The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:56:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 145   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2020 Transfer Window  (Read 208572 times)
memyhead

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2020, 07:33:15 am »

Rumours i've seen so far are...

George Thomas (ex Cov/Leicester)
Jamie Devitt (again! - still got a year left at Blackpool so not sure we would pay a fee for him)
Emmanuel Osadebe

Probably all bollox with their agents just touting them about
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2020, 08:02:14 am »

It is reported that approaches have already been made to some players and will be stepped up now we know what league we are in.

Complications like not knowing when the season will start makes planning uncertain.

My priorities would be the signing of the two loan players Wharton and Morton. Adding two more strikers with pace, two footballing midfielders and a left back...........easy?
Plus another centre half to replace Turnbull

Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2020, 08:22:13 am »

Plus another centre half to replace Turnbull

Probably will need three new centre backs won't we, if three at the back is retained?

Jay Williams gone too, remember.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2020, 08:29:56 am »

Rumours i've seen so far are...

George Thomas (ex Cov/Leicester)
Jamie Devitt (again! - still got a year left at Blackpool so not sure we would pay a fee for him)
Emmanuel Osadebe

Probably all bollox with their agents just touting them about

This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but he just helped me get promotion to the Championship in football manager, so knowing nothing about him in real life I'd be a fan of that.
Report Spam   Logged
TheShoeArmy1897

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2020, 09:15:31 am »

Just seen via the Chron that Curle's already met with one player about signing and has started other convos

"I met with a player on Wednesday and I'm due to have another meeting with him, either on Friday or Monday, but ultimately the decision comes down to - does he see this as the right move for him?"

Have to say one thing I have liked about Curle has been recruitment. JFH winter window of madness saw a lot brought in for a payday or ridiculous contracts at this level. Curle has genuinely looked strict on signing players who want to be there and will listen to him.
Report Spam   Logged

Big City lights have never, and will never ever bother me
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2020, 13:12:06 pm »

We have lost 16 players, 13 released and the 3 loans going back to their parent clubs. Of these 16 I would only expect 8 to be replaced as 6 of the released players were youngsters  and together with Hall-Johnson and Waters and not close to the first team. This also takes 8 players off the wage bill but most would have been low earners.
KC has peviously stated wanting 2 players for each position so with this in mind I see us wanting the following replacements based on the following criteria:-
1.The 3 players offered new contracts accept.
2.The players already under contract for next season remain. If we are successful in moving any of them on then they would also need replacing.
3.We continue to play 3-4-1-2 as per the last few games.
Goalkeeper. I hope that Cornell's replacement is going to be someone who can challenge Arnold for the jersey and not a cheap understudy to sit on the bench. Cornell had faults but also made some stunning instinctive saves, have not yet seen these from Arnold but he coped admirably with what little he had to do in the last 2 games. I prefer a keeper who is going to come for crosses and command his area rather than one who does not come off his line.
Strikers. 2 needed with hopefully 1 being the return of Morton, the other being a similar type of player as we have 2 target men.
Player behind the front 2. I assume this will be Hoskins role now with Warburton as back up.
Wide men. We have Harriman who has performed consistently, usually on the right. Marshall also usually on the right but either capable of playing on the left. Assuming Adams maintains form and remains injury free he will be a fixture on the other side. Young Roberts and Martin also left sided. With some players being flexible which side they play and also Hoskins can play wide will KC think he has enough cover?
Midfield 2. Watson will continue to be first choice providing he maintains form and fitness.which means we need a replacement for McCormack - preferably a similar tough tackler. Lines, McWilliams and Pollock as back up.
Defensive back 3. Only Goode remains and apart from Jones being here for a few weeks we have not had cover but Harriman and Martin have both played there when needed. In fact I know that we have not seen Martin play much but I thought when he played in the back 3 he probably had his best game. Overall I think we need to sign 3 with 1 hopefully being the return of Wharton.
Comments have been made regarding some of the players contracted for next season but we have had past players who have not impressed in their first season but then come good. Remember CW put JJO't on the transfer list.
Report Spam   Logged
Pablo69

View Profile
Level 5 Signature Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2020, 13:36:14 pm »

Has Keith allowed Turnbull  to go (surprised me) to free up wages to allow us to make an offer for Wharton?  He would be an excellent permanent  signing and Blackburn do not seem to need  him.
Report Spam   Logged

"The voice of reason"
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2020, 14:10:30 pm »

Turnbull was the last big money signing by JFH during the 5U Sport era - where the money never actually materialised!

KC said Turnbull has been on "high end L1 wages" ever since signing and thought it would be insulting to offer him such a reduced wage and that he probably would not have been incentivized like he has been on a reduced wage.

I absolutely love Turnbull and would have offered him something but completely understand the reasoning behind it.

KC has dramatically reduced the wage bill since coming in, and has now got us promoted on a significantly reduced budget from the one he inherited. He's maintaining good house keeping which is exactly what's required more than ever in the current climate.

There are going to be hundreds of quality players out of contract so it's up to Simon Tracey etc to find us another Morton/Wharton etc.

At least we ain't got Melville shopping for us!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2020, 15:34:29 pm »

Turnbull could come back if he can't find a suitable club, to play for us on that reduced contract?  A possibility?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2020, 16:00:45 pm »

You'd think that one year contracts at an affordable level would be popular for both player and club. Player and club benefit and next renegotiation at a point in time when we've got a clearer picture with regard to the virus going forward.
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2020, 19:36:53 pm »

Chambers to return to finish his career, as Ipswich are looking for a replacement Championship-level central defender.

Jacobs to pop back on loan (or permanent), as Wigan are up the spout.

A random signing of McGeady from Sunderland, so that we are over-blessed with wide players.

A mad signing of Ravell Morrison on loan from Sheffield United.  (he is not mad.... and he is real quality.  He needs a manager that will take his time with him. A perfect match with Curley-Cobblers).

Sheffield Weds prospect on loan....  Hunt.

Non-league prospects..... Holohan from Hartlepool (like for like with Warburton).  Reprise of Kane Ferdinand.  Adams from Barnet.  Plus... top-tip.... Nolan from Halifax.

You heard it here, first.

That is, aside from my predictions of the success under Curle.  Eat my sh(ee)t, you message-board tw@ts.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2020, 19:42:37 pm »

Are you off your meds?  Try going and lying down in a dark room.
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2020, 19:47:38 pm »

Are you off your meds?  Try going and lying down in a dark room.

Thank you for your input.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2020, 20:50:45 pm »

Turnbull could come back if he can't find a suitable club, to play for us on that reduced contract?  A possibility?

That's what I heard
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2020, 21:15:50 pm »

Chambers to return to finish his career, as Ipswich are looking for a replacement Championship-level central defender.

Jacobs to pop back on loan (or permanent), as Wigan are up the spout.

A random signing of McGeady from Sunderland, so that we are over-blessed with wide players.

A mad signing of Ravell Morrison on loan from Sheffield United.  (he is not mad.... and he is real quality.  He needs a manager that will take his time with him. A perfect match with Curley-Cobblers).

Sheffield Weds prospect on loan....  Hunt.

Non-league prospects..... Holohan from Hartlepool (like for like with Warburton).  Reprise of Kane Ferdinand.  Adams from Barnet.  Plus... top-tip.... Nolan from Halifax.

You heard it here, first.

That is, aside from my predictions of the success under Curle.  Eat my sh(ee)t, you message-board tw@ts.

McGeady is 34yrs winger
Hunt is possibility only 20yrs midfielder
Chambers is 34yrs central def
Jacobs a possibility especially if Wigan go bust
Ravel Morrison aged 27yrs - midfielder cant see KC entertaining this guy.
Holohan Midfielder doubtful 
Kane Ferdinand - no chance Ex Cobblers who failed here
Charlie Adams - Barnet, another Midfielder  - doubtful
Nolan Halifax - another mid fielder also doubtful

Interesting set of names too many wingers and midfielders not enough scorers let alone defenders.

Keep 'em coming tho'.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2020, 23:29:49 pm »

McGeady is 34yrs winger
Hunt is possibility only 20yrs midfielder
Chambers is 34yrs central def
Jacobs a possibility especially if Wigan go bust
Ravel Morrison aged 27yrs - midfielder cant see KC entertaining this guy.
Holohan Midfielder doubtful 
Kane Ferdinand - no chance Ex Cobblers who failed here
Charlie Adams - Barnet, another Midfielder  - doubtful
Nolan Halifax - another mid fielder also doubtful

Interesting set of names too many wingers and midfielders not enough scorers let alone defenders.

Keep 'em coming tho'.

Old heads required at this level for us to gain stability.

Playing 3-5-2 requires a flood of midfielders.

If we finish next season above 17th, then, that is success.

A couple of big names will come in.... the type of names you think "why did they sign for us?"  But most will be players that you have never heard of (and wished you did, once they play).

My sources?  Usually Mayonnaise-based......
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2020, 12:59:40 pm »

KC has said that he has spoken to WBA and Blackburn about the possibility of Morton and Wharton returning next season. Noticably he has not mentioned Olayinka.
Report Spam   Logged
guest216

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2020, 14:46:27 pm »

My prediction is Curle will opt for players who look underwhelming on paper but can thrive on our style of football. (i.e. hardworking and physical) I don't think anyone could have predicted Oliver to be as integral to our season as he was.

And as has been commented elsewhere, given Covid we're likely to see much tighter squads across the league than before. This might mean we'd potentially be able to secure players of a higher calibre just from the allure of job security, especially those getting into their 30s.

Aside from the obvious CB requirements, the priorities for me;

Defensive wing-backs (x2): both as cover for Harriman and a defensive alternative to Adams against bigger clubs.

Energetic DM: straight replacement for Macca but ideally with more mobility. Fitness permitting I reckon McWilliams is more than capable, however we'd still probably want a more senior player as well.

Mobile strikers (x2): one loanee, one permanent. Ideally Morton, but if not a player of that ilk that runs the channels all game and feed off Oliver. Smith wont be good enough for League One, but adequate cover for Oliver.

Utility men (x2): players that can fill various roles as injury covers. Thinking of someone like David Hunt, or more recently the role Hoskins has done for us. Don't need to be technically brilliant, just hard working and stick to Curles gameplan.

I'm genuinely optimistic about next season and think we'll surprise a few. Say what you want about Curle, but if we do go down you know it will be with a fight rather than the complete capitulation like the previous two relegations.

Will say any idea of Ravel Morrison joining us is complete fantasy. Huge wages, absolutely no inclination or motivation to play for a club our size, and completely at odds with the style of football and personality Curle likes.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2020, 15:33:41 pm »

Probably one of the most interesting close seasons in many a year due to various clubs financial position? Doing business early may be regrettable, as I expect quite a few quality players may hold out for big money and then struggle to find a club? On the other hand if you delay you may miss out altogether, so do you stick or twist? The holy grail of signings is a 20 goal+ a season striker so any deal for Morton has to be a priority, obviously along with replacements for McCormack and Turnbull? A big ask but as others have said KCs recruitment to date has been exceptional, so I am personally very hopeful there is some real quality on the horizon?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 15:35:18 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2020, 21:59:36 pm »

Rhys Bennett was mentioned earlier in the thread and has been released by Posh
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 145   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: