The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 15:05:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 145   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2020 Transfer Window  (Read 208789 times)
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2020, 22:03:18 pm »

Hard disagree on Zakuani. I thought he was plenty good enough for League 1. Hard to argue that there werent a loss of dross recruited though.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2020, 04:55:31 am »

At our level of budget an amount of risk has to be factored in. Getting 2 out of 3 signings average proving to be a success is excellent, which KC and his team have done well.

Page managed 2 out of 12!

As with most teams, we need to sign 3 players with experience to start in the spine of the team.(centre half, playmaking defensive midfielder and a mobile centre forward)

Keeping Wharton and Morton, now we are in League 1, will be essential.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2020, 04:57:27 am »

😂😂 touché. Whilst I am on most of our problems post Wilder we’re down to mental attitude regarding the players we recruited. Loads of us pointed out we needed a general on the pitch and we just didn’t get it. As soon as we did look what happened? Say what you like about supporters and the nonsense we come out with, when you get a strong collective opinion it’s usually right? Anyway now McCormack has gone we are all getting twitchy because most can see we desperately need a direct replacement? I reckon Curle has it covered, at least he might have........hopefully?

You may want to revise that opinion if you take a look at the Cheltenham thread and read through the pelters KC was getting after the side was announced for the second leg. Same as all the experts on here screaming for us to get rid of Bayo as he was past his sell by date. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2020, 08:32:37 am »

Hard disagree on Zakuani. I thought he was plenty good enough for League 1. Hard to argue that there werent a loss of dross recruited though.
Zakuani was a great player for us - he just wasn’t available enough . He isn’t in the same category as the other lightweights from that season (Revell and Cornell excepted ).
One of the issues this coming season is the amount of players on contract that were not good enough last time around in league 2 . They are unlikely to improve next season as we step up and I wonder if conversations are going on about how much game time they will get .
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2020, 12:06:58 pm »

We definitely need a player of that type. Shaun McWilliams may yet grow into that role but I think we need someone experienced in now.

You realise that we aren't going to have the squad depth of last season?

Shaun McWilliams is more than good enough to replace McCormack. I think he is vastly underrated by Cobblers fans and he has the potential to outgrow us within the next two seasons. Were it not for his injuries preventing him from playing a full uninterrupted season I think he would have already. On his day he can be unplayable due to his tenacity and timing in the challenge; he is the natural heir to McCormack.

To a lesser extent I think Pollock can be a good player for us. I'd have him as a rotation option providing cover to Watson/Hoskins in midfield. I think he showed great maturity this year and that he has good technique and composure. With his rate of growth he should be given game time too.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2020, 12:24:19 pm »

Shaun McWilliams is more than good enough to replace McCormack. I think he is vastly underrated by Cobblers fans and he has the potential to outgrow us within the next two seasons. Were it not for his injuries preventing him from playing a full uninterrupted season I think he would have already. On his day he can be unplayable due to his tenacity and timing in the challenge; he is the natural heir to McCormack.

To a lesser extent I think Pollock can be a good player for us. I'd have him as a rotation option providing cover to Watson/Hoskins in midfield. I think he showed great maturity this year and that he has good technique and composure. With his rate of growth he should be given game time too.
Totally agree.

It was rumoured Derby County wanted to  sign McWilliams before his injury, so they obviously think he has Championship potential.

Like Pollock and Morgan Roberts it will be interesting how they are intergrated into the first team.

The future should be bright.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2020, 13:31:42 pm »

Not seen enough of Roberts to judge. Also got Ballinger and Johnston now, as well as Harding and Chukwumeka, so interesting to see where they sit in the pecking order.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2020, 14:31:17 pm »

Shaun McWilliams is more than good enough to replace McCormack.

Cannot agree to this assertion; the only thing he has in common with McCormack is that he too is injury prone and lasts about the same time in a game - pitch wise. Based on current situation/form Pollock appears to be the better prospect.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2020, 14:44:16 pm »

Cannot agree to this assertion; the only thing he has in common with McCormack is that he too is injury prone and lasts about the same time in a game - pitch wise. Based on current situation/form Pollock appears to be the better prospect.

That's fine, but I feel very confident you will be proven wrong on that.

As for them having nothing in common but injuries... Watch closer and you will see. Tenacity, composure, demanding more from others around him, dogged determination, etc. If you can't see the similarities, then I don't know what to say.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2020, 15:01:06 pm »

I don’t think it’s as simple to replace McCormack with someone in just terms of ability, it’s the other maybe less noticeable aspects of experience and character that effect the rest of the team that also need to be replaced.

Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2020, 15:10:26 pm »

I don’t think it’s as simple to replace McCormack with someone in just terms of ability, it’s the other maybe less noticeable aspects of experience and character that effect the rest of the team that also need to be replaced.

correct - he bossed the last 2 games this season. experience and nous alongside his ability.

comparing mcwilliams to him is madness - i think he will make a good player when he is fit and gets a run of games in one position - but i dont think holding midfielder is his place - his energy is his biggest plus currently, and that was the one thing 53 year old mccormack didnt have - but i know on current form who i would rather in my team
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2020, 15:14:15 pm »

FACT: Shaun has played nearly 80 games (when selected) in the last 3 seasons, so where do you get your quote 'too injury prone' from?

Surely your memory goes back more than the last 4 months!
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2020, 15:16:45 pm »

You may want to revise that opinion if you take a look at the Cheltenham thread and read through the pelters KC was getting after the side was announced for the second leg. Same as all the experts on here screaming for us to get rid of Bayo as he was past his sell by date. Wink
True that there were a lot of critics, not sure it was a strong collective opinion though? I for one thought we would go through no problem and said so at the time. For which by the way I have shockingly received absolutely no credit for whatsoever on here? Just shows how high the bar is when trying to impress this lot?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2020, 15:25:14 pm »

Zakuani was a great player for us - he just wasn’t available enough . He isn’t in the same category as the other lightweights from that season (Revell and Cornell excepted ).
One of the issues this coming season is the amount of players on contract that were not good enough last time around in league 2 . They are unlikely to improve next season as we step up and I wonder if conversations are going on about how much game time they will get .
Might be a tad controversial, but I think clubs that recruit African Internationals are bonkers at this level? It’s bad enough in the prem when one of your star players buggers off to the African Cup of Nations, but in Div1/2 it’s insane? Fifa need to sort the timing of that competition out because I reckon it’s on a few clubs minds when dealing in the transfer market and may impact on the opportunities for some players from African countries?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 15:28:17 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2020, 15:53:02 pm »

Perhaps my assessment of Zakuani seems a little harsh, I just found him to be particularly mistake prone however and that was when he wasn't injured or on international duty. I still remember his last game, which ended early due to his getting injured by bizarrely tripping himself up while trying to make a simple clearance. The fact that it can be argued he was one of the 'better' Page signings says it all about his recruitment really.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2020, 16:49:51 pm »

With regards to McWilliams I do think he has stalled a bit in the last season or do. That said this is probably because he set such a high standard for himself when he first hit the first team.
 He also has a slight curse or benefit depending on how you view things. He is a utility player that’ll do a job wherever you ask him so this doesn’t always give him a clear identity. Thought when he filled in at fullback he looked good but really think a centre midfield position he could shine. It’s a big season for him.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
RowN

View Profile
Level 5 Eighth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2020, 16:57:54 pm »

Sorry, but I liked McCormack, for you would know the opposition would be scared about being ‘taken out’. I think you need someone who has this fear factor, and so far of what I have seen of McWilliams, although good technically, is someone who is a bit light weight... and who likes could be easily run off the ball..
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2020, 17:28:07 pm »

Shame we no longer have the services of Turnbull. A very capable holding midfielder as well as a very good defender.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2020, 17:30:49 pm »

That's fine, but I feel very confident you will be proven wrong on that.

As for them having nothing in common but injuries... Watch closer and you will see. Tenacity, composure, demanding more from others around him, dogged determination, etc. If you can't see the similarities, then I don't know what to say.

Not in the same class at the moment.gives the ball away far too easily. Doesn't read the game and gets bypassed in midfield. He badly  needs to pick his game up this season
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2020, 17:43:41 pm »

Not in the same class at the moment.gives the ball away far too easily. Doesn't read the game and gets bypassed in midfield. He badly  needs to pick his game up this season

That will get a response or two Wink
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 145   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: