The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 12:16:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Swindon Town (Home) 11.02.20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swindon Town (Home) 11.02.20  (Read 7678 times)
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2020, 17:12:02 pm »

So let me get this straight..

The very same people that moan that the team is under funded, and that the manager was the cheap choice, are now moaning that he's not pulling a rabbit out of the hat with the resources he has to hand.

Personally I believe that KC makes some serious mistakes. But I am loathed to lay the blame squarely at his feet, for the very reasons that has been highlighted over and over again.

He was appointed having never achieved a single promotion in his career. He was appointed with the full knowledge of the tactics he employs. He hasn't seen any significance additional money for the playing budget. I would argue that one or two key players injuries have possibly shaped the tactics he uses. But most of all I would argue, that whilst the table doesn't lie, you can't dispute that he has surpassed what most expected of him under the circumstances. The team squandered opportunity after opportunity against Port Vale. There were chances last night that could have been taken. We've not been hammered, and with a bit of luck, we could have been much better placed, but such is life/football. For me the play offs is still an optimistic target. In my opinion he has done better than expected if he achieves that. 
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2020, 17:12:35 pm »

Do you acknowledge that K C has assembled a squad capable of finishing in the top 3 and should be praised for that?
I think EVEN YOU could put a squad of players together, it’s getting them to play that’s the skill.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2020, 17:17:26 pm »

The very same people that moan that the team is under funded, and that the manager was the cheap choice, are now moaning that he's not pulling a rabbit out of the hat with the resources he has to hand.

Personally I believe that KC makes some serious mistakes. But I am loathed to lay the blame squarely at his feet, for the very reasons that has been highlighted over and over again.

He was appointed having never achieved a single promotion in his career. He was appointed with the full knowledge of the tactics he employs. He hasn't seen any significance additional money for the playing budget. I would argue that one or two key players injuries have possibly shaped the tactics he uses. But most of all I would argue, that whilst the table doesn't lie, you can't dispute that he has surpassed what most expected of him under the circumstances. The team squandered opportunity after opportunity against Port Vale. There were chances last night that could have been taken. We've not been hammered, and with a bit of luck, we could have been much better placed, but such is life/football. For me the play offs is still an optimistic target. In my opinion he has done better than expected if he achieves that. 
We have a top 7 budget, we paid money for a number of our players, one thing I can’t criticise KT for is on the field budget, yes I’d have liked to have a striker who has a proven track record but overall I think the squad is definitely play off standard at least.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2020, 17:39:38 pm »

Spot on post Sir.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2020, 18:08:21 pm »

It seems to have gone a bit pear shaped since David Kelly left. He appeared to give players more advice during games than his replacement Ronnie Jepson does. Could there be anything in this? And do we know why he left, other than by mutual consent  Huh? 

I think this could be a very good point.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2020, 18:08:49 pm »

There is no doubt the budget was cut, but to be fair he still brought in players (on paper at least) of a decent standard. There are quite a few footballers in our squad who are not being allowed to play football.....that's KC's choice and the tactics he uses. I believe the squad is better than long ball hoof and long throws by a central defender.
I believe, if we were really serious about getting promoted he should have been given some money in the January window off the back of the cup run, after all you could say HE earned it. Alas, we didn't go out and find a decent striker who could put the ball in the back of the net. We went shopping at Aldi and brought in a youngster from West Brom who had not made a single league start. Two games after that same player scored the winner at Macclesfield he finds himself on the bench.

KC has done better than expected....because I expected him to be the manager who "saved us from relegation"....thats what he was brought in to do. He achieved that.
From that point forward though i'd argue he wasn't the right man to take us up to the next level, purely based on his long managerial career showing zero promotions.

Richie Wellens, manager of Swindon, top of the league, his second managerial role
David Artell, manager of Crewe, 2nd in the league in his first managerial role
Matty Taylor, manager of Exeter, 3rd in the league in his first managerial role.
Ryan Lowe, manager of Plymouth, 4th in the league in his second managerial role.
John McGreal, manager of Colchester, 5th in the league in his first managerial role
Keith Curle, manager of Northampton, 6th in the league in his sixth managerial role.

KC is vastly more experienced than any of the managers above him in the league........but we don't seem to expect much from him??
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2020, 18:34:23 pm »

No point assembling a capable squad if you then direct them to play like numpties!

This.

He has done better than expected Boring Bar Steward, I will say that. And I saw how we could play at Burton, so don't understand why he doesn't try that against lesser opposition in our division.

But JSLF has hit the nail on the head for me. If he has assembled a squad capable of being in the top 3, then he is underperforming and deserves scrutiny. We have the players to play football and they're not given the freedom to do it.

I also agree with what Fenners says r.e. the blame. It shouldn't be purely directed at him. KT appointing a manager with zero promotions and a known style of football was and still is questionable. I still desperately hope that this will change this season and it may yet. We need to stop the rot on Saturday though and then take full advantage of no midweek games next week and ensure the squad have a bit of a rest.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2020, 19:01:44 pm »

Quite often, I've defended KC's long ball tactics but we seem to be getting more and more direct. So direct, I fully expect a director of Hoofing to be employed imminently.

During the 2nd half last night, I was actually trying to think of a spell in the last 30 years where we hoofed the ball as much as we were doing. I struggled. I always recall a period under Graham Carr (when we got relegated) where we were constantly hoofing the ball to Bobby Barnes. Even under Atkins, I swear to God we didn't hoof it as much as we have done these last 2 games!  Grin

Last night, especially 2nd half, we were abysmal. It wasn't enjoyable in any way. Plus it was bloody cold. Pointless singling out any poor performers; they were all 5's and 6's at best.

Aside from us upping the anti with regards to hoofing. Since the transfer window signings, KC seems to be making the mistake that so many managers make. Namely, trying to keep everyone sweet.

Ill be the first on here to say; I think Jones cost us a point last night. From where I was sitting, he had ample opportunity to head the ball out for a throw in, he dithered, they broke away from him, crossed it...we were under resourced in the middle, they scored. I actually muttered 'put it in the stand' prior to them carrying the ball away, that said I haven't seen a replay and I sit in the North stand so I stand to be corrected.

So for me. Back 3/5 that we had before. Hoskins back to right wing back. Oliver/Morton up top with Marshall tucked in behind. Central midfield two of Watson and Anderson. Until the Arsenal lad and McCormack (!) gain fitness back.

We need a result on Saturday, personally I hope the game is called off...because we need a 10 day break more than anything else.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2020, 19:20:47 pm »

We have a top 7 budget,
stands up that we're in the top 7 then
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2020, 19:32:37 pm »

Are you confident we will still be at the end of season? I’m not.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2020, 19:36:02 pm »

We’ve got 3 challenging games up as well. We could easily be outside the play offs at the end of the month. Only seen Morton play on Saturday and he looked light weight, the one piece of class was when he turned in the box and created some space, however, lumping balls up front in never going to be his game. The football overall has been pretty poor to watch but it has been effective, if the results turn and we don’t make the play offs I think we should be saying goodbye to Curle, if we make the play offs I think he deserves another season. I just don’t get why he doesn’t change things, already bored with the Goode long throw I’ve yet to see a goal created from that phase of play, but other teams are creating opportunities against us from their throws
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2020, 19:40:31 pm »

Anyone fancy compiling a list of ours managers who were/are beyond criticism in the last 50 years? Calderwood? Atkins? Carr? Wilder? Reading this it seems for other teams it’s effortless and for us it’s like trying to put a chimp on Mars? Or perhaps expectations are unrealistic? From where we have come from in the last 4 years I would take this season and last season for that matter in a heartbeat. Hopefully next season we improve again in terms of quality, because if each season improves on the last which it unquestionably has under Curle, we might finally reach an acceptable standard? Or alternatively how about jumping back on the manager merry go round and risking another 4 years like the last? There’s some bo11ocks on here sometimes there really is? I nearly forgot Boothroyd, he was good and got us into the play offs?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 19:44:27 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2020, 19:58:32 pm »

Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2020, 20:06:55 pm »

We have a top 7 budget, we paid money for a number of our players, one thing I can’t criticise KT for is on the field budget, yes I’d have liked to have a striker who has a proven track record but overall I think the squad is definitely play off standard at least.

I was pointing out that up until recently, he was widely criticised for being no good.... A point that was only parked for the period where he was in fact GOOD. Now that we have just about lost a couple of games, he is firmly back in the firing line. My point is actually the same as yours. I think the play offs are achievable. But I do think that does surpass early expectations.

As Karl so eloquently pointed out. He is currently on par with the budget. Although, the minimal difference in budgets at our level, lends very little value to the league position. With the odd exception of course.
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2020, 20:07:21 pm »

That makes two of us

Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2020, 21:06:11 pm »

We have a top 7 budget

How do you, or anyone else know that? If you do it must be in the public domain, where's the list?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2020, 21:33:36 pm »

How do you, or anyone else know that? If you do it must be in the public domain, where's the list?
It’s published, now go find it Frank.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2020, 21:48:37 pm »

you'll find it next to the league tables in the newspapers because that's how these things work apparently
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2020, 22:25:55 pm »

I would have thought that Bradford and Plymouth would have bigger budgets than anyone given sheer size of the clubs. However how people are so confident on the order of the remaining top 7 budgets is beyond me.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2020, 22:31:55 pm »

I would have thought that Bradford and Plymouth would have bigger budgets than anyone given sheer size of the clubs. However how people are so confident on the order of the remaining top 7 budgets is beyond me.

Probably add Salford to the list of those above us in the wages stakes......but then i'd be struggling to pick another team who i'd know would have a bigger budget.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: