The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:10:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 145   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2020 Transfer Window  (Read 208635 times)
guest3359

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #440 on: July 30, 2020, 14:42:01 pm »

Completely agree he's gone, I thought when the season ended that we would do well to keep him and with clubs declaring interest then its almost impossible.
But the club seem, for the first time, to be playing hard ball a bit. Making clubs make an offer and not giving them a price, and seemingly not accepting the first offer.

One thing that is almost guaranteed is that it will be undisclosed. As I've posted before I'm sure its the buying clubs decision on whether to state publicly the fee
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #441 on: July 30, 2020, 14:46:15 pm »

Some (re) building work required.....

Interesting because a sizeable majority here (including me) suggested should we nick a promotion place the current squad wasn't good enough to stay up - two good results and suddenly most of that same squad are prized assets - fickle football fans at their best
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #442 on: July 30, 2020, 14:52:50 pm »

Interesting because a sizeable majority here (including me) suggested should we nick a promotion place the current squad wasn't good enough to stay up - two good results and suddenly most of that same squad are prized assets - fickle football fans at their best

True, and even after the first leg in the playoffs many thought the same. A lot of that stemmed from the style of play though....we'd seem occasions when they proved they were good enough to step up (Burton, both Derby games at least) but we still had the Crawleys and Scunnys to balance that out.

Whatever subtle tweaks were made for the second leg and the final worked, and we saw two very good performances from that set of players. That would have surely made people sit up and think "hang on, when we want to/are allowed to play a bit of football we look pretty decent".....

We just didn't see it consistently enough throughout our league 2 season to suggest we could survive in League 1 with the same personnel and the same tactics.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #443 on: July 30, 2020, 15:05:23 pm »

"Past form" perhaps?

Are we all agreed now that its pretty much a given that he's gone? If there are 6 or 7 clubs rumoured to be interested i'd assume at least 1 or 2 will follow up. We're not the type of club that offers him a new double your money five year contract in order to try and keep him here.

So no Goode, Wharton or Turnbull.....not forgetting Jay Williams (who I thought was a decent prospect) also released. Some (re) building work required.....pre-season training begins next week!
Really is quite laughable

The squad* is returning to training next week and it’s probable all of our centre backs and both of our play off final starting forwards will be missing.
It’s been a month now since the play offs and it seems we are hoping for the best recruitment wise rather than having any targets that we want to sign
If we have got targets then it’s obvious they are signing elsewhere and we are struggling to compete at league one level which is a point I raised a couple of weeks back.
We are the Norwich city of league one , happy to make up the numbers but no ambition or finance to try to stabilise and kick on.

*squad as in the handful of players left from the play off final including two or three who are surplus to requirements

Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #444 on: July 30, 2020, 15:07:18 pm »

Reading between the lines of Wharton’s interview earlier this week it sounds to be like he’s had enough of loans (understandable when you get to 22 and you’ve already had 5 loan stints) and wants yo fight for his place at Blackburn. You can’t really blame him if that’s what he decides.

If Blackburn really are in for Goode then it doesn't sound as if Wharton is likely to be in their long-term plans (signing another young centre back for decent money with a similar pedigree). Another option would be a part-exchange deal e.g. Wharton + 500K for Goode - which would potentially be a good bit of business.

Personally, I rate Goode very highly. An overlooked quality of his game which marks him out as a potential Championship player is his capacity to bring the ball out from defence and even to pop up on the overlap and get a cross in (in the the style of Wilder's centre backs at Sheff Utd). His relative ease on the ball and his leadership qualities is what gives him of the edge on Turnbull and Wharton (both of whom are excellent centre backs in their own right).

As a former England centre half himself, Curle has demonstrated a strong ability to develop and improve defensive players. Pierre certainly improved under him and Goode and Wharton came on leaps and bounds this year.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #445 on: July 30, 2020, 15:29:28 pm »

"Past form" perhaps?

Are we all agreed now that its pretty much a given that he's gone? If there are 6 or 7 clubs rumoured to be interested i'd assume at least 1 or 2 will follow up. We're not the type of club that offers him a new double your money five year contract in order to try and keep him here.

So no Goode, Wharton or Turnbull.....not forgetting Jay Williams (who I thought was a decent prospect) also released. Some (re) building work required.....pre-season training begins next week!

Well he hasn't as yet gone; plenty of rumours from not particularly good source(s). For so many interested supposed interested parties not one offer Roll Eyes You would have thought one of the quoted parties made an unacceptable offer. If somebody had made an offer the Chron would have been all over it!

Ps : News Now does not even mention Goode
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 15:42:10 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #446 on: July 30, 2020, 15:30:10 pm »

Agree entirely bungle but there are still haters on here who don’t rate him because he occasionally engages in the dark arts.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #447 on: July 30, 2020, 15:40:40 pm »

The squad* is returning to training next week and it’s probable all of our centre backs and both of our play off final starting forwards will be missing.
It’s been a month now since the play offs and it seems we are hoping for the best recruitment wise rather than having any targets that we want to sign
If we have got targets then it’s obvious they are signing elsewhere and we are struggling to compete at league one level which is a point I raised a couple of weeks back.
We are the Norwich city of league one , happy to make up the numbers but no ambition or finance to try to stabilise and kick on.

*squad as in the handful of players left from the play off final including two or three who are surplus to requirements

What facts do you have to back up your statements?

Clubs have only signed the odd player, like us, because of the current situation. Also last season has still not finished in the Championship.

As previous pre-seasons fans will have to show a sign of patience and wait, as the club stated, for some of the signings to be close to the new season (whenever that is confirmed).

Trust in the recruitment department, as for once they have a successful track record!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3386

« Reply #448 on: July 30, 2020, 15:45:16 pm »

Yep.. that right, we have no targets at all even though they have clearly said we do, but obviously they are bare faced liars, our player recruitment dept are treating it like a Sunday league team, whoever turns up on the first day of training can sign. Every other team have completed there recruitment and have all there squad in place already , we are the only ones who haven't.

Clearly Morton was going to be missing from the start of pre-season as he was on lone.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 30, 2020, 15:51:28 pm »

Yep.. that right, we have no targets at all even though they have clearly said we do, but obviously they are bare faced liars, our player recruitment dept are treating it like a Sunday league team, whoever turns up on the first day of training can sign. Every other team have completed there recruitment and have all there squad in place already , we are the only ones who haven't.

Clearly Morton was going to be missing from the start of pre-season as he was on lone.
+1
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #450 on: July 30, 2020, 15:52:09 pm »

Charlie Goode is worth £1m all day long, he’s young, strong, reads the game well and has a will to win.
As for Oliver, we can do a lot lot better IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3355

« Reply #451 on: July 30, 2020, 15:57:04 pm »

There is a global pandemic, Shoemaker. Put your knickers back on.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 30, 2020, 16:16:36 pm »

Completely agree he's gone, I thought when the season ended that we would do well to keep him and with clubs declaring interest then its almost impossible.
But the club seem, for the first time, to be playing hard ball a bit. Making clubs make an offer and not giving them a price, and seemingly not accepting the first offer.

One thing that is almost guaranteed is that it will be undisclosed. As I've posted before I'm sure its the buying clubs decision on whether to state publicly the fee
Why do say the buying club makes this decision? Surely if we said we got 1m for Goode, every player we went in for IF they were under contract the selling club would be asking for an inflated transfer fee? Also if a player was out of contract their Agent would be asking for inflated wages, knowing the we'd got a few quid?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 30, 2020, 16:49:13 pm »

Charlie Goode is worth £1m all day long, he’s young, strong, reads the game well and has a will to win.
As for Oliver, we can do a lot lot better IMHO.

Agreed on Goode but Oliver now bit of a talisman! Still replaceable tho’.
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #454 on: July 30, 2020, 17:02:06 pm »

+1

You do realise that he was taking one...No? I thought not.  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #455 on: July 30, 2020, 17:28:23 pm »

I think it's a win-win for us anyway. Either Goode stays for another 6 months of a year and we have a good league one Centre back, or he goes and we get a decent amount of  money, probaly between a third up to half of our yearly playing budget. Only way we lose out if he goes for under-value, I think anything over a million is acceptable really.

Looking at Kelvins comments about the budget, I think my concern would be more along the lines of whether we can get some of the surplus to requirements off our books in the environment we're currently in. Either Martin, Lines, Smith and Warburton step it up a notch (which is far from impossible if anyone remembers the turn around Langmead had), or we're going to have a chunk of our budget taken up by players who aren't up to scratch. We've got 19 players under contract, 6 of those are first or second year scholars with no significant amount of game time, and 4 of them have struggled to make an impact in the league below, so that's a lot of strengthening to happen and probably not a great amount of finances to do it.

I do wonder if we'll try the Dean Austin experiment again and try and play the youth teamers a little bit more?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 30, 2020, 17:29:28 pm »

You do realise that he was taking one...No? I thought not.  Cool
+1
Report Spam   Logged
Hallsy02

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 30, 2020, 22:32:12 pm »

Just saw a twitter post saying Goode to posh for 2.7million, pretty sure it’s BS tho
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 30, 2020, 22:48:40 pm »

Just saw a twitter post saying Goode to posh for 2.7million, pretty sure it’s BS tho

Surprised that a well meaning astute supporter like yourself gives the time of day to Twitter Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #459 on: July 30, 2020, 22:54:51 pm »

I'm not sure what Goode is worth in todays probably somewhat devalued market but I sincerely hope KC gets a fair share of it to assist in finding a replacement or replacements?  Must admit that I'm a little concerned that we have had no news on Oliver resigning or not and perhaps more importantly the current situation on obtaining Morton and Wharton's services for next season.  I would have thought if getting either or both of those two back on loan was going to happen it might just have been decided one way or the other by now.  Also I thought some of our windfall from the FA Cup run would be used on strengthening the squad.  We did not use much of it in the January window so presumably some of that is also left?  If not where did that go? Keeping club afloat in these difficult times I suppose would be any reason given.  Please keep safe all of you, I don't think we are 'out of the woods' as yet with this awful pandemic.
If the owners are 5 million in debt they have been blowing a million a season on average? I’m guessing they’re not that keen on adding to it? Although regularly chucking a million here and there at the club doesn’t seem a problem for some supporters? Unless it was their money of course, where they go beserk if the club stick an extra 10p on a cup of Bovril?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 145   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: