The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:02:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cheltnum (h) 29/12

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheltnum (h) 29/12  (Read 4886 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2019, 22:57:50 pm »

People ask the question, what’s your preference? Some want results, for others it’s performance. Is it street wise, or is it excitement? Some want to contain the opponents, others want to tear em to shreds. Some want players who can run for 90 minutes, others want a few minutes of genius. Some people want 5 goals, others are content with a clean sheet. But truth is most supporters like me are as the phrase goes, Rocknrollas. Because a real Rocknrolla wants the fcuking lot.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2019, 23:23:54 pm »

I will make the point first, that yesterday...I was bored. Very bored.

But now for the big picture as I see it...

Curle took over, 14 months ago, with the team 22nd (?) in the division and looking to do 'a Chesterfield'. He toughened us up, made us hard to beat, we flirted with the play offs around March time when we went on a run, but ran out of steam and finished around mid table. Too many draws...

During the summer, he made mass changes. More money was saved than spent, considerably so. By my reckoning the budget is probably around half of what it was 14 months ago. Yet we have gone from 22nd to 9th during that same period...

Our best players are pretty much all robust 'types'. Charlie Goode, Turnbull, McCormack, Oliver to name but a few. Flair players, we only really have Adams who is proven. I think its fair to say he's not been at his best, even though he's got plenty of assists. No one can argue with his end product, but his general play has not been up to the same standard it was when he was here first time round, in particular during the first half of the title winning season. Watson, a decent footballer, has been injured for a large chunk of the season.

The flair/Creative players he has brought in or whom were already here have either disappointed or, even worse, not performed at all. Or for whatever reason, not been selected. Matty Warburton, Pollock, the winger with the weird name (cant recall it as I type this!), Billy Waters. Chris Lines has failed to live up to his billing. McWilliams has suffered a series of injuries/illnesses.

So having flirted briefly with a more 'exciting, expansive style of player', he's reverted back to basics, as he often says during his interviews. Basics being hoof. Hoof. And hoof again. It got us a point yesterday, 3 in the previous home game. And a point at Mansfield. Boxing day aside, our results have been decent since Scunny. I think a 3-2 defeat at Exeter would be a little harsh to get negative over.

We now enter another transfer window, KC's third and only his second where perhaps he can spend a few quid (on wages). Id expect to see an emphasis on flair players during his next stage of recruitment. Then perhaps, mixed in with the hardened pro's we've already got, we will see some entertaining expansive football. He's made it very clear that its a continuous evolvement, that he wants to see us play entertaining football. In the final third. Which lets be fair, is where we want the bloody ball to be in any case! Tippy tappy football through the middle probably isn't his game/style, but that doesn't equate to boring football with the right personnel.

Id say, lets what happens in the next few weeks.

As for dark arts. I simply cannot believe people on here are moaning about it. We said prior to KC that we were not street wise enough, our game management was appalling etc. Time and time again we were 'done' by teams cheating against us. Lincoln hoofed their way to the title last season and with it employed every single dirty tactic in the book. Forest Green are considerably nastier in that department than we are now. Cheltenham, whilst leading, were continuously cheating and time wasting. Throw ins, 3 players would chuck the ball to each other before one took it. The goal keeper was taking ages with his goal kicks. FFS, if we don't do it then we are never gonna win anything!!

And finally. The only entertainment on show yesterday was Charlie Goode tapping the lad on the head, winding him up and getting himself sent off! Reminded me of when Sammo did exactly the same to Ian Wright when defending a corner at West Ham during the Atkins days. I just hope he does it next time at the start of a game so we can play against 10 men for 89 minutes instead of 5 seconds!  Grin

Nice to see something so sensible and pragmatic on here. Good post.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2019, 23:31:05 pm »

I think the ref did us a favour as if it was outside the box he would have had to send Turnbull off as last man. A penalty and booking was a fair result within the spirit of the laws rather than absolute determination.
You do not want VAR, it’s killing the Prem for those that go to games.

The VAR was to guess in cheek tbh but that wasnt a penalty. And it wasnt a sending off either. If it was he would have gone regardless of whether it was in or out of the box.

Clearly the assistant ref couldnt have been up with play, if he was in line with the last defender(s) he should have seen it too. It wasnt event close to being in the box
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2019, 07:21:06 am »

The VAR was to guess in cheek tbh but that wasnt a penalty. And it wasnt a sending off either. If it was he would have gone regardless of whether it was in or out of the box.

Clearly the assistant ref couldnt have been up with play, if he was in line with the last defender(s) he should have seen it too. It wasnt event close to being in the box

The whole south end of the West Stand thought the lad was offside too but the lino was behind play and in no position to judge on anything.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2019, 08:13:36 am »

The whole south end of the West Stand thought the lad was offside too but the lino was behind play and in no position to judge on anything.

I sit in the North, but as soon as I saw the highlights my first thought was that he may have been offside.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2019, 09:11:40 am »

I think he could easily have been sent off. My point is that the ref made a common sense decision deciding that a penalty was the fair punishment. If the rules are taken too dogmatically you end up with blatantly unfair results.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2019, 09:15:14 am »

I will make the point first, that yesterday...I was bored. Very bored.

But now for the big picture as I see it...

Curle took over, 14 months ago, with the team 22nd (?) in the division and looking to do 'a Chesterfield'. He toughened us up, made us hard to beat, we flirted with the play offs around March time when we went on a run, but ran out of steam and finished around mid table. Too many draws...

During the summer, he made mass changes. More money was saved than spent, considerably so. By my reckoning the budget is probably around half of what it was 14 months ago. Yet we have gone from 22nd to 9th during that same period...

Our best players are pretty much all robust 'types'. Charlie Goode, Turnbull, McCormack, Oliver to name but a few. Flair players, we only really have Adams who is proven. I think its fair to say he's not been at his best, even though he's got plenty of assists. No one can argue with his end product, but his general play has not been up to the same standard it was when he was here first time round, in particular during the first half of the title winning season. Watson, a decent footballer, has been injured for a large chunk of the season.

The flair/Creative players he has brought in or whom were already here have either disappointed or, even worse, not performed at all. Or for whatever reason, not been selected. Matty Warburton, Pollock, the winger with the weird name (cant recall it as I type this!), Billy Waters. Chris Lines has failed to live up to his billing. McWilliams has suffered a series of injuries/illnesses.

So having flirted briefly with a more 'exciting, expansive style of player', he's reverted back to basics, as he often says during his interviews. Basics being hoof. Hoof. And hoof again. It got us a point yesterday, 3 in the previous home game. And a point at Mansfield. Boxing day aside, our results have been decent since Scunny. I think a 3-2 defeat at Exeter would be a little harsh to get negative over.

We now enter another transfer window, KC's third and only his second where perhaps he can spend a few quid (on wages). Id expect to see an emphasis on flair players during his next stage of recruitment. Then perhaps, mixed in with the hardened pro's we've already got, we will see some entertaining expansive football. He's made it very clear that its a continuous evolvement, that he wants to see us play entertaining football. In the final third. Which lets be fair, is where we want the bloody ball to be in any case! Tippy tappy football through the middle probably isn't his game/style, but that doesn't equate to boring football with the right personnel.

Id say, lets what happens in the next few weeks.

As for dark arts. I simply cannot believe people on here are moaning about it. We said prior to KC that we were not street wise enough, our game management was appalling etc. Time and time again we were 'done' by teams cheating against us. Lincoln hoofed their way to the title last season and with it employed every single dirty tactic in the book. Forest Green are considerably nastier in that department than we are now. Cheltenham, whilst leading, were continuously cheating and time wasting. Throw ins, 3 players would chuck the ball to each other before one took it. The goal keeper was taking ages with his goal kicks. FFS, if we don't do it then we are never gonna win anything!!

And finally. The only entertainment on show yesterday was Charlie Goode tapping the lad on the head, winding him up and getting himself sent off! Reminded me of when Sammo did exactly the same to Ian Wright when defending a corner at West Ham during the Atkins days. I just hope he does it next time at the start of a game so we can play against 10 men for 89 minutes instead of 5 seconds!  Grin

Bang on Drilling.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2019, 09:39:52 am »

I thought that Oliver had a good game and certainly put himself about but I have my doubts about whether or not Williams works alongside him. Like others have said, in an ideal world you would have someone smaller and quicker (and who can find the net consistently) to work off his flicks.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2019, 10:03:20 am »

Oliver is the better of the 2 in the air but Williams is cleverer with the ball at his feet. Remember a number of people on here questioning the signing of Oliver and at the start of the season he appeared to be number 3 choice striker, now he is number 1. Also at the start of the season Smith and Warburton were first choice but neither have been able to nail down a starting position.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2019, 10:42:22 am »

Williams has been well below par for a couple of months, I'd be looking for an upgrade in January.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2019, 10:50:26 am »

Williams has been well below par for a couple of months, I'd be looking for an upgrade in January.
For me Williams is the only bit of quality we have as a striker, agree he hasn’t been playing well but being on and off the bench can’t help.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2019, 10:59:22 am »

For me the initial foul was outside the box therefore not a pen, but the letter of the law states the last man stoping a clear goal scoring chance is a straight red.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2019, 11:19:30 am »

For me the initial foul was outside the box therefore not a pen, but the letter of the law states the last man stoping a clear goal scoring chance is a straight red.

if its a penalty, then it is only a red card if they havent made a genuine attempt to win the ball - they amended the rule to stop the double punishment
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2019, 12:24:42 pm »

Oliver is the better of the 2 in the air but Williams is cleverer with the ball at his feet. Remember a number of people on here questioning the signing of Oliver and at the start of the season he appeared to be number 3 choice striker, now he is number 1. Also at the start of the season Smith and Warburton were first choice but neither have been able to nail down a starting position.

Indicative of the quality we have at our disposal? I was one of those who thought Oliver would be a bit part player, purely based on his record before joining us.

For workrate alone i'd have him in the team, but can't hide the fact that he has scored just one league goal in 18 appearances (8 starts and 10 off the bench)
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2019, 12:40:08 pm »

Williams tried hard. No faulting his effort but he just wasn't very good, bless him. Jordan Turnbull was exciting to watch. Very few Cobblers players over the years have been like that. When he got the ball I always expected something to happen. It didn't work out every time but he was always looking to run at players and take them on. I was really impressed with Ryan Watson'as well. Tough, gritty, niggly and not afraid to put himself about. The defence looked solid as well. The whole game gave me a very good feeling.
But I don't like to get stuck on the negatives when there were so many positives. The midfield in general was class, with Ryan Watson more than showing KC he was wrong in not starting him in the league and Adams proving a bit of a revelation on the right wing. (As an aside, Hoskins doesn't help himself, he got a great reception when he came off , fans singing his name etc, and he just walked off in a complete sulk, thats not going to endear you to anyone, not that I care that he doesn't clap, but then he wonders if fans like him?)

Oliver looked very bright again, but I do still have concerns about whether old fashioned, tough league 2 defenders will simply be too strong for him. With Williams i  simply cannot understand how he is a first choice striker for us, in my opinion, he offers next to nothing, but having said that, 
do remember saying to my mate I thought he played well l or at least better than usual.

Williams had a good game by his standards but he was still one of the worst Cobblers players on the park. You can't question the effort but he can't seem to do any of the things you want your big centre-forward to do. He can't hold the ball up, his heading is usually poor, he doesn't score goals, he can't pick out his strike partner and often loses the ball, and to cap it off he's an easy one to mark- a good target man should be a nightmare for defenders but Williams just isn't. It's frustrating to see him in the side ahead of Smith when we all know Oliver is more likely to pose a threat.

Need to back this good performance on Wednesday,

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2019, 15:22:54 pm »

Williams tried hard. No faulting his effort but he just wasn't very good, bless him. Jordan Turnbull was exciting to watch. Very few Cobblers players over the years have been like that. When he got the ball I always expected something to happen. It didn't work out every time but he was always looking to run at players and take them on. I was really impressed with Ryan Watson'as well. Tough, gritty, niggly and not afraid to put himself about. The defence looked solid as well. The whole game gave me a very good feeling.
But I don't like to get stuck on the negatives when there were so many positives. The midfield in general was class, with Ryan Watson more than showing KC he was wrong in not starting him in the league and Adams proving a bit of a revelation on the right wing. (As an aside, Hoskins doesn't help himself, he got a great reception when he came off , fans singing his name etc, and he just walked off in a complete sulk, thats not going to endear you to anyone, not that I care that he doesn't clap, but then he wonders if fans like him?)

Oliver looked very bright again, but I do still have concerns about whether old fashioned, tough league 2 defenders will simply be too strong for him. With Williams i  simply cannot understand how he is a first choice striker for us, in my opinion, he offers next to nothing, but having said that, 
do remember saying to my mate I thought he played well l or at least better than usual.

Williams had a good game by his standards but he was still one of the worst Cobblers players on the park. You can't question the effort but he can't seem to do any of the things you want your big centre-forward to do. He can't hold the ball up, his heading is usually poor, he doesn't score goals, he can't pick out his strike partner and often loses the ball, and to cap it off he's an easy one to mark- a good target man should be a nightmare for defenders but Williams just isn't. It's frustrating to see him in the side ahead of Smith when we all know Oliver is more likely to pose a threat.

What a load of bollox, you with a mate nah.......😂
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2019, 15:23:08 pm »

Can you suggest anyone else to start up front with non scoring Oliver
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2019, 17:06:29 pm »

What a load of bollox, you with a mate nah.......😂

Does make me laugh when he said our midfield was "class" despite the ball sailing over their heads 95% of the game!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: