The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 12:26:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Poll - taking a Season Ticket refund?

Poll
Question: If the season is cancelled, will you request a Season Ticket refund?
Yes - 11 (13.9%)
No - 68 (86.1%)
Total Voters: 71

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll - taking a Season Ticket refund?  (Read 8995 times)
CobblerForever

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2020, 10:42:14 am »

It was a great place, I was gutted when Pistols gig was cancelled. The Damned played there they were absolutely all over the place (amazing) with Captain sensible wearing cricket pads! Also The Heartbreakers gig springs to mind, led by the late great Johnny Thunders. Very brave of Ken Turner who I believe was Chairman/Secretary  and the committee to go with these bands at that time. Anarchy in Northampton!

Were these gigs in the space under the main stand ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2020, 11:25:51 am »

Magazine in the Guildhall!
Report Spam   Logged
Fizzy

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2020, 13:00:09 pm »

Yes these gigs took place under the main stand in what was then the indoor cricket school. Saw a few bands there, ones that spring to mind are ELO, The Tourists (became Eurythmics) and all girl punk band The Slits who only did a short set due to one of them being pregnant apparently. Seem to recall the Rich Kids (Glen Matlock) but not 100 percent sure on that one.
Sex Pistols were booked but cancelled and remember a rumour that they managed to blag a few support slots at other venues under the name The Spots. Not sure if true tho.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 14:53:22 pm by Fizzy » Report Spam   Logged

An abyss that laughs at creation
A circus complete with all fools
Foundations that lasted the ages
Then ripped apart at their roots
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2020, 13:40:54 pm »

Yes these gigs take place under the main stand in what was then the indoor cricket school. Saw a few bands there, ones that spring to mind are ELO, The Tourists (became Eurythmics) and all girl punk band The Slits who only did a short set due to one of them being pregnant apparently. Seem to recall the Rich Kids (Glen Matlock) but not 100 percent sure on that one.
Sex Pistols were booked but cancelled and remember a rumour that they managed to blag a few support slots at other venues under the name The Spots. Not sure if true tho.

They should put a plaque up of all the bands who've played there. It would be quite a list of a very lively era of musical creativity. Perhaps there is one and I just haven't noticed it.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2020, 16:05:38 pm »

Don't forget the County Ground! I was trying hard to remember the bands I had seen there the other day. It remains a bit hazy but I do recall Gong, Wayne County, Doctors of Madness and nearly the Sex Pistols but it was cancelled at the last minute so I saw K.C. & The Sunshine Band give a hell of a performance at the Drill Hall instead!

A friend of mine was working on the door at the K.C. Drill Hall gig and turned away someone who claimed to be with the band because 'You're too scruffy you ain't coming in looking like that' Then it was pointed out that it wouldn't be much of show coz the scruffy individual was the lead singer!
Report Spam   Logged
Fizzy

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2020, 16:44:03 pm »

The Smiths and James at the Derngate.
Report Spam   Logged

Fizzy

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2020, 17:07:36 pm »

I remember the Charlotte in Leicester not because I went to any gigs there but as I went to the college at the other end of Newark Street. Used to go in lunchtimes for a pint and game of darts/pool.
Used to do block release apprenticeship at the college and our wages were paid (folding money back then) on a thursday, so off we would pop to Hmv in the Haymarket and Revolver records on market square.
Built up a decent vinyl collection during that period.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2020, 18:16:11 pm »

Yes these gigs took place under the main stand in what was then the indoor cricket school. Saw a few bands there, ones that spring to mind are ELO, The Tourists (became Eurythmics) and all girl punk band The Slits who only did a short set due to one of them being pregnant apparently. Seem to recall the Rich Kids (Glen Matlock) but not 100 percent sure on that one.

Sex Pistols cancelled because John Lydon had a sore throat. Much of the band and connections were at The Regent - or whatever it was called at the time - that night.
Report Spam   Logged
Fizzy

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2020, 19:58:07 pm »

Not aware that The Pistols were in town that night. I always thought Ken Turner was told to pull the plug on the gig by the local plod after the spat on the Bill Grundy show.
Anyway.. whatever the reason shame they didnt get to showcase their thunder  Sad

Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2020, 20:13:12 pm »

All this chat about gigs and unheard of musicians; it’s about a million miles away from thread subject. In any case the Rolling Stones dwarfs all yr Suzies with contemptuous ease. Petula Clark was good too singing ‘Down Town’ to the hotel end in the golden years.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3086

« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2020, 20:45:04 pm »

The Stones were only any good when Mick Taylor was in the band. How can these guys be 'unheard of' when we have heard of them,  punk?
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2020, 20:58:40 pm »

Not aware that The Pistols were in town that night. I always thought Ken Turner was told to pull the plug on the gig by the local plod after the spat on the Bill Grundy show.
Anyway.. whatever the reason shame they didnt get to showcase their thunder  :

I must admit it was only what I heard at the time.
Tom Robinson Band, Status Quo, Vinegar Joe, The Damned, The Heartbreakers and weirdly Velvet Underground were a few of the long list at The County.
Report Spam   Logged
Fizzy

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2020, 20:59:22 pm »

So back on track. No chance I would seek a refund, however... If lets say their are people out there with family season tickets and they are short of income in these difficult times, I would like to think the club would be understanding if they were to seek a refund.
Regarding the musicians... Have a listen to BBC Radio 6 Music.. Might just enlighten you from the mainstream. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Fizzy

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2020, 21:00:36 pm »

Wizard also played there  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

guest3086

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2020, 21:14:49 pm »

I must admit it was only what I heard at the time.
Tom Robinson Band, Status Quo, Vinegar Joe, The Damned, The Heartbreakers and weirdly Velvet Underground were a few of the long list at The County.

Yes, December 9th 1972. Velvet Underground played the County Ground. Incredible.
Report Spam   Logged
Fizzy

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2020, 21:17:33 pm »

Just to explain my knowledge about these gigs a little, my dad was groundsman at the cricket ground around this era. He and my elder brother worked the bar for these nights. I was 14/15 at the time and got some pocket money washing up behind the bar. I remember Ken Turner refusing to pay The Slits for their short set. Massive barney but reduced fee agreed.. All in cash of course.. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2020, 22:22:06 pm »

The Stones were only any good when Mick Taylor was in the band. How can these guys be 'unheard of' when we have heard of them,  punk?

You are so classy - real old music snob!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2020, 23:57:04 pm »

One that I forgot about, was The Cockney Rejects at the Guildhall. It was full of skinnyheads, all wearing braces and cherry red Doc Marten boots. I left before the end, as there was an evil atmosphere brewing.
Some good nights at the Roadmender as well. Hothouse Flowers springs to mind.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3338

« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2020, 10:41:10 am »

One that I forgot about, was The Cockney Rejects at the Guildhall. It was full of skinnyheads, all wearing braces and cherry red Doc Marten boots. I left before the end, as there was an evil atmosphere brewing.
That whole Oi movement (the Rejects were probably the main protagonists, but the Upstarts were much better) was very misunderstood. It started as a football based culture protesting at what it saw as the then arthouse punk scene. It wasnt political at all, but was hijacked by Neo Nazis who wanted to adopt it as their own. What they didnt reckon on was the bands and their original supporters fighting back Grin The press got a hold of this turning it into something it wasn't, and the next thing that happens is some ethnic minorities are joining in fighting with the british movement and Oi.
That cultimated with the battle of Birmingham which effectively put a stop to Oi bands touring and playing live.
As well losing my dad, my sisters ex just recently lost his fight with cancer. His bleach patch denim Upstarts jacket from that time was placed on his coffin and went with him!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2020, 12:33:39 pm »

Some good nights at the Roadmender as well. Hothouse Flowers springs to mind.
With their loyal West Ham contingent following them around the country. Think it went off badly in particular at a gig in Huddersfield!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: