The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:54:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cheltnum (h) 29/12

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheltnum (h) 29/12  (Read 4898 times)
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2019, 22:01:31 pm »

Poor first half display until the goal then there was only one team in it. First 25-30 minutes of the second half we were rampant playing aggressive front foot football and should have scored a couple and gone on to win that game. Perhaps a little too reliant on getting the long ball forward early but that's our trademark and has served us well, after all we'd won our previous 6 home games. There were still some driving runs from midfield at times and I thought Watson and Anderson had good games as did Goode and MOM Oliver. Williams unlucky with 2 or 3 decent chances. The atmosphere cranked up a couple of notches during that 25-30 minute blitz as well, it's just a pity we couldn't get that all important second goal.
Now we need to play at that high tempo from the off against Stevenage on NYD and get the 3 points.
For me, other than the first 38 minutes I was pleased with what I saw and would be happy to see more of the same. It's League Two, it's Keith Curle, it's what I'd expect.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2019, 22:05:30 pm »

Curle’s primitive tactics have been found out and nullified .
You can’t rely on bullying teams and scoring from set pieces .
I don’t think his contract will be renewed .

How I see it too and hope you're correct with that view point. I'm not sure if I can endure another season of his dire football.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
NTFC87

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Apple User Level 4
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2019, 22:22:19 pm »

Well just watched highlights and their penalty wasn't a pen initial contact was made outside the box but again we were poor better 2nd half but even that wasn't good but a points a point come the end of the season
Report Spam   Logged
super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2019, 22:31:03 pm »

That was the first time in ages that Hoskins has been subbed. He was not a happy boy...shaking his head as he walked...kicking the floor in the technical area. Looks as though he needs taking down a peg or two...
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2019, 23:01:15 pm »

That was the first time in ages that Hoskins has been subbed. He was not a happy boy...shaking his head as he walked...kicking the floor in the technical area. Looks as though he needs taking down a peg or two...

Hoskins took a lifetime to play a few decent games. Now he does sweet FA. His one attribute was his work rate. Now he's not even a trier, he might as well stay at home. Having said that. With the exception of Oliver and Cornell, they all sat back today.
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC87

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Apple User Level 4
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2019, 23:16:33 pm »

Hoskins took a lifetime to play a few decent games. Now he does sweet FA. His one attribute was his work rate. Now he's not even a trier, he might as well stay at home. Having said that. With the exception of Oliver and Cornell, they all sat back today.
cornell can't really sit back anymore unless he in the stands. Hoskins seems to be the scape goat in our team. He's created more chances than any other player in league 2 this season
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2019, 00:32:33 am »

cornell can't really sit back anymore unless he in the stands. Hoskins seems to be the scape goat in our team. He's created more chances than any other player in league 2 this season

Any chance of a source for that stat?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2019, 04:29:56 am »

I bet he missed the floor with his kick!!!

KC please start Pollock on Wednesday so we can see some football breaking out.
Report Spam   Logged
andy scouse

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2019, 06:03:34 am »

Not impressed with gamesmanship by Goode, he has a dark side to him which leaves a sour taste in the mouth .One day he will get his comeuppance,pity really because he is a winner but this cynical side to his play cannot even be glossed over as him being street wise.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2019, 06:10:56 am »

Charlie just did what any grown up would do.. gave the little one a pat on the head to remind him it is a mans game..

No, No, No, No, No.
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2019, 07:11:41 am »

How I see it too and hope you're correct with that view point. I'm not sure if I can endure another season of his dire football.
It is turgid, but without McCormack in the side I’m afraid we’ll have to get used to it. If we’re not going to win the midfield battle then tactically it seems better to bypass the midfield. No fun for the fans, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2019, 08:08:08 am »

There were very few comments on this site (ManWork & GPC excepted) about our style of play when KC was winning matches but now the wins have dried up critics have suddenly found their voices. 

Nothing much has changed throughout the KC era, it was and is boring football with the midfield largely by-passed as ball after ball is hit long and high for the centre forward or launched into space towards the goal line with no forward anywhere nearby.  Regulars (or should I say mugs?) like us keep turning up for more punishment but the gates indicate the less committed are not motivated to turn up. Yesterday bar a short period in the 2nd half when we actually passed the ball to our own side was just another episode of the same old..............   Whatever it is it is not entertainment.

Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2019, 08:57:25 am »

I've said before about the significance of McCormack to our play and it was even more obvious yesterday. It's not only what he does in breaking up the opposition's attacks, it's the way he'll often demand the ball from the defence as they gather it up. He won't often do anything clever with it, usually just a simple pass away to one of our more attacking players, but in doing so he sets things moving and adds another dimension to our play. When he's not in the side, there's no one there who wants the ball in the same way so the defence just lumps the ball forward every time they get it.

I actually quite like direct balls when they are done well and used as one of a number of attacking options - it's only when they become our only option that it becomes boring to watch and predictable to defend against.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2019, 09:53:40 am »

Well just watched highlights and their penalty wasn't a pen initial contact was made outside the box but again we were poor better 2nd half but even that wasn't good but a points a point come the end of the season
Pete Walton on Radio N, said if the ref had not given a pen, he would probably have sent Turnbull off. Agreement that the pen was a better option.
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 10:21:37 am »

Lots of negativity on here. The whole 90 minutes weren’t great, poor 35 minutes then on top for 35-40 minutes. We’re people really bored during that 25-30 minute spell of dominance in the second half? Everyone playing aggressively and committed to chasing everything down, winning the second balls and coming close to scoring on 3 or 4 occasions. The noise levels in the crowd didn’t portray boredom. I sit near the South End where we were attacking so maybe it made for a better spectical than for those at the North End.
There were spells of quietness but overall that second half was one of the most entertaining I’ve seen for a while.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2019, 10:32:44 am »

Lots of negativity on here. The whole 90 minutes weren’t great, poor 35 minutes then on top for 35-40 minutes. We’re people really bored during that 25-30 minute spell of dominance in the second half? Everyone playing aggressively and committed to chasing everything down, winning the second balls and coming close to scoring on 3 or 4 occasions. The noise levels in the crowd didn’t portray boredom. I sit near the South End where we were attacking so maybe it made for a better spectical than for those at the North End.
There were spells of quietness but overall that second half was one of the most entertaining I’ve seen for a while.
I agree mate, that’s just how bad things have got in terms of entertainment a 20 min spell of attacking and we’re happy?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2019, 11:20:29 am »

Rested! Haha! As missed by most people on Boxing Day he pulled up and signalled to the bench to come off, and was duly withdrawn after 51 minutes.

As good a player as he is, we are over reliant on someone who has appeared in fewer than half the league games so far this season. Someone who has not scored a goal but has picked up seven yellow cards.

I'd guess he's one of the highest earners at the club.....but is he giving value for money?

If you seriously believe he was rested for a game against a team in the playoff zone, but will reappear for a game against the side who are bottom of the table then good for you!

Just to add to the above, McCormack has had a scan presumably on a recurrence of the hamstring issue he had from the first game of the season, results expected later today. I tend to agree that a large percentage of our game plan seems to revolve around his (non) availability and I think he’s only completed 90 minutes once (I may be wrong on that) so isn’t really giving value for money. If he and McWilliams are out for a length of time it goes without saying that we need another defensive central midfielder - that or bring another central defender in and move Turnbull.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2019, 11:51:20 am »

There were very few comments on this site (ManWork & GPC excepted) about our style of play when KC was winning matches but now the wins have dried up critics have suddenly found their voices. 

Nothing much has changed throughout the KC era, it was and is boring football with the midfield largely by-passed as ball after ball is hit long and high for the centre forward or launched into space towards the goal line with no forward anywhere nearby.  Regulars (or should I say mugs?) like us keep turning up for more punishment but the gates indicate the less committed are not motivated to turn up. Yesterday bar a short period in the 2nd half when we actually passed the ball to our own side was just another episode of the same old..............   Whatever it is it is not entertainment.

At the end of the day I guess its a results business, and if we are getting results then plenty are happy regardless of the way we get them. When things are good on the pitch all we moan about then is whats going on off the pitch!
However, when things on the pitch don't go well then invariably the knives come out, as the good results are usually masking the underlying issue as I see it.....lack of entertainment.

Seeing as 85-90% of our fans only watch the home games then a good run like recently seems to make the majority happy, but aside from the Plymouth and Crewe games I doubt many have come away thinking we played well.

Yes, we are only 5 points off the automatic positions, and only 2 off the playoffs....but if we make either of those targets then what? We may end up getting promoted.....but does anyone think this style of play or the current personnel could cut in in the league above?

The general consensus was that Atkins teams were boring yet effective, not many look back fondly to his tenure despite the fact we got within 90 minutes of the Championship. I do think though that despite the often poor quality football on show then, fans were more "excited" than they are these days.

Still, those that turn up week in and week out, fair play to you! Its personal choice whether you're getting value for money and I won't criticise fans who chose to go every week or stay away.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2019, 12:29:58 pm »

Anybody explain why a free kick wasn’t awarded where the red card was shown?
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2019, 12:33:54 pm »

Because he immediately blew the final whistle.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: