The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:50:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Who would you replace Curle with?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you replace Curle with?  (Read 8432 times)
threeinabed

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 07:23:03 am »

anyone
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 07:25:57 am »

Oh come on......after 13 games last year we were 19th, this year after 13 games we are 18th......

This time last season (under Austin and Curle) we'd lost 5 of our first 13, this season (under Curle alone) we have lost 6.

That's progress in anyone's book isn't it?  Grin
Someone in the media needs to put that to Curle directly . He needs challenging .
In the meantime , let’s see Clarence spin an answer ....
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 08:17:15 am »

Someone in the media needs to put that to Curle directly . He needs challenging .
In the meantime , let’s see Clarence spin an answer ....

curle said himself that 16 league games is when you can see where the team is going to be at for the season

so he will probably be sacked in 3 games time unless he wins them all
Report Spam   Logged
bwills

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 09:58:02 am »

Kevin Wilkin please. If Curle was to be sacked, it would be in a better position than Austin left us, which is why I think we can afford the risk of a non league manager.

I, too, wouldn't mind seeing what he could achieve at this level with an experienced dof . Another one, a bit leftfield,  matty Taylor,  I believe he passed his coaching badges this summer,  would have good contacts all through the game.

The thing is does the current owners want progession and all the inherent costs or just have us in a holding pattern until someone else shows an interest in buying the club?
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 10:47:22 am »

Plenty of teams have already changed managers this season.....12 to be exact. If its not working, its not working.

I don't subscribe to the theory that he should just get the bulk of the season...because I just don't see any progress. I'd argue that the standard of football and entertainment is less this season than last season. Giving him till spring or whenever, and certainly thinking that KT will give further backing in January is just pure folly.

As for injuries....come on, every team has them. If we have been unlucky with injuries then how much of that is down to the type of player we brought in or the types of training and fitness work we do....again, that points to Curle.
McCormack (who looked quality on Saturday I will add) for example only featured in 19 league games last season, why expect anything different with us another year down the line?

We can hardly cry about injuries when we are bringing that type of player in. What next, cry about bookings and suspensions too, because some of the players are undisciplined, timewasters....again, that all comes back to.....

Yes, there have been 13 league games this season, but add that to the last nine games of last season and we have gained 6 wins in 22, three at home and three away.

8 managers have been sacked so far this season, and most have been teams on the bottom of the table or at least in the relegation zone: Stevenage, Oldham, Huddersfield, Watford, Southend, Barnsley and Reading. Most of these hadn't won a game at the time of their sacking. None were only 2 points off the top half of the table either, as we are at the moment with Curle.

McCormack was actually in Lutons matchday squad for 32 league games last season so he was mostly available. As injuries in general, yes every team has them at some point, and they then often go through a dip in form if they make any important players unavailable for any length of time.

Why just use the last 9 games from last season, when many of the players knew they were on their way out the door and our season was more or less over? Why not use the whole of KC's tenure? That's 69 points from 49 league games by the way. I fancy us to finish on more than 70 points this season myself.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 11:09:44 am »

Of course I state my opinion .... it’s what people do on message boards !!
We are going backwards because the consistency of results are no better than they have been since Austin left , the home form has hardly improved , the quality of play is worst than its ever been and there are now no youngsters playing at all.
I do not see where your optimism lies for finishing anywhere near the play off zone or even in the top half .
Yes we have had injuries but Curle has signed ageing injury prone players on not insignificant wages .
As for 13 games - we didn’t progress throughout last season either and so it makes it a calendar year in my book that we have gone nowhere

I like the look of many of the players brought in over the summer. At times this season we have looked very good against strong opposition (Newport and Plymouth). I think overall the squad is stronger than last season. Curle's last season at Carlisle (17/18) saw them finish 10th, so he has managed a top half finish recently. So far in his tenure with us we have won 69 points in 49 games. Just a slight improvement in overall form will likely see us finish in the top half.

What youngsters would you like to see starting above McCormack, Watson, Wharton, Goode, Turnbull, Harriman, Williams and Adams?

Who are these ageing, injury prone players? Let me guess. Ageing: McCormack, Lines, Adams. Injury Prone: McCormack. That's it, right? It's also arguable whether McCormack is 'injury-prone' or not, as he was fit for most of last season and played a chunk of it in what was the league above. Many Luton fans even seemed to be disappointed he was let go as they felt he could still do a job for them in the Championship!

We have gone nowhere - I didn't realise the season ended in October!
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 11:29:12 am »

. I fancy us to finish on more than 70 points this season myself.
I really hope you are right, but honestly, apart from 2 games, I've not seen any evidence of this but have seen a lot more evidence that we will finish in the bottom half.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 11:37:10 am »

Our forward line will not score enough goals to finish in the top half of the division.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 11:59:15 am »

Another vote for Jon Brady here, the youth will continue to rot away unless we are actually willing to give them game time to experience football at this level.

I know people are saying who they would replace in the team from the current crop, but they can always be options from the bench rather than starting. I thought Jay Williams did excellently in his run at CB last season, would he have been any worse than Hall-Johnson when he covered there for example (I thought he did okay to be fair though)? We don't have a left sided winger with Kaja injured, Morgan Roberts could get 10 minutes to replace a tired Adams or Hoskins? Pollock to replace a tired Lines?

We certainly don't seem to have options to change the game from the bench with our experienced pro's (McCormack maybe) so why not blood some youth?

The football this season has been reasonable when we have played the ball on the floor or into the channels for Willo to chase when needed. But too often lately we have reverted to playing hoofball (Smith has been poor when we have done this) or just sticking everyone behind the ball and waiting for the opponent to take us apart. That is on Curle, I'm not having his comment that the players are doing this by themselves, you are stood watching them so do something about it if they are!

I really wanted Curle to get things right, most of his signings seemed like the right options on paper but lately it is just not working for me. I enjoyed watching the football under Austin, despite the results it was entertaining. At the moment the standard and way of playing is only going to be accepted by the fans if we win, as it is garbage.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 13:46:24 pm »

8 managers have been sacked so far this season, and most have been teams on the bottom of the table or at least in the relegation zone: Stevenage, Oldham, Huddersfield, Watford, Southend, Barnsley and Reading. Most of these hadn't won a game at the time of their sacking. None were only 2 points off the top half of the table either, as we are at the moment with Curle.

McCormack was actually in Lutons matchday squad for 32 league games last season so he was mostly available. As injuries in general, yes every team has them at some point, and they then often go through a dip in form if they make any important players unavailable for any length of time.

Why just use the last 9 games from last season, when many of the players knew they were on their way out the door and our season was more or less over? Why not use the whole of KC's tenure? That's 69 points from 49 league games by the way. I fancy us to finish on more than 70 points this season myself.

'only two points off the top half of the table'.... is that the height of our ambition then? Mansfield, Cambridge and Leyton Orient are only 1 point off, Walsall like us are two, Carlisle are only 3 points off.

The fact is we are 18th, down amongst many teams who can claim they are only a win or two outside the top half. That's all it is though...a claim! We are 6 points off the playoff spots, 9 off the promotion places, but 8 off the bottom of the table.
We are where we are...18th in League 2. We are one place higher this season than at the same stage last year, we have lost one more game at this stage than last year. Those are the facts, not some claret tinted glasses outlook on what might be.

I saw quality from McCormack on Saturday, and I hope he stays fit.

We can all pick and chose statistics, I remember a fantastic away performance at Oldham last season when those same players knew they'd be out of the door. It doesn't really have any bearing on anything. In that game i'd suggest the shackles were off and the players just went out and played. That is not the case this season, they are being restrained, they are being stifled, and they are being schooled to shut down the opposition rather than being allowed to express themselves on the pitch.

I believe the quality is there in the squad. We have a number of decent big name (for league 2) players, but for whatever reason our performances and results are not reflective of the resources at our disposal.

We have our own opinions as to why this is case...…..
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest2995

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 14:23:09 pm »

The one and only saving grace this season is the level of performance against Plymouth and Newport . What that does show is that we do have some players that when given the freedom , can play .
The problem is , Curle doesn’t allow them to play and so we just revert to type.
The fluke away wins at Stevenage and Swindon don’t count for much and there is nothing else to be happy about
Report Spam   Logged
roz

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2019, 09:33:34 am »

Sammo
Sammo has just been named as our new academy manager
Report Spam   Logged

Monkey & Gimps Mum - someone has to be!!!
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 09:54:08 am »

The best 2 coaches at this club are now in the youth set up .
Keep looking over your shoulder KC

The "dream team" being lined up...…..an exciting attacking coach renowned for developing youth players  plus another decent coach who can identify with the town and the club.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 09:55:04 am »

Caretaker manager-in-waiting!
Report Spam   Logged
claretarmy

View Profile
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 11:23:36 am »

I would replace Keith Curle with Phil Parkinson.

The problem I have is with replacing KC is that it must have been two weeks ago on the Cobblers show when the fans representative was saying how progress had been made since KC came in and everyone at the end of the show was talking about a 3-0 win at the weekend and how our squad is much better than the rest.

I'm pretty sure in a week or two everything will be rosy again, as no team is consistent and a couple of wins and you can move up 7-8 places.

Yes, we've been disappointing the last four games but still we are only six points from 7th place.

The one thing I don't like about Keith Curle is that he tends to focus on the opposition too much. Yes, you need to work out the opponents strengths and weaknesses but the last game it felt like everything was getting launched forward to win the seconds balls but nothing was sticking.

With players like Lines, Adams, Warburton and McWilliams we should be utilising them more and not just changing the whole way of playing against particular teams. Ultimately against Leyton Orient this didn't work.

Under Wilder do we think that it'd be a 70:30 ratio with regards to looking how we play and what the opposition do? Under KC it fells like 30:70.

I'm sure the players will have re-focused this week and hopefully that will show in the performance on Saturday.

Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 11:31:17 am »

I’d go for Sol Campbell without question. Did a brilliant job at Macclesfield and would earn the respect of our lot.

But then, other than Sammo, Fenwick, Wilkinson or Austin, I’d be happy with pretty much anyone.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 11:33:06 am »

The one thing I don't like about Keith Curle is that he tends to focus on the opposition too much. Yes, you need to work out the opponents strengths and weaknesses but the last game it felt like everything was getting launched forward to win the seconds balls but nothing was sticking.

With players like Lines, Adams, Warburton and McWilliams we should be utilising them more and not just changing the whole way of playing against particular teams. Ultimately against Leyton Orient this didn't work.

Under Wilder do we think that it'd be a 70:30 ratio with regards to looking how we play and what the opposition do? Under KC it fells like 30:70.

I'd agree with that. I've long said that you should play to your strengths and let the other team worry about dealing with you. Of course, that's different if you are playing in a cup game against a vastly superior side or if the opposition have a particular danger man, in which case you might man-mark him, but you don't set the whole side up purely with a view to nullifying the opposition, which it often feels like Curle is doing.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 11:34:13 am »

I’d go for Sol Campbell without question. Did a brilliant job at Macclesfield and would earn the respect of our lot.

But then, other than Sammo, Fenwick, Wilkinson or Austin, I’d be happy with pretty much anyone.

Harsh to mention Sammo in the same breath as that other bunch.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 12:31:51 pm »

Campbell did do a great job, and higher up the ladder he deserves a go...

If he came to us, got manager of the month quickly...he'd be off as soon as he got another offer. For that reason, absolutely no go in my book....
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 16:54:33 pm »

Campbell did do a great job, and higher up the ladder he deserves a go...

If he came to us, got manager of the month quickly...he'd be off as soon as he got another offer. For that reason, absolutely no go in my book....

I'd heard that the Macc players and fans weren't dis-chuffed when he left.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: