The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:14:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 145   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2020 Transfer Window  (Read 208555 times)
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2020, 10:53:57 am »

KT spoke about this, any players that are being 'signed' cant be registered and finalised until the window opens and gets ratified with the EFL / FA. I guess in theory until its registered they can change their minds but would be in breach of contract? He hinted that we wouldnt announce until the window was open and everything was finalised, even if we have agreements with players.

I imagine a lot of clubs will be the same and there will be a lot of announcements on the day it opens.

Sensible to be honest, I have only just got over Giles Coke's treachery  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

TheShoeArmy1897

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2020, 11:15:48 am »

if that EFL Hub account on Twitter told me my name, I would check my passport

However, they have just mentioned that Sheffield Wednesday are interested in Goode

I would have thought theres a much longer list than that interested but let's see!
Report Spam   Logged

Big City lights have never, and will never ever bother me
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2020, 11:46:50 am »

I wouldn’t worry too much we all know the score anyway...
Sold to higher level club
Undisclosed fee...
Not until the end of the window though as still on a season ticket drive...

Nearer the start of next season we will sign a load of loans and free transfers with no long term ambition whilst trotting out excuses about coronavirus etc..

All very plausible if it weren’t for the fact that Swindon for example were prepared to pay £200k plus for a striker but lost out to blackpool.

It’s also worth remembering that Swindon didn’t have a record breaking cup run that pulled in roughly £750k (250k of which was definitely a bonus that was conveniently forgotten about especially now we need to strengthen for a higher level)

Last time we were in this league KT proclaimed this club needed extra investment to be competitive in this league...
The chinese shambles ensued.

This year it’s obvious from his own mouth that KT isn’t the man to help make us a league one club as he hasn’t the money.
This year it’ll be even more stark as owners can invest in clubs in order to buy players but can no longer claim the money as loans to the club that need to be paid back

The stadium needs addressing by the end of the month and better players need signing to help us stay in this division.

It won’t be long before we find out if our owners can compete with the likes of Swindon and actually go after decent signings or string us along on the way to a quick relegation.

I know what I think but I very much hope I’m wrong...

Let’s hope KT makes a better job of getting investors on board this time so we have a fighting chance or maybe just maybe he will fund things himself....

Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2020, 12:00:45 pm »

Undisclosed fee...

Nearer the start of next season we will sign a load of loans and free transfers with no long term ambition whilst trotting out excuses about coronavirus etc..

All very plausible if it weren’t for the fact that Swindon for example were prepared to pay £200k plus for a striker but lost out to blackpool.

It’s also worth remembering that Swindon didn’t have a record breaking cup run that pulled in roughly £750k (250k of which was definitely a bonus that was conveniently forgotten about especially now we need to strengthen for a higher level)

Last time we were in this league KT proclaimed this club needed extra investment to be competitive in this league...

This year it’s obvious from his own mouth that KT isn’t the man to help make us a league one club as he hasn’t the money.
This year it’ll be even more stark as owners can invest in clubs in order to buy players but can no longer claim the money as loans to the club that need to be paid back

The stadium needs addressing by the end of the month and better players need signing to help us stay in this division.

It won’t be long before we find out if our owners can compete with the likes of Swindon and actually go after decent signings or string us along on the way to a quick relegation.

Let’s hope KT makes a better job of getting investors on board this time so we have a fighting chance or maybe just maybe he will fund things himself....

Who do you suggest takes over the club with the investment needed?

It is a VERY short list!
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2020, 12:08:01 pm »

Undisclosed fee...

Which would you say you dislike least?

a. Kelvin Thomas
b. The Cobblers
c. Football

If the answer is c. perhaps you should move to Swindon Wink Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2020, 12:19:40 pm »

I’m only posting facts.

Under KT we cannot sustain league one football without extra investment.

Not my words but KTs

He said that extra investment was needed to take us to the next level and make us a competitive league one club....

Nothing’s changed finance wise since the last time we were in this division(especially the redevelopment)

These are facts.

Given this what are people’s expectations for the season ahead.

I’m afraid I see a season of struggle with an uncompetitive squad , low on the required quality leading to an instant return to league two.

We get into league one can’t afford to compete in this league, don’t spend and go back down

Nothing will be different to the last time around imo
Player sales for undisclosed fees , minimum investment in the squad with no long term plan on league one stability and a quick return to league two.

Sorry for the negativity but I see us as the Norwich of league one (happy to make up the numbers but not prepared to invest to stay in the division and build for the future)

It’s always been the same and I’d love the chairman to come out and state what he plans to do differently this time around.

Maybe we will see a couple of ‘statement of intent permanent signings’ but it’s more likely we will sell anyone of value and meekly accept a season of struggle...

What do others actually think will happen??
Will we start the season with a stronger squad than the one that came up or will we be cannon fodder??
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2020, 12:29:16 pm »

Wycombe Wanderers, Accrington Stanley, Burton Albion? They managed it.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2020, 12:40:49 pm »

Wycombe Wanderers, Accrington Stanley, Burton Albion? They managed it.
I couldn’t agree more but how do they do it?
Do they break up a team each time they get promoted?
They’re doing something we can’t do as I can’t remember us spending more than two seasons in league one before coming back down.
In the case of burton they spent money to progress again to the championship and I’m not sure if Wycombe broke up their team when they got promoted to league one
Either way we as a club seem incapable of sustaining league one football
That is something I’m sure we all can agree on given our recent history

Maybe this time it’ll be different but I’ve no idea why?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2020, 13:20:17 pm »

Will we start the season with a stronger squad than the one that came up or will we be cannon fodder??
Slightly stronger squad but think we'll do well to keep Goode. Hopefully get enough for him (will be undisclosed) to find a good enough replacement.
I think it'll be a boring mid table season. Start brightly and then hover around the middle. Win as many as we lose but a lot of draws.

The undisclosed annoyance (not just from you) is one that I dont understand. Pretty much every sale outside of the premier league seems to be undisclosed now. Apparently its the buying clubs decision, so if Goode is sold for undisclosed it wont be KT or KC decision.
Report Spam   Logged
guest216

« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2020, 13:34:19 pm »

It’s not complicated is it? I’m as thick as pig 5h1t and I get it. The intellect of an amoeba and they end up running a football club? Mind you, they shine like beacons of wisdom compared to the cunnts running the show?

The problem is conflict of interest. It's common sense if your primary motivation is securing a sustainable future for the club. However, a lot of directors will be far more interested in either extracting a salary from the club or gaining a return in investment. For the latter, it makes sense to risk spending vast amounts (via loans against the club) to secure promotion then look to subsequently resell the club at a higher value than you bought. If it doesn't pan out and the club goes bust, you just exit without any liability. 

That's the main issue, and why the FA need to step up and offer clubs more protection from the mercenaries.

However - fans are also need to realign their expectations. If we're constantly hounding owners to offer better wages to attract players we can't sustain off the club's own revenue, it's not rocket science to see where that leads....

OK - so what benefactors do you know are happy to subside us for a couple million a year to do this? What's their incentive? What happens if we don't give them a return on investment and we're saddled with the subsequent debt?

I dunno maybe we can ask a Chinese sports company or something.....
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2020, 14:00:50 pm »

The problem is conflict of interest. It's common sense if your primary motivation is securing a sustainable future for the club. However, a lot of directors will be far more interested in either extracting a salary from the club or gaining a return in investment. For the latter, it makes sense to risk spending vast amounts (via loans against the club) to secure promotion then look to subsequently resell the club at a higher value than you bought. If it doesn't pan out and the club goes bust, you just exit without any liability. 

That's the main issue, and why the FA need to step up and offer clubs more protection from the mercenaries.

However - fans are also need to realign their expectations. If we're constantly hounding owners to offer better wages to attract players we can't sustain off the club's own revenue, it's not rocket science to see where that leads....

OK - so what benefactors do you know are happy to subside us for a couple million a year to do this? What's their incentive? What happens if we don't give them a return on investment and we're saddled with the subsequent debt?

I dunno maybe we can ask a Chinese sports company or something.....
Or one of the 40 interested parties interested in buying Wigan who have substantially higher debt and a higher wage bill??

#noownersoutthere
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2020, 14:13:47 pm »

I’m only posting facts.

Under KT we cannot sustain league one football without extra investment.

Not my words but KTs

He said that extra investment was needed to take us to the next level and make us a competitive league one club....

Nothing’s changed finance wise since the last time we were in this division(especially the redevelopment)

These are facts.

Given this what are people’s expectations for the season ahead.

I’m afraid I see a season of struggle with an uncompetitive squad , low on the required quality leading to an instant return to league two.

We get into league one can’t afford to compete in this league, don’t spend and go back down

Nothing will be different to the last time around imo
Player sales for undisclosed fees , minimum investment in the squad with no long term plan on league one stability and a quick return to league two.

Sorry for the negativity but I see us as the Norwich of league one (happy to make up the numbers but not prepared to invest to stay in the division and build for the future)

It’s always been the same and I’d love the chairman to come out and state what he plans to do differently this time around.

Maybe we will see a couple of ‘statement of intent permanent signings’ but it’s more likely we will sell anyone of value and meekly accept a season of struggle...

Look, you're probably not far off the mark. The lot of a Cobblers fan is to hope for the best but expect the worst. But don't be too down, we've only just got promoted. First requirement for sustainability in League 1 is to get there,  Smiley. Next is to recruit well to avoid relegation, KC has done well on this score so far,  Smiley. To push on then needs more investment as KT said, still true,  Undecided.
Last time in League 1 we did throw money at the squad, unfortunately they proved to be the wrong players and the money didn't exist. I'm sure KT learned a lesson by getting his fingers badly burnt and the club appears to be better run now.
So let's hope for the best, many people predicted a season of struggle last year, I'd be thrilled if we struggled into the play-offs again. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2020, 14:21:48 pm »

Look, you're probably not far off the mark. The lot of a Cobblers fan is to hope for the best but expect the worst. But don't be too down, we've only just got promoted. First requirement for sustainability in League 1 is to get there,  Smiley. Next is to recruit well to avoid relegation, KC has done well on this score so far,  Smiley. To push on then needs more investment as KT said, still true,  Undecided.
Last time in League 1 we did throw money at the squad, unfortunately they proved to be the wrong players and the money didn't exist. I'm sure KT learned a lesson by getting his fingers badly burnt and the club appears to be better run now.
So let's hope for the best, many people predicted a season of struggle last year, I'd be thrilled if we struggled into the play-offs again. Smiley

Does that mean we’re not going to get Jack Marriott now ? 😉.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2020, 14:27:23 pm »

Does that mean we’re not going to get Jack Marriott now ? 😉.

As I said, I never thought we would Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2020, 14:32:50 pm »

As I said, I never thought we would Wink

Only joking mate, I forgot how much I hate silly season - all the usual suspects come out of the woodwork with their stories of woe. Thankfully it’s not as long a window this year.
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #275 on: July 22, 2020, 14:36:58 pm »

With the amount of players already / soon to be released & available it really is a buyers market.

I'd rather we take out time to bring in the best quality / characters we possible can for the best value.
I have much more faith in our scouting team since Melville left.

I still don't understand how the proposed salary cap will work as I believe it's gonna be 1.5M in L2 & 2.5M in L1

Yet, Bolton are allegedly paying stupid money for players already...

Still, I guess if it's down to the ELF to manage this they'll be fine!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2020, 14:54:03 pm »

Agreed  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
guest216

« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2020, 15:03:00 pm »

Or one of the 40 interested parties interested in buying Wigan who have substantially higher debt and a higher wage bill??

#noownersoutthere

You mean Wigan who got bought by a hedge fund that then put the club straight into admin a month later?

Or maybe Bury, Wimbledon, Scarborough, Halifax, Hereford that no longer exist.

Or the multitude of existing FL clubs absolutely riddled with debt as we head into a financial crisis.

Tell me, exactly why would a non-fan investor subsidize us for millions per year? What motive have they got that is aligned with the future sustainability and benefit of the club? How do we ensure they aren't another dodgy Chinese company, or Cardoza?

I've followed the forum for over a decade and you've always been the first to chirp up over signing 6 figure strikers. Every bloody window.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2020, 15:06:20 pm »

#noownersoutthere

they had 5 genuine offers.

He added that "the bids were all similar bar one" and that "the decision took into account how much was being offered and the ability to meet certain criteria"....

It is understood the administrators declined to speak to prospective purchasers who were keen on using land owned by the club - which includes two training grounds - for development.

Isnt clear if the developers were included in the 5 offers though
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2020, 15:22:47 pm »

You mean Wigan who got bought by a hedge fund that then put the club straight into admin a month later?

Or maybe Bury, Wimbledon, Scarborough, Halifax, Hereford that no longer exist.

Or the multitude of existing FL clubs absolutely riddled with debt as we head into a financial crisis.

Tell me, exactly why would a non-fan investor subsidize us for millions per year? What motive have they got that is aligned with the future sustainability and benefit of the club? How do we ensure they aren't another dodgy Chinese company, or Cardoza?

I've followed the forum for over a decade and you've always been the first to chirp up over signing 6 figure strikers. Every bloody window.
Just pointing out that the likes of peterborough our local rivals spend money and stay up and we don’t and go down
I’m sorry if the reality is lost upon you.
Anyway let’s compare our squads with other comparable clubs come kick off
You never know we might show some ambition....
Currently we have just one contracted striker (two if you count Hoskins) and one first team centre half.
We certainly need some decent additions in this division....

Congratulations on following the forum for ten years your post rate is very low for that amount of time but maybe you’ve had ten different log ins  Grin
Anyway let’s see what things are like next month....
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 145   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: