The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 04:45:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Music Northampton have run out to

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music Northampton have run out to  (Read 1295 times)
joeheadland

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: February 21, 2020, 04:15:56 am »

Hello everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here – if not, moderators please move or delete as appropriate.

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Northampton Town have run out to for as
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons
Northampton Town ran out to this
. Any help you can give us to
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the
project.

Thanks for your time,

Joe Headland
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 18:08:41 pm »

I remember us running out to "It's a Kind of Magic" by Queen around the begnning of the '90s. No idea how long we'd been doing it for or when it changed I'm afraid

It was not any kind of magic, by the way
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 19:03:22 pm »

If youre a student, then the following paragraph will have you reaching for Google.
"Fanfare for the common man" by ELP.
Mid nineties I think, but I cant recall. Mind you, I was drinking far too much alcohol at the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3086

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 19:51:30 pm »

We used to run out to 'shoe be the buzz' by legendary reggae outfit Shoe-Roy in the 80's but it was proven that Shoe-Roy took the spliff so it was changed to 'You have been ganged' by Gazza Glitter.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 20:41:19 pm »

We used to run out to 'shoe be the buzz' by legendary reggae outfit Shoe-Roy in the 80's but it was proven that Shoe-Roy took the spliff so it was changed to 'You have been ganged' by Gazza Glitter.
Two friends of mine have a "selfie" with Gary Glitter. And one turned up at a fancy dress, done up as Jimmy Saville, before the truth emerged. Strange the way, these things work out.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 17:11:05 pm »

I'm sure Under Ian Atkins, in the 90.s we came out to Roll With It. Oasis, we also used come out Praise You, Fat Boy Slim.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 18:58:52 pm »

"Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years."

But why? What on Earth do you hope to learn? When you know, what benefit will it be to anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 19:11:43 pm »

"Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years."

But why? What on Earth do you hope to learn? When you know, what benefit will it be to anyone?

More to the point, how the fúck is that going to get any other job than flipping burgers?
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 20:04:09 pm »

More to the point, how the fúck is that going to get any other job than flipping burgers?
More,more to the point, who is paying for this?
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 04:49:53 am »

I remember us running out to:

Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 19:25:13 pm »

you do know that the subject isn't important? It's the techniques they're using that is the important bit.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest3338

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 19:35:59 pm »

you do know that the subject isn't important? It's the techniques they're using that is the important bit.
Quite. Because even if it was about burger flipping, they wouldn't be at any advantage in getting the burger flippers job.
Methodology.
They teach the flipping on the job.
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 21:15:24 pm »

There must be fans out there that know what we have run out to. All I can remember is It's a Kind Of Magic' around 1989/90 when we got relegated and Liquidator for the last few years. During the Ian Atkins era there was a song Chimney on her Head or something. ( I'm not great with music).
What did we run out to in Carr's 86/87 season? Or did we not have run-out music then?
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 21:35:43 pm »

I can also remember the previously mentioned 'Roll With It'. I think we had Queen's 'We Will Rock You', Nancy Sinatra 'These Boots Are Made For Walking' and for the 'administration derby' against Aldershot we had 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'. Can't remember all the years though.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 21:37:08 pm »

It could be that an algorithm will be created by these guys that establishes the most successful tune to run out to in terms of the matchday result.
Small advantages count.

Report Spam   Logged
joeheadland

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 20:14:35 pm »

Thanks everyone for your info, reminisces and opinions. It's interesting and invaluable in terms of this project.

For those wondering why Uni researchers are investigating this, (and suggesting it's a waste of tax-payers money Wink, then I'm happy to reassure you that this project is not funded by any sort of public money. As per Chris’s sports statues work (sportingstatues.com) and our football shirts research, it has involved very little money, and where some has been required, it's funded from statistics training courses Chris has run. Neither are these football-related projects Chris’s day job, nor Nick's or mine - it's essentially a hobby project, with both academic and hopefully some more populist outputs. We are doing it cos' we all love football and are curious about the culture and history of the game, and what it can say about wider society. Chris’s day job is doing the statistics for far more orthodox and obviously worthy projects to do with the workplace, health, well-being - and training people to analyse data properly. Nick is a teacher and I have just finished my undergraduate degree.

In terms of the aims of/ideas behind this particular project, there's the what and when - the preserving history angle in terms of the music used, when it changed - and also the why... we're keen to see how changes in style, type of music used relate to a club's status, wider music fashions, the wider fashionability of football, how clubs have attempted to commodify the match going experience, the balance of localism and globalisation.

Cheers
Joe
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 09:15:03 am »

On a separate note I will never forget former chairman Michael McRitchie leading the team out to “always look on the bright side of life”. For those that don’t know, the background was that this bloke and his cronies brought the club because they somehow saw an opportunity to make a few quid via the ground. I seem to remember something about a supermarket being built in Abington Avenue? Anyway, to cut a long story short the whole deal went south in a matter of weeks and the hapless McRichie was so cash strapped the club was about to disappear into the abyss. So in some misguided and bizarre attempt at appeasing the supporters to buy time, they decided on the surreal approach of marching onto the pitch in unison with the team to the afore mentioned comedy anthem. Hats off to the bloke, his optimism was astonishing. I don’t think to this day I have ever seen anyone quite misread a situation as much as that. The hostility McRichie and gang faced couldn’t be overstated. I was stood in the Hotel End and the look of shock, confusion and fear on his face was clearly visible from a hundred yards away. I can’t emphasise enough how much his safety was at at risk. He made a hasty retreat into the stand and was never seen again, which was just as well because the scenes in Abington Avenue after the game were rather ugly to say the least. I’m sure I will be corrected on some of the historical errors, but this must be an example of one of the most misguided and inappropriate run out choices in football history?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:19:48 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Eastander

View Profile
Apple User
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 19:03:15 pm »

Since we play at home on a Tuesday night which falls on st Patrick’s day perhaps we could run out to a irish themed song any ideas
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 20:03:17 pm »

Surely Nancy's 'These boots' should have been our long term walk out music right from the 60's
to the point that its known to most football fans a la Z cars & Everton/Watford etc

Changing it all the time and currently having something that loads of other clubs have isn't really the most well thought out idea.

These boots are made for walking is both unique and relevant.

Report Spam   Logged
Eastander

View Profile
Apple User
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 21:13:33 pm »

Yes love the idea of these boots are made for walking brilliant
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: