The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:37:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Next up: Stags visit the PTS on Saturday

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next up: Stags visit the PTS on Saturday  (Read 8557 times)
super-si

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:13 am »

It may be cavalier to leave one man back at corners, but it’s wasteful to have 2 men to take the corner. Better to have the spare man in a midfield position to pick up the second ball and provide some cover!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:19:44 am by super-si » Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2020, 08:40:44 am »

It may be cavalier to leave one man back at corners, but it’s wasteful to have 2 men to take the corner. Better to have the spare man in a midfield position to pick up the second ball and provide some cover!

I think that was what happened on Saturday with the Mac tracking back.  Unfortunately, Sammy-baby chose the wrong option out of the 73 other options available to him.  Eg, keeper....or, many points of the compass into the stands......

My grandson plays a great standard of U-? level.  But, last time I watched him, I had to remind of something that was drilled in to me as a kid.....  NEVER play the ball across the front of an opposing player, wherever you are on the pitch.

If a professional player does not know that by the time they are getting paid to go on the pitch, then......  You cannot blame that on the manager.  Otherwise, the first 23 coaching sessions when a new manager arrives will be focused on making everyone understand that the round thing that the opposition kick is a "FOOT-BALL".  Duhhhh!

Respect to the previous poster, and this is not an attack on their post.  Just additional support for their argument.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2020, 10:56:33 am »

I think that was what happened on Saturday with the Mac tracking back.  Unfortunately, Sammy-baby chose the wrong option out of the 73 other options available to him.  Eg, keeper....or, many points of the compass into the stands......

My grandson plays a great standard of U-? level.  But, last time I watched him, I had to remind of something that was drilled in to me as a kid.....  NEVER play the ball across the front of an opposing player, wherever you are on the pitch.

If a professional player does not know that by the time they are getting paid to go on the pitch, then......  You cannot blame that on the manager.  Otherwise, the first 23 coaching sessions when a new manager arrives will be focused on making everyone understand that the round thing that the opposition kick is a "FOOT-BALL".  Duhhhh!

Respect to the previous poster, and this is not an attack on their post.  Just additional support for their argument.

The instruction from our coach is to boot the ball forward into the box at the earliest opportunity and not to pass it square .
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2020, 11:00:30 am »

Curle says he “ doesn’t listen to what other managers have to say “ after being accused of rugby tactics against Mansfield .
Only last week did he quote ad Infinitum Ian Holloway’s assessment of the team after we won !!
Whatever Keith
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2020, 11:38:39 am »

Curle says he “ doesn’t listen to what other managers have to say “ after being accused of rugby tactics against Mansfield .
Only last week did he quote ad Infinitum Ian Holloway’s assessment of the team after we won !!
Whatever Keith
Acknowledge praise and pass it on to the players. Reject criticism and protect the players.
Sounds like a manager i'd like to play / work for, even if I didn't agree with what i was being asked to do.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2020, 11:58:38 am »

Acknowledge praise and pass it on to the players. Reject criticism and protect the players.
Sounds like a manager i'd like to play / work for, even if I didn't agree with what i was being asked to do.

But that doesn't assist certain individuals' agenda...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2020, 13:11:54 pm »

But that doesn't assist certain individuals' agenda...

++
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 13:29:54 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3063

« Reply #167 on: March 11, 2020, 15:05:36 pm »

Whatever Keith

Is there anything Curle can do that will actually please you?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2020, 16:48:00 pm »

Is there anything Curle can do that will actually please you?
Yes , refrain from playing the worst football in all four divisions
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2020, 18:38:44 pm »

Yes , refrain from playing the worst football in all four divisions

Haha now you are having a laugh  Grin Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2020, 20:37:23 pm »

That is incorrect .
MCCormack was not back at the time of the corner - and I know because he was stood right in front of where I was sitting .
He tracked back when the corner broke down .
If you had a player back to support Hoskins , he drops off behind him to cover .
This is essentially the problem , the way we defend means there is no room for error .

Who said McCormack was back at the time of the corner?? Read what I said again. I said McCormack was next to Hoskins when he received the ball.. He ways leVel with him, ten yards (at most) to the right of him. Please try to quote me correctly. 

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2020, 08:12:33 am »

Who said McCormack was back at the time of the corner?? Read what I said again. I said McCormack was next to Hoskins when he received the ball.. He ways leVel with him, ten yards (at most) to the right of him. Please try to quote me correctly. 

The point being made was that we keep one person back for corners . This was again the issue on Saturday . McCormack was not back for the corner , he tracked back . You said Saturday did not count in terms of conceding a goal because McCormack was back . Wrong . He wasn’t .
If a player had been back , Hoskins would have had cover behind him when he attacked the ball .
Listen and learn
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2020, 10:01:30 am »

The point being made was that we keep one person back for corners . This was again the issue on Saturday . McCormack was not back for the corner , he tracked back . You said Saturday did not count in terms of conceding a goal because McCormack was back . Wrong . He wasn’t .
If a player had been back , Hoskins would have had cover behind him when he attacked the ball .
Listen and learn

At the time Hoskins played the ball McM  was level and looked pretty close. Get the impression you are playing with semantics?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2020, 10:12:29 am »

At the time Hoskins played the ball McM  was level and looked pretty close. Get the impression you are playing with semantics?
Tbh , you have either played hundreds or even thousands of games at centre half / full back or you haven’t .
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2020, 12:04:49 pm »

Tbh , you have either played hundreds or even thousands of games at centre half / full back or you haven’t .

Sunday Racecourse after a Saturday night isn't too much of a reference though...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2020, 12:21:51 pm »

Its Thursday and still going over Hoskins' blunder last Saturday? Get over it.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2020, 13:28:30 pm »

Hoskins made a mistake and got punished for it, the tactic we use leaves this scenario as a possibility, but all tactics are ultimately trying to play the percentages just like we do here. Outside of this one occasion we haven't been punished for it, during this season at least. McWilliams was usually the lone man staying back at corners last season and I can't recall being punished for it then either. If the ball had been rolled back to the keeper and he had plenty of time and options and ended up kicking it against the attacker, costing a goal, does that make passing the ball back to the keeper a poor tactic?

As to the comments by the Mansfield manager, they are some of the most bizarre I can remember from any manager post match. We have a few players who are notable for their 'antics' and gamesmanship in Goode, McCormack and Turnbull (and Smith as well, now he's back) but generally I believe we are an honest team and squad.

The behaviour from the Mansfield players from the first minute was disgraceful however. We could have had multiple penalties in the first 10-15 minutes alone as I lost count of the amount of times the player marking Morton looked like he was trying to tear his shirt off, in full view of the ref who happily let gave them free-rein to do what they wanted. As to the 'throwing themselves to the ground' comment, I struggle to remember a worse side than Mansfield for throwing themselves to the ground and pretending to be injured at every opportunity. The amount of attacks we had cut short because one of their players mysteriously went down holding their head was beyond belief. We should have had 10 minutes injury time at the end of the second half for these stoppages alone, at a bare minimum. Their managers comments are clearly projection and/or deflection away from the fact that they were the ones who turned the game into a rugby match and to a man were obviously under clear instructions to do so.

I'm astounded though at the lack of sportsmanship and class by managers in post-match interviews in general. Being gracious in victory or defeat is basic sportsmanship, or so I thought! Klopp and his 'we play 'proper' football' comments last night being a perfect example. Curle's handling of these situations is always commendable, how anyone can criticise him for that god only knows.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2020, 16:42:49 pm »

Listen and learn

I suppose that's as much of a u turn as I can expect for totally misquoting me  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2020, 17:07:11 pm »

Hoskins made a mistake and got punished for it, the tactic we use leaves this scenario as a possibility, but all tactics are ultimately trying to play the percentages just like we do here. Outside of this one occasion we haven't been punished for it, during this season at least. McWilliams was usually the lone man staying back at corners last season and I can't recall being punished for it then either. If the ball had been rolled back to the keeper and he had plenty of time and options and ended up kicking it against the attacker, costing a goal, does that make passing the ball back to the keeper a poor tactic?

As to the comments by the Mansfield manager, they are some of the most bizarre I can remember from any manager post match. We have a few players who are notable for their 'antics' and gamesmanship in Goode, McCormack and Turnbull (and Smith as well, now he's back) but generally I believe we are an honest team and squad.

The behaviour from the Mansfield players from the first minute was disgraceful however. We could have had multiple penalties in the first 10-15 minutes alone as I lost count of the amount of times the player marking Morton looked like he was trying to tear his shirt off, in full view of the ref who happily let gave them free-rein to do what they wanted. As to the 'throwing themselves to the ground' comment, I struggle to remember a worse side than Mansfield for throwing themselves to the ground and pretending to be injured at every opportunity. The amount of attacks we had cut short because one of their players mysteriously went down holding their head was beyond belief. We should have had 10 minutes injury time at the end of the second half for these stoppages alone, at a bare minimum. Their managers comments are clearly projection and/or deflection away from the fact that they were the ones who turned the game into a rugby match and to a man were obviously under clear instructions to do so.

I'm astounded though at the lack of sportsmanship and class by managers in post-match interviews in general. Being gracious in victory or defeat is basic sportsmanship, or so I thought! Klopp and his 'we play 'proper' football' comments last night being a perfect example. Curle's handling of these situations is always commendable, how anyone can criticise him for that god only knows.

Agree with all of that. Absolutely fuming coming out of Sixfields on Saturday...and more so with the utter hypocritical comments made by Coughlan.
Bizarre is a rather polite word to describe his s***e!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2020, 18:39:41 pm »

Its Thursday and still going over Hoskins' blunder last Saturday? Get over it.
How trivial this all seems now .....
Perspective has been given
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: