The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:06:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 145   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2020 Transfer Window  (Read 208552 times)
west stand oap

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:13 am »

Could we be interested in Nathan Smith from Port Vale who has rejected a new contract as he wants to play in a higher division. Came through their youth system, centre back who in the last 4 seasons has played a total of 199 games and scored 11 goals. Still only 24 and could be a shrewd addition to our squad if we could get him.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2020, 12:18:33 pm »

Could we be interested in Nathan Smith from Port Vale who has rejected a new contract as he wants to play in a higher division. Came through their youth system, centre back who in the last 4 seasons has played a total of 199 games and scored 11 goals. Still only 24 and could be a shrewd addition to our squad if we could get him.
I don’t know the player but I do know Port Vale defended superbly against us at Sixfields and KC would have taken a lot of notice that day
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2020, 13:18:27 pm »

Can't see it. He's been touted by Championship clubs for a couple of years now, he's out of contract so he'll have his pick.

We won't be paying silly wages again (thankfully!) nor should we as there'll be plenty of unattached half decent players available.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2020, 13:53:30 pm »

I don’t know the player but I do know Port Vale defended superbly against us at Sixfields and KC would have taken a lot of notice that day

I agree that port vale defended very well in that game but Nathan smith only came on for the last 5 minutes, I think he was coming back from injury.  I’ve always been impressed by Leon legge but at his age I can’t see him playing at a higher level.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2020, 13:57:07 pm »

The one thing I do think we need going up a level is experience as we’ve lost McCormack,Turnbull and Williams and I think that experience will be missed in league one if not replaced...
Report Spam   Logged
Travelaway

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2020, 14:01:59 pm »

2 according to Wiki.

Had that car crash and did not return until January.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/18188912.bolton-defender-joe-bunney-battling-back-car-crash-injuries/
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2020, 14:30:02 pm »

The one thing I do think we need going up a level is experience as we’ve lost McCormack,Turnbull and Williams and I think that experience will be missed in league one if not replaced...

I agree that having an experienced pro around who is a good character Is so important and can bring up the performances of those playing around him which is why releasing McCormack was a big disappointment.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2020, 15:00:30 pm »

As great a player McCormack has been, he is past his best, hardly managed to keep fit to play in League Two, League One would be too far a jump for him in terms of fitness.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2020, 15:16:21 pm »

I agree that having an experienced pro around who is a good character Is so important and can bring up the performances of those playing around him which is why releasing McCormack was a big disappointment.

We definitely need a player of that type. Shaun McWilliams may yet grow into that role but I think we need someone experienced in now. Could we ask Wilder/Knill for suggestions?
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2020, 15:27:23 pm »

As great a player McCormack has been, he is past his best, hardly managed to keep fit to play in League Two, League One would be too far a jump for him in terms of fitness.

I think it’s very harsh to say he’s past his best, when he plays I think he’s one of the better players and still easily capable of playing at league 1 level. While I appreciate there are issues relating to fitness and injury as I said before I think the impact he probably has on younger players both when on the pitch and in the dressing room can’t be underestimated. When I look at the rest of the squad I do wonder where the characters are that can have that impact on other players maybe when things aren’t maybe going well.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2020, 15:48:42 pm »

Our best performances all came when McCormack was in the team. He's still a terrific player that could easily do a job at League 1 level... if fit. And therein lies the problem. He isn't fit enough, which isn't his fault, it's just those niggling injuries that come with age. It'll be sod's law that he signs for someone else, stays fit, plays 40+ games for them and we'll be kicking ourselves this time next season but I'll bet he isn't cheap and, with finances as I'm sure they are going to be for now, I guess he was just too much of a risk to take.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest3338

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2020, 16:49:13 pm »

We definitely need a player of that type. Shaun McWilliams may yet grow into that role but I think we need someone experienced in now. Could we ask Wilder/Knill for suggestions?
And risk another Rob Page?!
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2020, 17:06:07 pm »

Our best performances all came when McCormack was in the team. He's still a terrific player that could easily do a job at League 1 level... if fit. And therein lies the problem. He isn't fit enough, which isn't his fault, it's just those niggling injuries that come with age. It'll be sod's law that he signs for someone else, stays fit, plays 40+ games for them and we'll be kicking ourselves this time next season but I'll bet he isn't cheap and, with finances as I'm sure they are going to be for now, I guess he was just too much of a risk to take.
Not ALL our best performances. Crawley away?
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2020, 17:39:40 pm »

Shay McCartan linked...

http://d3d4football.com/northampton-town-close-in-on-versatile-forward/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:57:45 am by memyhead » Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2020, 18:08:37 pm »

Ok, all the best performances I saw.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2020, 19:05:29 pm »

Although if I recall correctly, Steve Arnold had a bit to do with that one...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2020, 19:29:41 pm »

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crawley+v+northampton+youtube&docid=608024123225343100&mid=5A7953D2FED399C121CE5A7953D2FED399C121CE&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Our worst performance of the season. 
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2020, 19:30:51 pm »

Grin Grin
I think Wilder and Knill were better at recruiting players than managers Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2020, 21:19:43 pm »

😂😂 touché. Whilst I am on most of our problems post Wilder we’re down to mental attitude regarding the players we recruited. Loads of us pointed out we needed a general on the pitch and we just didn’t get it. As soon as we did look what happened? Say what you like about supporters and the nonsense we come out with, when you get a strong collective opinion it’s usually right? Anyway now McCormack has gone we are all getting twitchy because most can see we desperately need a direct replacement? I reckon Curle has it covered, at least he might have........hopefully?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2020, 21:44:56 pm »

😂😂 touché. Whilst I am on most of our problems post Wilder we’re down to mental attitude regarding the players we recruited. Loads of us pointed out we needed a general on the pitch and we just didn’t get it. As soon as we did look what happened? Say what you like about supporters and the nonsense we come out with, when you get a strong collective opinion it’s usually right? Anyway now McCormack has gone we are all getting twitchy because most can see we desperately need a direct replacement? I reckon Curle has it covered, at least he might have........hopefully?

The recruitment under Page was, bar one or two notable exceptions (Matt Taylor over the summer and then Boateng and Eardley in the January), absolutely terrible. Nyatanga, Hanley, Wylde, McCourt, Beautyman, Sonupe, Gorre and JJ Hooper were no-where near good enough. Revell, Zakuani, Anderson and Cornell were a little bit bit better than those, but still lacklustre signings for League 1.

I think KC's recruitment has been mostly spot on and I trust him to get it right again during the close season.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 21:46:57 pm by ClarenceInDefence » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 145   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: