The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:04:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

How to end the Season.....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to end the Season.....  (Read 15812 times)
guest3264

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2020, 08:59:03 am »

I am still of the opinion that the season MUST be completed but it  does not matter if that starts in June, August or October.
You then address future seasons when you have a clearer idea of future timescales.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2020, 11:46:15 am »

In my view it's absolutely inconceivable to discuss something as (largely) irrelevant as football returning at present.

I think France is much more on a realistic page by voiding the season and come back in Aug/Sept if it's safe to do so.

I agree.
I've heard people say that this season must be finished to maintain the integrity of the league. Then in their next breath they propose all sorts of changes to next season, what happened to integrity? Surely it's more honest to say, this season didn't finish, so it didn't happen.

I feel sorry for the teams at the top of their respective divisions of course, especially Liverpool, if there hadn't been the mid season break they may already be champions of the Premier League.                                                                                                                                               
The teams in the Prem could maybe finish the season behind closed doors as very few of them rely on gate receipts anyway. But then what? With the Championship undecided there could be no movement of teams between the top two levels, where is the integrity in that?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 18:00:39 pm by EB Claret » Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2020, 12:05:21 pm »

A line needs drawing somewhere, especially when contracts come into it.

Somewhere June/July, perhaps Aug - after that, it should be null and void
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2020, 16:56:32 pm »

I am still of the opinion that the season MUST be completed but it  does not matter if that starts in June, August or October.
You then address future seasons when you have a clearer idea of future timescales.

My stance.

Whenever it is...get these fixtures done, 9,10,11 of them or whatever it is. Then a months break. Then new season kicks in. With no cup fixtures if necessary.

Instead of Football authorities etc just giving hand outs to clubs, pay a token figure to all of those players out of contract so their contracts do not run out until the new season starts. (beyond 30/6).  That way, we can carry on where we left off with the same players.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2020, 18:39:55 pm »

My stance.

Whenever it is...get these fixtures done, 9,10,11 of them or whatever it is. Then a months break. Then new season kicks in. With no cup fixtures if necessary.

Instead of Football authorities etc just giving hand outs to clubs, pay a token figure to all of those players out of contract so their contracts do not run out until the new season starts. (beyond 30/6).  That way, we can carry on where we left off with the same players.
How do you stand with the concept of a goal celebration then? Everybody stands two meters apart? And what about corners, as there is hands and legs going everywhere ! No mate it should not restart for a long time yet. I have been sceptical about this in the past, including the word "overeact" but, we cant restart for just for your gratification.You are so wrong on your observation, its nearly unbelievable. And by the way, I will continue to use the term "Pikey". End of story.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2020, 21:21:05 pm »

I don't think we should just null and void the season as if it never happened. What would happen to the records and the stats built up this season? Liverpool's unbeaten run never happened, Eoin Doyle's 20-odd goals for Swindon get wiped, take 37 games off Keith Curle's managerial stats, we never reached round 4 of the FA Cup, Lee Geary hasn't actually attended his 1500th consecutive game. End the season if we have to but the playing records have to count. Can then decide if we have title winners or promotion/relegation etc. or just start next season the same.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2020, 21:38:29 pm »

Cancel next season. When the new season would have started we complete this one. With the extra time available we could have a special one-off tournament. It would be a nonsense to just void everything that has already been completed.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2020, 21:50:18 pm »

I don't think we should just null and void the season as if it never happened. What would happen to the records and the stats built up this season? Liverpool's unbeaten run never happened, Eoin Doyle's 20-odd goals for Swindon get wiped, take 37 games off Keith Curle's managerial stats, we never reached round 4 of the FA Cup, Lee Geary hasn't actually attended his 1500th consecutive game. End the season if we have to but the playing records have to count. Can then decide if we have title winners or promotion/relegation etc. or just start next season the same.

Whatever decisions are made cannot possibly keep everyone happy. Teams in league 2 are already publishing their lists of players to be released. If games are restarted in October and fans can attend, we may not recognise half of our team.  If games are played behind closed doors just imagine what happens on the day Liverpool clinch the title. The pubs are shut, there are no fans villages with their large screens, thousands would turn up outside the ground, many having travelled hundreds of miles to be there. Football fans want to BE there and without the fans football is nothing.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2020, 07:04:59 am »

How do you stand with the concept of a goal celebration then? Everybody stands two meters apart? And what about corners, as there is hands and legs going everywhere ! No mate it should not restart for a long time yet. I have been sceptical about this in the past, including the word "overeact" but, we cant restart for just for your gratification.You are so wrong on your observation, its nearly unbelievable. And by the way, I will continue to use the term "Pikey". End of story.

Ha ha, I think you've misinterpreted what I was saying!

Im not suggesting at all that the restart starts at any particular time. When its safe to do so, basically, whenever that is...

In summary. Im saying that we should finish this season off at a time when football can be safely played, again. How thats achieved, its a long long debate. We will probably know more in the coming weeks/months ahead. Then, if the timing works, have a short break, open the transfer window, allow clubs to re-group, then next season would start...

To avoid the contractual issue (30th June a lot of contracts are up and no club is likely to extend them, not at our level anyway - Salford aside maybe!!)....the footballing bodies use some money to pay for those players to allow clubs to keep hold of them. So when it does restart, the squads at the minute will remain the same, ensuring integrity.

Hope thats cleared that up!
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2020, 08:44:24 am »

I think we should end the season by playing all the remaining games but in a 5 a side format with two 15 min halves.

No draws and next goal wins if scores level at end of normal time. Rush keepers allowed.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Cobblersmad

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2020, 08:57:59 am »

The season already feels like it's finished to me. I can't really see myself going back in June,and having the same emotions about football and promotion after a three month gap due to a global pandemic.
The clubs threatening legal action do need to take a long look at themselves.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2020, 09:56:19 am »

Germany re-tightening their restrictions because their cases have increased again since they relaxed them...can't see the Bundesliga re-starting anytime soon.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3338

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2020, 11:15:12 am »

Germany re-tightening their restrictions because their cases have increased again since they relaxed them...can't see the Bundesliga re-starting anytime soon.
Neither can I.
The most notable piece of data through all of this will be additional deaths above a nations average going back a number of years. I don't know if that figure will ever become generally avaliable but if it does, sadly, I'm willing to bet that our extra deaths pro rate will be higher than most other first world countries whilst Germanys will be one of the lower figures.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2020, 11:20:35 am »

For me, bin it. Start again next season (whenever that might be) with all teams in the division they were in this season, with just a slight reshuffle to accommodate the loss of Bury. All the stats still apply because the matches did happen, they just didn't count for anything.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2020, 11:26:39 am »

Ha ha, I think you've misinterpreted what I was saying!

Im not suggesting at all that the restart starts at any particular time. When its safe to do so, basically, whenever that is...

In summary. Im saying that we should finish this season off at a time when football can be safely played, again. How thats achieved, its a long long debate. We will probably know more in the coming weeks/months ahead. Then, if the timing works, have a short break, open the transfer window, allow clubs to re-group, then next season would start...

To avoid the contractual issue (30th June a lot of contracts are up and no club is likely to extend them, not at our level anyway - Salford aside maybe!!)....the footballing bodies use some money to pay for those players to allow clubs to keep hold of them. So when it does restart, the squads at the minute will remain the same, ensuring integrity.

Hope thats cleared that up!

Tad difficult if Mansfield Town involved!
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2020, 11:53:11 am »

For me, bin it. Start again next season (whenever that might be) with all teams in the division they were in this season, with just a slight reshuffle to accommodate the loss of Bury. All the stats still apply because the matches did happen, they just didn't count for anything.

Further up the ladder though, who do you put in the Champions League for next season? The same teams that were in it this season? Tottenham (9th in the table currently) over Leicester (3rd in the table currently), Leicester don't go into Europe at all? Manchester United don't go into the Champions League but go into the Europa League again? Manchester City.....do you count their ban for next season or not?

There is no easy way out of this from a "cancel and wipe the results" perspective.

Someone mentioned above about goal celebrations and being two meters apart? I thought the idea was that if we got back playing again there would be a strict testing regime where you knew all players managers etc were negative and therefore would be able to play, tackle, celebrate normally?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2020, 12:26:44 pm »

Nothing wrong with your view but so many shareholders of adversely affected clubs will insist on legal action and compensation. The lawyers will have a field day.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2020, 12:48:23 pm »

Someone mentioned above about goal celebrations and being two meters apart? I thought the idea was that if we got back playing again there would be a strict testing regime where you knew all players managers etc were negative and therefore would be able to play, tackle, celebrate normally?
Yeah that was me. Having lost two relatives already, and my mum in a care home, I am concerned about peoples health. That would require a daily check. At great expense. And who gets priority? Footballers or the NHS ? My money is certainly on the latter. I have donated to the NHS, and would urge you all to do the same. And a very happy birthday to Captain (Colonel) Tom Moore. Superb flypast by the RAF this morning. Theres more important things in life than a football game.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2020, 12:49:15 pm »

Cobblers wise, I aint bothered about the season being wiped out. So I've no agenda.

I would though think its grotesquely unfair on Liverpool (eg) or if Stevenage (eg) dont win their league/relegated respectively.

Then what happens to Bolton? Do they start again, with a huge points deduction? Because they would have to!!! Do Southend get a reprieve?

Then finally. Lets not forget Bury who were in league1 before last season started and indeed, AFTER league1 started. So do they get another change to sort their finances out and join the party?

The choices are simple. End the season now and titles/relegation are decided as per a points tally up (some teams have games in hand). OR, finish the season off when it can be.

Personally, I don't care either way. But this season cannot be ruled none and void. If its finished now, Id support promoting the teams in the automatic positions and having no playoffs, which would mean that the teams in the final relegation spots in each league 'get lucky'. That would potentially give Stevenage a reprieve, if Barrow are the only team promoted. But it would sort out more issues than creating other ones. But like I say, much better to play the end of the season out once we can.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2020, 14:05:34 pm »

As this discussion is likely to end in disagreements as there are so many ways for the season to finish. So my view is restart the season when we can but in the same positions prior to shutdown. And then hope for the best!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: