The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:50:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Next up, Cheltenham away Tuesday 25/02/19

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next up, Cheltenham away Tuesday 25/02/19  (Read 6167 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: February 22, 2020, 19:41:23 pm »

A trip to see if Johnny really does Rock.......or we could just call it Whaddon Road!

A crunch 6 pointer in the play off race as we take on the Robins. A win for us would put us 5th, a win for them would keep them 5th, and a draw would see them stay in....5th! We'd go up to 6th with the draw though.

33 previous games against the Robins in all competitions, they hold the upper hand with 13 wins to our 11. We only have one win in the last seven against them, and our last win there was the playoff semi final win in 2013 when we prevailed 1-0, a Luke Guttridge goal sending us to Wembley. We've lost our last two visits there 3-1 and 3-2.

They are on a decent run with 4 wins in their last 5 games overall, and 5 wins on the bounce at home since a 1-0 defeat to Plymouth on Boxing Day.

Craig Hicks will be the man in the middle, he has reffed us twice this season, overseeing our 1-0 win at Swindon and our 4-1 win over Crewe. He refereed the League Trophy semi final between Portsmouth and Exeter last Tuesday night, and has been in charge of 26 games this season issuing 78 yellow and 4 red cards.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest3338

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 19:54:00 pm »

We'll win this if Willo's fit.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 21:10:15 pm »

We'll win this if Willo's fit.

Don't understand the love in with Williams who to me doesn't always justify his selection. Perhaps ok with Morton who again played well today. I actually prefer Smith who IMO is more of a footballer than Oliver; thought today that Oliver was not quite at the races but his opening goal was a gem. The fitness of Williams,Smith and Oliver will be critical over the coming weeks. According KC Smith is near full fitness.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 21:17:56 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 21:52:40 pm »

I agree with you Evers. Think Williams has had a fairly poor season and definitely wouldn’t be ahead of Vadaine or Morton in the pecking order for me.

Let’s win this. I had zero intentions of going to this but the response today has made me consider it slightly.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 10:16:40 am »

Grand day out is Cheltenham.
Lots of memories. That obese welsh steward getting loads of stick, local youth chucking traffic cones at the coaches, Sammo with a bullet header in the net and rebounding back into play, the ref disallowing it because he thought it hit the bar, Jamie Forrester making his debut,(we all thought that he would be a bit taller) the burger van on the away terrace pumping out smoke by the corner flag, pub stop in Evesham, and Steve Riches comes in to show everybody the dinner set that he had just purchased from the market. Very proud he was.
Not for the first time this season, I cant make this one. My current site has to be finished by Wednesday, as the client has a photo shoot booked for Thursday AM, so he can display my work to everybody. I should be flattered, but it is inconvenient.
I am going for a 1-1 draw, Callum Morton to score.
Enjoy the game everybody, I shall be logged in.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 21:22:32 pm »

Cheltenham have recorded their best winning home sequence for 7 years and have the best defensive record in League Two. Their new keeper hasn't conceded more than one goal in any game. This was the match last year that ended our faint play off hopes with a disastrous performance with a threadbare squad. We'll win this, 2-0.
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 04:48:16 am »

A battle of the long-throw centre-backs.   Who has their contact lenses in?

We need whoever is our CF alongside Morton to want it more than he does......  Else, why is Williams here?
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 09:56:48 am »

A battle of the long-throw centre-backs.   Who has their contact lenses in?

We need whoever is our CF alongside Morton to want it more than he does......  Else, why is Williams here?

Do what?

Are we all still trying to prove who can predict what after the event?

I predict a 6-0 defeat.  Cornell replaced at half-time, just after the 5th goes in.

Curle is sacked following a post-match outburst to the press when, for the first time since his tenure started, he DOESN'T scratch his head. He demands support from this message board. This message board struggles to understand anything, let alone support..... and, in turn, is left trying to scratch its collective head.  Except, its left is otherwise engaged (think about it!).   Thus, Curle's fate is settled.

Will the 10 point penalty for being second-rate at finance kick-in before or after this game?

Do dogs want us?  Or are we unable to make even said canines salivate?

Is development of a stadium even worth it, after super-SARS kills us all off?

At what point do we accept that a massive town population of 2 (survivors) may mean that we cannot raise the funds for our challenge at the head of the Championship?

Hands up if you are fit enough to live to the end of the season.

Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 10:07:17 am »

The only thing I ever remember about Cheltenham is being 1 v 3 up with 15 minutes to go and losing 4 v 3. That was a miserable night in 2003, with whistling Kettle giving three pens during the game. Haven't been back since.
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 10:18:49 am »

The only thing I ever remember about Cheltenham is being 1 v 3 up with 15 minutes to go and losing 4 v 3. That was a miserable night in 2003, with whistling Kettle giving three pens during the game. Haven't been back since.

How apt that you should mention winning positions turning to dust/(steam?)

Thus is our lot as true, heart-felt fans of the Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 11:25:28 am »

I believe we can get something from this game. Cheltenham have won their last 5 home games so are due a hiccup and their fans were not overly impressed with their 1-0 win on Saturday. They have only failed to score in 1 home league game but despite having the best defensive record in div.2 they only have 4 home clean sheets.
If we can keep our shape and defend like we did against Exeter (not like we did against Walsall) we can restrict them to few scoring opportunities.
Hopefully the injuries to Watson and Oliver will not keep them out as without Oliver Morton is our only fit striker. Williams scan results have not been revealed and although Smith is approaching fitness KC tends to bring injured players on from the bench and build up their minutes. With this in mind McCormack will probably get 30 minutes. As Watson went off with a bang on the head he may be fit but Pollock did very well when he replaced him on Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 12:18:10 pm »

The beginning of the very end for Martin Wilkinson. I think it actually ended with him sat  on his own in the dugout after a thumping at Oxford, if memory serves me correctly. He did lump the Swindon manager though, his moment in the sun!  Grin

As for the aforementioned game. One of the worst last 10 minutes of a Cobblers game I have witnessed live. We just totally collapsed, together with Kettle levelling things up after he'd given us a more than soft penalty to go 3-1 up!
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 13:57:16 pm »

The beginning of the very end for Martin Wilkinson. I think it actually ended with him sat  on his own in the dugout after a thumping at Oxford, if memory serves me correctly. He did lump the Swindon manager though, his moment in the sun!  Grin

As for the aforementioned game. One of the worst last 10 minutes of a Cobblers game I have witnessed live. We just totally collapsed, together with Kettle levelling things up after he'd given us a more than soft penalty to go 3-1 up!

It was the most disappointed I could remember being after a game on the long drive home, anticipating an early start for work. Little did we know that we'd soon be 'treated' to the Mansfield play-off, the Asamoah (non) late penalty shout and Curle dancing around the pitch at Field Mill.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 16:25:56 pm »

I have a very bad feeling about this one.
We never seem to beat these away. I can only remember that 1 playoff game in 2013 when Gutts scored that rocket and we won 1-0 I think.
Prediction 2-0 Chelts
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 16:49:04 pm »

We need a point to secure survival...  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/potentielleendplatzierung/wettbewerb/GB4
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2995

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 08:33:34 am »

Shrove Tuesday .
We all expect a bit of zest but could be tossed off with a limp sloppy one .
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 18:01:12 pm »

We've got this game in the bag.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 18:04:13 pm »

And tonights lineup......

Cornell: Turnbull, Jones, Goode; Harriman, Anderson, Adams, Watson, Lines Hoskins, Morton

Subs: Arnold, Martin, Wharton, Marshall, Warburton, McCormack and Pollock.

No Oliver tonight, he joins Smith and Williams on the strikers injured list. Roberts misses out on the 18 thanks to the return of Martin and Wharton.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 18:11:29 pm »

No Olly now ffs how many more strikers injured
Curlio should call the Revmeister.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 18:19:00 pm »

No Olly now ffs how many more strikers injured
Curlio should call the Revmeister.
He's the greatest!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: