The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 01:41:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Out of contract

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of contract  (Read 25482 times)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2020, 03:49:32 am »

It was not a personal attack at all and am sorry you interpreted it as such. From your lengthy response I don’t think you really considered it as such. In any case please accept my apologies for any comments made!
Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2020, 03:51:07 am »

Theres still plenty of games left. I think we'll make the playoffs but Curlio will really need to learn from his mistakes and quickly.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
guest3264

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2020, 04:32:10 am »

Absolute bollox, Curle will be gone by the end of the summer or we will have less than 2000 season ticket holders FACT.

I suggest you improve your spelling Manwork, the word 'fact' is spelt 'OPINION'!
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2020, 07:10:32 am »

Absolute bollox, Curle will be gone by the end of the summer or we will have less than 2000 season ticket holders FACT.

I love it when you do this mate, fancy a wager on this as well? At this rate I'll be able to afford the club myself.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2020, 07:15:12 am »

Thats a tenner on this and double and or quits says you you attend enough games to make it better value to buy a season ticket. You're a man of honour so I trust you to tell me whether you have or not?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Windows User Nineth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2020, 09:02:33 am »

I know nine people who regularly attend and everyone dislikes the current style of play. Even when we were challenging for a top three place discussion normally focused on the hoofball rather than possible promotion. I expect Curle to be the manager next season come what may but if we are still in Division 2 then I am sure a fair few will be thinking long and hard about renewing their season tickets. As a matter of interest how many season ticket holders are there currently?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2020, 10:00:24 am »

If all of you don't renew your season tickets, what will you do on a Saturday/match day instead?  Grin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:02:12 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2020, 10:42:50 am »

Theres still plenty of games left. I think we'll make the playoffs but Curlio will really need to learn from his mistakes and quickly.

Grin Grin
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:46:22 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2020, 12:28:09 pm »

Curle is manifestly a competent lower league manager. He can organise a defence, he knows how to grind out results, his signings have generally been successful and his teams generally finish in the top half of the division.

That might sound like a low bar of competence, but his immediate predecessors (Page, Austen, Hasselbaink) all failed to clear it. In this respect, I would say he is comfortably in the top 10% of the managers we have had during the Sixfields era (and I'm sure that his win percentage would bear this out). I would also go as far as saying that in the Sixfields era, only Wilder and Gray have been manifestly 'better' than Curle in terms of style of play.

We could do - and frequently have done - a lot worse than KC. Sacking him would be a risk because history suggests that the chances of us bringing in someone better are pretty low.

On the other hand, there are two big question marks over his future:

1. Can he deliver a promotion? and
2. Is he either willing or able to evolve the team into something more dynamic, unpredictable and attractive in terms of personnel and style of play?

I see Curle as very similar to Atkins and Boothroyd, both of whom had similar strengths and weaknesses and both of whom faced similar questions during their tenure. In the case of Boothroyd, the answer to both questions was no. In the case of Atkins, the answer to the first question was initially 'yes', but when he tried to evolve it failed miserably and ended ultimately in relegation, albeit from a higher division.

I think we'll have a fair idea on the promotion issue at the end of the season. Given our personnel and budget I would say that a play-off spot finish is a reasonable expectation. If we fail to make the play-offs it should raise alarm bells about Curle's capacity to maintain a sustained challenge at the top of the table. If we make the play-offs but lose out then it will at least be a tangible sign of progress.

The question of Curle's capacity for tactical evolution will take longer to answer, but if I were KT I would be asking him some tough questions about personnel and lack of a plan 'b'.

In short, if we make the play-offs then I would very much be in favour of keeping him but with the caveat that he should be asked some tough questions about his plans for tactical and personnel evolution. If we fail to make the play-offs then it might be time to consider some alternative options. 

Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2020, 14:19:20 pm »

Pretty much agree with Bungle, word to word. Perhaps other than the last line; 8th,9th,10th would still show decent progress, however it depends on how its 'achieved' in during the busy end of the season. Lots of football still to be played and all that...

I still though, often look back at Chris Wilders promotion, Boothroyd's near miss as well as and even Carr's. All 3 started off pretty much in the same position, bottom 3 of the football league. I think its fair to say that all 3 had similar first 'part seasons', namely stabilising us. During their first full seasons, Carr finished 8th if memory serves me right, Wilder 11th. In Wilder's case the 2nd half of that season was a massive improvement, given we were just above the drop zone around Christmas time. He then made some game changer signings in the January window (Ricky being the main one) and we finished the season very strongly. Prior to that window, we were awful. Negative, and often very direct. He simply didn't have the right players to really get us entertaining, Id say KC still has that issue to a large extent. We still don't have a proven decent goal scoring striker, although the lad on loan from WBA is showing promise.

Unlike KC's main critics, I try not to look at his previous record and be negative about it. To use an over used saying in football, its all about the fine margins. Curle was a penalty shoot out away from promotion at Mansfield. You cant get any closer than that! Then he'd be on a par with Carr, ie one promotion in the football league. Spin? Yes. But factually, still correct. On the flip side, he didn't deserve to get that chance, having robbed us in the semi finals!  Grin But that simply enforces the fine margins argument here...

So for me, its all about what he does here. What happened before he showed up, is pretty irrelevant.

Like Bungle says, Id want (if I was chairman) reassurances about the evolvement of the playing style, personally though Im absolutely comfortable that he doesn't intend to hoof it for ever! I attended a sponsors evening a while back and sat on his table, and he talked about this in some depth. Remember last season, when we spent 2 or 3 games trying to play 'total football'? Yeah, we lost them. A gig joke was made of it but those results were the catalyst to going back to a direct style.

Personally, I think we now need to try and play the ball more. We are at a tipping point after the last run of results, and performances. It will be interesting to see how we set up tomorrow, but I've a feeling that we will try and play the ball through the middle a lot more than in recent times. Just a hunch. Happy to come back on here at 5pm tomorrow and be proved totally wrong though!!  Grin

I do believe that his somewhat monotoned interview style gives people the complete wrong impression of him. Meet him, he's a top bloke, very intelligent, has a great sense of humour and has a presence that you'd hope a football manager would have. I don't think any of these attributes come across at all when he's on the wireless, or indeed in front of a camera. If they did, I believe many others would have a different view of him than they currently do.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2020, 15:49:33 pm »

Drilling, you mention KC's monotone voice. To prove this I have never heard the second half of one of his interviews because I have drifted off in my concentration!
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2020, 16:59:21 pm »

Bit ironic from you as the underlying feature of some of your posts is a drip by drip negativity. A reasonable example is your article on successful L1 clubs which was criticised by BBS for lack of balance . I think he is right but that is just my opinion. Rightly or wrongly to some you give the impression of having an agenda on KC and the Chairman for that matter. To me your best efforts relate to NTFC financial matters, attendance statistics and travel arrangements via BR. Most of these if not all are free from bias and make worthwhile read; IMO of course. Why you chose to follow or appear to follow the jaundiced views of a few on here is beyond me. Seems a waste of talent. Still each to his own.

Yeah do as you are told GPC, stick to what you do best  Grin

Oh and Everbrite, you keep making things up and being condescending, that's your forte
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2020, 19:56:04 pm »

Evers***e condescending? You should be ashamed.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2020, 20:11:28 pm »

Curle is manifestly a competent lower league manager. He can organise a defence, he knows how to grind out results, his signings have generally been successful and his teams generally finish in the top half of the division.

Based on that view and considering our previous managers I'd sign him for life.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2020, 20:48:12 pm »

Based on that view and considering our previous managers I'd sign him for life.
Really?
Why are you so pro Curle? Im very very curious. Please respond. Ta.xx
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2020, 21:06:35 pm »

Yeah do as you are told GPC, stick to what you do best  Grin

Oh and Everbrite, you keep making things up and being condescending, that's your forte

No comment!  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2020, 21:23:09 pm »

Thats a tenner on this and double and or quits says you you attend enough games to make it better value to buy a season ticket. You're a man of honour so I trust you to tell me whether you have or not?
Grin I can’t take the attending bet because your right, I am a sucker for NTFC. 👍
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2020, 09:24:31 am »

Grin I can’t take the attending bet because your right, I am a sucker for NTFC. 👍
Bugger. It was a long shot but I thought your frustration might get the better of you and you’d cover the bet? You have to get up very early in the morning to catch old Manny out.
Report Spam   Logged

Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2020, 10:08:44 am »

Really?
Why are you so pro Curle? Im very very curious. Please respond. Ta.xx

Because I've learn't that managers aren't magicians and he's doing a decent job with the players and budget available. Constantly changing managers is the direct cause of our problems.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2020, 14:28:11 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/chairman-thomas-says-cobblers-have-started-discussions-over-new-contract-curle-1890685
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: