The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 10:51:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

As Delia would say 'WHERE ARE YOU!'

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As Delia would say 'WHERE ARE YOU!'  (Read 1512 times)
guest3264

Badges: (View All)
« on: March 10, 2020, 05:17:26 am »

I speak as someone who enjoys reading the opinions of a range of Cobblers fans BUT the number of contributors has polarised to the regular few!

The number of fans I have spoken to who say 'I used to enjoy the hotelend' but a few abusive contributors, who bravely hide behind a keyboard, have driven the intelligence of the debate down!

You need a diverse quantity of fans to provide a quality of debate. One still might not come up with any answers but it might make fans think more deeply.

Suggestion; could it be that contributors do not have a handle but simply, like Steve Riches', use their name. Therefore if it is your opinion be proud of it and it might decrease the abusive cowardly postings.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Why?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 07:03:12 am »

Well said.

I have been and gone, and been and gone.  There is such bile posted by certain "regulars" against new "posters" on here, that I would rather support Peterborough than talk to some of the nipples on here in real life!

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 07:45:00 am »

You still get the repetitive silly and sometimes abusive posts on Facebook forums, and people use their real names there.
Agree that this site has lost its way, mainly because of the antics of certain posters. Former users have said as much on Facebook.

When this site had dozens of posts a day we also had Sixfields Boys running alongside which was far less busy....this site is now as busy as that one was then....

Where is everyone? I don’t know! But other similar sized clubs seem to have messageboards which are far far busier than ours.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3359

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 09:02:20 am »

If you look on here, twitter and facebook you will see the type of post get more positive / less aggressive as the level of anonymity reduces.
I also have left a couple of times due to the same posters repeating the same rubbish, but i cant keep away from reading and sometimes the posts are enough to get me on and engage in the bile. Even now, i know within 3-4 posts the same people will be on, with the same reasons and blaming the same people.
There are a lot of positives to this site, and I enjoy reading the different opinions of matches and players. Its fascinating how we can all watch the same game but see different things. Even posts about how the latest manager is performing and the inevitable in/out votes and discussions. Thats what forums should be about, and used to be. All of us with our own view of the club but ultimately wanting the same outcome. 3 points, entertainment and the odd sucess.
This forum has become victim to the same issues as lots of other things in society, the erosion of opinion into facts and alternative facts and a level of expectation that is unfounded. All my opinions of course.

One way to get this forum back on track would be to lock the redevelopment thread. That is our Brexit.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 09:12:18 am »

If you look on here, twitter and facebook you will see the type of post get more positive / less aggressive as the level of anonymity reduces.
I also have left a couple of times due to the same posters repeating the same rubbish, but i cant keep away from reading and sometimes the posts are enough to get me on and engage in the bile. Even now, i know within 3-4 posts the same people will be on, with the same reasons and blaming the same people.
There are a lot of positives to this site, and I enjoy reading the different opinions of matches and players. Its fascinating how we can all watch the same game but see different things. Even posts about how the latest manager is performing and the inevitable in/out votes and discussions. Thats what forums should be about, and used to be. All of us with our own view of the club but ultimately wanting the same outcome. 3 points, entertainment and the odd sucess.
This forum has become victim to the same issues as lots of other things in society, the erosion of opinion into facts and alternative facts and a level of expectation that is unfounded. All my opinions of course.

One way to get this forum back on track would be to lock the redevelopment thread. That is our Brexit.

Good post.   Wink
We can't lock the ReDev thread, don't worry we have thought about it many times.  However the thread is our Room 101, it helps to protect other threads from being infected by the same repeated and regurgitated posts...Cue someone to add another repeated and regurgitated post.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest49

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 11:04:08 am »

Surely it is more of a case that the world has moved on. App based social media is far more accessible and used than the 'old' forum platform.
There just seems no room for balance online anymore. Every opinion has to be so polarised, whether that is about Brexit, the Coronavirus or the Cobblers. A sizeable amount of users of any platform rarely present a true representation of who they are, or add value to any genuine debate. I often think how (even) stranger the world would be if people walked around talking like they do online!
Lovely ol' Evers giving us a running commentary on everything said.

I still enjoy reading what is posted here and you quickly learn which conversations and threads to avoid.   
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 11:17:25 am »

.........  Lovely ol' Evers giving us a running commentary on everything said.

I still enjoy reading what is posted here and you quickly learn which conversations and threads to avoid.   

Not sure if you are correct and is somewhat pretentious!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest48

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 11:28:29 am »

On the Trust's new, all singing & dancing, web page there is now a Forum section, open to all but you must register with your real name.

https://www.ntfctrust.co.uk/

Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 11:43:52 am »

Not sure if you are correct and is somewhat pretentious!

Grin  Grin Thank you...'Ever' reliable.
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 11:45:11 am »

If there was a "like" option, this post would get my vote.  A well constructed argument, and a point of view which matches my own, if only I had these words in that order!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 12:27:07 pm »

I am wondering if the "Report as Spam" button has any effect!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 12:43:44 pm »

I am wondering if the "Report as Spam" button has any effect!  Wink

Please clarify?
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 12:50:11 pm »

?
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 12:56:13 pm »

Please clarify?

As you can see, there's a "report Spam" button at the bottom of every post on here. I often report posts that I feel don't add anything at all to the conversation, in fact sometimes are most unhelpful and have succeeded in bringing this site to the position that it is in today.

Just my opinion of course.....its all subjective.

Gems such as this one in the Stags thread..... "The sooner you become our Manager the better the team will become" add nothing to the conversation and therefore get reported by me!

Clarified?
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 12:59:27 pm »

You still get the repetitive silly and sometimes abusive posts on Facebook forums, and people use their real names there.
Agree that this site has lost its way, mainly because of the antics of certain posters. Former users have said as much on Facebook.

When this site had dozens of posts a day we also had Sixfields Boys running alongside which was far less busy....this site is now as busy as that one was then....

Where is everyone? I don’t know! But other similar sized clubs seem to have messageboards which are far far busier than ours.

Interesting comment on other message boards; can you consider please advising an example(s) of  your investigation?
Report Spam   Logged

guest3359

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 13:41:50 pm »

That didn't take long did it. 
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 13:43:40 pm »

When you get certain posters that believe their opinion is the only one that counts, then people get bored of reading the same replies ' you don't know what you are talking about'  'hes been picked regularly by 4 sh!t managers so he must be good enough '
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 13:53:05 pm »

When you get certain posters that believe their opinion is the only one that counts, then people get bored of reading the same replies ' you don't know what you are talking about'  'hes been picked regularly by 4 sh!t managers so he must be good enough '

Classic irony of that comment!
Report Spam   Logged

Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 13:57:32 pm »

Classic irony of that comment!

Easy pickings , you my friend are in my opinion THE most irritating poster on here, and may well be the reason so many give up posting .
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 14:00:06 pm »

As you can see, there's a "report Spam" button at the bottom of every post on here. I often report posts that I feel don't add anything at all to the conversation, in fact sometimes are most unhelpful and have succeeded in bringing this site to the position that it is in today.

Just my opinion of course.....its all subjective.

Gems such as this one in the Stags thread..... "The sooner you become our Manager the better the team will become" add nothing to the conversation and therefore get reported by me!

Clarified?

Never used the spam button - live and let live for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: