The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:25:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Memorable Performances

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memorable Performances  (Read 1695 times)
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 10:45:28 am »

I’m feeling I have completely formed the wrong impression on a number of levels?
Yep. No hard feelings though. Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 20:31:46 pm »

December 1963 playing in baseball boots on a frozen County Ground and beating Sunderland 5-1 in Division 2. This was the season before we got promoted to the Division 1, we had already won 2-0 at Sunderland and they were promoted that season.
George Hudson scoring against Leeds in Division 1 from a clearance from our 'keeper, Jackie Charlton came to meet the ball and badly misjudged it and it bounced over his head. Hudson who had ran towards the Leeds goal collected the ball and went on to slot it past Gary Sprake.
Our first win in Division 1 which was against West Ham. Everybody says what a great sportsman Bobby Moore was, well he wasn't that day.
Being 2-0 down after 82 minutes against the mighty Northwich Victoria and then scoring 3 times in 4 minutes to win. This also being memorable as it was the day the pub burnt down.
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 05:02:59 am »

December 1963 playing in baseball boots on a frozen County Ground and beating Sunderland 5-1 in Division 2. This was the season before we got promoted to the Division 1, we had already won 2-0 at Sunderland and they were promoted that season.
George Hudson scoring against Leeds in Division 1 from a clearance from our 'keeper, Jackie Charlton came to meet the ball and badly misjudged it and it bounced over his head. Hudson who had ran towards the Leeds goal collected the ball and went on to slot it past Gary Sprake.
Our first win in Division 1 which was against West Ham. Everybody says what a great sportsman Bobby Moore was, well he wasn't that day.
Being 2-0 down after 82 minutes against the mighty Northwich Victoria and then scoring 3 times in 4 minutes to win. This also being memorable as it was the day the pub burnt down.

Respect to you, from me, someone who wasn't able to attend....  but, I read the reports avidly in neighbours' cast-off Chrons & Green-'Uns of the day.

Do you remember that night against Gillingham in the FA Cup, before we played Villa? Frankie Belfon?  And that Frank Rankmore goal v Tranmere in front of a packed Hotel End, before we played Man Utd?
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 12:55:20 pm »

Why, yes recall the Gillingham game but not the goal scorers. It was a replay that we won 3-2 after a 1-1 draw at Gillingham. Mark Walters scored a rather good goal for Aston Villa when they beat us 1-0 in the 3rd round.
It would be amiss not to mention the great Joe Kiernan for many memorable performances in the top divisions.It often appeared that the ball was tied to his boot as he had such control over it. Everton offered £60,000 for him which was a considerable sum in those days.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 19:12:32 pm »

One of my favourite ever footballing moments was away at Grimsby on the last day of Calderwood's promotion winning season. They needed a win to join us in the autos and were leading for most of the match. Deep into stoppage time there was a bit of a melee in their area, the ball was cleared and the ref blew his whistle. It was mayhem as they celebrated their promotion and a guy at the side of the pitch opened a huge bag full of black and white balloons that began to fill the sky above the stadium.

Then the ref pointed to the corner. The ball sailed in and Ryan Gilligan tucked it away. I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal as madly in my life as the memory came back into my head of the Grimsby fan who saw my Cobblers shirt and said "you might have the support but we have the team" as we passed each other leaving Wembley. I mean, he was right and the truth hurts. It just doesn't hurt as much as a last minute equaliser.  Evil

And if I live to be a hundred, I'll never forget the image of that guy trying to close the bag of balloons before they all escaped...
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 21:35:15 pm »

One of my favourite ever footballing moments was away at Grimsby on the last day of Calderwood's promotion winning season. They needed a win to join us in the autos and were leading for most of the match. Deep into stoppage time there was a bit of a melee in their area, the ball was cleared and the ref blew his whistle. It was mayhem as they celebrated their promotion and a guy at the side of the pitch opened a huge bag full of black and white balloons that began to fill the sky above the stadium.

Then the ref pointed to the corner. The ball sailed in and Ryan Gilligan tucked it away. I don't think I've ever celebrated a goal as madly in my life as the memory came back into my head of the Grimsby fan who saw my Cobblers shirt and said "you might have the support but we have the team" as we passed each other leaving Wembley. I mean, he was right and the truth hurts. It just doesn't hurt as much as a last minute equaliser.  Evil

And if I live to be a hundred, I'll never forget the image of that guy trying to close the bag of balloons before they all escaped...
I was there that day, it got very tasty outside I seem to remember.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 22:18:11 pm »

I do remember that. It was one of the funniest things I've seen as a Cobblers fan. The only downside was that we didn't get a chance to see our promotion winning heroes after the game due to the pitch invasion and general ugly feeling. The players had to slope off. Am I right in thinking Grimsby lost in the play offs and then relegated out of the League altogether within a year or two of that?
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 22:20:04 pm »

Stil hoping someone can recall the game I referred to re. Neil Kitson and the penalty save. Thanks
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 22:56:03 pm »

I was there that day, it got very tasty outside I seem to remember.
I took a mate from Germany to that one with me. I've never forgotten the look of horror on his face as we exited the stadium.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 23:29:33 pm »

May 7th 2006, my 50th birthday. Chauffeured to and back from the game, wife had marquee put in the garden for a party in the evening. Good Day!
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 00:14:49 am »

There's no football to enjoy/endure for 3 weeks so I'm writing a piece for the next fanzine compiling a Cobblers XI based on one off memorable performances. A player could have played 100's of great games for us but I'm trying to select an XI where I remember a special performance/moment that gets a certain player into the team. So, for instance one of my strikers will be Pat Gavin for his very memorable winning goal off his backside to keep us in the Football League in 1993. I think I want Neal Kitson in goal for a performance where my memory is less clear - I think it was a Friday night game where he saved a penalty and near on everyone in the stadium was singing USA, USA. Does anyone else remember that and can tell me the exact match please?
And of course, give me your other memorable performances that could get a player into the XI.
Just a supplementary question - do people read the fanzine? I've been doing a themed Cobblers XI for a number of months now which has been good fun and challenging for my mind recalling the 34 years I've now been watching the Cobblers.

Neal Kitson - does this help ?

However, in late January 2012 he exercised an escape clause in his contract and signed with Northampton Town of the English Football League Two on a free transfer.[10]
He made his debut on 31 March against Crewe Alexandra, and with the scores tied at one each, saved a stoppage time penalty to secure a draw.[11] In his second match on 6 April, Kitson again saved a penalty during Northampton's 2–1 win over Oxford United.[12]
He had his contract with the club terminated and returned home for personal family reasons in August 2012.

From Wikipedia
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 22:24:58 pm »

Neal Kitson - does this help ?

However, in late January 2012 he exercised an escape clause in his contract and signed with Northampton Town of the English Football League Two on a free transfer.[10]
He made his debut on 31 March against Crewe Alexandra, and with the scores tied at one each, saved a stoppage time penalty to secure a draw.[11] In his second match on 6 April, Kitson again saved a penalty during Northampton's 2–1 win over Oxford United.[12]
He had his contract with the club terminated and returned home for personal family reasons in August 2012.

From Wikipedia

Yes, it will have been the Oxford game. Thanks very much.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: