The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:06:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

On this day

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On this day  (Read 14024 times)
tcobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2020, 13:23:05 pm »

Sunderland game another bank holiday night game ? Went by coach, parked by the seafront and we were marched to the ground.
Great day out in York, we had half the ground that day.
Leeds games we seemed to surrender quite easily, good day out again, funny going ons outside the pub.
Great day against Cheltenham,  even better day in the away game.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2020, 13:56:42 pm »

Sunderland game another bank holiday night game ? Went by coach, parked by the seafront and we were marched to the ground.
Great day out in York, we had half the ground that day.
Leeds games we seemed to surrender quite easily, good day out again, funny going ons outside the pub.
Great day against Cheltenham,  even better day in the away game.

Went up to Sunderland on Marvo's coach, we stopped in Durham on the way and were told by the locals of a good pub to go to.....then we got ambushed on a bridge over the river and chased through the streets!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2020, 14:58:32 pm »

Went up to Sunderland on Marvo's coach, we stopped in Durham on the way and were told by the locals of a good pub to go to.....then we got ambushed on a bridge over the river and chased through the streets!

I like Marco now!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2020, 15:10:17 pm »

May 2nd on this day in history.......

32 years ago today.....32 years! The end of season trip to Sunderland, where, from memory Eric Gates dived to get a penalty, Tony Adcock scored a cracker for us, and most in a crowd of over 29000 celebrated Sunderlands championship and promotion.

30 years ago today......a goalless boredraw at Tranmere in front of 5,363

Another goalless draw, this time in 1998, as we went to York, over 2000 Cobblers in the crowd of 6,688 that day and we secured our playoff place for the second consecutive season.

11 years ago we travelled to Leeds, Becchio, Beckford and Snodgrass sent us spinning to a 3-0 defeat and relegation to the bottom tier once more. 34,214 were in attendance at Elland Road.

On this day in 2013 the playoffs were underway, Roy O'Donovan's goal giving us a slender 1-0 win over Cheltenham in the first leg at Sixfields, with 6,563 in attendance for that game.

In 2015 the league season ended with a 3-2 home defeat by Wycombe in front of 5,723, we were 2-0 down at the break but levelled in the second half thanks to an own goal and Ryan Cresswells effort five minutes from time, once again the Cobblers contrived to throw it away as Alfie Mawsons injury time winner left us pointless.
Around a 1000 of us crammed into the slender corner of the open terrace. Remember the crowd well - 29,452, was the highest  for a while at Roker Park, nothing beat it until it was replaced by the SoL...24,000 v Sheffield Wednesday coming closest.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2020, 17:55:41 pm »

11 years ago we travelled to Leeds, Becchio, Beckford and Snodgrass sent us spinning to a 3-0 defeat and relegation to the bottom tier once more. 34,214 were in attendance at Elland Road.
I remember that day vividly. After I had gone through the turnstile, I was stopped by a steward. "Have you been drinking sir?" Yes, same as everybody else. At that point he threw me out. But he never confiscated my ticket. I gave it about 15 minutes, before trying again, via the automated turnstile. A different entrance and it worked! I made my way to the away end next to those w@nkers with the Kingsthorpe white flag, stewards arrived and detained me. And took me to what I can only desciribe as a cell. Now then fella how did thee get back in? Fukc off  was the reply. They detained me until of the coaches had left. But I was staying in York that weekend. So i went to the nearest taxi rank , and waved 40 quid cash around. Taxi to York who wants it? I  was back by 8pm.
And i still believe that I am banned from Elland Road,

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2020, 11:50:04 am »

Now we are in May, the games on this day in years gone by are drying up a bit.....however,

On May 3rd 1986 the curtain came down on that season with a 0-0 draw at Port Vale, we were finishing 10th in the League under Graham Carr, Vale were already promoted before this game....the crowd, a paltry 3,873 in the old Division 4.

We were already playoff bound on this day in 1997, Ian Atkin's men securing 4th place in the league with a 1-0 win over Scunny thanks to a Sean Parrish goal in front of 6,822. Cardiff and Chester both lost on the last day whilst Swansea could only draw.

We were relegated back to the bottom tier on this day in 1999, only 12 months earlier we were within 90 minutes of the Championship, however things went wrong in 98/99 season, too many draws (18) and a lack of goals (43 in 46 games) saw us finish 22nd, the goalless draw with Chesterfield epitomising the season. 5,110 were in attendance.

In 2003 we were rock bottom of the third tier and relegated long before this 2-1 final day defeat at Mansfield. The Stags finished second from bottom, and despite us taking a first minute lead through Darryn Stamp they came back to win and hand us the wooden spoon. 3,928 packed into Field Mill that day. Martin Wilkinson was in the hotseat after Terry Fenwicks short reign. Ironically Northampton and Mansfield were to meet again at the end of the following season as we both made the playoffs......

An end of season nothing game on this day in 2008, we did beat Tranmere 2-1 on our way to a respectable 9th place finish, Akinfenwa and Hubertz with the goals for Stuart Grays men on front of a crowd of 5,088.

Rewind 6 years and we were in real danger of relegation out of the league, especially once Ryan Williams gave Oxford an early lead at Sixfields. Defeat would have sent us down but we came roaring back to win (after the goalscorer Williams had been sent off) with goals from John Marquis, Ivan Toney and Matthias Doumbe in front of a full house crowd of 7,529. Chris Wilder had pulled off the great escape, and to do it with victory over his old club must have made it that much sweeter!

Back with more tomorrow!!
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2020, 13:39:42 pm »

On this day, the oft mentioned in previous posts, Roker Park closed for the final time...

https://twitter.com/theawayfans/status/1256918448208297984?s=09
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2020, 19:51:49 pm »

Went to all the games on this day, apart from the Tranmere game. One that sticks out most is the Oxford game. I work with alot of Oxford fans so very pleasing to stay up courtesy of that win.
Report Spam   Logged

Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2020, 20:19:57 pm »

I remember that day vividly. After I had gone through the turnstile, I was stopped by a steward. "Have you been drinking sir?" Yes, same as everybody else. At that point he threw me out. But he never confiscated my ticket. I gave it about 15 minutes, before trying again, via the automated turnstile. A different entrance and it worked! I made my way to the away end next to those w@nkers with the Kingsthorpe white flag, stewards arrived and detained me. And took me to what I can only desciribe as a cell. Now then fella how did thee get back in? Fukc off  was the reply. They detained me until of the coaches had left. But I was staying in York that weekend. So i went to the nearest taxi rank , and waved 40 quid cash around. Taxi to York who wants it? I  was back by 8pm.
And i still believe that I am banned from Elland Road,

I think that is what is considered around these parts to be "hospitality" or the "executive suite".  Did you enjoy the complimentary prawn sandwiches?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
guest48

« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2020, 20:25:31 pm »

In 2003 we were rock bottom of the third tier and relegated long before this 2-1 final day defeat at Mansfield. The Stags finished second from bottom, and despite us taking a first minute lead through Darryn Stamp they came back to win and hand us the wooden spoon. 3,928 packed into Field Mill that day. Martin Wilkinson was in the hotseat after Terry Fenwicks short reign. Ironically Northampton and Mansfield were to meet again at the end of the following season as we both made the playoffs......
I think this game is where a very young Luke Chambers made his debut, the first of a very decent League career.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2020, 10:57:43 am »

In our promotion year 1987 an Ian Benjamin goal secured a 1-1 draw at Cardiff in front of a massive 2682 crowd.
Last season we finished in style with a 5-2 win at Oldham, goals from Hoskins, Pierre, Williams 2 and Morias with 452 travelling supporters.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:33 am »

Didnt do the Cardiff game but had a great day out in Manchester for the Oldham game last season.
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2020, 14:19:15 pm »

As OAP has already started the thread for Star Wars Day....... I must admit I can't remember that Cardiff game, its one of the few I missed....it was on Bank Holiday Monday, so the low gate is even more surprising!

A Saturday afternoon in Wigan at the old Springfield Park on this day in 1996 saw us derail Wigans playoff hopes with a 2-1 final day victory in front of a crowd of 5,089. I know I went to that game, can remember the victory and the pistaking of the Wigan fans but I cant remember who scored the goals.....Jason White rings a bell for the winner? A win would have seen them finish 7th and in the playoffs at Colchesters expense, as it was they finished 10th under future Cobblers Director of Football John Deehan, and we finished 11th. The fixture computer would rub salt into the wounds by making the first game of the following season Wigan v Northampton!

The Oldham game last season is the only other game on this day in the last 35 years.

Report Spam   Logged

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2020, 15:20:23 pm »

I think that is what is considered around these parts to be "hospitality" or the "executive suite".  Did you enjoy the complimentary prawn sandwiches?
Dont like prawns. One thing that I forgot to mention, was they filmed my "interview" with one of those huge Sky TV cameras. I suppose that my face is on the bad boys wall!
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2020, 15:58:19 pm »

On this day 1949, the great Torino squad's plane crashed into the foggy mountain side basilica of Superga, killing all on board - including an English born player, whose name escapes me now. They had been in Lisbon for a European Cup game and diverted in heavy fog from Milano Malpensa airport to Torino Casale. Some rumours that the pilot was instructed to fly to Torino as many of the team were carrying illegal duty (not) free stuff and security was less tight at Casale than Malpensa!

Torino and Cobblers connections for a few of us
[https://photos.app.goo.gl/J8Bxa7schwu93FUD9]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 16:04:37 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2020, 16:47:38 pm »

On this day 1949, the great Torino squad's plane crashed into the foggy mountain side basilica of Superga, killing all on board - including an English born player, whose name escapes me now. They had been in Lisbon for a European Cup game and diverted in heavy fog from Milano Malpensa airport to Torino Casale. Some rumours that the pilot was instructed to fly to Torino as many of the team were carrying illegal duty (not) free stuff and security was less tight at Casale than Malpensa!

Torino and Cobblers connections for a few of us
[https://photos.app.goo.gl/J8Bxa7schwu93FUD9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Lievesley  He was the English player. R.I.P.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2020, 18:56:35 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Lievesley  He was the English player. R.I.P.
👍
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2020, 15:21:36 pm »

May 5th......and on this day....

In 1990 we finished our third tier relegation season with a 2-0 defeat at Millmoor to Rotherham. 3,420 was the gate for the game which meant little to either side.
This was the second in a run of 10 consecutive defeats in all competitions against the Millers between 1989 and 2001. We didn't actually beat them in 17 games over 30 years between 1974 and 2004, a run which ended in that memorable FA Cup Replay victory at Millmoor which brought us the Manchester United Cup game.

In 2001 we played our final game of that season on this day, a 3-0 home defeat to a Walsall side that ended up winning promotion through the playoffs. Brett Angell hit a second half hat-trick in 18 minutes. Jeff Winter refereed the game which 5,389 fans attended.

Another trip to South Yorkshire on this day in 2007 brought about a 2-2 draw with Doncaster at the Keepmoat in front of 7,534. Jason Crowe and Mark Hughes were the Cobblers goalscorers on that afternoon.

South Yorkshire seems to be the place to be on May 5th.....in 2012 we again faced Rotherham, this time though at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield! Ade Akinfenwas 90th minute equaliser giving us a point after Alex Revell had scored for the Merry Millers. 
This was the last game of football played at the Don Valley before Rotherham started the following season at their new ground, the bulldozers moving into the abandoned athletics stadium in 2013. An attendance of 4,729 were present.

The following season on this day we saw playoff success, following up our 1-0 home win with a 1-0 away win at Cheltenham to secure a Wembley outing. Luke Guttridge scored the only goal in front of 5,955 fans. Re-live that fantastic Guttridge goal,and Lee Nicholls earlier penalty save here.....

Like last season we ended the 2018 season with a game against Oldham, this time a home fixture, the game ended in a 2-2 draw, a result which did neither side any favours as we were both relegated, Oldham would have stayed up had they won though. 6,511 were there to see the Latics take the lead, then fall behind to Matt Grimes and Ash Taylor goals before the break. They did grab an equaliser on 55 minutes but couldn't find a third so joined us in relegation misery. Dean Austin, in temporary charge for this game got the job permanently a week later, only to be sacked within a couple of months of the new season starting. 
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2020, 15:40:45 pm »

Thinking about end of season games... Setting myself up here but here goes....
What is the one thing you will never see in a match day programme?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2020, 16:02:24 pm »

Thinking about end of season games... Setting myself up here but here goes....
What is the one thing you will never see in a match day programme?

Ticket details for the next game?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: