The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 08:03:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Next up: Stags visit the PTS on Saturday

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next up: Stags visit the PTS on Saturday  (Read 8550 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2020, 14:59:56 pm »

I can see where you're coming from, BUT, if it's such a good tactic, why does no other team ever do it ?

Exeter do it as do Plymouth ,Port Vale, Forest Green and Morecambe. Macclesfield(a) did so recently. More investigation required prior to statement!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest48

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2020, 15:34:36 pm »

Exeter do it as do Plymouth ,Port Vale, Forest Green and Morecambe. Macclesfield(a) did so recently. More investigation required prior to statement!
I think what you are saying is they only leave one back, but that is when the opposition don't put anyone forward. If you read what I said is that no team has the same number of defenders as the opposition have attackers. I have seen all those teams games against us so I know they don't go one for one when defending corners
     A little more knowing what you are on about required prior to statement !   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2020, 16:08:51 pm »

Changing the subject. I thought the pitch was terrible. Rough and bobbly. What happened to the "bowling green" we used to have? I know they train on it now, is it a deliberate plan so that teams can't play football against us? Doesn't affect us as we only play in the air.

I think you might have answered your own question there
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2020, 16:17:01 pm »

terrible tactics by Curle for the umpteenth time, as for Hoskins hope it’s a three game ban the guy is utterly useless.

Hoskins made a bad mistake, but your constant barracking of him and Cornell for any mistakes they make mean your comments will hopefully not be taken seriously by anybody sensible enough to put things in perspective. Have you never noticed that other players make mistakes too (Arnold, Cornell's replacement to name one), but they never seem to get mentioned by you. Wonder why?  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2020, 16:33:02 pm »

Hoskins made a bad mistake, but your constant barracking of him and Cornell for any mistakes they make mean your comments will hopefully not be taken seriously by anybody sensible enough to put things in perspective. Have you never noticed that other players make mistakes too (Arnold, Cornell's replacement to name one), but they never seem to get mentioned by you. Wonder why?  Roll Eyes
Yes, Arnold's kicking (let's call it distribution) was shocking yesterday...and no, it wasn't the wind!

Having said that, some good assured stops made and happy to see him get some first team action under his belt.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2020, 17:47:42 pm »

I think what you are saying is they only leave one back, but that is when the opposition don't put anyone forward. If you read what I said is that no team has the same number of defenders as the opposition have attackers. I have seen all those teams games against us so I know they don't go one for one when defending corners
     A little more knowing what you are on about required prior to statement !   Wink

We do generally keep one player back and it has to be a quick one which is why Hoskins got the job. It means we've got more tall defenders in the box. Other players, McCormack in this case, sprint back as soon as a corner breaks down providing the extra cover. It does work well and it's got to be a first when fans criticise a manager for being too attacking minded.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2020, 18:33:17 pm »

We do generally keep one player back and it has to be a quick one which is why Hoskins got the job. It means we've got more tall defenders in the box. Other players, McCormack in this case, sprint back as soon as a corner breaks down providing the extra cover. It does work well and it's got to be a first when fans criticise a manager for being too attacking minded.
I'm not criticising him for being too attacking, I'm saying it's taking a big risk leaving one on one. It was the 10th minute of a game where I don't think they had been in our half, as loads have said, if it had been 11 v 11 for 90 minutes we would have, more than likely, won, so why take that risk ? If it had been in the 80th minute it might be worth the risk but not in the 10th.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2020, 18:48:42 pm »

I'm not criticising him for being too attacking, I'm saying it's taking a big risk leaving one on one. It was the 10th minute of a game where I don't think they had been in our half, as loads have said, if it had been 11 v 11 for 90 minutes we would have, more than likely, won, so why take that risk ? If it had been in the 80th minute it might be worth the risk but not in the 10th.

He didn't leave one on one, MacCormack was alongside Hoskins. I think Sam thought it would be good to launch it back into their box rather than play it square considering most were still in there. He was unlucky that it hit Charsley in such a way that it fell right in his path forward, generally they spin off harmlessly. He was a fool to then push him as I reckon Arnold had a decent chance of smothering the ball.
People have criticised MacCormack, Goode, Adams, Turnbull and Smith for antagonising the Mansfield players but apart from providing a bit of fun for us spectators it meant there was always a chance one of them would bite to even up the numbers.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2020, 19:22:25 pm »

Arnold's distribution was poor yesterday which is something Cornell used to be criticised for but has since vastly improved. Had the penalty not been given Arnold may well have smothered the ball as it had run away from the Mansfield player which made me wonder why he did not spread himself for the second goal instead of staying on his feet. He was of course totally exposed as the whole defense had gone awol.
Referees book players for time wasting but I have never seen a player waste as much time as yesterdays referee. He was constantly talking to players and took ages to get play restarted, 4 minutes were added 1st half, 6 minutes 2nd half but I reckon he wasted more than that attempting to regain control of a match that he had lost after 10 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2020, 19:56:08 pm »

Arnold's distribution was poor yesterday which is something Cornell used to be criticised for but has since vastly improved. Had the penalty not been given Arnold may well have smothered the ball as it had run away from the Mansfield player which made me wonder why he did not spread himself for the second goal instead of staying on his feet. He was of course totally exposed as the whole defense had gone awol.
Referees book players for time wasting but I have never seen a player waste as much time as yesterdays referee. He was constantly talking to players and took ages to get play restarted, 4 minutes were added 1st half, 6 minutes 2nd half but I reckon he wasted more than that attempting to regain control of a match that he had lost after 10 minutes.

Quite right, 16 minutes would have been nearer the mark 2nd half but I think we'd all had enough long before then.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2020, 19:58:38 pm »

He didn't leave one on one, MacCormack was alongside Hoskins. .
Watch the highlights, McCormack was about 5 yards from the edge of the penalty area when the corner was taken, yes he was level with Sam, but 15 yards from him, when he played the ball forward but KC DID only leave one back, have a look !
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2020, 20:02:48 pm »

Mansfield's manager may have spouted a load of bulls#@t but when he said;-

" I'm a football manager and let's be honest, I don't even know the rules of the game anymore.

"I couldn't tell you what's offside and what's not offside and I couldn't tell you what's handball and what's not handball and what's a sending off and what's not a sending off".

I think we can all agree with him there!
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2020, 20:14:09 pm »

People have criticised MacCormack, Goode, Adams, Turnbull and Smith for antagonising the Mansfield players but apart from providing a bit of fun for us spectators it meant there was always a chance one of them would bite to even up the numbers.

Rose did bite, immediately after scoring he briefly squared up to Goode and then deliberately barged into McCormack on the way back to the centre spot and pushed him over when McCormack reacted. This apparently was only worth a talking to for both of them, which just goes to show how random the referee's decision making was, whereas under today's rules it should, in fact have been a red card offence. I reckon this was got Goode and McCormack going more than the pen itself.

Did nobody else notice either how Rose upended Wharton after Wharton had latched on to a corner and sidefooted it towards goal in the second half? You can see on the highlights that the ref saw it. To be fair there weren't any complaints except from Wharton himself but it looked to me like a clear-cut penalty. Wharton had played the ball and Rose ran straight into him while he was off the ground.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2020, 20:17:26 pm »

We may only leave one player back so we have more options in the box.....but we still take two people over to the corner flag, one to take the kick and the other to do...erm...nothing!

Why not leave the one who's doing nothing back as well?!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3063

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2020, 20:40:20 pm »

We may only leave one player back so we have more options in the box.....but we still take two people over to the corner flag, one to take the kick and the other to do...erm...nothing!

Why not leave the one who's doing nothing back as well?!

He's there for the short corner if we choose that option and we do at times.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2020, 20:50:40 pm »

Rose did bite, immediately after scoring he briefly squared up to Goode and then deliberately barged into McCormack on the way back to the centre spot and pushed him over when McCormack reacted. This apparently was only worth a talking to for both of them, which just goes to show how random the referee's decision making was, whereas under today's rules it should, in fact have been a red card offence. I reckon this was got Goode and McCormack going more than the pen itself.

Did nobody else notice either how Rose upended Wharton after Wharton had latched on to a corner and sidefooted it towards goal in the second half? You can see on the highlights that the ref saw it. To be fair there weren't any complaints except from Wharton himself but it looked to me like a clear-cut penalty. Wharton had played the ball and Rose ran straight into him while he was off the ground.

I did notice and Rose should have seen red. How did the ref only manage to book ONE of their players?
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2020, 21:05:51 pm »

Watch the highlights, McCormack was about 5 yards from the edge of the penalty area when the corner was taken, yes he was level with Sam, but 15 yards from him, when he played the ball forward but KC DID only leave one back, have a look !

Splitting airs. You know as well as me Rog, this one is on Sam. I'm not saying that I agree with the tactic in principle. But the mistake by Hoskins is what resulted in the goal. And you know as well as me, that there was time and options open to Sam.

I have no axe to grind with Hoskins, he's good at what he's good at. But where Curle IS wrong, is using him as a covering defender at set pieces.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2020, 23:44:39 pm »

I was referring to your last statement  Roll Eyes ; well they did during the course of the game, not all the time tho'. Check the high lights for instance Plymouth did it twice. Also Salford did it ; both games! Were you actually at these games?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2020, 23:49:58 pm »

Always thought those Guys at Rorkes Drift took a hell of a risk in staying put!
Report Spam   Logged

guest48

« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2020, 00:00:47 am »

I was referring to your last statement  Roll Eyes ; well they did during the course of the game, not all the time tho'. Check the high lights for instance Plymouth did it twice. Also Salford did it ; both games! Were you actually at these games?                                                                                      
There is no way that Plymouth and Salford had only one man back if we had someone up whilst defending a corner. I was at all these games. I go to every game if I talk about it, I never say I'm going to a game and then don't turn up  Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: