The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:27:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Port Vale (H) Sat 8th Feb

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Port Vale (H) Sat 8th Feb  (Read 6995 times)
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2020, 14:42:57 pm »

Very one dimensional today and the trouble with this type of percentage football is that sometimes the ball doesn't drop for you.

Sometimes yes, but the whole point of percentage football is that you're more likely to create more chances using it. It means that from time to tome you'll have days like yesterday, when you have 70% of the chances and lose the match, but while those games are the exception not the rule, then I'll take percentage football. Not the prettiest, but certainly more effective than our other attempted ways to get results in the last few years. Perhaps the best thing is neither to get too carried away when it works nor too critical when it doesn't. Didn't see today's game but the stats suggest is wasn't dissimilar in terms of chances to others that we've won comfortably.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2020, 16:09:26 pm »

Sometimes yes, but the whole point of percentage football is that you're more likely to create more chances using it. It means that from time to tome you'll have days like yesterday, when you have 70% of the chances and lose the match, but while those games are the exception not the rule, then I'll take percentage football. Not the prettiest, but certainly more effective than our other attempted ways to get results in the last few years. Perhaps the best thing is neither to get too carried away when it works nor too critical when it doesn't. Didn't see today's game but the stats suggest is wasn't dissimilar in terms of chances to others that we've won comfortably.

You've pretty well explained what I was trying to say. I just thought we could have occasionally changed the angle or played whipped crosses in behind a defence that coped so well with our big high balls.
Report Spam   Logged
claretarmy

View Profile
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2020, 17:18:44 pm »

KC has said a few times that Plan B is to more of Plan A.

When interviewed on BT Sport before the Derby game, KC was asked what Plan C is. He responded by saying he hasn't got to Plan C as of yet.

Northampton had enough chances to take the lead, but unfortunately Port Vale managed to take one of the few chances they created (poor goal all round from our pov).

Vale's centre backs relished the balls coming into the box - we have to give them some credit for that and the heroics of their keeper.

I along with quite a few on here felt that we should have tried something a little bit didn't rather than playing long balls to the target man but it was horrible conditions to play in.

Hopefully a win on Tuesday to keep the momentum. COYC!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2020, 17:44:42 pm »

We deserved to beat them yes, but we didn't outplay them.

IMO we did. If you go 1-4 away then we have outplayed them. Witness their consolation 2nd goal; for them it was lost cause and it showed. Happened to us at Derby!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2020, 18:41:08 pm »

To say we outplayed Burton might be a bit hyperbolic, but we were the definitely the better team over the 90 and fully deserved the win. The Derby game at home was pretty even, but if any side should have edged a victory it was us.

Agree except to say that by being "definitely the better team over the 90" must mean we outplayed them. I can't think of another criteria that would make us better. Prettier perhaps? Probably not.
Also agree about the Derby game and if we should have edged a victory we must have outplayed them too. Not by much, but enough to qualify as the better team on the day.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2020, 19:02:08 pm »

Agree except to say that by being "definitely the better team over the 90" must mean we outplayed them. I can't think of another criteria that would make us better. Prettier perhaps? Probably not.
Also agree about the Derby game and if we should have edged a victory we must have outplayed them too. Not by much, but enough to qualify as the better team on the day.

This.
Report Spam   Logged
Squirrel

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2020, 19:41:00 pm »

I'm a Leicester season ticket holder but due to our frustrating mid-season break decided to bring my son to Sixfields yesterday to get our football fix at a fairly local match.
First time I've been having not been able to make our meeting in League 1.

Thought you definitely should have won although Vale did have a good few chances themselves, especially Worrall who put one wide early on.

Your football was pretty one dimensional and seemed to lack a few ideas at times, I was getting frustrated watching it so can imagine you are.
 Have to admit knew very little about your squad other than our former player Nicky Adams.

Jones and Goode impressed me in defence and thought Adams himself had a decent game. The best player in my eyes was Marshall who seemed to be the only one capable of making things happen.

Overall enjoyed the day and half tempted to come along for the Swindon match.
Report Spam   Logged
Squirrel

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2020, 19:50:26 pm »

Forgot to mention. The referee was one of the worst I have ever seen. Totally clueless as though he had just been picked out of the stands.

The Premier League refs are atrocious but this one was another level.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2020, 19:53:12 pm »

IMO we did. If you go 1-4 away then we have outplayed them. Witness their consolation 2nd goal; for them it was lost cause and it showed. Happened to us at Derby!

That's your problem, judging a performance by the result.
It's like many on here being satisfied by the performance when winning but not with the same performance when we have lost.
Derby outplayed and were in control throughout, we were not in control of the game at Burton. They kept the ball for long periods, had more chances but failed to convert them. That isn't outplaying a team.
But you obviously have a different interpretation of the term...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2020, 20:36:46 pm »

Forgot to mention. The referee was one of the worst I have ever seen. Totally clueless as though he had just been picked out of the stands.

Welcome to the "Hotel End".

Great that you came to watch.  Such a shame you didn't see us convert some of our chances.  Goals make all the difference - regardless of the level of football.

It would be great if you came and joined us again, and helped us celebrate victory!
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2020, 20:38:15 pm »

That's your problem, judging a performance by the result.
It's like many on here being satisfied by the performance when winning but not with the same performance when we have lost.
Derby outplayed and were in control throughout, we were not in control of the game at Burton. They kept the ball for long periods, had more chances but failed to convert them. That isn't outplaying a team.
But you obviously have a different interpretation of the term...

....and history judges the winner by the win.....  not by how nicely they slaughtered the foe.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2020, 22:57:34 pm »

....and history judges the winner by the win.....  not by how nicely they slaughtered the foe.

In a few words you said what I tried to say in a 100 words! IMO Deepcut may have let an in-depth analysis override a simple fact. Politicians do it all the time😇
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2020, 23:05:40 pm »

Agreed...

So do I
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2020, 00:25:36 am »

In years to come we can historically boast about how we slaughtered Burton, but whilst still in the more recent memory we beat them by scoring more goals and progressed into the fourth round...history is always kinder to the victors.
Report Spam   Logged

guest1269

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2020, 07:49:46 am »

Interesting observation - yes he was bad but believe us when we say this was one of his better games!
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2020, 08:44:19 am »

Battle of Britain, Battle of Watling Street, Battle of Troy etc? Just saying.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2020, 10:27:31 am »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/worrall-win-over-cobblers-was-vales-best-season-1396435

Is this how the rest of the league see us?
Are we sometimes too critical of our own or are we punching below our perceived weight?
Report Spam   Logged

lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2020, 13:30:22 pm »

I know Marshall has been mentioned as a potential no 10 but I think to move him from his natural position would be foolish. He has played there for 141 minutes in the last 3 years, so to say brief is an understatement.

We have a number 10 in Warburton, but i think his step up to league 2 was the right time, just the wrong team with out style and his.

A frustrating day to say the least, tomorrows game even more important now!
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2020, 19:50:30 pm »

Id like to see Marshall stay in that position on the wing, with Warburton replacing the ineffective Hoskins, for all the current hype surrounding him , he has 2 assists In 31 starts, im sure youll all agree, a woeful return for a forward.
Saturday was dull, tomorrow will be cold, and dull. finishing a 12 hr shift at 7, so im not going to bother.
We may well be doing well this season, but I think only 2 games this season ive been excited by , Plymouth at home and Burton away.
Some of you may be happy with us getting 3 points every other week playing this dire style, im certainly not enjoying it and shant renew if Curle is here next year
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2020, 20:00:59 pm »

Id like to see Marshall stay in that position on the wing, with Warburton replacing the ineffective Hoskins, for all the current hype surrounding him , he has 2 assists In 31 starts, im sure youll all agree, a woeful return for a forward.
Saturday was dull, tomorrow will be cold, and dull. finishing a 12 hr shift at 7, so im not going to bother.
We may well be doing well this season, but I think only 2 games this season ive been excited by , Plymouth at home and Burton away.
Some of you may be happy with us getting 3 points every other week playing this dire style, im certainly not enjoying it and shant renew if Curle is here next year
So let’s get this straight - you want Hoskins replaced by Warburton on account that he has not been effective . .... the same Warburton that has disappointed every time he has come on as sub and has been the least effective signing of the season .... replacing Hoskins who creates and scores goals regularly ?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: