The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 11:13:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Memorable Performances

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorable Performances  (Read 1714 times)
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« on: March 13, 2020, 22:57:33 pm »

There's no football to enjoy/endure for 3 weeks so I'm writing a piece for the next fanzine compiling a Cobblers XI based on one off memorable performances. A player could have played 100's of great games for us but I'm trying to select an XI where I remember a special performance/moment that gets a certain player into the team. So, for instance one of my strikers will be Pat Gavin for his very memorable winning goal off his backside to keep us in the Football League in 1993. I think I want Neal Kitson in goal for a performance where my memory is less clear - I think it was a Friday night game where he saved a penalty and near on everyone in the stadium was singing USA, USA. Does anyone else remember that and can tell me the exact match please?
And of course, give me your other memorable performances that could get a player into the XI.
Just a supplementary question - do people read the fanzine? I've been doing a themed Cobblers XI for a number of months now which has been good fun and challenging for my mind recalling the 34 years I've now been watching the Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 10:30:56 am »

So many!
0-3 win at CPalace - Holton 3 ! About 1963
3-1 Loss at Millwall 1961 famous for boxing match Gale v Howarth
0-5 Win at Brighton Large and Kurila tremendous
Win against Arsenal 1958?
Holmes winners against Luton and Stevenage
Marquis goal against Oxford
Richards pen against Oxford
Bunns point blank save v Doncaster
Frains 93rd winner
All Richard Hills goals
Mad Michelle giving it large at Port Vale as was O’Donovans thunderbolt goal
Tony’s goal at Dagenham.  Not there - ill
Harvey saving 2 pens v Southampton
Smiths headed goal v Stevenage
Cobbs fans behind goal at Burton 2019 dancing to music played when Burton scorer!
Many many more and can’t remember the bad old days
Upsetting a waitress at Sheffield 21st Cent

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:08:07 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 11:24:05 am »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The singularly greatest performance in a Cobblers shirt ever was by Eddie McGoldrick, Cambridge away 86-87. 2-0 down at half time we won 3-2 with some cracking individual performances. Eddie absolutely tormented the full back on the right wing in the second half. Every time he took the bloke on (which happened to be right in front of us) we were singing “Eddie, Eddie”. Honestly, the ability on display for what was a fourth division player at that time was unbelievable. Little wonder he went on to play for Arsenal and the Republic of Ireland. I accept I haven’t seen every performance by every player in a Cobblers shirt, but as Brian Clough would have said “who cares”. An absolute privilege to be there and without question my greatest moment as a supporter. It still has the capacity to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I think about it even now, over 30 years later. Thank you Eddie, I still love you!
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 12:32:53 pm »

Heggs against Bristol Rovers. Socks down masterclass. "Three one and you fcuked it up"
David Seal against Bristol City, Woody took a goal kick, Seal trapped it, turned and volleyed it from the half way line. Goalie never stood a chance, watching it cannon off of the crossbar and over. Stunned silence from everybody, before applause from both sets of fans.
Marc Richards banging four in away at Macclesfield.
Sammo scuffing the ball in away at Peterboro. Delirium in the away end. And I got soaked on the way home. Didnt do my sheepskin flying jacket any good.
JJ with one turn, bemusing the entire midfield away at Oxford a couple of years ago.

And if you want to extend the perimeters of the subject, Ginolas superb performance for Spurs in the cup, on a very wet tuesday night, and the beer fight in the away bar at MK.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3338

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 13:06:46 pm »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The singularly greatest performance in a Cobblers shirt ever was by Eddie McGoldrick, Cambridge away 86-87. 2-0 down at half time we won 3-2 with some cracking individual performances. Eddie absolutely tormented the full back on the right wing in the second half. Every time he took the bloke on (which happened to be right in front of us) we were singing “Eddie, Eddie”. Honestly, the ability on display for what was a fourth division player at that time was unbelievable. Little wonder he went on to play for Arsenal and the Republic of Ireland. I accept I haven’t seen every performance by every player in a Cobblers shirt, but as Brian Clough would have said “who cares”. An absolute privilege to be there and without question my greatest moment as a supporter. It still has the capacity to make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I think about it even now, over 30 years later. Thank you Eddie, I still love you!
Better then John Hodge then?!
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 13:38:48 pm »

The single best individual performance I've ever seen in the flesh was at Sixfields - a Marco Gabbiadini masterclass. Sadly he was playing for Darlo at the time but he was awesome that day.

Team performance has to be the second leg of the Playoff semi against Bristol. Nothing has ever come close to that night for spectacle, excitement or atmosphere. And I'll never know what Clarkson was doing in that position in the first place...
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 14:59:45 pm »

Gabbiadini away to Cardiff
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 16:44:11 pm »

The single best individual performance I've ever seen in the flesh was at Sixfields - a Marco Gabbiadini masterclass. Sadly he was playing for Darlo at the time but he was awesome that day.
Theres only two times that I have given a standing ovation for an away player. David Ginola for Spurs, and Marco (fat arse and falls down very easy) for Darlo. They were both superb.

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 18:09:09 pm »

I remember quite a few people applauding Jermaine Beckford when he was substituted following a hat trick for Leeds against us in the FA Cup. It was well deserved.
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 18:15:13 pm »

Lee Nicholls' penalty save at Cheltenham. Later found out he had researched their penalties, and was confident he could stop it.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 19:17:34 pm »

Lee Nicholls' penalty save at Cheltenham. Later found out he had researched their penalties, and was confident he could stop it.
Front row of the upper tier west stand, against the Mancs in the cup. Penalty awarded to the red scum, and Lee Lee Lee harper saves it.
I went over the barrier in front , and crashed on the floor. I never did find my wristwatch.. Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 19:55:08 pm »

I went over the barrier in front , and crashed on the floor. I never did find my wristwatch.. Grin
Bet it was a Rolex? Probably able to tell the time simultaneously in New York, Paris and Gstaad? Never see a painter & decorator on a push bike do you Kid? 💰💰💰💰💰
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 20:38:29 pm »

Steve 'Whoosh' Terry not noted for his subtlety scoring with an exquisite chip over the keeper at the Hotel End.
At the same end Ian Benjamin nutmegged a defender right on the byline before scoring.
The first glimpse of Kyle Walker's pace and the sound of jaws dropping all around the ground.
Michael Jacobs twisting and turning against (I think) Bristol Rovers, the newly arrived sub ended up on his arse trying to keep up with Crackers and immediately left the field injured!
Richard Hill and Trevor Morley....enough said Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 20:58:54 pm »

Ian Benjamin's last ever Cobblers goal, v Chesterfield (including his brother Tristan). An absolute screamer into the top corner.
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 21:07:03 pm »

That Holmes goal at orient, best ive seen live anywhere. Keith Welch, just to see him drop his shoulder and send attackers the wrong way. Rico v Macclesfield that time he scored 4.Sean Parish V Brighton years ago, spent the whole game winding up Warren Aspinall. he scored and ran to the empty end at the Withdean cupping his ear
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 22:54:50 pm »

Some really good memories there. Yeah, Haggs v Bristol Rovers was special. I've got Marc Richards in for his 4 goal haul. I like the Eddie one. Trevor Morley scored a pearler in that Cambridge game too.
There are so many special moments. A few more on the goals front,, Paul Culpin's Marco Van Basten style volley vs Fulham at the CG in 1988, Tony Adcock's chip over the Sunderland keeper away also in 1988. Jamie Forrester vs Brentford opening day I think over the shoulder volley. Martin Aldridge, the first goal at Sixfields. Neil 'Larry' Grayson's 4 minute hatrick in 1997. Kevin Wilkin's first minute screamer vs Chester, first-last game at the CG.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 23:40:27 pm »

Steve Berry vs Cov in the FA cup, 8000 in the hotel end.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 08:19:11 am »

Bet it was a Rolex? Probably able to tell the time simultaneously in New York, Paris and Gstaad? Never see a painter & decorator on a push bike do you Kid? 💰💰💰💰💰
Nah it was just some cheap siht. Just for time keeping purposes, thats all. I am not into this ostentatious lark.
And by the way, I am not a painter, and I phucking hate cyclists.  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 08:43:47 am »

Bath away. we are getting soaked in the away end, and Steve (Whoosh ) Terry boots it into the gutter of the main stand. Down comes the gutter,and soaks everybody underneath. I have to admit, that I did laugh a lot.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 09:29:25 am »

Nah it was just some cheap siht. Just for time keeping purposes, thats all. I am not into this ostentatious lark.
And by the way, I am not a painter, and I phucking hate cyclists.  Grin Grin
I’m feeling I have completely formed the wrong impression on a number of levels?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: