The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 10:50:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Orient Tuesday night

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orient Tuesday night  (Read 6503 times)
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2020, 08:05:21 am »

Very disappointing result last night. After the first ten minutes of both sides generally booting the ball from end to end, Cobblers settled down and took control of the game. We created enough chances to put the game to bed at HT, but going in 1-0 up we looked very comfortable, when we pressed them they made silly errors and they couldn't cope with the pace we had.

Second half continued in a similar vein, then after 65 minutes we stopped playing, stopped closing them down and gave them time and space on the ball, the equaliser was coming.

The penalty... There's probably a nudge in the back, but why on earth has Wharton thrown his arms in the air, he's given the ref the option and for me it's a penalty. The ensuing mele afterwards, again why has Wharton got involved in trying to wrestle the ball from their player. The niggly side to our game appeared to have wound us up more than them.

As poor as the referee was, questions need to be asked of our players, tactics and strange substitutios. They were there for the taking yet we handed them a draw on a plate in that last 25 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2020, 08:34:35 am »

Had a day at work staring out of the window contemplating the game. IMO the crucial factor was the first 10-15 minutes of the second half. For me it appeared the half time chat on our side was “more of the same”? However, it was obvious that Orient were going to get a change of formation and get a rocket. What we needed to do was to raise our intensity and press every Orient player the second they got the ball for the first 10 minutes or so and take the sting out of their strategy. Because we didn’t do that, they grew in confidence and belief and the whole momentum of the game shifted. Easy to say in hindsight but nevertheless that’s what happened in my view. The substitutions were ineffective and if anything seemed to remove even more of our energy. In particular Martin for Anderson. I don’t want to jump on the Martin bashing band wagon but we missed Anderson’s energy in the middle of the Park after he went off?”. What we actually needed was Hoskins and Anderson running around being a real nuisance, if only just to get in the way. On the plus side though it shows how far we have come when we are bemoaning the fact we “only” got a point away from home?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2020, 08:44:33 am »

Orient were absolutely atrocious first half, and we should have been at least 2 up at half time. I don't think they'd have come back from that. How Warburton didn't score the 1 on 1 in the first 10 mins I don't know.

Second half we became completely passive, stopped pinning them in and ended up defending our own 6 yard line for the last 15 mins or so. Result being ball after ball coming in to the box and inevitably something would happen, which it did with the penalty.

Refereeing was far from ideal but a top 3 team would be having that bit of extra quality to see the game out.
Report Spam   Logged
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:41 am »

Having watched the highlights several times I am convinced that if VAR had been involved it would have resulted in a free kick to the Cobblers, Wharton was clearly pushed. Where's Peter Walton when you want him?
Report Spam   Logged
bwills

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2020, 09:22:42 am »

The team even got a mention on  R4's today,  cant imagine that happens very often. And again on Saturday morning 🤞
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2020, 09:48:43 am »

Given the way the game went I think it’s two points dropped unfortunately. We dominated the first half and had we gone in 2 or 3 up I don’t think they could have had many complaints. Last half an hour we did what we always do away from home when he have a lead. You know that away from home there will be a spell where the home side put you under some pressure but I thought for the most part we defended well. It’s probably a sign of how far we’ve come as a team that I’m disappointed with just the point. I think given how much we dominated the first half and then conceded to a dodgy pen with 5 to go, the lads (particularly Wharton) will probably feel like this was a good opportunity missed.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2020, 09:49:32 am »

Orient were absolutely atrocious first half, and we should have been at least 2 up at half time. I don't think they'd have come back from that. How Warburton didn't score the 1 on 1 in the first 10 mins I don't know.

Second half we became completely passive, stopped pinning them in and ended up defending our own 6 yard line for the last 15 mins or so. Result being ball after ball coming in to the box and inevitably something would happen, which it did with the penalty.

Refereeing was far from ideal but a top 3 team would be having that bit of extra quality to see the game out.

Top 3 is going to be a big ask, but it's great to be able to say that we are still 'in' with a shout.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2020, 09:50:19 am »

Having watched the highlights several times I am convinced that if VAR had been involved it would have resulted in a free kick to the Cobblers, Wharton was clearly pushed. Where's Peter Walton when you want him?

Without a doubt.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2020, 09:51:38 am »

Glad the last few posts have seen people without the claret tinted specs on! Yes, it may have been a foul, but it would have been a soft foul, the kind that we'd have been miffed about had we been the attacking side and it was given. Football is a contact sport, not every little nudge is a foul and perhaps players are too guilty of looking for everything and anything, when in fact they should just get on with it.
At the end of the day these things even themselves out, and there have been times, and will be again where we get the rub of the green, that's football.

We should have been out of sight at half time, but we allowed them to control the second half and paid the price, which could have easily been greater had Cornell not made a couple of decent saves after the equaliser.

Its a point, could have been three, could have been none! On to the next game.

No point appealing the red card, pretty conclusive to me, Wharton trying to stop their player from running back to the centre circle with the ball by rugby tackling him round the neck. Why get involved? Why not just let their player put the ball on the spot and take your time to set up properly before taking the kickoff?

A little too much niggly timewasting, play acting, "professionalism" from our team......I don't subscribe to the fact that its ok because everyone does it! We should rise above petty crap like that, we're better than that...aren't we?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2020, 10:04:08 am »

which is possibly why we arent yet a top 3 team and are searching for that extra bit of quality.

in which case its good we are so close with what we currently have.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:19 am »

Glad the last few posts have seen people without the claret tinted specs on! Yes, it may have been a foul, but it would have been a soft foul, the kind that we'd have been miffed about had we been the attacking side and it was given. Football is a contact sport, not every little nudge is a foul and perhaps players are too guilty of looking for everything and anything, when in fact they should just get on with it.
At the end of the day these things even themselves out, and there have been times, and will be again where we get the rub of the green, that's football.

We should have been out of sight at half time, but we allowed them to control the second half and paid the price, which could have easily been greater had Cornell not made a couple of decent saves after the equaliser.

Its a point, could have been three, could have been none! On to the next game.

No point appealing the red card, pretty conclusive to me, Wharton trying to stop their player from running back to the centre circle with the ball by rugby tackling him round the neck. Why get involved? Why not just let their player put the ball on the spot and take your time to set up properly before taking the kickoff?

A little too much niggly timewasting, play acting, "professionalism" from our team......I don't subscribe to the fact that its ok because everyone does it! We should rise above petty crap like that, we're better than that...aren't we?

Some smug nonsense spouted here.

It was a foul on Wharton, absolutely no doubt about it. The Orient player clearly deliberately steps into Wharton, he makes no attempt to jump for the ball. This knocks Wharton off balance which causes him to reflexively put his hands up in the air. This isn't 'just a nudge' or a 'soft foul' as Wharton was in mid-air and the 'nudge' from their player was deliberate to knock him off balance. It could even be classed as dangerous play and it should have resulted in at least a booking.

I guess you think a little trip or a shirt pull when a player is on the break is a 'soft foul' as football is a 'contact sport' too? Simply nonsense.

And to say Wharton 'rugby tackled their player' is also ridiculous. Where's the evidence of this 'rugby tackle'? Wharton was sent off for 'violent conduct'. Where's the violent conduct? It was two players tussling for the ball after a goal, happens all the time in games when there's a lot at stake and the clock's running down and rarely results in a sending off.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:16:59 am by ClarenceInDefence » Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2020, 10:27:08 am »

Perhaps our "professionalism" goes against us sometimes!
I know what you're saying, but if Anderson had have stayed down, rolling about clutching his leg, I recon their guy would have seen red at the end of the first. It was an horrendous tackle, he gets a yellow and Wharton and there other guy get reds for a bit of "handbags", pushing and shuffing will never seriously injure someone but that tackle could have easily resulted in a serious injury
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2020, 10:37:31 am »

I'm not sure what Wharton was looking at gaining by trying to get it off him, but in doing so they ended up on the ground and the handbags started. It was absolutely ridiculous, he's got himself sent off and a three match ban, both of which were totally avoidable.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2020, 10:43:23 am »

Some smug nonsense spouted here.

It was a foul on Wharton, absolutely no doubt about it. The Orient player clearly deliberately steps into Wharton, he makes no attempt to jump for the ball. This knocks Wharton off balance which causes him to reflexively put his hands up in the air. This isn't 'just a nudge' or a 'soft foul' as Wharton was in mid-air and the 'nudge' from their player was deliberate to knock him off balance. It could even be classed as dangerous play and it should have resulted in at least a booking.

I guess you think a little trip or a shirt pull when a player is on the break is a 'soft foul' as football is a 'contact sport' too? Simply nonsense.

And to say Wharton 'rugby tackled their player' is also ridiculous. Where's the evidence of this 'rugby tackle'? Wharton was sent off for 'violent conduct'. Where's the violent conduct? It was two players tussling for the ball after a goal, happens all the time in games when there's a lot at stake and the clock's running down and rarely results in a sending off.

It wasn't a foul because it wasn't given. We can talk about the merits of it all day, the fact is the referee blew for the obvious handball which resulted from the less than obvious (to him and his assistant at least) push in the back.
Our defenders do the same, everyone does it, don't kid yourself otherwise. One minute everyone is berating VAR, the next its "if we had VAR it would have been disallowed"...…..assuming of course that the VAR official had been of the same opinion as the Cobblers fans.

Reference the little trip or shirt pull as being football...not at all, i'd call it cheating because that's what it is.

As for the handbags....have you seen the video footage of the melee and how it started? There is a shortcut to it earlier in this thread.

If Wharton had not done what he did to their player there would have been no melee….if the ref had spotted the foul there would have been no penalty and then no melee......and on and on. We can only go on what happened and what was given.

Like I said, there will be other times we get the rub of the green...….move on, get over it, learn from it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:45:11 am by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2020, 10:55:57 am »

Thks -
 Mr Wig giving it large on the incident.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2020, 12:29:12 pm »

I know what you're saying, but if Anderson had have stayed down, rolling about clutching his leg, I recon their guy would have seen red at the end of the first. It was an horrendous tackle, he gets a yellow and Wharton and there other guy get reds for a bit of "handbags", pushing and shuffing will never seriously injure someone but that tackle could have easily resulted in a serious injury

Exactly.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2020, 12:44:07 pm »

I think if the pen wasn’t given for us, we would all be absolutely fuming.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2020, 12:50:09 pm »

It wasn't a foul because it wasn't given. We can talk about the merits of it all day, the fact is the referee blew for the obvious handball which resulted from the less than obvious (to him and his assistant at least) push in the back.
Our defenders do the same, everyone does it, don't kid yourself otherwise. One minute everyone is berating VAR, the next its "if we had VAR it would have been disallowed"...…..assuming of course that the VAR official had been of the same opinion as the Cobblers fans.

Reference the little trip or shirt pull as being football...not at all, i'd call it cheating because that's what it is.

As for the handbags....have you seen the video footage of the melee and how it started? There is a shortcut to it earlier in this thread.

If Wharton had not done what he did to their player there would have been no melee….if the ref had spotted the foul there would have been no penalty and then no melee......and on and on. We can only go on what happened and what was given.

Like I said, there will be other times we get the rub of the green...….move on, get over it, learn from it.

Yes, I've seen it the incident, I watched game on Ifollow as well. It's not a 'rugby tackle' by Wharton. Handbags by both players, if their player hadn't gone done like he'd dislocated his collar bone and their players hadn't piled in as a result, both players would have received a booking at most.

Mentioning 'if VAR was in use' is only to illustrate how the decision is wrong, it isn't 'calling for VAR'. Not everyone berates VAR either, I certainly don't though it the way it's implemented needs refining.

Regardless of the decision I thought the draw fairly reflected the game anyway, I said originally it was like a game of two halves.

Finally, this is the match thread, if we took your attitude we may as well not bother with the forum at all.....

'.....move on, get over it, learn from it.'

As I said previously, you come across very smug and patronising.

'We can only go........on what was given'.

Yes, the common refrain of the football fan! Give me a f***ing break.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2020, 13:10:01 pm »

Fair enough, its all about opinions! I'll respect yours!

The move on, get over it, learn from it was not aimed at you....more the team! In the hope that Wharton will not allow himself to get sucked into a similar incident in the future.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2020, 13:14:39 pm »

.....................................Finally, this is the match thread, if we took your attitude we may as well not bother with the forum at all.....

'.....move on, get over it, learn from it.'

As I said previously, you come across very smug and patronising.

'We can only go........on what was given'.

Yes, the common refrain of the football fan! Give me a **** break.

Giving it both barrels here Clarence; appreciate your attitude though! I watched it on iFollow too and to me its not a reliable medium to base facts on. However it was a definite foul on Wharton IMO , for me the ref bottled it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 13:16:49 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: