good so far.

Martin - bang average.

Adams - still not up to speed yet.

Lines - I've seen him a good few times in the past and rate him as I've seen him dictate play. He's yet to do that for us, but in fairness it must be hard to dictate anything when the ball is sailing over your head 90% of the time.

Smith - the biggest disappointment so far. When it was said that we were about to sign a big striker, I thought "I really hope it's that lad from Macclesfield...." and lo and behold it was. He caused us all sorts of problems but I've yet to see him make any use of his physicality to good advantage.

Oliver - got to be worth a start as he looks a far better option than Smith right now.

McCormack- god knows, but looked ok in a brief cameo yesterday.

Curle wanted his players in, playing his way . He said it would all change once that happened and we could move forward .
Well, arguably the best three players this season are Goode , Turnbull and Cornell who were all at the club last season . The young players are not coming through at all and the new signings are a big disappointment .
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2019, 08:47:02 am »

Anderson!

He was sat in front of me on Sat, chatting to Turnbull and Watson. I was told he'd packed in football entirely though...

Edit: having had a quick google, it doesn't look like him and Watson have played together elsewhere. They seemed very chummy on Sat so perhaps he has been training with us
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:49:44 am by claretparrot » Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2019, 09:26:48 am »

He was sat in front of me on Sat, chatting to Turnbull and Watson. I was told he'd packed in football entirely though...

Edit: having had a quick google, it doesn't look like him and Watson have played together elsewhere. They seemed very chummy on Sat so perhaps he has been training with us
I think he lives fairly local, near Melton Mowbray, so he could be training with us out of convenience.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2019, 11:16:06 am »

Anderson was anonymous when he was here before . Why would it be any different now ?
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2019, 11:24:14 am »

Anderson was anonymous when he was here before . Why would it be any different now ?

because anyone who isn't in the team is the next saviour of the club...................morais being the most recent one!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3293

« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2019, 11:44:25 am »

Basically we are rubbish.

Where are the young players we were promised would get a go? Why do we keep trying the same things that never work?

Curle Out.
Report Spam   Logged
cobblergaz59

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2019, 11:51:45 am »

Anderson!
Was not the only ex-player/winger in the crowd on Saturday...Crackers was there too, although I can't see him coming back just yet. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2017"
guest1269

« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2019, 13:03:01 pm »

Quite fitting really that James Brophy should score the winner as the last time he played at Sixfields against the Cobblers was for Swindon when Edinburgh was our manager and although we beat them on the night he gave us the run around and I am sure Edinburgh remembered this performance which may have influenced him signing him for the Os.

Even if KC hadn’t done his historical work on Brophy the first 10 mins showed he had a yard more pace than our fullbacks - did KC do anything to eliminate this threat? - of course no as we have a manager with tactics based on his playing days and devoid of flexibility or adaptability.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2019, 13:14:22 pm »

We’ve had quite a few in the last couple of home games - Steve Morison, Gary megson, les Ferdinand - I have no idea why any of them would want to watch, I can only assume they were watching the opposition.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2019, 13:48:09 pm »

We’ve had quite a few in the last couple of home games - Steve Morison, Gary megson, les Ferdinand - I have no idea why any of them would want to watch, I can only assume they were watching the opposition.
Rumour had it that Les Ferdinand lived in Thrapston, don't know if he still does or ever did
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2019, 13:55:07 pm »

Rumour had it that Les Ferdinand lived in Thrapston, don't know if he still does or ever did

I believe he’s still the director of football at qpr but he definitely looked like he was there as a guest of KT - a bit odd as I’m sure qpr had a match. Perhaps he’s going to be our new DoF (I wouldn’t be adverse to this position being created to be honest - at least it might give us s bit of continuity for the first time ever)!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: