The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:37:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Mike Ashley

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Ashley  (Read 4938 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 15:34:30 pm »

That's only because of the outcry it caused, it doesn't change the fact of what his first reaction was!

In the end he put some of his money and transport facility with the NHS who incidentally accepted his offer. You clearly have not forgiven him Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 16:14:10 pm »

Look it up ! 
You carefully omitted the fact he later apologised for his actions and offered a fleet of store lorries to help with distribution of PPE.
How about your other hero, Branson?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest48

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 16:29:48 pm »

Of course the government should bail out his airline, he pays his taxes like the next man...………………..Oh maybe not then  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 18:14:10 pm »

Branson maybe doesnt pay his uk taxes, but the hundreds of workers at Virgin Atlantic do pay UK taxes, maybe people are forgetting about them. Will you all be happy to pay more tax when  alot of them lose their jobs?
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
guest48

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 18:19:42 pm »

Branson maybe doesnt pay his uk taxes, but the hundreds of workers at Virgin Atlantic do pay UK taxes, maybe people are forgetting about them. Will you all be happy to pay more tax when  alot of them lose their jobs?
So do you think tax avoidance is OK if you employ some people who do pay their taxes ?
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 18:37:43 pm »

I didnt say that, i was asking if you would be happy to make up the short fall in the taxes that are lost by Virgin Atlantic workers losing their jobs.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 19:21:49 pm »

Don't like him ; never have done. Don't like Geezers who buy an offshore Island to conduct nefarious activities. Above all he is not rumoured as Ashley is to buy the Club.

I know you are firmly with the loony left but really why do you have to be such a loser?
Report Spam   Logged

guest48

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 22:00:37 pm »

I didnt say that, i was asking if you would be happy to make up the short fall in the taxes that are lost by Virgin Atlantic workers losing their jobs.
But the short fall in taxes by Virgin workers, is it any different to the short fall caused by Branson and others avoiding paying their fair share of taxes ?
    I really feel for any working person who is going to lose their jobs but the greedy ba*tards who blatantly fiddle their taxes, I have no sympathy.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2020, 19:28:55 pm »

Henry Winkler.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 20:32:03 pm »

Henry Winkler.

He was awarded the OBE!
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2020, 20:59:48 pm »

Interesting comments on here regarding “greedy” business owners? For those that are interested what about a view from the other side of the fence?
1. How about the situation regarding Phoenix companies? A company can legally fold owing your business 10s of thousands of pounds. It can start up the next day with a slight name change, buy all its assets off the liquidator and carry on as if it never happened? The inland revenue gets to keep its income stream and us poor creditors just have to lump it and F off? It’s also known as legalised government enabled robbery?
2. How about deferred invoicing? You can build a relationship with a major business such as a supermarket chain etc. You become economically dependent on the relationship and then they turn around out of the blue and state that they will pay your invoices on 105 days? It does this to all its suppliers, the theory being they get to keep a massive lump sum in the bank and gain the interest etc and the suppliers cashflow is absolutely trashed. You end up getting bank loans etc to support their business (in the unlikely event this is even possible, more on this later) in effect giving this huge business an unauthorised, unsecured interest free loan? This is usually achieved by remortgaging your house or some other drastic soul destroying measure. The government could of course legislate against this practice, but it doesn’t give a f#*k, so why should it?
3. You build a business putting every penny and possession you own on the line, employing people etc but the government makes you pay corporation tax at 19% (17% this year due to current circumstances). This is on top of your normal PAYE meaning you are in reality a 64% tax payer? No one else suffers this injustice, just business owners and this is even if you are a small business? Not so in Australia by the way where you are given a tax credit to offset this absolute travesty.
4. The UK government gives a tax free concession on share dividends. This is about £25k higher than the standard tax free earning threshold making it effect worth 7 grand. A figure that has not changed for around 20 years and is falling year on year in real terms. Everyone else gets their allowances increased regularly, but business owners can f#*k off and lump it apparently. Give it another 20 years and the minimum PAYE threshold will be higher than the dividend threshold and it will be redundant. The final advantage of the business owner dead and buried.
5. During the last economic crisis the UK government bailed out the banks and became sort of part owners of many. Yet they did absolutely f all in the way of supporting business. Trying to get a loan or assistance was virtually impossible and you were and in fact still are virtually on your own. Unless you are prepared to embark on factored invoicing or some other company wrecking bank serving strategy, the banks are a waste of space? This is despite pumping a small fortune in government money in to keep their doors open, the government did absolutely f all in getting them to support businesses? To this day the only business that can get any meaningful financial support is one that is so financially secure, it doesn’t need it. A turnover of 1 million plus gets you an overdraft of about 40k. Really handy when Joe Retailer or someone puts you on a 105 day invoice payment schedule and a Phoenix goes t1ts up on you in the same month?

I could go on and on. Business owners have been treated like sh1t for years. Most treat them as greedy self serving tossers and view them with contempt yet they are supposed to be the economic backbone of the country, don’t make me laugh? Yet when they try and twist and bend the rules and get an advantage for themselves for once in their lives, everyone jumps on their back and goes beserk? Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying tax avoidance is right, its just that this idea that business owners are nothing more than greedy parasites who deserve every financial misfortune that comes their way makes my fcuking blood boil. You get no respect, no gratitude, no assistance, just petty jealousy, ridicule and contempt. You are constantly, consistently and relentlessly financially raped and pillaged every way you turn with little exception. Well if you keep treating people like sh1t they will end up acting in morally questionable ways? No, I’m afraid the “supporting business” mantra government and their partners in crime at the HMRC can fcuk off, hence the move to Oz! Every penny they were due to take off me personally has gone down the toilet and if I had a finger imoji I would be inserting it right here.
Rant over.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:56:39 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 00:23:30 am »

Interesting comments on here regarding “greedy” business owners? For those that are interested what about a view from the other side of the fence?
1. How about the situation regarding Phoenix companies? A company can legally fold owing your business 10s of thousands of pounds. It can start up the next day with a slight name change, buy all its assets off the liquidator and carry on as if it never happened? The inland revenue gets to keep its income stream and us poor creditors just have to lump it and F off? It’s also known as legalised government enabled robbery?

When I worked in the motor trade, doing service work there was a haulage company at Wymington near Rushden. It was 24/7 workshop. And provided for that stinking sh1thole just outside of Irthlingborough. The place that you held your breath when you drove past. They changed their name three times whilst I went there. Unpaid invoice? No thats not us, said the same guy, in the same office behind the same desk. I hated going there because I had to ware waders to avoid the filth. And yet my employer still dealt with them. You have no idea what was dripping on me.

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3086

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2020, 18:56:45 pm »

2. How about deferred invoicing? You can build a relationship with a major business such as a supermarket chain etc. You become economically dependent on the relationship and then they turn around out of the blue and state that they will pay your invoices on 105 days? It does this to all its suppliers, the theory being they get to keep a massive lump sum in the bank and gain the interest etc and the suppliers cashflow is absolutely trashed. You end up getting bank loans etc to support their business (in the unlikely event this is even possible, more on this later) in effect giving this huge business an unauthorised, unsecured interest free loan? This is usually achieved by remortgaging your house or some other drastic soul destroying measure. The government could of course legislate against this practice, but it doesn’t give a f#*k, so why should it?
3. You build a business putting every penny and possession you own on the line, employing people etc but the government makes you pay corporation tax at 19% (17% this year due to current circumstances). This is on top of your normal PAYE meaning you are in reality a 64% tax payer? No one else suffers this injustice, just business owners and this is even if you are a small business? Not so in Australia by the way where you are given a tax credit to offset this absolute travesty.
4. The UK government gives a tax free concession on share dividends. This is about £25k higher than the standard tax free earning threshold making it effect worth 7 grand. A figure that has not changed for around 20 years and is falling year on year in real terms. Everyone else gets their allowances increased regularly, but business owners can f#*k off and lump it apparently. Give it another 20 years and the minimum PAYE threshold will be higher than the dividend threshold and it will be redundant. The final advantage of the business owner dead and buried.
5. During the last economic crisis the UK government bailed out the banks and became sort of part owners of many. Yet they did absolutely f all in the way of supporting business. Trying to get a loan or assistance was virtually impossible and you were and in fact still are virtually on your own. Unless you are prepared to embark on factored invoicing or some other company wrecking bank serving strategy, the banks are a waste of space? This is despite pumping a small fortune in government money in to keep their doors open, the government did absolutely f all in getting them to support businesses? To this day the only business that can get any meaningful financial support is one that is so financially secure, it doesn’t need it. A turnover of 1 million plus gets you an overdraft of about 40k. Really handy when Joe Retailer or someone puts you on a 105 day invoice payment schedule and a Phoenix goes t1ts up on you in the same month?

I could go on and on. Business owners have been treated like sh1t for years. Most treat them as greedy self serving tossers and view them with contempt yet they are supposed to be the economic backbone of the country, don’t make me laugh? Yet when they try and twist and bend the rules and get an advantage for themselves for once in their lives, everyone jumps on their back and goes beserk? Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying tax avoidance is right, its just that this idea that business owners are nothing more than greedy parasites who deserve every financial misfortune that comes their way makes my fcuking blood boil. You get no respect, no gratitude, no assistance, just petty jealousy, ridicule and contempt. You are constantly, consistently and relentlessly financially raped and pillaged every way you turn with little exception. Well if you keep treating people like sh1t they will end up acting in morally questionable ways? No, I’m afraid the “supporting business” mantra government and their partners in crime at the HMRC can fcuk off, hence the move to Oz! Every penny they were due to take off me personally has gone down the toilet and if I had a finger imoji I would be inserting it right here.
Rant over.

Cry
What a sorry story.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2020, 02:59:50 am »

Really, I came out of it very well thanks. Or is that the bit you’re sorry about?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2020, 10:12:56 am »

Really, I came out of it very well thanks. Or is that the bit you’re sorry about?

MC. A lot of your points ring true especially the abusive payment terms. I've certainly come across businesses where the owners are bleeding their company dry knowing that the unsecured creditors will take the hit if their company collapses.

Regarding your payment of Corporation Tax;

Did you look at your specific provisioning when considering your final figures (where your taxable profits derive from). Provide for a bonus for yourself (or your wife) ? Perhaps you know you have taxable losses coming up to set against prior year profits. The virus is going to lead to some huge tax losses and repayment of prior year CT on profits.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 11:12:50 am »

MC. A lot of your points ring true especially the abusive payment terms. I've certainly come across businesses where the owners are bleeding their company dry knowing that the unsecured creditors will take the hit if their company collapses.

Regarding your payment of Corporation Tax;

Did you look at your specific provisioning when considering your final figures (where your taxable profits derive from). Provide for a bonus for yourself (or your wife) ? Perhaps you know you have taxable losses coming up to set against prior year profits. The virus is going to lead to some huge tax losses and repayment of prior year CT on profits.
I’m going back a bit now but it was split between me and the missus as far as I can recall? It all got a bit technical for me tbh, just took the advice of the bean counter. Of course it all went out the window when I moved here, all the UK stuff is taxed as overseas income under ATO rules. With regards to the other stuff, it’s long overdue with regards to sorting out these c***s. It’s frankly a scandal that they are allowed to get away with it? Unfortunately I have seen far too many decent people lose everything at the hands of these individuals. Problem is you get these types in every society, it’s simply a failure of government that allows it to continue. I’m afraid when it comes to running a business the UK government in my experience is shockingly inadequate, and that’s across the political divide irrespective of who’s in power.
Report Spam   Logged

tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2020, 11:38:44 am »

All good points Melbourne.
One point sums up football supporters. They will complain that people like Branson and his company avoid paying tax etc.
But when a football Club goes into administration or fails altogether, the fans are very quick to form phoenix Clubs or organise  rescue deals , thus avoiding payments due to Creditors, Inland Revenue etc. All very hypocritical\
Report Spam   Logged

Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 12:59:18 pm »

I’m not sure I see the issue with fans starting up phoenix clubs when a team goes out of business, but I do think the penalties imposed to clubs that go into administration is far too lenient. I was glad Bury were forced to start again and not allowed back in the league and would like to see it more to bigger clubs too. I know if this stance had been imposed in the past we would have been chucked out the league and maybe it might mean we are in the future but if that is the case then do be it.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2020, 19:40:16 pm »

That sums it up really. There are a lot of businesses doing very nicely in this country with the owners earning a nice wedge. The owners have also found cunning ways to earn even more by swerving the revenue. There is a huge divide between the top earners and the average worker. The richest 10% of households hold 44% of all wealth. The poorest 50%, by contrast, own just 9%. Let's face it, it is called greed. Oh and corporation tax in Oz is 30% compared to 19% in UK. If business owners wish to re-locate from the country that brought them up then good riddance. One thing this covid malarkey has proved is that the workers we really rely on are undervalued to a very high degree and businesses and governments need to realise that wealth distribution needs to be much fairer.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2020, 22:28:13 pm »

That sums it up really. There are a lot of businesses doing very nicely in this country with the owners earning a nice wedge. The owners have also found cunning ways to earn even more by swerving the revenue. There is a huge divide between the top earners and the average worker. The richest 10% of households hold 44% of all wealth. The poorest 50%, by contrast, own just 9%. Let's face it, it is called greed. Oh and corporation tax in Oz is 30% compared to 19% in UK. If business owners wish to re-locate from the country that brought them up then good riddance. One thing this covid malarkey has proved is that the workers we really rely on are undervalued to a very high degree and businesses and governments need to realise that wealth distribution needs to be much fairer.

Your daft quoting pareto's law; it was the same in Renaissance Italy, Ancient Rome,Medieval England and beyond etc etc..... and especially Scotland! The top earners may also include Footballers, Celebrities /Lottery Winners and quite few Tradesmen. I bet you are one of the lefties/remainers living on Twitter in an Ultra Socialist Remainer Bubble? If you studied pareto's law applied to the UK then it is at best 5% hold 40% of the wealth; 30% hold 25% and the balance to the rest of "us". Things have evened up quite a bit since 1913, unless of course your figures are merely suited to fit an agenda Roll Eyes.   

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: