The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:09:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stay Safe (& Alert !)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay Safe (& Alert !)  (Read 7725 times)
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2020, 06:40:02 am »

CJ, a sensible and balanced post.

Tel clearly has issues with the Trust and has done so for a long time.  He is acting like a jilted lover.  Over the weekend he referred to the Trust as the “Kingsley Park momentum party” and “Kingsley Park Navel Gazing Society.”  Ho ho.  I wonder if it is it a case of the The Man Who Would be King but no one would let him into the Kingsley Park robing room.

There is also an assumption that posters such as myself are annoying trouble makers, always stirring the pot and inciting dissent. There is a fiction in Tel’s postings (he is not alone) that he represents the majority. Note the numerous “we” references always linked to accusations of “agendas” and incorrect references such as, and to quote the man himself, that critics have an “incessant opportunistic attitude towards swiping at the club”.  Half a dozen posters on here do not constitute a majority of any supporters but he and they seem to think they are.

There is a further consistent thread and that is references to critics being anti-club. More misleading nonsense.  We, (how dare I use the first person plural?!) the supporters are the club and we will be here long after the present custodians depart.  There is a very clear distinction between criticism of the owners and criticism of the club.  The failure to see that distinction is deliberate and very convenient resulting in the “we” camp loyally defending the “club” and you lot, the critics, being rubbished. 

There is much to be critical about concerning our owners and my criticism is set out extensively in the Redevelopment thread.  The Trust has been the only NTFC supporters group to openly raise questions with KT and make public statements on the East Stand and the club’s finances.  It is fast approaching 5 years since KT’s arrival and, putting to one side the impact of the COVID-19 crisis, in that period up until March this year and there has been little or no progress on any front. Financially the club is in a position very close to the one it was prior to Cardoza leaving, namely one of unsustainable debt and a chronic lack of investment in the stadium and the general infrastructure of the club. If that does not cause alarm bells to ring nothing will.

Time and time again supporters are badly let down by our club’s owners promising much and delivering very little. The pipe dream of a benevolent sugar daddy turning up at Sixfields still persists in the minds of many.  The definition of insanity is doing (in our case wanting) the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The latest custodians and their performance over 5 years is there to see but when the reality is staring some in the face they are blind and in denial.  Redevelopment, 5USport, managerial merry go round, relegation, stagnant crowds anyone?

And then along came a pandemic...................................
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2020, 08:58:44 am »

Tel clearly has issues with the Trust and has done so for a long time. 

I read as far as this, and I have no intention of reading any more of your post.

You're absolutely right. I do have an issue with the Trust. ON ONE THING. I will go into very little detail about why, for the umpteenth time in a minute. But it is important first of all to emphasise once again, that it is on one issue and one issue only. In every other respect I have nothing but admiration for everything they do. 

I will not, and can not accept what I believe is the undemocratic way tyhat the Trust board had dealt with "their" feeling about this issue.

Until such a time, that the Trust board implements an inclusive stance on the gritty issue of the redevelopment, I will see it just as much my right to protest at their stance, as they do about KT's undemocratic stance.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2020, 11:51:01 am »

I read as far as this, and I have no intention of reading any more of your post.
Yet you expect others to read every word of yours?

If you dont mind a smattering of flattery Terry, you are clearly an eloquent upstanding thoughtful, not to mention impressively intelligent individual (at least much more so than me, but that's all my opinion only, you'll understand  Grin), uet for me from my vantage point, you are clearly in denial.
You've just started, if I understand correctly, that the primary outstanding issue for you surrounding this whole glaring lack of redevelopment, has nothing to do with that issue at all but rather it's the supposedly undemocratic election(?) process that continues within a supporter group aligned to the club, which taints the stance and questioning that body has towards our clubs owners.
That tops everything else for you?
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2020, 12:03:52 pm »

Getting back to the original topic and in case it has missed supporters attention today the Northamptonshire NHS charity will be delighted to receive the profits made by the Trust from the sale of its face masks.

https://twitter.com/ntfc_trust/status/1263023401326780418?s=20

No further comment is needed.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2020, 15:53:39 pm »

Getting back to the original topic and in case it has missed supporters attention today the Northamptonshire NHS charity will be delighted to receive the profits made by the Trust from the sale of its face masks.

https://twitter.com/ntfc_trust/status/1263023401326780418?s=20

No further comment is needed.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:16 am »

Call me old fashioned, but we seem as divided and disjointed as ever?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2020, 11:16:20 am »

Tel clearly has issues with the Trust and has done so for a long time.  He is acting like a jilted lover.  Over the weekend he referred to the Trust as the “Kingsley Park momentum party” and “Kingsley Park Navel Gazing Society.”  Ho ho.  I wonder if it is it a case of the The Man Who Would be King but no one would let him into the Kingsley Park robing room.

There is also an assumption that posters such as myself are annoying trouble makers, always stirring the pot and inciting dissent. There is a fiction in Tel’s postings (he is not alone) that he represents the majority. Note the numerous “we” references always linked to accusations of “agendas” and incorrect references such as, and to quote the man himself, that critics have an “incessant opportunistic attitude towards swiping at the club”.  Half a dozen posters on here do not constitute a majority of any supporters but he and they seem to think they are.

There is a further consistent thread and that is references to critics being anti-club. More misleading nonsense.  We, (how dare I use the first person plural?!) the supporters are the club and we will be here long after the present custodians depart.  There is a very clear distinction between criticism of the owners and criticism of the club.  The failure to see that distinction is deliberate and very convenient resulting in the “we” camp loyally defending the “club” and you lot, the critics, being rubbished. 

There is much to be critical about concerning our owners and my criticism is set out extensively in the Redevelopment thread.  The Trust has been the only NTFC supporters group to openly raise questions with KT and make public statements on the East Stand and the club’s finances.  It is fast approaching 5 years since KT’s arrival and, putting to one side the impact of the COVID-19 crisis, in that period up until March this year and there has been little or no progress on any front. Financially the club is in a position very close to the one it was prior to Cardoza leaving, namely one of unsustainable debt and a chronic lack of investment in the stadium and the general infrastructure of the club. If that does not cause alarm bells to ring nothing will.

Time and time again supporters are badly let down by our club’s owners promising much and delivering very little. The pipe dream of a benevolent sugar daddy turning up at Sixfields still persists in the minds of many.  The definition of insanity is doing (in our case wanting) the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The latest custodians and their performance over 5 years is there to see but when the reality is staring some in the face they are blind and in denial.  Redevelopment, 5USport, managerial merry go round, relegation, stagnant crowds anyone?

And then along came a pandemic...................................

So I return to the same point, assuming these opinions are vindicated and the current owners have failed the club, what and who comes next? Whether it’s the owners, a manager, whatever, vilifying and condemning the present is the easy bit, negotiating a path to an alternative and obvious improvement should be the overriding priority and emphasis in any debate? So, whether it be the redevelopment thread, here, or Curle out, constant criticism is pointless without an indication of an attainable alternative? This has been my argument all along and it continues to be a persistent failure in the endless discussions and protestations of many? FFS what is the real alternative that offers a realistically achievable and brighter future? I promise you, if it’s attractive and attainable I’m on board and so will be most others?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2020, 12:09:35 pm »

Whilst I’m on a roll what’s my opinion of Kelvin Thomas? Well, not great, why? Well he is not a true supporter with NTFC running through his veins and by his own admission is looking to sell the club. Therefore, whatever your view he does not offer a desirable solution for the medium and long term future of the club? However, as a non-supporter/investor he comes across as a decent guy who has not exposed the club to unsustainable debt to outside creditors and as a result has maintained a solvent club for the supporters to enjoy? Further to this he has apparently pumped millions of unsecured finance into the club for which he and his associates deserve a lot of credit? Does he offer an attractive and positive future, obviously not? However, at this point in time I will be grateful for his tenure given the fact that he has offered financial stability and protection from outside creditors during his tenure?  I personally think that when you compare him to other investors such as McRichie and Cardoza he is a decent and genuine guy? Is he the ideal guy to have at the helm, clearly not? Does that ideal owner exist, at this point in time I am not sure they do? But when vilifying and condemning Kelvin Thomas and his associates what is the alternative that offers an attractive and attainable future for the club we all (and I emphasise all) love?
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2020, 09:30:42 am »

Yet you expect others to read every word of yours?

If you dont mind a smattering of flattery Terry, you are clearly an eloquent upstanding thoughtful, not to mention impressively intelligent individual (at least much more so than me, but that's all my opinion only, you'll understand  Grin), uet for me from my vantage point, you are clearly in denial.
You've just started, if I understand correctly, that the primary outstanding issue for you surrounding this whole glaring lack of redevelopment, has nothing to do with that issue at all but rather it's the supposedly undemocratic election(?) process that continues within a supporter group aligned to the club, which taints the stance and questioning that body has towards our clubs owners.
That tops everything else for you?

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I honestly fear one thing above all. That somebody would take anything about football seriously enough to be offended by it. If one thing comes from the current madness, it has to be the need for us to focus on what is really important. Every time I hear people saying that they wish to "get back to normal" I think they are mad. Surely before all of this, the attention that we lavished on many insignificant things in our lives, should at the very least make us all consider pressing the reset button and look at where we really place our attention. That is not to say that we should abandon everything; but all of us should exit this with a better sense of context.

In no way do I condone what KT is doing (show me where I have in recent years). In order for that to be addressed there has to be an organised, salient, and non resentful foil to his plans. It needs to be a force to be reckoned with. For that to be achieved by the Trust, it has to mobilise it's membership and galvanise the support. It has failed spectacularly at that. I am not doubting the erudition of it's parts, but it lacks the passion of a  Rob Marshall, or a Brian Lomax. In order to galvanise support, you can't sit round in a room, tearing apart the legalities and going through things with a fine tooth comb. That is the last thing that will appeal to the average supporter. You could count the amount of supporters on one hand (after a decent sawmill accident) that would give a shyte about the ethics of football, as long as they win promotions and trophies. The Trust board quite simply has got it wrong. It has misinterpreted and over complicated the whole thing. With the exception of a very few people, nobody cares about legal caveats and off shore accounts, they just need a good old fashioned rallying call, from someone they can identify with. I admit, that is not me. But every time I hear that there is going to be another release about a rehash of another distant community model. Or that someone has discovered some hidden paper in a vault that proves once again that KT's a naughty boy, I just despair.

The Trust was created on passion, power and appeal to the support. If it can recreate that, KT will be in trouble, as would anyone that does not hold only the clubs interest at it's heart. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2020, 12:02:38 pm »

I honestly fear one thing above all. That somebody would take anything about football seriously enough to be offended by it. If one thing comes from the current madness, it has to be the need for us to focus on what is really important. Every time I hear people saying that they wish to "get back to normal" I think they are mad. Surely before all of this, the attention that we lavished on many insignificant things in our lives, should at the very least make us all consider pressing the reset button and look at where we really place our attention. That is not to say that we should abandon everything; but all of us should exit this with a better sense of context.

In no way do I condone what KT is doing (show me where I have in recent years). In order for that to be addressed there has to be an organised, salient, and non resentful foil to his plans. It needs to be a force to be reckoned with. For that to be achieved by the Trust, it has to mobilise it's membership and galvanise the support. It has failed spectacularly at that. I am not doubting the erudition of it's parts, but it lacks the passion of a  Rob Marshall, or a Brian Lomax. In order to galvanise support, you can't sit round in a room, tearing apart the legalities and going through things with a fine tooth comb. That is the last thing that will appeal to the average supporter. You could count the amount of supporters on one hand (after a decent sawmill accident) that would give a shyte about the ethics of football, as long as they win promotions and trophies. The Trust board quite simply has got it wrong. It has misinterpreted and over complicated the whole thing. With the exception of a very few people, nobody cares about legal caveats and off shore accounts, they just need a good old fashioned rallying call, from someone they can identify with. I admit, that is not me. But every time I hear that there is going to be another release about a rehash of another distant community model. Or that someone has discovered some hidden paper in a vault that proves once again that KT's a naughty boy, I just despair.

The Trust was created on passion, power and appeal to the support. If it can recreate that, KT will be in trouble, as would anyone that does not hold only the clubs interest at it's heart. 
A very good post Terry if you dont mind me saying.
And who'd have thought Brian Lomax, (I was for almost 30 years a very close neighbour so knew his idiosyncrasies), would have been that plain speaking energiser of people. He was an erudite speaker and a true man of conviction but I imagine we think of someone more akin to Dan the leader of the singing gang and poster on here, or dare I say it a right thinking Stephen Yaxley Lennon when we imagine a mobiliser of fans with the common touch. Forgive me Dan!
I disagree KT would be in trouble with any fan movement though. He's absolutely not bothered by any supporter group or model, he's far too skilled for it too cause any issues in his world in my opinion. That's my point about Trust detractors. You say you wouldnt be the man we need but your posts lead me to think we could have a lot worse if you were to switch your thoughts towards the machine that is the club ownership and away from the frailties of the Trust, or better still directing your energies through the Trust in the direction of the club.
Regarding 'getting real' as a result of what is currently going on, my opinion is this will only lead to the rich getting richer while the rest of us continue to suffer in our own way while accepting/believing that the best is being done by those others for us.
Context... yes for a start of some of the billions that have poured into football should pour out again, but I don't think that will be a bad thing. Anyone that thinks the landscape will irrevocably change as result of football clubs going bust doesnt understand football or where it comes from in my opinion. It might be labelled the beautiful game these days but it's also still and will remain the peoples game. There will always be a senior club in Northampton/shire that will attract thousands of supporters/followers. You've only got to look at the history of phoenix clubs to see that, the best example I can think of being Wimbledon.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2020, 12:18:04 pm »

...someone more akin to Dan the leader of the singing gang and poster on here, or dare I say it a right thinking Stephen Yaxley Lennon when we imagine a mobiliser of fans with the common touch. Forgive me Dan!

Blimey, that's the very definition of a back handed compliment, mentioning poor Dan in the same breath as that rabble rousing c0ck smear!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest3338

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:01 pm »

I don't profess to know either only going on impressions and instinct, so perhaps I got that one wrong!

Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2020, 12:51:27 pm »

So I return to the same point, assuming these opinions are vindicated and the current owners have failed the club, what and who comes next? Whether it’s the owners, a manager, whatever, vilifying and condemning the present is the easy bit, negotiating a path to an alternative and obvious improvement should be the overriding priority and emphasis in any debate? So, whether it be the redevelopment thread, here, or Curle out, constant criticism is pointless without an indication of an attainable alternative? This has been my argument all along and it continues to be a persistent failure in the endless discussions and protestations of many? FFS what is the real alternative that offers a realistically achievable and brighter future? I promise you, if it’s attractive and attainable I’m on board and so will be most others?

To label me as someone who knows the problem (the current owners) but offers no solution I think your memory is failing you.  I have long advocated the Bundesliga 50+1 model as an alternative. See the Redevelopment thread and this was well before COVID-19.

And despite the continuing obsession with the Trust exhibited by the Man Who Would Be King, despite CJ's best efforts, events are moving in the general direction I am supporting.  In case it has not come to readers attention please see the following:

https://damiancollins.com/a-way-forward-for-football/

I think it is time to transfer this thread to where it belongs in Cobblers Corner rather than hiding it in the backwoods of this site.  The face masks debate is done and dusted but this debate is going to run.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2020, 16:46:41 pm »

I'll add one other thing in response to your point about people taking football over seriously especially in these times.
I cremated my father today. He was a man of varied interests and of some intelligence having travelled extensively for a man of his age. But he was buried in claret and blue and I wore claret and blue and the beautiful flowers our florist managed to source were also centred perfectly around claret and blue. Dad was from a working class family from Handsworth/Aston, thinking they'd gone up in the world when moving to Kingstanding and a council house with no bathroom and outside loo in his childhood. Nothing special there. His younger brother my uncle now aged 80 was on Villa's books and offered professional terms of 18 quid a week, but told by grandad he couldn't accept it because he was already on 23 quid a week as an apprentice. Perhaps football was overly important to dads family bearing in mind the family link, but I actually think not. It was just as important to my mothers family and  no one on her side signed for the Villa. Football was, and in certain places still is as important as it gets, and although it's became laiden with glitter, it really need not have... it just needed cleaning up, because it will always in my opinion, remain the number one sport for the majority.
Thankfully, dad forgave me a long time ago for following my own team just down the road.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2020, 18:28:29 pm »

I'll add one other thing in response to your point about people taking football over seriously especially in these times.
I cremated my father today. He was a man of varied interests and of some intelligence having travelled extensively for a man of his age. But he was buried in claret and blue and I wore claret and blue and the beautiful flowers our florist managed to source were also centred perfectly around claret and blue. Dad was from a working class family from Handsworth/Aston, thinking they'd gone up in the world when moving to Kingstanding and a council house with no bathroom and outside loo in his childhood. Nothing special there. His younger brother my uncle now aged 80 was on Villa's books and offered professional terms of 18 quid a week, but told by grandad he couldn't accept it because he was already on 23 quid a week as an apprentice. Perhaps football was overly important to dads family bearing in mind the family link, but I actually think not. It was just as important to my mothers family and  no one on her side signed for the Villa. Football was, and in certain places still is as important as it gets, and although it's became laiden with glitter, it really need not have... it just needed cleaning up, because it will always in my opinion, remain the number one sport for the majority.
Thankfully, dad forgave me a long time ago for following my own team just down the road.

Thoughts are now with you today CJ, I hope the occasion went as well as it could have been expected, in these unique circumstances that we are in...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2020, 19:17:11 pm »

Blimey, that's the very definition of a back handed compliment, mentioning poor Dan in the same breath as that rabble rousing c0ck smear!  Grin
Tommy Robinson is not a rabble rouser. He couldnt raise a crowd. He is inarticulate, poorly spoken, has a tiny group of sycophants that follow him around, and resorts to Facebook to get his point across. Which lead to his latest prison sentence, for contempt of court. What a tw@t. He knew what he was doing. And has been very quiet since his release, ironically sporting an Islamic style beard. Far right (or left) leaders need to be able to control a crowd when they speak. And he did not have that ability. I have nothing but contempt for the little sh!t. And the worst part? He was a Luton Town fan.
Which brings me to another point. There was some bits on social media yesterday, of Nigel Farage out in the channel filming massively overloaded dinghies being escorted towards British waters by French Warships. (Farage could do a public speech by the way) He was told over the radio, that if he did not get out of the way, and stop filming, that he would be arrested and his boat impounded. This is in INTERNATIONAL WATERS. I was fuming. Angry
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2020, 20:22:45 pm »

Tommy Robinson is not a rabble rouser. He couldnt raise a crowd. He is inarticulate, poorly spoken, has a tiny group of sycophants that follow him around, and resorts to Facebook to get his point across. Which lead to his latest prison sentence, for contempt of court. What a tw@t. He knew what he was doing. And has been very quiet since his release, ironically sporting an Islamic style beard. Far right (or left) leaders need to be able to control a crowd when they speak. And he did not have that ability. I have nothing but contempt for the little sh!t. And the worst part? He was a Luton Town fan.

I agree, he's a repugnant, weasly little dipshìt of the lowest order. He does manage to appeal to the lowest common denominator though. I've seen plenty of people on social media ramble on about how "good old Tommy" looks into things everyone else ignores, like all these paedo Muslim gangs.... It's bloody infuriating; the bell end was arrested, charged and rightfully convicted for contempt of court for reporting on a trial while reporting restrictions were in place to ensure a sound conviction was achieved. Far from being some sort of crusader, if anything his actions made it more likely that they'd get off. The most frustrating thing is the "good old Tommy" brigade conveniently ignore the very fact that it was a trial he was "reporting" on (i e. rambling to his minions online) meant the authorities, from social services to the police to the CPS, already had the situation well in hand before Mr Yaxley-Lennon struck his oar in.

Rant over! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2020, 21:03:09 pm »

I cremated my father today.

My sincerest condolences CJ.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2020, 23:39:22 pm »

My sincerest condolences CJ.
I’m so sorry R, may I second that.
Report Spam   Logged

Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2020, 06:39:04 am »

CJ, to add my condolences. Your father was a dedicated Villan. RIP
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: