The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:48:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Your matchday experience

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your matchday experience  (Read 2281 times)
lordjord

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 04, 2020, 12:32:35 pm »

To save derailing the Derby thread I just wanted to get some opinions from people who want different things from a game day.

Up until last year I had a season ticket at the back of the West Stand towards the away fans (commitments mean I cant get there every week now sadly). This year when I have been to games I have sat in all different areas of the West Stand, in each seat I get a noticeably different experience. For whatever reason once you get past the first two blocks of the west stand people tend not to sing along with the songs or even clap along to them. That is in no way a criticism, just an observation.

Its noticeable when the corner of the west and the north stand are not singing, there is generally just silence throughout the home areas.

I personally really enjoy the singing element etc, I do also think it helps push on the team. I also prefer to stand but this is not a safe standing debate.

I am more so curious about what it is that others who sit around the ground want from a game day. We all want our team to win, that goes without saying.

But I mean when you are there, do you want to sit and discuss the game with those around you? Do you just want to focus on the game itself? Does the atmosphere around the ground bother you at all either way?

Genuinely curious!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 12:51:08 pm »

I sit around the middle of the West and it's pretty quiet, which suits me. While we might have a bit of a chat about specific incidents, I generally just focus on the game so we aren't chatting non stop. Some people are though, usually the ones who you haven't seen before and probably won't see again!

In terms of the atmosphere, there have been occasions where Sixfields is absolutely bouncing and it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Those have invariably been special occasions though such as cup ties or play off games (with the pinnacle being *that* Bristol Rovers second leg). If every game could be like that it would be brilliant, but the reality is it won't be, as I can't think of any lower league grounds I've visited that have generated that type of intensity for a normal league game. Actually, the more I think about it, I'm not sure I'd really want all games to feel like that because it would devalue the big matches!

So, since not every game will be jumping, I just enjoy sitting back (with the emphasis on "sitting") and enjoying the game.

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 13:19:07 pm »

The singing and atmosphere are a huge part of it for me.

I know most don't but I feel the fans are part of the effort and part to play in lifting the team and making the opposition nervous. It's a chicken and egg situation regarding the atmosphere, but personally I think the fans have a duty to try and kick start the team.

Some of the most enjoyable times I have had at Sixfields is when we are teetering on the edge of exiting the football league and the ground has been an absolute cauldron of noise.

Report Spam   Logged

Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 13:20:08 pm »

Crappy away followings has a big effect on atmosphere.

An away crowd with a bit of life, some dubious decisions and bad tackles always picks things up a bit.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 14:21:07 pm »

I have been sat with the same bunch for some years now. Some of those around me from the days of the HE.

I like it when it's a good atmosphere. I don't mind how loud it gets and even to a degree I don't mind a bit of lively banter. I think the games really drag when there's either nothing to generate a decent atmosphere, or there doesn't seem to be a willingness to get into it by the support.

I listened to a very very interesting conversation on talk sport this morning where Simon Jordan was being asked about the usefulness of supporters protesting, or making a fuss about things at clubs. I would really urge people to listen to it. The reason I mentioned it, is because it touched quite heavily on the sense of entitlement that supporters have about a club. I come from an era where our role as supporters was influenced only by family, friends, where we lived, or was born, newspapers, or what we saw on the pitch. I'm a massively believe in being primarily a supporter of the club and the team. I genuinely feel that many supporters have wandered into a world beyond their concern, or their business, and feel that they are duty bound to be holding players, managers and owners feet to the fire all the time. I encounter as much conversation (at any ground, including premier grounds) about football finances and management of the club at half time, as I do about the actual game. I also find that social media is riddled with a similar sense of entitlement. A sense of entitlement that would not be leveled at any other business.

So.. In terms of the game day experience. I think for some, it is impossible for them to take the experience at face value. Losing a sense of the reason why we should attend games. As I have said repeatedly. It is my time, supporting a club that I love. Where I can undergo irrational expectations and thoughts, with no more evidence to sustain my belief in NTFC than sheer devotion and blind optimism. I still love game days. Because I haven't over complicated it. I still love it.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 14:38:17 pm »

Arrive at the ground at 2.45pm most Saturday home games, programme and a hot drink. Sit in row T of the West towards the home dugout.

Would much prefer to stand on a terrace and enjoy the atmosphere that brings but since that's not possible I take the best view I can.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 14:52:10 pm »

I have been sat with the same bunch for some years now. Some of those around me from the days of the HE.

I like it when it's a good atmosphere. I don't mind how loud it gets and even to a degree I don't mind a bit of lively banter. I think the games really drag when there's either nothing to generate a decent atmosphere, or there doesn't seem to be a willingness to get into it by the support.

I listened to a very very interesting conversation on talk sport this morning where Simon Jordan was being asked about the usefulness of supporters protesting, or making a fuss about things at clubs. I would really urge people to listen to it. The reason I mentioned it, is because it touched quite heavily on the sense of entitlement that supporters have about a club. I come from an era where our role as supporters was influenced only by family, friends, where we lived, or was born, newspapers, or what we saw on the pitch. I'm a massively believe in being primarily a supporter of the club and the team. I genuinely feel that many supporters have wandered into a world beyond their concern, or their business, and feel that they are duty bound to be holding players, managers and owners feet to the fire all the time. I encounter as much conversation (at any ground, including premier grounds) about football finances and management of the club at half time, as I do about the actual game. I also find that social media is riddled with a similar sense of entitlement. A sense of entitlement that would not be leveled at any other business.

So.. In terms of the game day experience. I think for some, it is impossible for them to take the experience at face value. Losing a sense of the reason why we should attend games. As I have said repeatedly. It is my time, supporting a club that I love. Where I can undergo irrational expectations and thoughts, with no more evidence to sustain my belief in NTFC than sheer devotion and blind optimism. I still love game days. Because I haven't over complicated it. I still love it.

Good points and just to add another element from my experience - with close on 50 years of supporting there was a period a few years ago when I was much closer to the players, management and staff - to be honest it really wasn't the best time as a supporter - I much prefer to be at arms length - love the art not the artist as they say. So many people now seem to have that curious sense of entitlement that goes way beyond buying a ticket for the game. Cheer, sing, clap or boo on match day according to your whim, get caught up with the passion on special occasions but as you say don't complicate it but by all means love it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 07:21:25 am »

Atmosphere is important and I like to be close to it but not in it any more. Close enough to sing when I choose and im not the only one in a quiet part of the crowd, but far enough away not to sing if i dont want to and not loo out of place. Sort of in the singing section suburbs.
But first and foremost I go to watch a game of football, forget about the real world and enjoy myself for a couple of hours (as much as is possible being a Cobblers fan). I dont go to look at the away fans and make jestures to them. Two lads near me were so intent on waving at the away fans they missed our first goal. Im not critising, they may post on here saying they enjoy that side but its not for me.
One thing I hate, and dont want at sixfields is a f****g drum. As the song mentions, we have some brilliant fans and we dont need a drum.
Oh and before the game a beer with the old man, especially when its his round
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:18:00 am »

Very good article ; calls  into question the attitude
of a few on here! 
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 09:26:27 am »

Surely there has to be some sort of accountability going on, say for example we end up in a Cardoza position again?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 10:07:55 am »

Surely there has to be some sort of accountability going on, say for example we end up in a Cardoza position again?

Use the Trust to galvanise efforts!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 10:55:44 am »

Use the Trust to galvanise efforts!

Worked splendidly last time. Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 11:21:27 am »

Whatever any of us think about the running of the club off the pitch, matchday should be a day to forget all that, cheer on the team and remember why we fell in love with the Cobblers in the first place. I don't really get the boycotters (but it's their choice), to me football is about being there and the reaction of the fans to "22 idiots chasing a ball".
I used to sit in the lower mid west stand, near the away dugout, very little singing or chanting but lots of individual shouts, some amusing, some abusive. I now sit upper south west corner, lots of singing, lots of chanting, some amusing , some abusive. You can often tell when it's a dull game because the chants about paedos  and Barry Fry start up! I will happily clap or sing at times and I love it when most of the ground joins in, at times the atmosphere is actually quite moving. People can enjoy watching football in different ways, on matchday forget all the politics, enjoy the game.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 11:35:14 am »

Dont disagree with you on your main points...

However, I wouldn't take much notice of what Simon Jordan thinks. Didn't he take Palace into administration and almost bankrupt them?!
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 15:25:34 pm »

I dont go to look at the away fans and make jestures to them. Two lads near me were so intent on waving at the away fans they missed our first goal. Im not critising, they may post on here saying they enjoy that side but its not for me.

I think every fan base has their young fans that have seen Greenstreet a few too many times.

I join in with most of the singing but certain songs/chants make me cringe.
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2020, 16:09:05 pm »

Dont disagree with you on your main points...

However, I wouldn't take much notice of what Simon Jordan thinks. Didn't he take Palace into administration and almost bankrupt them?!

I'm not attributing any significant credence to Jordan mate, but your point could made about most of the owners operating currently. The point he made has been echoed by many well respected owners as well.

Report Spam   Logged
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 08:20:24 am »

My Matchday experience is probably similar to many, season ticket holder in West Stand Upper just to the South Stand Side of centre. I just go to enjoy a good day out and meet up with mates and forget about all the other crap I have to put up with in daily life, and I am enjoying it much more this season than the last couple. My language has certainly been a lot better as though who sit round me can testify to! Typical matchday is picking up a couple of mates getting in the Tull and having something to east and drink and putting the world to rights before going to the game, sometimes join in with the singing but certainly love it when something controversial happens on the pitch. As for the ground and the Chairman, it would be nice to see the East Stand done, but only if it is knocked down and done properly and Kelvin Thomas, in my opinion, apart from not sorting the stand out has done okay. We could certainly be in a much worse position than we are.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 13:39:50 pm »

Not a criticism or real point being made, but concerning the fans straying into the self entitlement zone, can or could never have been worse than the ridiculous antics in Italy (Argentina too) by the ultras...dictating away ticket allocations (not amount but who gets) turning up en masse at training to attack/abuse players etc.

We get Beds standing on the hill!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 13:42:36 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 13:46:06 pm »

Whatever any of us think about the running of the club off the pitch, matchday should be a day to forget all that, cheer on the team and remember why we fell in love with the Cobblers in the first place. I don't really get the boycotters (but it's their choice), to me football is about being there and the reaction of the fans to "22 idiots chasing a ball".
I used to sit in the lower mid west stand, near the away dugout, very little singing or chanting but lots of individual shouts, some amusing, some abusive. I now sit upper south west corner, lots of singing, lots of chanting, some amusing , some abusive. You can often tell when it's a dull game because the chants about paedos  and Barry Fry start up! I will happily clap or sing at times and I love it when most of the ground joins in, at times the atmosphere is actually quite moving. People can enjoy watching football in different ways, on matchday forget all the politics, enjoy the game.
Never fell in love with the Cobblers...it was an arranged marriage!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 15:41:33 pm »

Not a criticism or real point being made, but concerning the fans straying into the self entitlement zone, can or could never have been worse than the ridiculous antics in Italy (Argentina too) by the ultras...dictating away ticket allocations (not amount but who gets) turning up en masse at training to attack/abuse players etc.

We get Beds standing on the hill!  Grin

Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: