The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:49:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 145   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2020 Transfer Window  (Read 208632 times)
the grumpy old man

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2020, 15:31:42 pm »

You mean Wigan who got bought by a hedge fund that then put the club straight into admin a month later?

Or maybe Bury, Wimbledon, Scarborough, Halifax, Hereford that no longer exist.

Or the multitude of existing FL clubs absolutely riddled with debt as we head into a financial crisis.

Tell me, exactly why would a non-fan investor subsidize us for millions per year? What motive have they got that is aligned with the future sustainability and benefit of the club? How do we ensure they aren't another dodgy Chinese company, or Cardoza?

I've followed the forum for over a decade and you've always been the first to chirp up over signing 6 figure strikers. Every bloody window.

Halifax are in the National League and won a play off place only to be beaten by Boreham Wood, so they are not far off. Boreham Wood have an average gate of 700 so if they get into League 2 they are going to find life difficult, unless there is some investment.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2020, 15:39:44 pm »

I’m only posting facts.

You are kidding yourself ... again. You have never posted a fact in your life; only a comment to suit your negative agenda.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 15:49:51 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #282 on: July 22, 2020, 15:46:34 pm »

I wouldn’t worry too much we all know the score anyway...

The Royal 'We' again; as if you speak for all of us Roll Eyes  If you can sow as much discord and doomsday scenarios then that will make you a happy chappie.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 15:50:28 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #283 on: July 22, 2020, 16:52:18 pm »

I wouldn’t worry too much we all know the score anyway...
Sold to higher level club
Undisclosed fee...
Not until the end of the window though as still on a season ticket drive...

Nearer the start of next season we will sign a load of loans and free transfers with no long term ambition whilst trotting out excuses about coronavirus etc..

All very plausible if it weren’t for the fact that Swindon for example were prepared to pay £200k plus for a striker but lost out to blackpool.

It’s also worth remembering that Swindon didn’t have a record breaking cup run that pulled in roughly £750k (250k of which was definitely a bonus that was conveniently forgotten about especially now we need to strengthen for a higher level)

Last time we were in this league KT proclaimed this club needed extra investment to be competitive in this league...
The chinese shambles ensued.

This year it’s obvious from his own mouth that KT isn’t the man to help make us a league one club as he hasn’t the money.
This year it’ll be even more stark as owners can invest in clubs in order to buy players but can no longer claim the money as loans to the club that need to be paid back

The stadium needs addressing by the end of the month and better players need signing to help us stay in this division.

It won’t be long before we find out if our owners can compete with the likes of Swindon and actually go after decent signings or string us along on the way to a quick relegation.

I know what I think but I very much hope I’m wrong...

Let’s hope KT makes a better job of getting investors on board this time so we have a fighting chance or maybe just maybe he will fund things himself....

In May, Swindon Town chairman Lee Power told a court that the club could go into administration as he failed to overturn an injunction preventing its sale.

Boss Ritchie Wellens will need to completely rebuild his front line following promotion.

Prolific striker Eoin Doyle (25 goals) and Keshi Anderson (six goals) turned down new deals to sign for Bolton and Blackpool respectively. Jerry Yates (13 goals) looks set to move elsewhere after his loan from Rotherham expired. The trio contributed 44 of the club’s 62 goals on the way to the title. If only they’d chucked some money at these 3? A fine example to all league 1 clubs looking for longevity in the division, apparently you’re being a bit selective with your facts? Stick to hammering tacks in shoes mate!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 17:03:53 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2020, 17:05:17 pm »

In May, Swindon Town chairman Lee Power told a court that the club could go into administration as he failed to overturn an injunction preventing its sale.

Boss Ritchie Wellens will need to completely rebuild his front line following promotion.

Prolific striker Eoin Doyle (25 goals) and Keshi Anderson (six goals) turned down new deals to sign for Bolton and Blackpool respectively. Jerry Yates (13 goals) looks set to move elsewhere after his loan from Rotherham expired. The trio contributed 44 of the club’s 62 goals on the way to the title. A fine example to all league 1 clubs looking for longevity in the division, apparently you’re being a bit selective with your facts? Stick to hammering tacks in shoes mate!

In fairness Swindon bid £200,000 for Yates but he went to blackpool for £250,000 plus add ons
Get back to me when we match that sort of ambition .....
We currently can’t get vadaine Oliver to re sign who would be on a fraction of Jerry Yates wage.
That’s where we are.
But who knows we need a couple of proven strikers to replace Morton williams and waters and who knows we may yet sign a couple of players of the quality of Jerry Yates.
Time will tell
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 22, 2020, 17:20:15 pm »

In fairness Swindon bid £200,000 for Yates but he went to blackpool for £250,000 plus add ons
Get back to me when we match that sort of ambition .....
We currently can’t get vadaine Oliver to re sign who would be on a fraction of Jerry Yates wage.
That’s where we are.
But who knows we need a couple of proven strikers to replace Morton williams and waters and who knows we may yet sign a couple of players of the quality of Jerry Yates.
Time will tell
IMO it’s a bit silly to draw comparisons without commenting on a clubs financial position and their ability to sustain their current spending? Lots of reckless behaviour out there that would be suicidal to replicate?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 22, 2020, 17:25:42 pm »

IMO it’s a bit silly to draw comparisons without commenting on a clubs financial position and their ability to sustain their current spending? Lots of reckless behaviour out there that would be suicidal to replicate?
We will only know at the end of the season when the promotions and relegations are dealt out who has made the right decisions....
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 22, 2020, 17:30:12 pm »

On a separate subject the clubs current owners were apparently 5 million in pre Covid? Should anyone be critical of the ambition of those running the club I would be curious to know the amount of investment considered reasonable on a league 2/1 club during the length their tenure? My personal advice is to spend at least 20% less than the income but I’m just a tw@t obviously?
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 22, 2020, 17:32:06 pm »

We will only know at the end of the season when the promotions and relegations are dealt out who has made the right decisions....
Or who is still solvent, according to Bury fans anyway?
Report Spam   Logged

guest3355

« Reply #289 on: July 22, 2020, 18:49:02 pm »

Shoemaker is an idiot sandwich.

Just posting facts.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #290 on: July 22, 2020, 19:00:14 pm »

Or who is still solvent, according to Bury fans anyway?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53492243?at_campaign=64&at_custom3=Match+of+the+Day&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_custom1=[post+type]&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=FFA57C92-CB75-11EA-88E2-FB9DFCA12A29
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 22, 2020, 20:53:57 pm »

No Michael Jacobs in the Wigan squad tonight....
No info whatsoever but could he be coming home or would he cost too much in wages??
Doesn’t look like he has a future at Wigan...
What do others think
Would he be a good signing??
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #292 on: July 22, 2020, 20:56:53 pm »

WBA up to Prem, so is Callum Morton available for loan?
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 23, 2020, 02:36:12 am »

It’s just heartbreaking isn’t it? Some idiot with cash on the hip fancies a game of fantasy club ownership and this is the end result. I know I sound like a broken record but FFS. Anyone baiting their owners to spend millions in an attempt to indulge their own dreams and aspirations needs dragging onto the pitch at halftime, put into stocks and pelted with fruit? That’s  IMO of course? Sensible sustainable spending for division one please, and let the others jump off a financial cliff if they want to? That’s my view anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #294 on: July 23, 2020, 09:26:00 am »

I cant see us signing any Championship players such as Jacobs, i dont think people realise the gap in wages from league 1 to the champ, the average wage is around 16k for the division. I cant imagine we have ever paid anyone half of that.

There is a suggestion from a barrow fan we had a decent bid put in for 6'4 striker Scott Quigley but he has signed a new 3 year deal, no idea if our offer was true or not. Im not worried about Oliver re-signing, I think he will anyway, but i dont want us to push the boat out. This is a forward that I don't believe ever hit double digits in league, in fact I think his best total is 7 goals. You can argue that he is not in the team for his goals, but still, it wouldnt harm.

If he ever wants to play league one, it will be with us. If not I would happily go after another target man.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 23, 2020, 10:13:07 am »

Much talk of players of the ilk of Jacobs “not interested” due to salaries being halved? Well most of the professional commentary I’ve heard talks of massive cuts in playing budgets and squads? Possibly 3 or 4 clubs minimum going to the wall by Christmas and a significant number of quality professionals left without a contract due to not taking the reduced deals on offer, because they were deemed laughable at the time? It’s like many supporters are completely oblivious to what is really going on? Lower league football was in crisis before Covid 19, and now it is facing the biggest test since its conception and that is a fact. If some of these so called “in demand” players and their agents think they are going to p155 clubs about whilst they weigh up the multiple big contracts on offer they are on drugs? IMO there is going to be a slow dawning realisation as to what’s coming and a mad panic to grab a chair before the music stops? Don’t be surprised if we end up with better players than Jacobs on our books in the January window playing for a fraction of what they were on before? People have to understand what’s coming, many of the clubs are owned by business people and many businesses are really struggling. The folly of football will go straight out of the window when these owners come under financial pressure and many undoubtedly already are? I can’t emphasise this point enough, some football clubs are probably already doomed? In the unlikely event players do pick up a bigger contract the real achievement will be getting it paid beyond Christmas? Take the pi55 and carry on fiddling whilst Rome burns if you like, but don’t be surprised if we are playing in the Championship next season because there won’t be enough full time professional clubs to make up a division below it? Overly pessimistic maybe, but not as anywhere near as unrealistic as you would believe? All that matters right now is solvency and just maybe we’ll still have a club to support in 3 or 4 years time?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:28:10 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #296 on: July 23, 2020, 11:44:18 am »

Much talk of players of the ilk of Jacobs “not interested” due to salaries being halved? Well most of the professional commentary I’ve heard talks of massive cuts in playing budgets and squads? Possibly 3 or 4 clubs minimum going to the wall by Christmas and a significant number of quality professionals left without a contract due to not taking the reduced deals on offer, because they were deemed laughable at the time? It’s like many supporters are completely oblivious to what is really going on? Lower league football was in crisis before Covid 19, and now it is facing the biggest test since its conception and that is a fact. If some of these so called “in demand” players and their agents think they are going to p155 clubs about whilst they weigh up the multiple big contracts on offer they are on drugs? IMO there is going to be a slow dawning realisation as to what’s coming and a mad panic to grab a chair before the music stops? Don’t be surprised if we end up with better players than Jacobs on our books in the January window playing for a fraction of what they were on before? People have to understand what’s coming, many of the clubs are owned by business people and many businesses are really struggling. The folly of football will go straight out of the window when these owners come under financial pressure and many undoubtedly already are? I can’t emphasise this point enough, some football clubs are probably already doomed? In the unlikely event players do pick up a bigger contract the real achievement will be getting it paid beyond Christmas? Take the pi55 and carry on fiddling whilst Rome burns if you like, but don’t be surprised if we are playing in the Championship next season because there won’t be enough full time professional clubs to make up a division below it? Overly pessimistic maybe, but not as anywhere near as unrealistic as you would believe? All that matters right now is solvency and just maybe we’ll still have a club to support in 3 or 4 years time?

Brilliant post in terms of people needing a reality check
Football and the rest of the world is a very different place to the one 6 months ago
I’d rather have a season of struggle and surviving for years to come than throw away the work of making us sustainable. We have all heard of clubs like Wigan, Sheffield Wednesday and Huddersfield who could disappear yet through all this we haven’t had any inclination that the club could fold and that’s something we should be grateful to the board for.
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #297 on: July 23, 2020, 11:49:57 am »

That’s where we are.

Maybe we aren’t willing to meet his terms and it’s not a case of us failing. Remember he’s had a few clubs before us so doesn’t stick around.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2020, 12:03:59 pm »

Three things;

1; I'm sure MC is correct. We need prudence.

2: From the owner's perspective they are probably looking for clarity regarding Goode and any transfer fee offered (KT made it pretty clear he was interested in offers with his comments) and forming an effective Budget post that.

3; It's probably in both the club's and potential signings interest's to think one year contract only. Renegotiate next Summer when the Covid situation may be clearer.

One wonders how this whole situation has affected the income streams of the football industry generally.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #299 on: July 23, 2020, 12:32:41 pm »

Three things;

1; I'm sure MC is correct. We need prudence.

2: From the owner's perspective they are probably looking for clarity regarding Goode and any transfer fee offered (KT made it pretty clear he was interested in offers with his comments) and forming an effective Budget post that.

3; It's probably in both the club's and potential signings interest's to think one year contract only. Renegotiate next Summer when the Covid situation may be clearer.

One wonders how this whole situation has affected the income streams of the football industry generally.

Sounds sensible but Harriman and Hoskins have both already signed for 2 more years - I can’t remember who said it (it may have been Shoey in which case take it with a pinch of salt) but if Oliver is only being offered a year then he is probably entitled to be a bit peed off/considering his options. With Goode we are in a rare case of being in a strong position - his stock is never going to be as high and we have him under contract for 2 more years which should mean we are likely to get what he’s worth - it’s just typical that the ar*e has fallen out of the transfer market.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 145   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: