The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:01:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Out of contract

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of contract  (Read 25043 times)
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« on: February 19, 2020, 11:54:22 am »

With a large potion of our squad out of contract next season is it time to give Curle a new contract or do we hold fire and look at what other options we have going forward.

Personally i would like to see a different approach football wise which i dont see KC doing while he is our manager.   

We are in a very good position and this is the first time in a few years the board can take there time and have a good look around to see who is up for taking the club on.

UTC
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »

You say 'we are in a very good position' which is therefor due to the current manager so why change?
Yes the product could be more entertaining but we are still 'a work in progress' so wait until we become the finished article and see how good we are then.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:30:12 pm »

Our form is currently dire so why KT would even entertain the prospect of offering KC a new contract is beyond me...

KC has thankfully stabilized the club but with no promotions in his 18/19 year managerial career, and the fayre being served up, i'd let his contract run down...

If we make the play-offs and put up a committed show in those games, then perhaps talks can take place, but I honestly can't see us making the play offs...

This season, L2 has been atrocious, yet we've still not showed regular consistency in a very poor division...

Tisdale or Nathan Jones for me but not sure KT has the finances/budget to entice either of them

It's all about opinions afterall!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 12:41:19 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-boss-keith-curle-gives-latest-his-contract-situation-1849184
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 13:16:16 pm »

Managers (IMO) shouldn't be on more than a one year rolling contract. They can go from hero to zero in no time.

Curles position is interesting as yes, he has got the team challenging towards the top end of the table, the team under his management had a great cup run which brought in an extra 15-20% additional money on this years turnover, and if it is indeed true he has achieved this on a reduced budget. So you could say he has done what it says on his tin.

But what then? Is he the man to take the team and club forward? How much does his (non-) football affect gates, which despite being in a better position in the table this year than last are actually lower on average than they were. How many fewer season tickets did we sell? Did we sell any half-seasons?

All that has to be taken into account by the man at the top.

Realistically, should we do anything before the end of the season? If we make the playoffs or even get promoted then he's probably deserving of an extension, on better terms than before. If we don't will he entertain a new contract on lesser terms than before? Who knows!

For me....i'd not renew his contract, as the boring brand of football overrides the possibility that we might finish 7th. For others finishing 7th would be seen as a huge success "considering where we were a year ago"...…

All about opinions......and there's probably only one or two peoples opinions that count.....KT and DB.

As for the players....will they be looking for contracts now, or will they wait and see what league we are in? The club won't offer big pay increases now because "we might go up"......from that list of Anderson, Hoskins, Williams, Oliver, Turnbull, how many would you like to see us hold on to?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 13:19:39 pm »

Our form is currently dire so why KT would even entertain the prospect of offering KC a new contract is beyond me...

KC has thankfully stabilized the club but with no promotions in his 18/19 year managerial career, and the fayre being served up, i'd let his contract run down...

If we make the play-offs and put up a committed show in those games, then perhaps talks can take place, but I honestly can't see us making the play offs...

This season, L2 has been atrocious, yet we've still not showed regular consistency in a very poor division...

Tisdale or Nathan Jones for me but not sure KT has the finances/budget to entice either of them

It's all about opinions afterall!

We were in the bottom 2 when KC took over with only 7 points in 10 matches. He kept us up comfortably and even came close to mounting a promotion challenge around March time. He rebuilt the squad on a reduced budget, has brought in some very good players and there is an excellent team spirit within the squad. We're 8th in the table and only out of the play-offs on goal difference, with a game in hand. We reached the 5th round of the cup and were the only L2 team to reach that stage, earning the club a significant financial windfall.

We may have lost the last 3 league matches, but all have been narrow defeats. Two of these were against the side top of the table and another against one of if not the divisions form team in Port Vale, a game which we otherwise had been the better side in.

Prior to that we had lost just 3 games in 22 in all competitions, including emphatic wins away at League 1 Burton and a draw at home to Championship side Derby County.

On the basis of what KC has manged since he took over I'll be amazed if he isn't offered a new contract and it's beyond me how that being a very strong possibility could be beyond anyone at this point.

8-10 defeats in the next 14 could possibly change things, but that won't happen.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 14:38:42 pm by ClarenceInDefence » Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 13:23:16 pm »

Managers (IMO) shouldn't be on more than a one year rolling contract. They can go from hero to zero in no time.

Curles position is interesting as yes, he has got the team challenging towards the top end of the table, the team under his management had a great cup run which brought in an extra 15-20% additional money on this years turnover, and if it is indeed true he has achieved this on a reduced budget. So you could say he has done what it says on his tin.

But what then? Is he the man to take the team and club forward? How much does his (non-) football affect gates, which despite being in a better position in the table this year than last are actually lower on average than they were. How many fewer season tickets did we sell? Did we sell any half-seasons?

All that has to be taken into account by the man at the top.

Realistically, should we do anything before the end of the season? If we make the playoffs or even get promoted then he's probably deserving of an extension, on better terms than before. If we don't will he entertain a new contract on lesser terms than before? Who knows!

For me....i'd not renew his contract, as the boring brand of football overrides the possibility that we might finish 7th. For others finishing 7th would be seen as a huge success "considering where we were a year ago"...…

All about opinions......and there's probably only one or two peoples opinions that count.....KT and DB.

As for the players....will they be looking for contracts now, or will they wait and see what league we are in? The club won't offer big pay increases now because "we might go up"......from that list of Anderson, Hoskins, Williams, Oliver, Turnbull, how many would you like to see us hold on to?

If KC stays on then I would expect Oliver and perhaps one from Anderson/Hoskins to be kept on. It wouldn't surprise me if Turnbull was offered a contract on reduced wages, which he would possibly reject. Everyone else will be let go IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 13:59:25 pm »

Looking back over his tenure i'm surprised that there seems to be a discernible pattern in results......for example when he was appointed we actually went on a run of only 1 defeat in 9 games, this was followed by a period of no wins in 8, which was immediately followed by six wins in seven games.
Straight after that came one win in 12, or 2 wins in 16 if you prefer.....which then went to 8 games without defeat, before ending the season with 2 wins from the last 9 games.

Into this season we go, when we only won two of the first 10 in all competitions, followed by just two defeats in the next 15 games, then one win in 6 followed by the previous good run of 9 games without defeat....and now onto 4 straight defeats.

It does always seem to be boom or bust, KC is still searching for that consistency.
Report Spam   Logged

BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 14:17:58 pm »

Ignoring the last 3 games, we're definitely harder to beat under Curle and that has seen us steady the ship and improve our league position.

We're also harder to watch though!

I personally don't think we'll make the play offs now, but if we do (even if we get knocked out in the semis) it would probably be churlish to deny Curle a new contract because he'll have reached the expected level of success, even if that success came at the expense of entertainment value.

If we don't get there we'll have only really been treading water this year and, coupled with the dismal football on show, that isn't really good enough, especially when you consider the overall poor standard within L2 at the moment. If we don't make the play offs then personally I'd be looking for a new manager rather than offering any new contracts.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 14:36:09 pm »

Curle and the players are as good as we're going to get.When will people realise we're the Cobblers not Real Madrid - a club whose history consists as much about staving off extinction and avoiding re-election as it does promotion glory.

Whilst their styles are obviously different, Curle's timeline closely mirrors Wilder's albeit it will probably not end in a run of non-stop swashbuckling victories to secure us the title.

We've got probably the 75th best budget in the league (if that) and the 75th best ground and support. We've probably got the 75th best manager and players too.

Why do people persist in believing promotion to L1 is some kind of thing we should always be challenging for. The resources just don't match the dreams - get over it.

If we make the play offs - and I think we might well do - Curle will have done a decent job. If he gets us up (and do people not actually think he is trying his nuts off to get that elusive promotion?) he will have done a great job.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 14:42:30 pm »

Curle and the players are as good as we're going to get.When will people realise we're the Cobblers not Real Madrid - a club whose history consists as much about staving off extinction and avoiding re-election as it does promotion glory.

Whilst their styles are obviously different, Curle's timeline closely mirrors Wilder's albeit it will probably not end in a run of non-stop swashbuckling victories to secure us the title.

We've got probably the 75th best budget in the league (if that) and the 75th best ground and support. We've probably got the 75th best manager and players too.

Why do people persist in believing promotion to L1 is some kind of thing we should always be challenging for. The resources just don't match the dreams - get over it.

If we make the play offs - and I think we might well do - Curle will have done a decent job. If he gets us up (and do people not actually think he is trying his nuts off to get that elusive promotion?) he will have done a great job.

Hallelujah...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 14:58:57 pm »

I agree, I think sometimes certain people can get a bit carried away, In all my lifetime we have been mainly in league 2 occasionally flirted with league 1 (and for a brief moment got close to Championship) and a few times come close to the drop. In fact just surviving by the skin of our teeth on one occasion. I have been watching us since about 83 time and love a good season but expect a bad one, that way I am not disappointed to often. I remember stopping going for the last few years of Cardoza's reign because I didn't agree with what he was doing then I missed out on the Wilder era. So I have since decided to just go and enjoy the good and put up with the bad.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 15:34:47 pm »

Oh no....the old ‘we’ve always been crap so always will be crap’ argument!

Might as well give up now!  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 16:24:43 pm »

I think there could be as many as 19 players out of contract this summer - if I'm wrong I stand to be corrected. The list is as follows :-

Out of contract : David Cornell, Reece Hall-Johnson, Alan McCormack, Jordan Turnbull, Sam Hoskins, Andy Williams, Scott Pollock, Jay Williams, Shaun McWilliams, Vadaine Oliver, Michael Harriman, Ryan Hughes, Camron McWilliams, Jack Newell, Billy Waters, Sean Whaler, Bradley Lashley, Paul Anderson & Mark Marshall.

Under contract (only 10) : Joe Martin, Charlie Goode, Ryan Watson, Harry Smith, Nicky Adams, Chris Lines, Matt Warburton, Morgan Roberts, Steve Arnold & Ethan Johnston. 

Some of our promising youngsters that haven't really pushed on this season are out of contract including Shaun McWilliams.
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 16:50:36 pm »

Small point, but Morgan Roberts is under contract to summer 2021.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 17:22:41 pm »

Small point, but Morgan Roberts is under contract to summer 2021.

Correct, the transfermarket website is clearly wrong in this case and probably in some others  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 17:46:13 pm »

Oh no....the old ‘we’ve always been crap so always will be crap’ argument!

Might as well give up now!  Angry
I know mate, I think this is a sad reflection on the attitude of certain people, Some people are happy with the status quo and others strive for betterment.
There are numerous examples of clubs on their arse that have improved themselves and now are regulars in the championship and even the prem.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 17:47:17 pm »

And as for Curles contract........ Grin
Nathan Jones all day long.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler