The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:09:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January Transfer Window 2020

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January Transfer Window 2020  (Read 47815 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2020, 12:23:29 pm »

Those that were at Salford on Saturday.....do you think we need a Thomas-Asante type player?

Take away the diving and deliberate handball, there was expectation and excitement not to mention danger every time he got the ball. He can (or players like him) make things happen. Someone with genuine pace and a half decent football brain bursting through the middle....

On the way home, I compared him with Derek Asomoah. Totally hit and miss, but very quick and unpredictable. Even if we got someone like him that wasn't good enough to start but more of a super sub, then fine. The issue is we don't have that type of player at the club, at all. Hoskins at a push I guess. But then we don't have the fullbacks to enable us to play 4-4-2 with confidence...not saying we should go 4-4-2, but having the option would be nice!

For me we need someone like Tomas-Asante, a decent left back (Joe Martin is woeful from what I've seen) and a number 10. Warburton can go back to Stockport on loan! Waters has already gone. Id ship out Martin as well. So 3 in 3 out for me; the 3 coming in being better than the 3 going out!
Report Spam   Logged
wingman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2020, 12:24:38 pm »

Those that were at Salford on Saturday.....do you think we need a Thomas-Asante type player?

Take away the diving and deliberate handball, there was expectation and excitement not to mention danger every time he got the ball. He can (or players like him) make things happen. Someone with genuine pace and a half decent football brain bursting through the middle....

We thought he was great in the first half, right pain in the arse to us, he hardly got the ball in the second, I think he is the player we were hoping Junior Morias was going to be.
Report Spam   Logged
Fred_NTFC

View Profile
Level 6 1000 Posts Search
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2020, 12:50:14 pm »

Danny Rose is very much in the current mould of our forwards, except hes a better finisher than Oliver and Smith (so the statistics say).

Oliver is involved in more aerial duels than any player in the league per 90 mins... and its not close to second! The Danny Rose we are linked to ranks 4th in that list, with Matt Harrold and James Hanson in 2nd and 3rd, so very much the target man type.

The difference being, Rose has 7 league goals this season against an expected goal return of 6.75, pretty solid.
Vadaine has 1 league goal against an XG of 5.55. As we all see, he causes major issues for the defence, but hes not a finisher.
Smith has 3 goals against an XG of 2.9.
Williams has 8 goals against an XG of 5.02, so as we all can see, hes comfortably our best finisher.

Signing Rose would make sense. He can rotate with Oliver and offers an increased goal threat, would be a positive addition in my eyes!

Yet he's only 5'8" according to his Wiki. Must have a bigger leap than even Oliver!
Report Spam   Logged

lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2020, 13:14:14 pm »

Yet he's only 5'8" according to his Wiki. Must have a bigger leap than even Oliver!

Also need to factor in Mansfield style of play. Not to say he wins all of them! His success rate is 38%, Olivers is 50.8%! Hes used to the long ball approach but clearly its not his strongest suit. Just looked back at his league goals this year and they are either pens or in an around the 6 yard area, could benefit alongside Oliver.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2020, 14:46:12 pm »

Already been mentioned on this thread and I agree with your astute observation. I cursed every time the player got the ball! To me he would be a useful addition to our squad. As for Agard he has been dropped by Mk for poor form.He looked useful against us a few times but not sure of his pedigree either; after all he is no spring chicken at nearly 30yrs.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2020, 15:17:03 pm »

I thought he looked a very tricky player with some excellent ball control. We have not had anyone like that at our club for a long time. Hoskins being likened to him, I don’t think so.
Other player I’ve seen like him was Harness at Portsmouth, caused us all sorts of problems all game and scored against us.
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2020, 15:17:54 pm »

It is Players of that style that supporters enjoy watching as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2020, 15:19:03 pm »

I see that Salford have followed up the signing of Tom Elliot (who I think will be decent at this level) with Bruno Andrade from Lincoln - I seem to recall him always looking useful when we’ve played against him and he’s a pacy winger that we could do with.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2020, 16:45:39 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but Danny Rowe of AFC Fylde has been made available for transfer. Prolific at National League level, but by all accounts not the hardest worker. Doesn’t seem to be a Keith Curle type player and may be too pricey (guessing Fylde are trying to cash in), but worth a mention nonetheless
Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2020, 17:19:04 pm »

It’s all very quiet isn’t it.. what happened to this Miller guy, surely if he was signing it would of been done by now?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2020, 17:25:28 pm »

It’s all very quiet isn’t it.. what happened to this Miller guy, surely if he was signing it would of been done by now?

Don't need to start paying his wages too early, we won't need him until the Swindon game...  Wink 
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2020, 18:17:39 pm »

I see that our former West Ham loan player Joe Powell has signed a 2.1/2 year contract with Burton.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2020, 00:14:14 am »

Do we have anyone lined up?
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2020, 04:44:04 am »

Do we have anyone lined up?

Yep bids are in
Report Spam   Logged
LawfordCob

View Profile
Level 4 Fifth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2020, 08:09:45 am »

Yep bids are in

More than one?
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2020, 09:11:24 am »

Wonder if we're waiting to see if Carlisle lose tonight, as we'll then get that extra £250K, which will considerably boost our coffers...
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2020, 09:16:50 am »

More than one?

My guess is Mansfield's Danny Rose and Hamilton's Mickel Miller. I think if we could bring both of them into the club then it would represent a very positive window, providing we don't lose any key players.

Realistically, the only important players that I could see us losing would be Cornell or Wharton (recalled to sell/loan to league 1 team). If either of those were to go it would be a loss and we would have to replace them. IMO Cornell has greatly improved this season, and I remain unconvinced by Arnold. I think Wharton would be easier to replace on paper, as CB is a arguably an easier position to recruit for than a 1st choice keeper, but then again Turnbull-Wharton-Goode have built a really good understanding as a back three partnership.

Aside from the 2 forwards (if we can get both) I think that we'd do well to bring in a good left back / wing back to take us up a level - I really don't see how Joe Martin was seen as league two level by our scouting team. Mal Benning from Mansfield is a good player, maybe we could try to tempt them with some of our cup cash?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:19:35 am by OCoole » Report Spam   Logged
guest3330

« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2020, 10:19:51 am »

Yep bids are in
Is it Danny rose?
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2020, 09:06:13 am »

If we are going to cement a top 7 place we really need to be looking for more quality in several positions, particularly LWB and strikers/attacking areas.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2020, 09:46:37 am »

If we are going to cement a top 7 place we really need to be looking for more quality in several positions, particularly LWB and strikers/attacking areas.

It would be good to see a few signals to indicate that we are not just accidentally doing well, but that the club is trying to get us up a league in genuine earnest.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: