The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 05:56:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stevenage (h) 1/1/20

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stevenage (h) 1/1/20  (Read 3732 times)
Manwork04

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2020, 21:28:53 pm »

Decent first half performance and we should have been 2,3 or 4 up at the break, chances created from early on but not taken. Oliver guilty of missing headed chances all game. Lost our way in the second half but kept plugging away. Stevenage looked useful on the ball and picked up many of the second balls to run at us with ease at times. Thankfully we had one more chance deep into injury time which Willo buried with aplomb to put us back into the play off zone.
It's not always pretty, League Two can be like that, but we're being effective at home with 6 wins and a draw in 7 now and it feels important we can pick up points without McCormack in the side.
We were playing the team at the bottom of L2 FFS, they had just as many chances including the one that a Cornell dived out of the way of that hit the bar!!!
We aren’t going anywhere this season with Curle in charge.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2020, 22:15:15 pm »

We were playing the team at the bottom of L2 FFS, they had just as many chances including the one that a Cornell dived out of the way of that hit the bar!!!

I bet you were crushed inside when that late winner went in today  Kiss Another clean sheet for big Dave. Good sub by Curle to bring on the match winner.
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2020, 23:22:27 pm »

I bet you were crushed inside when that late winner went in today  Kiss Another clean sheet for big Dave. Good sub by Curle to bring on the match winner.
Is it a coincidence that when Evers is banned you appear?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2020, 07:33:43 am »

Smith and Williams up font just doesn’t do it for me, either Smith or Williams and Oliver,
Yes it did it was a terrible decision, Curle would be taking some sh1t now if we’d lost that game.
Williams strike was sublime.I’ll take the win but I don’t get Curle obvious dislike for Williams or Pollock IMO 2 very capable strikers at this level.The goal was another  Willams poacher special  although apart from that he played OK.
Stevenage were v poor, Manowork is a dick and they are going down, took off their best player and faded badly.
A crude analysis I know, but you could argue that only in the Stevenage game has a substitution proved to be effective, whereas they cost points in three games and had no effect in the other 7 league games.
Of our wins, apart from Stevenage I don't believe the subs made any difference to the outcomes of Plymouth and Newport as we never looked in any danger, the other game where we won at Swindon he actually took off a defender and attacker (Wharton and Williams) and put two forwards on (Oliver and Waters) so far from shutting up shop in that one Grangepark is a manoworks lover,Curle is as negative a manager as I can remember...at least under Atkins there was fight.Morecambe tried to play football, knocked it around on the ground as much as they knocked it long. You just know that once we sit back and invite pressure then we will lose points, even to a team who are without a home win all season, and at the time bottom of the live table. Money talks, and if gates are so many sad old men on here who have to find fault in others opinions, so enjoy the read dickheads, consistently 500 down, that’s potentially £10k per home game in lost revenue. The boring football puts people off, coupled with poor results.
Then the question is not how much does it cost to sack him, more how much it costs to keep him.

Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2020, 08:45:01 am »

I just don't get the negativity....

When Curlio took over we were what, 22nd?

we are now in a play-off spot even if we're not the prettiest or playing at our best right now.

Is that not progress?

Some people need a serious reality check. We are not a Leeds, Wolves, Southampton or Norwich, languishing in a lower tear but with the massive potential to spring back to the top tier.

We are Northampton p0xy Town, never been big and probably never will be. Never had any proper investment (which wasn't stolen) and probably never will get any.

Unless someone buys this club and invests heavily to complete the ground and improve the squad significantly, we will always yo-yo between the bottom two tiers and hopefully never do a Chesterfield.

That's not a moan, that is reality.

We may just sneak promotion this year, you never know (though it'll be relegation again two years later) so just give yourself a shake and wake up ffs...
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2020, 09:01:35 am »

Did they have as many chances as us? The stats say otherwise:
Shots, Cobblers 22 (On target 8, ) Stevenage 15 (On target 3). The highlights on Quest’s EFL programme clearly showed our chances created but for good keeping and poor finishing we could easily have had 5 or 6.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:05:29 am by WadeyCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2020, 09:06:13 am »

we are now in a play-off spot even if we're not the prettiest or playing at our best right now.

Is that not progress?

Some people need a serious reality check. We are not a Leeds, Wolves, Southampton or Norwich, languishing in a lower tear but with the massive potential to spring back to the top tier.

We are Northampton p0xy Town, never been big and probably never will be. Never had any proper investment (which wasn't stolen) and probably never will get any.

Unless someone buys this club and invests heavily to complete the ground and improve the squad significantly, we will always yo-yo between the bottom two tiers and hopefully never do a Chesterfield.

We may just sneak promotion this year, you never know (though it'll be relegation again two years later) so just give yourself a shake and wake up ffs...
Yeah, a wins a win but like me atm I'm guessing you don't go?
If I was going and paying 24 quid a game and it's as bad as some suggest, then I might also be questioning Keith's tactics and team selections.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2020, 09:07:07 am »

Is that not progress?

I'm long since resigned to us only being a lower league side and to be honest I'm quite happy with that; there's a nice community-feel to lower league clubs that isn't there with bigger, more aloof sides. You walk in the shop and the staff know you, you walk out and bump into one of the players who's wandering back in with his lunch and they make a point of saying hello to you as they pass by. It's nice and it makes you feel a part of the club, not just a follower of it.

I'm not expecting miracles, I just want a bit of entertainment! If you go to the cinema and see a really boring film, you don't go rushing back when the sequel comes out, do you? Yes, football is a results business and 3 points makes everyone feel better about things. I was off my seat with everyone else when Willo scored yesterday, but there was precious little else to get excited about during the 90 minutes. My wife asked me if we won when I got in yesterday and I said "yeah, but it was a rubbish game again" and she replied "you always say that, I don't know why you bother going" and to be honest, I didn't have an answer.

I'm not going to stop going and I'm not calling for Curle to go either (it would be a ridiculous thing to do while we're sitting in a play off spot), I just wish he'd at least try to play some football rather than the constant hoof ball! I'm not averse to a bit of long ball stuff but it would be really nice if that was one weapon in our arsenal instead of the only weapon, because at the moment it's incredibly boring and I don't see that changing, at least until McCormack recovers from injury as when he's not there to set things rolling it's hoofball all the way.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 09:09:12 am by BackOfTheNet » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2020, 09:08:27 am »

HOW IN GODS NAME DOES HOSKINS KEEP STARTING..?

Although I'll admitt he's had a couple of poor games recently and is not always great when on the ball, he's our only forward with real pace, he makes and gets into spaces well, thus helping to open things up, he has been involved in the build-up or has assisted directly a lot of goals this season and scored more than some of our strikers too. He occasionally shows some classy touches. He generally covers back well and puts in important challenges and always works hard, very rarely wilting at any time during games. Apart from that, there's no reason at all why he should start really.
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2020, 09:11:11 am »

Is that not progress?

Well said. Reading this forum it seems there’s too many that WANT us to fail with KC in charge. Very strange. Even bemoaning that we might get promoted with this side and style of play. Very strange indeed. Let’s embrace what we are and try and enjoy the ride.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2020, 09:41:25 am »

including the one that Cornell dived out of the way of that hit the bar!!!
😂😂😂 Pack it in Manny, half my tea just went down my nose, the other half in the wife’s face!
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2020, 11:23:21 am »

A strange game without much quality, at times we appeared to perfect the art of the over hit through ball or the misplaced pass, yet we could have run out easy winners.
As the game went on transformed from it's only a matter of time until we score to a feeling that it was just not going to happen. As against Cheltenham Cornell's goal was rarely threatened and you could see why Stevenage have scored so few, I must have missed the many chances others think they had.
Mr Kettle did not disappoint adding another 8 yellow cards to his collection, he is beginning to offer a real challenge to Charles Breakspeare. However, he was very fair by giving 4 to each team and we continue to pick up needless bookings, none more so than Hoskins who got his 6th of the season and he still has not made a serious tackle, most for stupidly pulling back an opposition player.
Credit to KC for the half time substitutions although I was surprised that Williams was not in the starting 11. Also thought that Lines had a decent 2nd half and that Hoskins is not as effective through the middle as out wide. Given our recent injuries KC does not have too many options and it will be interesting to see who we bring in during the transfer window.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2020, 09:40:17 am »

Watched the highlights which were a very strange edit...

I read someone say we could have been 4 up by half time yet the only first half highlight was them hitting the bar. Oh apart from the opening passage of play shown which I found quite weird, just one of their players scooping the ball over the defence to noone. How is that a highlight?
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2020, 09:57:35 am »

Watched the highlights which were a very strange edit...

I read someone say we could have been 4 up by half time yet the only first half highlight was them hitting the bar. Oh apart from the opening passage of play shown which I found quite weird, just one of their players scooping the ball over the defence to noone. How is that a highlight?

Yeah, those highlights are weird. We had chances in the first half and forced their keeper into saves, but they chose that clip as the opening 'highlight'?
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2020, 10:01:08 am »

Is it a coincidence that when Evers is banned you appear?  Grin
No posts from Evers since 27th December, hope the old boy is alright?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2020, 10:26:28 am »

Anyone else think the pitch has deteriorated this season? Very bobbly, used to be like a bowling green.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2020, 10:49:21 am »

Anyone else think the pitch has deteriorated this season? Very bobbly, used to be like a bowling green.

Curle has the players training on it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2020, 21:38:31 pm »

Curle has the players training on it.

The middle 3rd should be like a green at Sunningdale
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04