The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 19:30:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Derby County (h) FA Cup Fourth Round - 24 Jan 2020

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Derby County (h) FA Cup Fourth Round - 24 Jan 2020  (Read 10157 times)
Hallsy02

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2020, 12:08:31 pm »

Quite an interesting couple of weeks. Only one  punter  got selection right others like me way off beam. As for the game I don't subscribe to Clarkies views. He and others seem to be influenced by personal views of players. To describe Goode as an animal is not an accurate record of that magnificent performance; he did not injure, hurt or maim any body? As a whole the team performed well as a unit, particularly the back 5.
Hoskins didn't disappoint at all - his performance typified his abilities. He defended well, two lung bursting runs followed by disappointing outcome so what's new? I prefer to praise or criticize what I see on the day not allow hindsight to gain too much of an influence.

Have to agree with you there
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2020, 12:11:53 pm »

Quite an interesting couple of weeks. Only one  punter  got selection right others like me way off beam. As for the game I don't subscribe to Clarkies views. He and others seem to be influenced by personal views of players. To describe Goode as an animal is not an accurate record of that magnificent performance; he did not injure, hurt or maim any body? As a whole the team performed well as a unit, particularly the back 5.
Hoskins didn't disappoint at all - his performance typified his abilities. He defended well, two lung bursting runs followed by disappointing outcome so what's new? I prefer to praise or criticize what I see on the day not allow hindsight to gain too much of an influence.
We would not be taking about Goodes magnificent MOTM performance had the puppetmaster rightly sent him off would we?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2020, 12:16:58 pm »

We would not be taking about Goodes magnificent MOTM performance had the puppetmaster rightly sent him off would we?

But he didn't did he so your comments are lost in a sea of conjecture.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest48

« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2020, 12:19:13 pm »

Very true, but we have been on the receiving end of quite a few poor refereeing decisions this season, about time something went our way
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:01 pm »

How could the referee send him off if it was not a foul - they were not awarded a free kick. Referee must have seen it as a coming together of 2 players on different paths.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2020, 12:44:31 pm »

Evers, in the context used the term 'animal' means he was superb, similar to when somebody might describe a defender as being a 'beast' or a 'monster'. In short you might say it means he was 'unplayable' and dominated the back line.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2020, 12:55:59 pm »

But he didn't did he so your comments are lost in a sea of conjecture.
Would you have lunged in like that Evers back in the day, (you old nonagenerian you Wink), knowing that most likely it would lead to yourself the team captain being sent from the field of play?

Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2020, 12:56:45 pm »

Very try, but we have been on the receiving end of quite a few poor refereeing decisions this season, about time something went our way
Quite right!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2020, 14:26:07 pm »

Very true, but we have been on the receiving end of quite a few poor refereeing decisions this season, about time something went our way

Surprised that the one at Leyton last Tuesday was balanced so quickly by the decision on Friday, PGMOL must be well on the ball... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2020, 14:47:01 pm »

Evers, in the context used the term 'animal' means he was superb, similar to when somebody might describe a defender as being a 'beast' or a 'monster'. In short you might say it means he was 'unplayable' and dominated the back line.

Yes I know all that and am sure Clarkie meant it as a compliment....but his choice of 'animal' as an adjective and also your choices are hardly apt. Have you ether heard a football commentator use those words to describe a player performance? It is my opinion and is solely based on a professional performance by Goode and does not deserve the epitaph of animal - he never hurt anybody on the day.

ps so there!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 14:58:01 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2020, 14:53:33 pm »

Would you have lunged in like that Evers back in the day, (you old nonagenerian you Wink), knowing that most likely it would lead to yourself the team captain being sent from the field of play?

Not advisable for me to prolong conjectural subjects.
Report Spam   Logged

ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2020, 15:07:03 pm »

Yes I know all that and am sure Clarkie meant it as a compliment....but his choice of 'animal' as an adjective and also your choices are hardly apt. Have you ether heard a football commentator use those words to describe a player performance? It is my opinion and is solely based on a professional performance by Goode and does not deserve the epitaph of animal - he never hurt anybody on the day.

Yes, they are used quite commonly.

Just some quickly searched for examples used by other players as well:

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2020/01/20/roy-keanes-brilliant-description-of-beast-of-a-man-virgil-van-dijk/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7552431/Football-news-Tammy-Abraham-admits-Virgil-van-Dijk-toughest-defender-faced.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8629724/maradona-ronaldo-animal-messi-juventus/

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2020, 15:41:36 pm »

Applaud your choice  of mediums Roll Eyes I was referring to ITV, BBC and such like media platforms. As for the Sun and Daily Mail; wow thanks for that!
Report Spam   Logged

clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2020, 15:45:34 pm »

Good grief  Huh? Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2020, 15:52:44 pm »

Applaud your choice  of mediums Roll Eyes I was referring to ITV, BBC and such like media platforms. As for the Sun and Daily Mail; wow thanks for that!

Undecided

I searched for 1-2 minutes. Those papers are only quoting players, it's irrelevant what papers they are. Roy Keane, Tammy Abraham and Maradona have all used such terms as a big compliment. Maradona's quote was from one all time great to another all time great, I'm doubtful Ronaldo took it as an insulting description.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2020, 16:01:11 pm »

Undecided

I searched for 1-2 minutes. Those papers are only quoting players, it's irrelevant what papers they are. Roy Keane, Tammy Abraham and Maradona have all used such terms as a big compliment. Maradona's quote was from one all time great to another all time great, I'm doubtful Ronaldo took it as an insulting description.

Yep u r right Wink  end of
Report Spam   Logged

guest3338

« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2020, 16:31:02 pm »

Undecided

Although the connotation can quickly change.
I remember reading a MOTM post on here from quite a well respected member who has since left the site, (after ironically, a PC related spat with Manwork) who voted for Aaron Pierre and then described him as 'the intelligent beast'.
I immediately thought at the time that might not be taken by some as a compliment.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2020, 16:37:54 pm »

Although the connotation can quickly change.
I remember reading a MOTM post on here from quite a well respected member who has since left the site, (after ironically, a PC related spat with Manwork) who voted for Aaron Pierre and then described him as 'the intelligent beast'.
I immediately thought at the time that might not be taken by some as a compliment.

love it don't you!
Report Spam   Logged

Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2020, 18:50:18 pm »

So many draws this round. No chance of being selected unfortunately.

Pierre played well for Shrewsbury. They look too good to be where they are in L1.

Not surprising Pierre played well. He showed what a good player he is with us last year. Easily good enough for L1 and maybe higher. Much though I like all 3 of our current central defenders, I rate Pierre more than any of them.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2020, 19:07:47 pm »

Not surprising Pierre played well. He showed what a good player he is with us last year. Easily good enough for L1 and maybe higher. Much though I like all 3 of our current central defenders, I rate Pierre more than any of them.
[/quote

Much though I liked Pierre, I rate all of our 3 current central defenders more than him.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: