The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 18:42:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

How to end the Season.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to end the Season.....  (Read 16063 times)
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 16:53:52 pm »

Beans on crackers is a great idea. I have knocked up a few concoctions over the last few days, but never thought about that option. In the meantime, I am off to knock up fish finger and horseradish sandwiches.
Hows things downunder? I hope that the fires havent left too much damage.
All the fires were about 3 hours drive away Kid. We had the odd little local flare up but they sorted those fairly quickly. I suspect things here are a bit the same as those up top? Going a bit stir crazy, and starting to eat stuff we haven’t had in years? Anyone else had corned beef hash yet? We should have a recipe of the day? Knocked up a chicken curry a la UK Chinese take away stylie the other day with egg fried rice. Been craving it for some reason? Made it with Bisto curry sauce granules what they had on the British food shelf at Woolworths. Pretty good impersonation if I say so meself?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 19:17:50 pm »

All the fires were about 3 hours drive away Kid. We had the odd little local flare up but they sorted those fairly quickly. I suspect things here are a bit the same as those up top? Going a bit stir crazy, and starting to eat stuff we haven’t had in years? Anyone else had corned beef hash yet? We should have a recipe of the day? Knocked up a chicken curry a la UK Chinese take away stylie the other day with egg fried rice. Been craving it for some reason? Made it with Bisto curry sauce granules what they had on the British food shelf at Woolworths. Pretty good impersonation if I say so meself?

Paps …. mango chutney Huh?  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 21:23:12 pm »

Paps …. mango chutney Huh?  Tongue

Shaps? Honey beef quarantine?👯
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 21:00:31 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/football-season-postponed-indefinitely-efl-2528781

Suspended indefinitely, but with the intention of completing the season whenever it's safe to start again.
I still believe that we won't see professional competitive football prior to Christmas...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 21:02:09 pm by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 22:03:25 pm »

Today would have been the last regular home game. Big crowd, play off 6 pointer against Bradford. Come 4.55pm we'd have been on the pitch celebrating our play-off place, carrying Keith Curle off the pitch on our shoulders.
I wonder if we'll get that day? Imagine football behind closed doors. Not very exciting is it? Sme very tough decisions to be made with none of them ideal.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 12:52:14 pm »

Today would have been the last regular home game. Big crowd, play off 6 pointer against Bradford. Come 4.55pm we'd have been on the pitch celebrating our play-off place, carrying Keith Curle off the pitch on our shoulders.
I wonder if we'll get that day? Imagine football behind closed doors. Not very exciting is it? Sme very tough decisions to be made with none of them ideal.

We'll miss the atmosphere of the crowd but gain from clearly hearing exchanges of instructions/views between players, officials, managers and coaches.

I'm used to the relative quiet at a county cricket 4 day match but I guess we're used to that.

I think Golf might be improved. No more using paths worn down by crowds or the crowd being used as ball locators.

Improved use of cameras on IFollow would be beneficial. It's a little limited at present.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 13:02:27 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/football-season-postponed-indefinitely-efl-2528781

Suspended indefinitely, but with the intention of completing the season whenever it's safe to start again.
I still believe that we won't see professional competitive football prior to Christmas...

The performers are so concerned that Arsenal players are prepared to sign for a 15% pay cut and Chelsea 10% allegedly.

The rest of the population......……………...
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2020, 13:18:32 pm »

It's troubling but you can't help thinking that at some point the complications with finishing the season is going to be too much and cancelling it will become the pragmatic option.
No club will admit it right now but it's going to appeal to virtually all those without the possibility of promotion.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 13:31:46 pm »

They could always just test everybody likely to be involved in the match day (players, management, officials) and keep them all quarantined away and play the games behind closed doors. Presumablly there must be some issue with this or they might have thought about doing it already
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2020, 13:42:28 pm »

It's troubling but you can't help thinking that at some point the complications with finishing the season is going to be too much and cancelling it will become the pragmatic option.
No club will admit it right now but it's going to appeal to virtually all those without the possibility of promotion.

So how do the likes of West Brom and Leeds get compensated for missing out on the Premier League revenue? Who would have played in "the richest game of football", the Championship playoff Final, which is worth an estimated £300m to the winner? Even lower down the leagues, how do you work out how much Coventry and Rotherham are due?

As for relegation, do you give everyone another years parachute payments? Do Stevenage get another year in the league whilst Barrow stay non league?

Do Tottenham get another season in the Champions League despite currently being 8th in the table, whilst Leicester in 3rd don't? Even Manchester United.......will they roll over and allow the season to be deemed null and void?

There would have to be some sort of vote........ and too many have too much to lose!

There will be so many legal arguments both ways, hence the desire to finish the season, even if it is behind closed doors. Of course they have to do something as technically half the players could be out of contract in six weeks time!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
guest3338

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2020, 13:49:07 pm »

They could always just test everybody likely to be involved in the match day (players, management, officials) and keep them all quarantined away and play the games behind closed doors. Presumablly there must be some issue with this or they might have thought about doing it already
Whereabouts in the queue for testing are professional footballers then, and whereabouts should they be?
Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2020, 14:01:55 pm »

And those with unsettled bets on The Cobblers winning the league.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2020, 15:35:04 pm »

Not sure about that but I went big on liverpool. More modest on eba and Portsmouth and yes a 5 lucky 15  including the cobblers!
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2020, 16:35:52 pm »

Whereabouts in the queue for testing are professional footballers then, and whereabouts should they be?
If they're paying money to a private lab they can be as far up as they want to be
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest3086

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2020, 16:51:00 pm »

With a bang.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 16:57:06 pm »

Too many players are out of contract in June. What do teams do? If you extend the contract until the end of the season (whenever that is) then its going to cost you money that you had not placed in your budget. Presumably, there will be no season ticket sales, as we dont know when the next season will start. Hopefully not, but I can see teams like Accrington and Maccelsfield folding.
As an aside, I noted that the Trusts offer of financial assistance to the club was declined. Further proof that the current owners just want to squeeze the life out of them, and do not want them involved. Cue a very long and predictable paragraph, from the Bedfordshire plasterer. But hey-ho, there you go. Can anybody tell that I am bored out of head?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 17:33:38 pm »

Not sure if you were being sarcastic but:
Will that include the cooks, cleaners, reporters, cameramen, sound engineers, bus/truck drivers and everyone else involved in the sustainment of, travelling to/from, playing and transmitting of the games?
Plus, where will the medical staff be sourced from when they are currently all hands to the COVID-19 pumps?

When one of the quarantined group shows signs, that'll put the kybosh on that group competing for the next 14 days at least.

Times all that by 46 each match day/weekend and you get the scale of the problem.

Football, in my opinion, isn't that important and those that think it is are not in the real world that the rest of us are currently living AND working in...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2934

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2020, 07:00:09 am »

It's without doubt that I have hugged one or two of you, you've possibly hugged me too over the years. x

Don't panic, nothing recently! Safely a long way back at Dagenham and turncoat Toneys day out, so sadly for me I've not enjoyed one of your hugs of joy since.

The sheer ecstasy we collectively feel when the ball smacks the back of the net puts us in a special group of nigh on strangers willing to get all luvvy for a few seconds. Grabbing strangers, like dogging, is off the menu for a while at least.

It was said yesterday that distancing will have to continue, possibly into next year, and this is my point, mass gatherings surely will not be possible for the foreseeable future. If they do try to end the season, it's behind closed doors, maybe the start of the next season will be closed too?  The Champions League also prematurely stated yesterday they intend to start in August, to empty UK stadiums?

If the government do continue to follow advice it's very possible mass gatherings will be banned and therefore no local authority will licence a sporting fixture. Even when the day comes, crowds will not recover and chants will be through masks. The first new addition to the club shop, claret masks, oh, available online. If you think, the idea of actually passing an object quickly between people is also at odds with what were all expected to do. Will there be alcohol handwash available for throw ins?

Despite all the optimism, they can only null and void the season. No ups, downs just reset and start the same divisions again sometime, maybe next August. If there's half the clubs so what, they'll probably be half the businesses there were out there to support them. Professional football as it was is fooked but it just hasn't realised it yet.

At last Sixfields is suitable for todays game!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2020, 07:29:17 am »

In my opinion , the football season should be finished now and players in lower leagues furloughed until their contracts are up .
It’s unfortunate in some clubs , but join the rest of a great many of us that are also more than unfortunate as businesses plummet and people have little or nothing to live on .
Draw a line under it and look to start playing in the Late autumn possibly .
Football is no different to any other industry in the entertainment business and should accept that
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2020, 08:11:29 am »

You can guarantee teams like Leeds and WBA will be heading the queue to sue the EFL for probably missing out on the hundreds of millions of pounds from the Premiership.

The season has to finish, even behind closed doors, even if does not restart until July, August or September.

Personally I think the football season should not start until the first week of September, as previously, after the main holiday season.

If the next season does not start until September or October there is the option of not playing the 'mickey mouse' cup, League or FA Cup that season.

I feel the nation has observed the lockdown brilliantly BUT after the stick the nation needs the reward of a carrot with outdoor restrictions loosening!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: